Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Off Topic Thread

I'm not pretending we are geniuses for picking Seattle. I actually picked SF over Seattle in the NFC Championship. I'm just saying this inst luck. The biggest bettors in the world make their money on the NFL, so it can be beat
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I'm not pretending we are geniuses for picking Seattle. I actually picked SF over Seattle in the NFC Championship. I'm just saying this inst luck. The biggest bettors in the world make their money on the NFL, so it can be beat
    I kind of agree with you. I used to place bet on hockey as here in Canada, hockey is #1 sport. The thign with hockey if that the #1 team in the league could play a game agains'nt the worst team in the league, and the best team will lose 5-0. It happens regularly pretty much every night. There is no sure thing in hockey. As in Football, usually, if Denver are playing jacksonville, there is no way that Jacksonville will win 40-0. usually (not always), the best team wins.
    Same thing could be said in soccer ..... A soccer game can oftenly end 1-0 ... so let's say a really bad team are just lucky to score one goal from far away agains't the best team in the league, the game could easily end this way.
    IMO footbal is probably the easiest team sport to bet and make money on

From my observations over the past couple of years on NFL/NBA/MLB, when there is a big game on or a game on Network TV (MNF, SNF, playoff games, Thursday night NBA on TNT, etc), the public is usually on the losing side of the ATS (against the spread) bet.

Also Luke, you say you pay zero attention to who the public is on, but in a sense you probably did it unintentionally during the NFL season. Remember the NFL thread you posted with the "trap lines"? All of these trap lines that seemed "too easy" was heavily backed by the public. I don't remember if you actually bet the opposite side of the trap lines, but I do remember you keeping a tallying record and it was at a winning percentage. That was basically "fading the public" in a sense. I heavily believe in trap lines for what it is worth as well. In fact, in these "trap line" games that the public won...they were on the verge of losing until some crazy flukey place or a meltdown in the last 5 minutes of the game (no luca fury here).

Anyways, Luke and I are moving on to NASCAR. See you guys from the top of our mansion.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    I don't think betting the super bowl is a long term winning strategy. I know you guys won, so congrats, but if you told me you were going to bet the super bowl again tomorrow I would still sit it out. It is the most scouted game of the year, I really don't think I know more than everyone else about football. I think the NFL is probably the toughest sport to win consistently.
    The NFL is an extremely difficult sport to win at consistently, because there are solid statistical models out there and most of the time, the line movement is driven by people who use said models, i.e. smart money.

However -- that applies only to the regular season. The Super Bowl is very very different. The Super Bowl is such a huge betting event, even for people who don't generally bet on sports, that dumb money overwhelms the smart money on a regular basis. For that reason, it is home to some of the worst lines you will ever see in sports. One example sticks out in my mind: the Super Bowl in the late 90's that was Denver vs. Green Bay. Denver was a statistically superior team but was something like a 12 point underdog, probably because the public was going off the fact that Denver had been a wild card team and the NFC had at that point won the Super Bowl about 231 times in a row. There was also a pretty bad line the last time Manning was in the SB, where the Saints, who really should have been favored, but weren't, did indeed win. I think then, as this year, the public was going off the common misconception that a team is its quarterback.

Basically, if Seattle / Denver had been a regular season game, I'm pretty sure Seattle would have been (slightly) favored. This is why I don't bet the NFL generally, but do often bet the Super Bowl (and often the playoffs, where what I said above applies, but to a lesser degree).

I'll also point that in terms of predicting future performance, the game was not nearly as lopsided as it looked. Turnovers are mostly luck, as are kick returns and flukes like that safety. Future performance is better estimated by ability to move the ball down the field, and Denver actually showed that they could. The yardage difference was only something like 340 yards for the Seahawks to 300 for the Broncos.

Quote Originally Posted by poopoo333 View Post

Also Luke, you say you pay zero attention to who the public is on, but in a sense you probably did it unintentionally during the NFL season. Remember the NFL thread you posted with the "trap lines"? All of these trap lines that seemed "too easy" was heavily backed by the public. I don't remember if you actually bet the opposite side of the trap lines, but I do remember you keeping a tallying record and it was at a winning percentage. That was basically "fading the public" in a sense. I heavily believe in trap lines for what it is worth as well. In fact, in these "trap line" games that the public won...they were on the verge of losing until some crazy flukey place or a meltdown in the last 5 minutes of the game (no luca fury here).

I bet some of the games in that thread, but not all. I was going by lopsided money, not public percentages. I remember one game I posted that you and chico said was almost a 50/50 split but the money was very lopsided towards one team.They are both still against the public, just a different ways. I was tracking it mostly to see how it did.

When I said I don't pay attention to who the public is on I meant it doesn't factor into my betting. I remember one Sunday night game this year Chicago was playing at Pitt with the Bears being a -2.5 away favorite . People were pounding the Bears and yet the line never moved, so a lot of people though Pitt was the play. I bet Chicago anyway and I believe they won easily. If I like a game, I'm going to bet it whether the public is on it or not.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Svino View Post
    The NFL is an extremely difficult sport to win at consistently, because there are solid statistical models out there and most of the time, the line movement is driven by people who use said models, i.e. smart money.

However -- that applies only to the regular season. The Super Bowl is very very different. The Super Bowl is such a huge betting event, even for people who don't generally bet on sports, that dumb money overwhelms the smart money on a regular basis. For that reason, it is home to some of the worst lines you will ever see in sports. One example sticks out in my mind: the Super Bowl in the late 90's that was Denver vs. Green Bay. Denver was a statistically superior team but was something like a 12 point underdog, probably because the public was going off the fact that Denver had been a wild card team and the NFC had at that point won the Super Bowl about 231 times in a row. There was also a pretty bad line the last time Manning was in the SB, where the Saints, who really should have been favored, but weren't, did indeed win. I think then, as this year, the public was going off the common misconception that a team is its quarterback.

Basically, if Seattle / Denver had been a regular season game, I'm pretty sure Seattle would have been (slightly) favored. This is why I don't bet the NFL generally, but do often bet the Super Bowl (and often the playoffs, where what I said above applies, but to a lesser degree).

I'll also point that in terms of predicting future performance, the game was not nearly as lopsided as it looked. Turnovers are mostly luck, as are kick returns and flukes like that safety. Future performance is better estimated by ability to move the ball down the field, and Denver actually showed that they could. The yardage difference was only something like 340 yards for the Seahawks to 300 for the Broncos.
    Seattle actually opened as a 1 or 2 point favorite
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Anyways, Luke and I are moving on to NASCAR. See you guys from the top of our mansion.

Bol, Nascar.

Fuck it .Lets do it

Edmann
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Degenerates. Every last one of you.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Rousey/Gustafsson/Jones is -125. I do not see how this does not win. Thoughts?

2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I would eat her butthole.

Thiago Silva has gone nuts . Apparently, hes at home right now with an AK-47 surrounded by SWAT

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/A...244110121.html
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I wonder if he is going to make weight or pass his drug test at UFC 171.

Thiago Silva has gone nuts . Apparently, hes at home right now with an AK-47 surrounded by SWAT

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/A...244110121.html
    Sometimes these things happen in MMA.

A little more info here. Supposedly the police took him into custody. http://www.bjpenn.com/thiago-silva-t...f-inside-home/

Rumors are that Thiago Silva's wife was fucking someone from their gym LOL

I can't believe this guy turned out to be unstable:

Rousey/Gustafsson/Jones is -125. I do not see how this does not win. Thoughts?
    I like this homie, Ill be on this.

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter