Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Off Topic Thread

http://nypost.com/2014/05/19/two-mma...-club-bouncer/

NY post keeping it factual. Just a couple of "hulking" karate blackbelts...

Bro bjj works on the street. Renzo got a mounted armbar.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    http://nypost.com/2014/05/19/two-mma...-club-bouncer/

NY post keeping it factual. Just a couple of "hulking" karate blackbelts...

Bro bjj works on the street. Renzo got a mounted armbar.
    He's bringing back the karate aspect of jiu-jitsu.

Quote Originally Posted by Svino View Post
    He's bringing back the karate aspect of jiu-jitsu.
    exactly.

I really don't see the problem anyway (aside from the fact that a 50 year old man wants to hang in da club). These bouncers are usually douches and he probably thought he could say whatever he wanted to the crazy old mexican- then he got beat with a traffic cone. He's lucky it didn't get tweeted live like Renzo's last encounter.

exactly.

I really don't see the problem anyway (aside from the fact that a 50 year old man wants to hang in da club). These bouncers are usually douches and he probably thought he could say whatever he wanted to the crazy old mexican- then he got beat with a traffic cone. He's lucky it didn't get tweeted live like Renzo's last encounter.
    "To the crazy old mexican" this made me lol.

So how do you think bjj really fairs in the street? Have you ever had to use it on someone? Any friends have stories they shared with you? Im kinda curious how well someone that is pretty decent can actually get off on someone that is swinging at them.
    1 unit = 300 $

Btw still going strong. 17 days.
    1 unit = 300 $

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555 View Post
    "To the crazy old mexican" this made me lol.

So how do you think bjj really fairs in the street? Have you ever had to use it on someone? Any friends have stories they shared with you? Im kinda curious how well someone that is pretty decent can actually get off on someone that is swinging at them.
    I don't think there is a better martial art (including MMA) for self defense.

I have never had to use it, I have never been in a fight as an adult, and don't really plan on ever needing it. I train for fun, not self defense. I have had to restrain a few people and I train with some MMA guys though. Nearly everyone I train with has some story of using his grappling for self defense or humilation, but I take these with a grain of salt. Usually (actually always in the case of untrained) it is like play wrestling with my 7 year old. Not trying to act like a tough guy, but it really is super easy to manhandle untrained people. I can't really say this without sounding like a douche, but when I grapple with new people who come in or with a roudy buddy, it is like playing with a baby kitten, there is simply no possible way they could hurt me even if they were trying to punch and kick- they're basically helpless. I can't really explain it better than that, but that's how it feels. We do start on the ground though. But I think people overestimate how hard it s to get someone down (its not hard, takedown defense is a very specific skill that has to be trained). But I feel pretty confident that my odds would be good against almost anyone inside the bell curve of normal human size (I have no illusions about these NFL lineman sized guys who would smash my head like a pumpkin in the 2 minutes of gas they would have). There are a lot of guys who might "get the decision" in a street fight or self defense situation, but I feel pretty confident that I won't be hurt barring a gang beat down or 350# lineman.

Of course, I am a pretty big guy myself. I wouldn't feel as confident if I was 130#. IMO there is simply nothing you can do to make up for that size.

Still, I don't really care about self defense. I think it is unlikely I will ever need it, and in the off chance that I do, it would not justify the vast amounts of time I have spent training. If you like training, that is really the only reason to do it.
    Last edited by MMA_scientist; 05-20-2014 at 10:34 PM.

I guess you have the wrestling experience as well though. Straight bjj takedowns arent as good correct?
    1 unit = 300 $

Btw still going strong. 17 days.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

I guess you have the wrestling experience as well though. Straight bjj takedowns arent as good correct?
    Well, at my gym we have a wrestling class and a judo class. But yeah, most guys aren't very well versed in TDs. But my point is that it is a lot easier than you think it is to get someone down (especially if you don't care about what position you land in).

It can be tough to get someone down while they are swinging at you though. Id be worried about ending up on my back though but i guess if you have a good guard it doesnt matter.
    1 unit = 300 $

It can be tough to get someone down while they are swinging at you though. Id be worried about ending up on my back though but i guess if you have a good guard it doesnt matter.
    most of the time, people just tumble to the ground like a couple of idiots. And I find it easier to take someone down if they are swinging, because generally that means they are charging. IRL people aren't professional kickboxers who know how to measure distance and have the forethought to think about a tackle. Hell, usually people try to tackle you. And with regard to ending up on your back... I can't really explain it other than saying that the reversal is basically instantaneous. You aren't going to be able to stop me from slipping to your back unless you know you have to pummel from an underhook, and no one knows that unless they have spent a lot of time on the mat. 99% of people grab your head, and give up the back. Actually, I have never rolled with a newb that did not grab the head as a first instinct.

Honestly, the only way for you to truly get a feel for the skill gap is to go roll at a gym with someone decent, at least a competition level purple belt.

I am starting to beleive you know. I actually remember taking someone down once with a double leg. I was 23 and he was charging me down like you described as tackling. It was really easy and i only wrestled for one season when i was 16. How long have you been rolling for?
    1 unit = 300 $

ADDENDUM- FWIW, it would be the same thing if you went to a boxing gym and asked to box with a pro. You will get completely destroyed and won't land a single punch. It is the same thing in BJJ, I just happen to believe that BJJ is better for self defense. A lot of people don't agree. Though I wouldn't argue too much about it, because I think boxing or kickboxing or even karate will give you a pretty good advantage (or really any martial art). The benefit of grappling is that you can go full go and no one gets brain damage. And also, IMO the instinct of a bigger person is to bum rush and grab ahold of you in some way.

I am starting to beleive you know. I actually remember taking someone down once with a double leg. I was 23 and he was charging me down like you described as tackling. It was really easy and i only wrestled for one season when i was 16. How long have you been rolling for?
    I started wrestling when I was 11 and stopped competing when I was 22, though I still teach a wrestling class at my gym. I have done BJJ for 7 years. I did some other here and there stuff (MMA training for a couple years that was basically worthless; did a little judo in the off season, but never got good at it).

But really, I just think BJJ is the most fun thing to do in the world. That's why I do it. I have a good time and get a good workout in, I build friendships in the gym, and it keeps me supple and strong. I think the team feeling is why most people stick with it. You make friends, people are watching and caring about your progress, you get addicted.
    Last edited by MMA_scientist; 05-21-2014 at 11:09 AM.

BRB, taking Scientists tips and going to start a fight.

it keeps me supple

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. IWS View Post
    BRB, taking Scientists tips and going to start a fight.

I was just watching this... can't really stand Rener or Ryron though and I don't agree with their point in this video. I'm not trying to pretend like I am some self defense expert, I don't even care about it. I usually tune out when self defense comes into the conversation.

I was just watching this... can't really stand Rener or Ryron though and I don't agree with their point in this video. I'm not trying to pretend like I am some self defense expert, I don't even care about it. I usually tune out when self defense comes into the conversation.

Why don't you like them?
    1 unit = 300 $

I started wrestling when I was 11 and stopped competing when I was 22, though I still teach a wrestling class at my gym. I have done BJJ for 7 years. I did some other here and there stuff (MMA training for a couple years that was basically worthless; did a little judo in the off season, but never got good at it).

But really, I just think BJJ is the most fun thing to do in the world. That's why I do it. I have a good time and get a good workout in, I build friendships in the gym, and it keeps me supple and strong. I think the team feeling is why most people stick with it. You make friends, people are watching and caring about your progress, you get addicted.
    Wow so you have like 20 years of grappling experience. So I see it took 7 years to get a brown belt, how many days per week and weeks per year? Approx.
    1 unit = 300 $

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/5/21/57...ted-attack-mma

"In my entire 14-year career, I have never seen anything like this. At 1:30 a.m. a gray van pulled up, parked in the middle of the street, seven men exited the vehicle and started creating mayhem, screaming, pointing, starting to pick fights with the security guards. One man, [who] I later learned was Renzo, came in my direction, threw the velvet rope on the floor, ran straight into my chest and knocked me back onto the concrete floor onto my elbow. He was on top of me for 20 seconds, trying to punch me, but I wrapped both my arms around his neck so he couldn't hit me, before somebody pulled him off. All of the seven men were fighting, doing MMA moves on the guards, some of whom were injured. When the police arrived, they tried to get away, but the cops parked in front of their van, which was waiting with a driver. Retribution for me not allowing two of their masters into the venue last week. This was a carefully planned and coordinated attack. The police arrested all seven of them."

I'm not always that impressed with the Gracies.
    1 unit = 300 $