Thread: 2015 Off Topic Thread

Where can I watch that doc? Find me a link, place and I'll watch it tonight
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Not sure if these are the real thing but I found:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlE6wZ1ZkFw

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlLmW2d3R60
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

It's on Netflix. You could also sail the high seas, I'm sure.
    I heart cock

^^^Thanks, but I think I found it:

2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Concerning the lunar landing theory from Room 237:

Dude. That lunar landing theory is complete hogshit BOL. I'm sorry but this motherfucker just loves to hear himself talk. Not one thing about his theory even begins to make sense.

"I know plenty of top screen projectionists from the 60s and 70s" without naming names.
    ROOM No. must mean MOON ROOM
    The contracts tirade
    The boy wearing an apollo 11 shirt is
    The distance from the earth to the moon(which by the way is wrong, and was wrong when he said it as well)

Basically he summed it up himself toward the end of his segment. He saw what he wanted to see in the whole thing. Easily one of the dumbest things I've ever heard in connection with a hit movie.

^^^Thanks, but I think I found it:

Watch it and report back.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    Concerning the lunar landing theory from Room 237:

Dude. That lunar landing theory is complete hogshit BOL. I'm sorry but this motherfucker just loves to hear himself talk. Not one thing about his theory even begins to make sense.

"I know plenty of top screen projectionists from the 60s and 70s" without naming names.
    ROOM No. must mean MOON ROOM
    The contracts tirade
    The boy wearing an apollo 11 shirt is
    The distance from the earth to the moon(which by the way is wrong, and was wrong when he said it as well)

Basically he summed it up himself toward the end of his segment. He saw what he wanted to see in the whole thing. Easily one of the dumbest things I've ever heard in connection with a hit movie.

I'll say this shit, I was not convinced by his argument, but I still found it fascinating. Inf act, his segment was the most interesting of the whole film for me and I did think there were a few things that made me stroke my chin and go "hmm." I wish I could get into specifics but it's been too long since I saw the doc.
    I heart cock

The Last Dragon 30th Anniversary Blu-Ray was released today.

That's right, no bullshit. The Last Dragon. 30th Anniversary Blu-Ray.

Who's the master?

The Last Dragon is ready to Glow again, brighter than ever, as the 30th Anniversary Blu-ray hits store shelves this Tuesday. To celebrate such a momentous occasion, we have an advanced sneak peek at one of the special features. In this clip, we get to hear screenwriter Louis Venosta and director Michael Schultz talk about the film's origins. And we even learn how Bruce Leroy got his iconic name!

It was the 10th anniversary of Bruce Lee's death and Warner Bros. had re-released Enter the Dragon back into theaters. Screenwriter Louis Venosta had gone to see the movie, and describes the experience as looking exactly like the opening moments of The Last Dragon. There were all these kids of every color and nationality. They were all dressed up in costume and jumping around. The writer took one look at the madness and knew there was a story there. The director, Michael Schultz, agreed with this idea. He wanted to see something that had never been brought to the big screen. Young, beautiful black people set against a heroic element and a lot of humor. Both instantly felt this was a movie that needed to get made. One where the black guy was actually the hero.

The cult classic The Last Dragon is celebrating it's 30th Anniversary with a fully remastered Blu-ray arriving this summer. To usher in this exciting release, we also premiered an exclusive first look at the trailer for Berry Gordy's greatest cinematic achievement. The set comes with all-new bonus materials. And there is a newly-created retrospective looking back at the making of the movie. We also have a sneak peek at the new cover art from acclaimed Mondo gallery artist Gary Pullin.

Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon returns for it's 30th Anniversary, debuting for the first time ever on Blu-ray August 25 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The cult classic has been fully remastered in high definition for Blu-ray and features exciting all-new dynamic packaging art, as well as the featurette "Return of the Dragon," a newly-created retrospective look at the making of the film, featuring new interviews with the cast and crew, including Taimak, Berry Gordy and more! Additional bonus features include commentary by director Michael Schultz and the original theatrical trailer.
    http://movieweb.com/last-dragon-30th...u-ray-preview/

Last edited by SPX; 08-25-2015 at 08:39 PM.
    I heart cock

I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    Watch it and report back.
    Just watched it and my opinion is it was horrible. Like 2/10 bad.

The theories were so big of stretches that they weren't even slightly realistic,imo. Most of the things they saw were common "goofs" that happen when a movie is being made. Dopey misssing and the chair disapearing in between shots meant something, but the shawdow of a hellicopter(which obvisiosly wasn't meant to be in the film) didn't.

The numbers were worse. 3 x 7 x 2= 42....sheesh.

The typewriter was German so its obviously represented the Holocast....wow.

That was bad. The Signs write up you posted at least made a little sense and stayed on one subject throughout; this movie was all over the freaking place. Bad. Just bad

2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

The theories were so big of stretches that they weren't even slightly realistic,imo. Most of the things they saw were common "goofs" that happen when a movie is being made. Dopey misssing and the chair disapearing in between shots meant something, but the shawdow of a hellicopter(which obvisiosly wasn't meant to be in the film) didn't.

That was bad. The Signs write up you posted at least made a little sense and stayed on one subject throughout; this movie was all over the freaking place. Bad. Just bad
    If the rest of it was anything like that Apollo 11 shit, then I believe you're right on the money.

Should be the 11th commandment.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Camera man and reporter get shot live on the air. Both confirmed dead. This is FUCKED UP.

I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    If the rest of it was anything like that Apollo 11 shit, then I believe you're right on the money.

Hmm. These are some interesting reactions. Y'all may be surprised to learn that the film has gotten many more positive reactions than negative ones, with a 93% on RT and an 80 on Metacritic.

RT: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/room_237_2012/
    Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/movie/room-237

I think it's important to understand what this film is and what it's trying to be. Both of you seem to be caught up on the plausibility of the theories, but the film isn't about that at all. It's an exploration of the strong reactions that people have had to The Shining and the sorts of interpretations--no matter how outlandish--that people have developed about the movie.

The director, Rodney Ascher, has himself said that he doesn't really buy into most of the theories that are presented. In his own words:

My personal take on it is, for one, I don’t think its nearly as visionary as any one of these folks have found. I just see it as sort of a story about juggling the responsibilities of your career and family and as cautionary tale of what may happen if you make the wrong choice. And even maybe looking at the ghosts as these figures that represent fortune or prestige or things that you might be chasing at the expense of paying proper attention to your family.
    and

For me, it was, how passionate are they for this idea? How articulate are they and are they able to make me see this film through their eyes? Initially, I didn’t know if this would be a full-length film, or 40 minutes, or where it was going to go. Where it seemed to be a more satisfying kind of experience was, they started to get more personal and talk about The Shining was kind of affecting their lives.
    So the film is not about persuading you to believe in anything that's presented. It's about the personalities and psychological inner workings of certain segments of the Kubrick fandom.

As for me personally, I think that some of the theories are more plausible than others. Some I think are obviously wrong, like the dick tray and the Minotaur. Some I think are possibly correct, like the Native American theory, the interpretation about Danny being sexually abused, and the bit about the overturned red VW Bug. And then we have Apollo 11, which I don't believe is the right interpretation, but which I found to be the most fascinating theory in the whole film.

Perhaps a friend of mine summed it up best in an e-mail exchange we had after we had both watched it:

This film is interesting in multiple ways. However, it may be true that you sort of need to be a fan of the film and/or an observer of how serious the Kubrick groupies are, to fully appreciate the film.

Since the film affected me greatly, and impressed me, this documentary was right down my alley.

This film does a good job of highlighting what are the more legitimate theories of possible Kubrick Easter eggs within the film, he also gives the nutjobs enough rope to hang themselves. In other words, the filmmaker realizes that much of this is hogwash, but found it entertaining. (My opinion, obviously.)

I should also note that prior to watching this film, I've watched several hours of YouTube stuff about The Shining, several months ago.

The casual viewer clicking around on Netflix probably wouldn't get the appeal.

Regarding Kubrick, we must admit that he is truly an artist, if his work inspires this kind of attention.
    I heart cock

^^^^It was just bad. Just seemed like a big waste of time to me. Trying to get me to see something that wasn't there.

Pretty much my thoughts:

"
    In a March 27, 2013 article in The New York Times, Leon Vitali, who served as personal assistant to Kubrick on the film, stated "There are ideas espoused in the movie that I know to be total balderdash"; for example, the documentary's theory concerning a poster of a minotaur is in fact referencing a poster of a skier and the film's usage of a German typewriter, interpreted to be symbolic of the Holocaust, was chosen by Kubrick for pragmatic reasons. He concluded that "[Kubrick] didn’t tell an audience what to think or how to think and if everyone came out thinking something differently that was fine with him. That said, I’m certain that he wouldn’t have wanted to listen to about 70, or maybe 80 percent [of Room 237]... Because it’s pure gibberish."[18]
    In an October 2014 interview with Rolling Stone, Stephen King said that he had seen the film and that he "watched about half of it and got impatient with and turned it off" as he felt the filmmakers were "reaching for things that weren't there".[19]"
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Camera man and reporter get shot live on the air. Both confirmed dead. This is FUCKED UP.

Just another instance to show how fucked up this country has beome.

And the anchor......wtf? At what point do you pretend you care about a fellow employee getting murdered on TV instead of just going on with the news?
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

^^^^It was just bad. Just seemed like a big waste of time to me. Trying to get me to see something that wasn't there.

Pretty much my thoughts:

"
    In a March 27, 2013 article in The New York Times, Leon Vitali, who served as personal assistant to Kubrick on the film, stated "There are ideas espoused in the movie that I know to be total balderdash"; for example, the documentary's theory concerning a poster of a minotaur is in fact referencing a poster of a skier and the film's usage of a German typewriter, interpreted to be symbolic of the Holocaust, was chosen by Kubrick for pragmatic reasons. He concluded that "[Kubrick] didn’t tell an audience what to think or how to think and if everyone came out thinking something differently that was fine with him. That said, I’m certain that he wouldn’t have wanted to listen to about 70, or maybe 80 percent [of Room 237]... Because it’s pure gibberish."[18]
    In an October 2014 interview with Rolling Stone, Stephen King said that he had seen the film and that he "watched about half of it and got impatient with and turned it off" as he felt the filmmakers were "reaching for things that weren't there".[19]"
    Well again, as I mentioned, it's not about the theories, it's about the theorists. Since we're quoting Wiki:

Owen Gleiberman of Entertainment Weekly gave the movie an "A", writing: "Room 237 makes perfect sense of The Shining because, even more than The Shining itself, it places you right inside the logic of how an insane person thinks."
    To me, it was fascinating.
    I heart cock

Just another instance to show how fucked up this country has beome.

And the anchor......wtf? At what point do you pretend you care about a fellow employee getting murdered on TV instead of just going on with the news?
    I dunno. The anchor was probably stunned. Also, someone grabbed this screencap:

I heart cock

I dunno. The anchor was probably stunned. Also, someone grabbed this screencap:

That screen cap was from the camerman's camera when it hit the ground. Former employee that went crazy.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Well again, as I mentioned, it's not about the theories, it's about the theorists. Since we're quoting Wiki:

To me, it was fascinating.

Think the guy that wrote the book and someone who actually worked on the movie trumps the opinion of an Entertainment Weekly reporter.

If any of it had made sense, it might have been good. Saying Brian O Connor and Dom were gay lovers would have been more believable that the stuff that movie made up
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP