Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Off Topic Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Svino View Post
    'Sup, fags?

Oh, and re: Game of Thrones

Don't worry about Jon Snow; he's fine. When I read that part of the books, I wasn't even a little bit worried that he wouldn't be coming back.
    Who let this IRA motherfucker in my bar?!?!
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    You still watching MMA, betting?

Zak decided to get everyone back together again last week and honeslty its quite nice again. Fight week was so much nicer with the forum back
    That was you broski. slowclap.gif
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    Who here has seen Casablanca?

I'm going through a course on screenplay formatting and Casablanca is the movie/script they use as a reference. So over the last three days I've both watched the movie and read the script.

Believe it or not, despite being a heralded classic, it was the first time I had seen it but I really enjoyed it. The script is actually pretty sophisticated--lots of characters and stories interwoven into a single tale, with everything movie at a brisk pace. And of course, Ingrid Bergman is just gorgeous.

I have not. I plan on watching that and Barry Lydon this week though.
    "Do I hate my opponents? How could I hate someone who has the same dreams as me?"

Quote Originally Posted by Éire View Post
    I have not. I plan on watching that and Barry Lydon this week though.
    I still need to see Barry Lyndon. Kubrick is the man. I just watched 2001 for the first time a few years ago and it blew me away. I also rewatched The Shining a little while back and then watched the "Shining theory" documentary Room 237. That's an interesting experience.
    I heart cock

I still need to see Barry Lyndon. Kubrick is the man. I just watched 2001 for the first time a few years ago and it blew me away. I also rewatched The Shining a little while back and then watched the "Shining theory" documentary Room 237. That's an interesting experience.
    Don't you know you've always been here?
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

Poor Jared from Subway. He started, and ended his career trying to get into smaller pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    Don't you know you've always been here?
    Ha. Did you ever see Room 237?
    I heart cock

Poor Jared from Subway. He started, and ended his career trying to get into smaller pants.
    BOL!
    I heart cock

Ha. Did you ever see Room 237?
    No, but I've seen the shining like 120 times. I didn't know they ever made a documentary concerning it.

I'm sure he'll be getting plenty of 6 inch subs in prison

What a freak!
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Still can't believe it took you so long to see 2001.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

No, but I've seen the shining like 120 times. I didn't know they ever made a documentary concerning it.
    The whole documentary is about theories surrounding the movie. Specifically they bring in four people (I think it's four) and all they do is talk over clips of the movie about what they feel this means and that means etc. That probably sounds boring but it's really not.

Some of the theories sound like crackpot shit but others will actually make you think. The moon landing guy is fascinating.
    I heart cock

Still can't believe it took you so long to see 2001.
    Honestly, if I had tried to watch it when I was very much younger I probably would not have been able to appreciate it.
    I heart cock

Honestly, if I had tried to watch it when I was very much younger I probably would not have been able to appreciate it.
    It took you 3 years after I told you to watch it..........and you were 30 years old! One more excuse and you know what happens........
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

It took you 3 years after I told you to watch it..........and you were 30 years old! One more excuse and you know what happens........
    You're going to masturbate to one of those nudes you have?
    I heart cock

The whole documentary is about theories surrounding the movie. Specifically they bring in four people (I think it's four) and all they do is talk over clips of the movie about what they feel this means and that means etc. That probably sounds boring but it's really not.

Some of the theories sound like crackpot shit but others will actually make you think. The moon landing guy is fascinating.
    I'll have to check it out. I'm usually not one for "fan theories", though. I usually just chalk the obscure shit up to artistic license. Half the time the director doesn't even know why he does certain things, it just "feels" right to them.

I'll have to check it out. I'm usually not one for "fan theories", though. I usually just chalk the obscure shit up to artistic license. Half the time the director doesn't even know why he does certain things, it just "feels" right to them.
    Well with Room 237, I don't think the director even wants you to take most of the theories seriously, he just wants you to be dumbfounded by the fact that there are even people out there who think like that. But like I said, some of them ARE pretty interesting and thought-provoking.

I actually have been meaning to go back and watch The Shining and Room 237 back to back.

Also, that's an interesting note about directors and what "feels" right to them. I'm reading a book right now called "Looking at Movies," which is about formal criticism of film. The authors always stress how the directors are constantly making decisions about elements in their films that are supposed to mean something -- the angle of a shot, the proliferation of a color, the speed of the editing, etc. It has really made me wonder how much of what we see on the screen really is THAT deliberate and how much is not.
    Last edited by SPX; 08-25-2015 at 03:44 PM.
    I heart cock

Well with Room 237, I don't think the director even wants you to take most of the theories seriously, he just wants you to be dumbfounded by the fact that there are even people out there who think like that. But like I said, some of them ARE pretty interesting and thought-provoking.

I actually have been meaning to go back and watch The Shining and Room 237 back to back.

Also, that's an interesting note about directors and what "feels" right to them. I'm reading a book right now called "Looking at Movies," which is about formal criticism of film. The authors always stress how the directors are constantly making decisions about elements in the film that are supposed to mean something -- the angle of a shot, the proliferation of a color, the speed of the editing, etc. It has really made me wonder how much of what we see on the screen really is THAT deliberate and how much is not.
    I've seen enough "behind the scenes" interviews where directors have just been like "oh, that? That means nothing, I just thought it looked cool." I'm sure plenty of things are very deliberate, but take things like the elevator filled with blood in the Shining, for instance. I don't personally feel that it "means" much of anything, so much as it seemed like a great shot for the overall feel of the movie and the progression of Jack's psychosis. Or a lot of the imagery in Tim Burton's films. Much of that is just superfluous, even for ambiance and the atmosphere of things, but that's his thing, and it works for him.

I feel like a lot of directors get caught up in these kinds of theories because so many well known directors love to draw on motif, and inject themes all throughout a film, as if to somehow keep it grounded, or on track. Kind of like authors, to be honest. They can't always tell you what a particular passage or line means. It just felt right, so they kept it in there, and trying to endlessly interpret every bit and piece is a sort of fruitless exercise in redundancy. Some people just need to take things for what they are in the most literal sense, but many times you get these psuedo-intellectuals who have to find the deeper meaning in everything. Sometimes a hole in the ground is just a hole in the ground, you know?.
    Last edited by Ludo; 08-25-2015 at 03:57 PM.

Good thoughts, Ludo. I'm sure you're right that many things are just done instinctively, because they feel right, rather than because the director is trying to convey any specific meaning. I do think that there's a real danger of reading too far into a movie and going beyond anything that the director intended, and I think most of the participants in Room 237 do exactly that.

If you get a chance to give it a look, check it out and report back.
    I heart cock

You're going to masturbate to one of those nudes you have?
    BOL! Legit made me laugh
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP