Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Off Topic Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    Ah, so you've been watching Vikings. In my opinion that is one of the very best shows on TV. In fact, for me it's probably #2 right behind Game of Thrones.

Kingsley has has an interesting career. Despite his talent, he'll be in ANYTHING. You give him money, he'll be in your shit.

One minute he'll be turning in an Oscar-calibur performance in something like Ghandi and the next he'll be slumming it in a straight-to-DVD video game movie like Bloodrayne.
    Love Vikings. In the last ten or fifteen years TV has really stepped it's game up as far as quality is concerned, whereas film has slowly declined overall. It seems like film studios are becoming increasingly unoriginal and lazy, and TV has risen to be where it's at if you really want to showcase your talent.

And, yes, Kingsly is like the white Samuel L Jackson. He just loves to act and doesn't seem to give a shit about the whole formality of it all. He seems like the kind of guy who will act for the sake of acting, rather than the kind of person who wants to be the star, has to have their choice of character, has to change the script to their liking, etc etc etc. He's really easy to approve of in that regard.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Time isnt linear, we just perceive it that way
    Someone saw Hot Tub Time Machine 2. What a bowl of dicks that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    Someone saw Hot Tub Time Machine 2. What a bowl of dicks that was.

Haha. That was actually from the first Hot Tub Time Machine, but you are correct, the second one was f-ing awful
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Anyone have any underrated movies that most people have never seen/heard of? If I had to name 5 they would be:

1. Rumble Fish- One of my all time favorite movies. Just check out that cast.
    2. Clerks- Not nearly as obscure as Rumble Fish, but if you aren't from in or around the Tri-State area, you may not have seen it.
    3. Oldboy- Not the shitty 2013 Spike Lee rip off version, the 2003 cult classic. This movie will fuck you up a little bit, and change the way you see the world.
    4. Wet Hot American Summer- Netflix just did a series based off the movie, and if you're a fan of slapstick comedy you'll love it.
    5. Empire Records- One of those movies I saw when I was young, and never stopped liking each time I could find it(rarely, I might add) on tv.

Discuss.

Anyone have any underrated movies that most people have never seen/heard of? If I had to name 5 they would be:

2. Clerks- Not nearly as obscure as Rumble Fish, but if you aren't from in or around the Tri-State area, you may not have seen it.
    3. Oldboy- Not the shitty 2013 Spike Lee rip off version, the 2003 cult classic. This movie will fuck you up a little bit, and change the way you see the world.
    4. Wet Hot American Summer- Netflix just did a series based off the movie, and if you're a fan of slapstick comedy you'll love it.
    5. Empire Records- One of those movies I saw when I was young, and never stopped liking each time I could find it(rarely, I might add) on tv.

Discuss.

Oldboy is incredible. I need to watch that one again since it's been a little while, but it's great. Not a fan of Clerks. Haven't seen Rumble Fish or Wet Hot American Summer. And if I'm going to watch a movie about the early 90s music scene, I'll take Singles over Empire Records (though Empire Records is all right).

As for my picks, I'm going with. . .

1. The Apostle

The best Robert Duvall film you've never heard of. Written by Robert Duvall. Directed by Robert Duvall. Financed by Robert Duvall.

Honestly, the trailer doesn't come close to doing it justice. It's a great film about a flawed-but-sincere Southern preacher who is on the run from the law but still trying live out his life in a meaningful way. I especially appreciate how it approaches the subjects of religion and the South with respect, rather than caricaturing those subjects the way that so many other movies do. All I can say is watch it. If you have any kind of a heart, you will not be disappointed.

2. Way of the Gun

I've loved this movie since I first saw it a decade-and-a-half ago. A truly underrated crime thriller with, in my opinion, a career-defining turn from Ryan Phillipe. With names like Phillipe, Benicio del Toro, James Caan, Nicky Kat, Taye Diggs and Juliette Lewis, you'd have expected Way of the Gun to have been a bigger hit--and more well known--than it is, but alas, I suppose it has to settle for minor cult status.

It also happens to have one of the best opening scenes in film history. . .

3. Sound of my Voice

Here's a recent entry and a great introduction to the relative newcomer Brit Marling. It's also a good example of how a very compelling movie can be made with limited resources. One of the best indie films of the past few years.

I heart cock

The only two movies that come to mind are : Into The Wild & 50K and a Call Girl. I'm sure some more will come to mind that I'll post later.

Ludo, I'll check out the Outboy and Ruble Fish. Tried watching Wet Hot American Summer but was so tired I fell alseep. Need to get back to it. Other two, I've seen...just okay, imo

Spx, not watching those
    Last edited by Luke; 08-20-2015 at 08:12 PM.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

50k and a Call Girl trailer:

Into the Wild trailer:

2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I tried watching Into the Wild just a couple of months ago. It was okay, but I didn't love it.

When it comes to that particular genre I preferred. . .

I heart cock

Discuss.
    1. The Dirties - Movie about a fictional school shooting. Two friends get bullied and plan to shoot up a school. One friend thinks it's just joke talk while the other is taking it seriously.

2. What We Do in the Shadows - A parody on vampires.

3. Fury - Not an unknown movie but one that I feel didn't get a lot of credit. Personally thought it was a phenomenal film.

4. The Babadook - Also not as unknown and this one did get a lot of credit but just putting here in case anyone hasn't seen it.

5. It Follows - See description for Babadook. Thought it was the best Horror film I watched in a loooooong time.
    Last edited by Éire; 08-20-2015 at 09:08 PM.
    "Do I hate my opponents? How could I hate someone who has the same dreams as me?"

Quote Originally Posted by Éire View Post
    1. The Dirties - Movie about a fictional school shooting. Two friends get bullied and plan to shoot up a school. One friend thinks it's just joke talk while the other is taking it seriously.
    2. What We Do in the Shadows - A parody about vampires.
    3. Fury - Not an unknown movie but one that I feel didn't get a lot of credit. Personally thought it was a phenomenal film.
    4. The Babadook - Also not as unknown and this one did get a lot of credit but just putting here in case anyone hasn't seen it.
    5. It Follows - See description for Babadook. Thought it was the best Horror film I watched in a loooooong time.
    I've heard good things about What We Do in the Shadows, but haven't seen it yet. Same for Fury and The Babadook. It follows was great and has a fucking KILLER soundtrack.

I haven't even heard of The Dirties but it kind of reminds me of Elephant. This trailer is weird, but the movie is worth a look.

I heart cock

I've heard good things about What We Do in the Shadows, but haven't seen it yet. Same for Fury and The Babadook. It follows was great and has a fucking KILLER soundtrack.

I haven't even heard of The Dirties but it kind of reminds me of Elephant. This trailer is weird, but the movie is worth a look.

It's been compared to Elephant, I believe. Watch it, man. It was great. At least imo.
    "Do I hate my opponents? How could I hate someone who has the same dreams as me?"

Quote Originally Posted by Éire View Post
    It's been compared to Elephant, I believe. Watch it, man. It was great. At least imo.
    I'll put it on the list, thanks!
    I heart cock

I've seen Wild. It was good but not better than Into the Wild. Fury was good, too. I like Brad Pitt

Almost started Babadook the other day. I'll watch it now . Haven't plenty of movies to check out now......and plenty of people to neg if they suck
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Speaking of negging, please refer to the new sticky thread
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I've seen Wild. It was good but not better than Into the Wild.
    I am actually reading the book the movie was based on.
    I heart cock

I've seen Wild. It was good but not better than Into the Wild. Fury was good, too. I like Brad Pitt

Almost started Babadook the other day. I'll watch it now . Haven't plenty of movies to check out now......and plenty of people to neg if they suck
    I want it on record that Babadook isn't everyone's cup of tea. The rest are pretty fantastic though.

I've heard that about The Babadook. Some love it, some think it's overrated.

I might actually watch it tonight. We'll see.
    I heart cock

I am actually reading the book the movie was based on.
    I read a lot about the guy after I first watched the movie. Didn't realize there was a book
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Movies I had on my Amazon Video list to watch:

Scent of a Woman
    The Crow
    12 Angry Men
    Dark Days
    Coherence

Thoughts on any of them? Never seen any of them, yet
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I read a lot about the guy after I first watched the movie. Didn't realize there was a book
    I meant I was reading the book Wild is based on, not Into the Wild. But Into the Wild is also based on true story, for which a book was written, which I have also read.

In case you're unaware, both movies are based on true stories and books.
    I heart cock