Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Off Topic Thread

Edman, I also found a way out of the ACA shit, at least until 2016. I am just going to get a series of short term health plans, I will have to re-qualify every 6 months, but my family are all physical specimens, so we're good.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Youve already got enough for retirment? you must have one helluva 401k
    1 unit = 300 $

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555 View Post
    Youve already got enough for retirment? you must have one helluva 401k
    Yeah, for traditional retirement at age 65. I don't have enough to retire today forever. I am about 10 years away from that, if I change nothing with my current life. If I downgrade my expenses to $2000 per month, and continue working at the same rate, I am about 5 years away from forever retirement.

I don't have a great 401k plan, I just save almost half my income and I don't require a lot of money to live on. It is a lot easier to reduce your needs than it is to save more for an extravagant life. I have found that the things that bring me the most happiness don't cost much, so I don't need that much.
    Last edited by MMA_scientist; 03-10-2014 at 05:16 PM.

That is nice. The best things in life are free. It reminds me of a quote from a friend of mine a long time ago. He said some of the best times in our life were when we were broke. That said, money is nice to have because it brings about options. We can talk all day about how unimportant it is but if were too broke to go out to dinner we will be pissed.
    1 unit = 300 $

That is nice. The best things in life are free. It reminds me of a quote from a friend of mine a long time ago. He said some of the best times in our life were when we were broke. That said, money is nice to have because it brings about options. We can talk all day about how unimportant it is but if were too broke to go out to dinner we will be pissed.
    Not if you don't go to dinner, or see any reason to go to dinner. I can't retire in 10 years, and then take trips to Italy every year. But then, I don't care about that so I am not pissed. I wouldn't want to be completely broke, but I also don't want to do the "work 40 years, retire 10 years, die" plan.

Yeah i hear ya. If the things you enjoy are free and readily available at your fingertips it might be worth it for you. You can always try scaling down your hours and trying to maintain your business relationships so you can go back to working full time if you change your mind.
    1 unit = 300 $

Yeah i hear ya. If the things you enjoy are free and readily available at your fingertips it might be worth it for you. You can always try scaling down your hours and trying to maintain your business relationships so you can go back to working full time if you change your mind.
    There is a balance for everyone, I do like eating out, but then, I can live what I consider to a pretty hedonistic life on $2000 per month if I have no house payment. My current non-mortgage expenses are about $2500-3000, but some of that is gas related to work, and utilities for a bigger house. I really don't even try to be frugal right now, but I just don't spend a lot of money on shit.

Well if i was you i would work two or three days per week. You dont need every day off. Going from working five days per week to working three would be very nice. If you were being literal about working one day.
    1 unit = 300 $

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    Edman, I also found a way out of the ACA shit, at least until 2016. I am just going to get a series of short term health plans, I will have to re-qualify every 6 months, but my family are all physical specimens, so we're good.
    I just read this. Good news. Fuck the government. Lol. Nice, you seem resourceful.
    1 unit = 300 $

I just read this. Good news. Fuck the government. Lol. Nice, you seem resourceful.
    Thanks. Yeah I am trying to stick it to the man. I don't know how resourceful I am, but I will take that. I think it is more that I am really a fringe of society type of person, trapped in a suburban dad body

Do you even like your job scientist? Or do you just like making money and wouldn't care about what job you did in life?

Considering moving into a cheap house I can pay cash for, and just messing around for all my days. My total monthly expenses will be about $2000, so I can pretty much work like one day per week or continue to work FT and retire in style soon.

Thoughts?

Worth the cost to kids and wife?
    I'd do what you really want to do. Kids are kids....and they're not going to care about a smaller house as long as they get nice things for Christmas and their birthday. Just find out if the wife really doesn't care or she's just saying that
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by poopoo333 View Post
    Do you even like your job scientist? Or do you just like making money and wouldn't care about what job you did in life?
    I like in as much as it is easy and I make good money. I don't actually enjoy the work though. I don't dislike it, it is just whatever.

I wouldn't say I don't care what I do, there are many things I would not do. But no, I don't like work.

I don't actually enjoy the work though. I don't dislike it, it is just whatever.
    Yeah, that pretty much sums up how I think I'm going to feel no matter what I do.

You know who has it well? I am not sure on the money they make, but these MMA "journalists". Some dumb bitch at UFC 168 got to sit front row in front of the cage with all the other reporters. You know what question she asked Weidman at the press conference? "Have you been training hard for this fight?" ...I wish I could make a living (even if it wasn't making a lot of money) by writing articles, doing interviews, and being flown out to multiple events to cover. I'd probably suck Ariel Helwani's dick for at least 5 minutes if he could help me make that happen.

Word is ariel is on the outs with the ufc because he covered bellators open workouts.
    1 unit = 300 $

Word is ariel is on the outs with the ufc because he covered bellators open workouts.
    Good. I think he's a douche anyway
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by poopoo333 View Post
    Yeah, that pretty much sums up how I think I'm going to feel no matter what I do.

You know who has it well? I am not sure on the money they make, but these MMA "journalists". Some dumb bitch at UFC 168 got to sit front row in front of the cage with all the other reporters. You know what question she asked Weidman at the press conference? "Have you been training hard for this fight?" ...I wish I could make a living (even if it wasn't making a lot of money) by writing articles, doing interviews, and being flown out to multiple events to cover. I'd probably suck Ariel Helwani's dick for at least 5 minutes if he could help me make that happen.
    They don't make shit. Most of them probably 35-40k a year. The top ones that have done it for decades and cover both sports (boxing and MMA) probably make 70k.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Good. I think he's a douche anyway
    Yeah so do i. This kinda goes to show you he is as well. Generally i dont side with dana white but the ufc did give the guy anjob on fox sports. He shouldnt be doing anything to help bellator at that point.
    1 unit = 300 $

He said some of the best times in our life were when we were broke.
    I tend to agree with that, I have a lot of good memories with my wife when we were broke. you really appreciate the little things when shit is going bad in your life.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter