Thread: 2015 Off Topic Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Conclusion

I think a strong case can be made for the demon theory. There is definitely some good evidence to suggest that M. Night had a few tricks up his sleeve with this script and there's a hidden narrative within the main story. The detracting evidence, however, is strong I think. While less voluminous than the supporting evidence, it nonetheless punches some pretty big logical holes into the demonic interpretation. (Although one could argue that demons are masters of deception.)

One thing that is definitely true is that the demon theory allows you to resolve certain narrative problems like, "Why would the demons come down without protective suits on?" and "Really? WATER?!"

Personally, I think that one's own openness to the theory will depend on how much weight you place on certain factors. If you just can't get over the detracting evidence, then that's understandable. On the other hand, if you find the supporting evidence to be strong enough that you clearly feel like Shyamalan is trying to say SOMETHING that's not obvious on the surface, then I can definitely understand that as well.

For me, I think the movie works (albeit imperfectly) as a film about an alien invasion. I also think it works (albeit imperfectly) as a movie about demonic forces at work. And I know that I'll never be able to watch it again without interpreting it on both levels, regardless of what the director intended. Though I will say this: If the theory is correct, and M. Night intentionally encoded this hidden story-within-a-story in the movie, knowing that only a few would ever see this hidden meaning, then he is a GENIUS and Signs stands as an even better movie that I previously gave it credit for.
    I heart cock

A lot of good movies coming out this week: Pawn Sacrifice , Black Mass, Everest, and Sicario. Will definitely hit up the theater this weekend. Probably gonna watch Everest or Black Mass
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    A lot of good movies coming out this week: Pawn Sacrifice , Black Mass, Everest, and Sicario. Will definitely hit up the theater this weekend. Probably gonna watch Everest or Black Mass
    I want to see all of those but Everest is first on the list. Then probably Black Mass.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    I want to see all of those but Everest is first on the list. Then probably Black Mass.
    We should both go see Everest this weekend and report back
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

We should both go see Everest this weekend and report back
    I'm down.
    I heart cock

Conclusion

I think a strong case can be made for the demon theory. There is definitely some good evidence to suggest that M. Night had a few tricks up his sleeve with this script and there's a hidden narrative within the main story. The detracting evidence, however, is strong I think. While less voluminous than the supporting evidence, it nonetheless punches some pretty big logical holes into the demonic interpretation. (Although one could argue that demons are masters of deception.)

One thing that is definitely true is that the demon theory allows you to resolve certain narrative problems like, "Why would the demons come down without protective suits on?" and "Really? WATER?!"

Personally, I think that one's own openness to the theory will depend on how much weight you place on certain factors. If you just can't get over the detracting evidence, then that's understandable. On the other hand, if you find the supporting evidence to be strong enough that you clearly feel like Shyamalan is trying to say SOMETHING that's not obvious on the surface, then I can definitely understand that as well.

For me, I think the movie works (albeit imperfectly) as a film about an alien invasion. I also think it works (albeit imperfectly) as a movie about demonic forces at work. And I know that I'll never be able to watch it again without interpreting it on both levels, regardless of what the director intended. Though I will say this: If the theory is correct, and M. Night intentionally encoded this hidden story-within-a-story in the movie, knowing that only a few would ever see this hidden meaning, then he is a GENIUS and Signs stands as an even better movie that I previously gave it credit for.
    Jesus H, did you write all those posts or get them from somewhere else? If you wrote them, you should be writing on your own movie website. Well done(if thats the case).

Anyway, I think you can make an arguement for demons or aliens, its according to your mindeset and what "you" see in the movie. I have to admit, I havent seen the movie in 10 years either. I think the biggest arguemebt for demons is the Bo and the water. Its almost like shes the holy one who was put there to protect everyone.

The fact they call them aliens, they come from the sky, and they are doing things to protect themselves from aliens gives the arguement they are acutally aliens and they are just putting faith in god to protect them

I would have to watch the movie again to give a better opinion, but don't think there "needs" to be a definte answer to what they are. The fact people talk about it still is good enough for the film makers, imo

good post

edmann
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Jesus H, did you write all those posts or get them from somewhere else? If you wrote them, you should be writing on your own movie website. Well done(if thats the case).
    I did write it, and thanks. I re-watched the movie on Sunday night and took most of yesterday putting the post together. I HAVE actually thought about trying to do a movie site or blog, and have also wanted to maybe get something going on YouTube. Need a camera for the latter though and I don't have one.

Anyway, I think you can make an arguement for demons or aliens, its according to your mindeset and what "you" see in the movie. I have to admit, I havent seen the movie in 10 years either. I think the biggest arguemebt for demons is the Bo and the water. Its almost like shes the holy one who was put there to protect everyone.

The fact they call them aliens, they come from the sky, and they are doing things to protect themselves from aliens gives the arguement they are acutally aliens and they are just putting faith in god to protect them

I would have to watch the movie again to give a better opinion, but don't think there "needs" to be a definte answer to what they are. The fact people talk about it still is good enough for the film makers, imo

good post

I mostly agree, though demons are fallen angels, and angels are also thought of as coming from the sky. But in any case, you should re-watch the movie with this theory in mind. It's a pretty interesting experience.

Personally, Signs is my #2 in the M. Night canon. The Village is my favorite (which seems to be a controversial opinion).
    I heart cock

Conclusion

Really good shit man
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter