Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Off Topic Thread

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555 View Post

I'm not always that impressed with the Gracies.
    Renzo is a legit maniac. He has been like this since the beginning, not surprising at all. But the charges are just misdemeanor assault charges, so I also sort of doubt it was some organized gang beating. That story is pretty self serving, so it probably is not entirely true either. I have no doubt that Renzo did assault him like a lunatic though.

There are 3 kinds of Gracies:

the Rorion/Ryron/Rener (The Gracie Academy)group. These are the sell out hucksters who sued over the Gracie JJ trademark, sell the blue belts through online curriculum, and try to rewrite history. Helio invented leverage, the Gracie diet, all that nonsense. This is why I can't stand Rener or Ryron, they are complete hucksters, trying to make a quick buck while spouting blatant lies and never competing. They do train some MMA fighters but they seem like a cult and are super annoying.

the Renzo/Ralph type. Everyone respects them, but they are crazy all accounts. Extreme hardasses that are actually crazy.

the Roger/Kron/Ralek/Clark generation- these guys so far are level headed and actually back up the talk by competing. Kron and Ralek have shown some pretty strong douche tendencies though.

Royce/Rickson/Royler/Relson- These are the 2nd generation guys that really made gracie JJ popular in America (along with Renzo and Rolls). They have an overabundance of hubris but haven't really done anything super terrible IMO. They come off as douches a lot, but I think that is a family trait. Everyone respects the shit out of Relson.

The only person with the last name Gracie that comes off as a gentleman and scholar pretty much 100% of the time is Roger (Clark and Rolles are also legit grapplers that have not shown any real terrible qualities IMO).

Bottom line, many of them are bad people. But it is a huge family and every one of them is in the family business. If you did the same breakdown of my family, it would look a lot worse... some are dicks, some are not. One thing that can't really be argued is that for 1 family, they have a shitload of guys that are good fighters.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Wow so you have like 20 years of grappling experience. So I see it took 7 years to get a brown belt, how many days per week and weeks per year? Approx.
    I train 52 weeks per year, unless I am injured, which usually sets me out a couple weeks per year on average. I started out training 3-4x per week. Now it is more like 1-3x. I think 7 years is pretty typical for a brown. I will probably get my black in 3 more years. I think 10 years is about average.

Wow i cant believe you can buy a blue belt over the internet. I agree with you about roger. Lol at your last sentence.

It looks pretty typical of any family business. The older guys built it and the younger guys come in and fuck off and take advantage of it. Doesnt one of them have a rap video? That tells the whole tale imo.
    1 unit = 300 $

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    I train 52 weeks per year, unless I am injured, which usually sets me out a couple weeks per year on average. I started out training 3-4x per week. Now it is more like 1-3x. I think 7 years is pretty typical for a brown. I will probably get my black in 3 more years. I think 10 years is about average.
    Do you really have that much to learn? Will you have to prove yourself competing?
    1 unit = 300 $

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. IWS View Post
    poopooo

Whats your take on squatting? Ass to Ground? parallel?

Now that my back is fucked, I pretty much only go ass to ground at about 275, anything over that, I go parallel.

What say you?
    Back surgeon told me squat (with free weights) is the worst thing you can do to your back. Said to only use the machine that you press the weight up.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Wait for it.......

2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Wow i cant believe you can buy a blue belt over the internet. I agree with you about roger. Lol at your last sentence.

It looks pretty typical of any family business. The older guys built it and the younger guys come in and fuck off and take advantage of it. Doesnt one of them have a rap video? That tells the whole tale imo.

Ralek is the one with the Gi in a G video. That shit is priceless. Ralek seems to be doing better now, he is behind Metamoris and he actually was a pretty good MMA fighter in Pride (beating up an old man Sakuraba). He is also the one that is in the youtube video fighting a kid who claimed to be a kickboxer in his backyard when he was 15. Of Rorians sons, he has the most cred.

Renzo, Rickson, Rolls, Royler, Royce and Rorion are the 2nd generation. They actually made it what it is today. These guys all fought in NHB and modern MMA and spread GJJ. I don't think we would have MMA if not for these guys. Rorion (aka whorian) is the one that is a sell out and now runs the Gracie Academy. Ralek, Rener and Ryron are his sons. Interestingly, he is the only one that never fought in modern MMA. Rickson, Renzo, Royler, and Royce are the guys that fought NHB and grew the brand. Rorion just sells it.

The gracie academy "technical" blue belt is a piece of trash you can get by going through the online combatives course.

Do you really have that much to learn? Will you have to prove yourself competing?
    Eh, I don't really have anything to learn as far as learning moves. It is more about tightening things up and putting in time. I was familiar with pretty much everything as a blue belt. But knowing a move and being able to perform it perfectly is a different thing. Rank is a combination of skill, technical knowledge, and time served. For me personally, I think it is about getting my body to do the things I know how to do and closing up the gaps in my game.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Wait for it.......
    OMG that was amazing.

I really wish the stakes in MMA were like were in boxing in the 70's and 80's. MMA today isn't shit compared to boxing in the 80's. Which is amazing when you consider how much easier it is now to publicize.

Wait for it.......

Larry about that life!
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

OMG that was amazing.

I really wish the stakes in MMA were like were in boxing in the 70's and 80's. MMA today isn't shit compared to boxing in the 80's. Which is amazing when you consider how much easier it is now to publicize.
    Boxing in the 80's was the most memorable time of my childhood I swear.

To this day, the beginning of a Tyson fight is the only event I could ever watch that would give me butterflies with excitement. I miss those days.

Boxing in the 80's was the most memorable time of my childhood I swear.

To this day, the beginning of a Tyson fight is the only event I could ever watch that would give me butterflies with excitement. I miss those days.
    Yep. I remember being in 4th and 5th grade talking about Tyson vs. Spinx on the playground and everyone knew who they were. And when I was in 7th grade I watched Tyson vs. Douglas and my mind was blown that Tyson could lose. MMA is not like that. 4th graders don't know who Jon Jones is fighting next.

I watched Tyson vs. Douglas and my mind was blown that Tyson could lose. MMA is not like that.
    That is one of those "I remember where I was when...." moments for real.

That is one of those "I remember where I was when...." moments for real.
    Pretty much. From my childhood there was the Challenger blowing up in 3rd grade, my grandpa dying, and Mike Tyson losing. That's pretty much all that happened.

SPX would be mad that we are talking about boxing in the MMA seciton
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

But I've been watching boxing since around the Tyson-Douglas time. No idea why I got into boxing at such a young age but I loved it
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

But I've been watching boxing since around the Tyson-Douglas time. No idea why I got into boxing at such a young age but I loved it
    I watched major HW fights only- Tyson, Holyfield, Riddick Bowe, Lennox Lewis. After Lewis/Tyson, I lost interest. I think that was the last boxing event I watched. I watched MMA in the 90's a bit, then went back to boxing a but. Then went back to MMA in about 2005. Now I just watch NCAA wrestling and a few BJJ comps. The UFC is trying to rid MMA of grappling entirely and I can see better striking by watching boxing... so I have no use for MMA anymore. If only there were some HW's out there. I don't care about Mayweather, he's too tiny to care about.

My dad was a big time boxing fan, so I can remember it being on the TV when I was just a little kid. There is nothing better then the big fight atmosphere from back then.

BTW, I heard Jim Gunn had a live bet on Douglas via KO over Tyson +850000 in that one.

My dad was a big time boxing fan, so I can remember it being on the TV when I was just a little kid. There is nothing better then the big fight atmosphere from back then.
    My dad doesn't watch sports......and then there's me who is an MMA, boxing, football, basketball nut. Guess I was adopted

BTW, I heard Jim Gunn had a live bet on Douglas via KO over Tyson +850000 in that one.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

No 173 thread?
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit