Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: If GSP or Cruz came back tomorrow, what are the odds they win a title fight?

If GSP or Cruz came back tomorrow, what are the odds they win a title fight?

Just making conversation here.

If GSP came back tomorrow, do you think he'd beat Lawler? And do you think he'd beat Hendricks in a rematch?

What about Cruz? How do you think he'd fare against Dillashaw?

Personally, I think GSP would probably beat Lawler. There's the layoff, of course, which is concerning, but I still think the wrestling would probably be too much for Robbie. As or Hendricks, I dunno, but I'd love to see GSP beat him and beat him convincingly to silence the doubters who think he lost the first fight.

With Cruz, I love Cruz so I'd love to see him beat TJ. But I dunno. TJ has looked great and Cruz has only fought once in four years.
    I heart cock

I think Lawler has a better chance to beat GSP than Hendricks...if he can stop the TDs. The best Hendricks couldn't beat a GSP who had his mind made up that he was leaving.

If the fight was annouced tomorrow for being in July, I'd take Lawler. GSP would have been off 30+ months by then

Cruz, don't think he can beat Dillashaw. Dillashaw is basically a younger, stronger version of Cruz. The inactivity is Cruz's biggest downfall
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Speaking of layoffs, my bold prediction is AA beats Mir and Fedor signs with the UFC to fight AA on the Jan 2nd card. Hows that for coming back from a layoff?
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I'm not too sure how GSP would do if he did come back, as a Robbie fan I'd hope he just stays in retirement, cause if his wrestling is still top notch, he'd probably win the decision.

Cruz isn't as hard of a pick, I think he would beat TJ.

Im not sure Cruz would win, but I think GSP could beat Lawler.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

I just can't believe that it's been FOUR YEARS since Cruz was last a truly active fighter. Jesus. I was still in my 20s the last time he fought before the ACL tear. That was a while back. ALMOST HALF A DECADE! But it doesn't feel that long.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by VinceArch View Post
    I'm not too sure how GSP would do if he did come back, as a Robbie fan I'd hope he just stays in retirement, cause if his wrestling is still top notch, he'd probably win the decision.
    I like Robbie and am glad to see him having the kind of success he's been having at this late stage of his career. Back when he was being decisioned by guys like Babalu and Larkin in Strikeforce it looked like things were coming to an end. But against all odds and expectations, he is now the UFC WW champ of the world.

However, I think it would awesome if GSP came back, beat Robbie for the belt, and then beat Hendricks again to silence all the doubters, and then just busted a mic drop and retired again. Undisputed GOAT.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Speaking of layoffs, my bold prediction is AA beats Mir and Fedor signs with the UFC to fight AA on the Jan 2nd card. Hows that for coming back from a layoff?
    That is certainly a bold prediction. I'd be down to see it and I'm sure AA wants that rematch.

I know Werdum also wants to fight Fedor again, which is kind of interesting and strange since Werdum beat him the first time.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    That is certainly a bold prediction. I'd be down to see it and I'm sure AA wants that rematch.

I know Werdum also wants to fight Fedor again, which is kind of interesting and strange since Werdum beat him the first time.
    A Fedor fight (Werdum) would mean big money. That's the reason for a rematch.

I'd love to see Fedor-AA again.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

All I know is if Fedor somehow came back and became champ I'd probably explode from the wave of awesomeness that washed over me.
    I heart cock

It's harder to gauge Dillashaw/Cruz. TJ's very skilled but lacking in elite competition so far in his career.

I'd take Lawler over GSP.

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalHit View Post
    It's harder to gauge Dillashaw/Cruz. TJ's very skilled but lacking in elite competition so far in his career.
    I think it would be a wonderful story for Cruz to come back after so much hardship and become champ again. I'm just not sure how realistic it is.

Then again, he did fucking DESTROY Mizugaki.
    I heart cock

I would pick Cruz over Dillashaw. Cruz is longer and has looked nearly unbeatable for many years when healthy. I'm not sure the Barao that Dillashaw faced either time was in a good spot, physically. He naturally became bigger in his mid-to-late-twenties and paid the price with his weight cuts when he refused to move up in weight class.

I'd take Robbie over GSP. Hendricks gave GSP all he could handle. Condit cracked him solid a few times too. Jake Shields even made it a close scrap. Robbie is a tougher matchup for GSP than any of those guys. He has much better takedown defense than Carlos, and GSP's striking defense without the legitimate threat of a takedown simply wouldn't survive Robbie's power. GSP would have to try to grind it out and make it a cardio affair, but Robbie has managed to finish strong even when tired.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    I would pick Cruz over Dillashaw. Cruz is longer and has looked nearly unbeatable for many years when healthy. I'm not sure the Barao that Dillashaw faced either time was in a good spot, physically. He naturally became bigger in his mid-to-late-twenties and paid the price with his weight cuts when he refused to move up in weight class.

I'd take Robbie over GSP. Hendricks gave GSP all he could handle. Condit cracked him solid a few times too. Jake Shields even made it a close scrap. Robbie is a tougher matchup for GSP than any of those guys. He has much better takedown defense than Carlos, and GSP's striking defense without the legitimate threat of a takedown simply wouldn't survive Robbie's power. GSP would have to try to grind it out and make it a cardio affair, but Robbie has managed to finish strong even when tired.

Hey man, welcome to the forum!

Like I said earlier, I'd love for Cruz to come back and be champ again. He would just have to overcome a few different obstacles: 1. He's older. 2. He's torn BOTH ACLs and had surgery. So how will that affect his movement? 3. Ring rust. But he looked great against Miz so there's certainly hope. And like you said, he pretty much looked unbeatable before the layoff.

As for Robbie, his takedown defense has certainly improved so I have to give him credit for that. But it's still hard to erase the memory of all those Strikeforce fights where he was taken down and easily controlled. I get it was a different weight class, he was in a different place in his career, etc. But still.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    As for Robbie, his takedown defense has certainly improved so I have to give him credit for that. But it's still hard to erase the memory of all those Strikeforce fights where he was taken down and easily controlled. I get it was a different weight class, he was in a different place in his career, etc. But still.
    Takedown defense be damned, I just can't get over the time he was solidly outmatched on the feet by an over-the-hill Renato Sobral.

Quote Originally Posted by Svino View Post
    Takedown defense be damned, I just can't get over the time he was solidly outmatched on the feet by an over-the-hill Renato Sobral.
    Oh yes. I actually lost money on that fight. Robbie was in full on bum mode that night. WTF?
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by Svino View Post
    There was a long stretch(apparently around 6-8 years or so) where Robbie didn't even spar during camp. His rationale was "I already know how to fight, what do I need to spar for?", which sort of helps explain why he looks like he still has so much left, despite having been in the game now for fifteen years.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    There was a long stretch(apparently around 6-8 years or so) where Robbie didn't even spar during camp. His rationale was "I already know how to fight, what do I need to spar for?", which sort of helps explain why he looks like he still has so much left, despite having been in the game now for fifteen years.
    I thought it was more like he found out he had some weird type of asthma that he got treatment for and was finally able to train better.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Those fighters were also at 185. He got grapple fucked a lot because he was smaller for the division. His grappling has been "better" at 170

The Larkin loss was probably the most shocking to me looking back on it
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by zY| View Post
    I thought it was more like he found out he had some weird type of asthma that he got treatment for and was finally able to train better.
    Im leaning more towards this.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter