View Poll Results: Today's MMA: Do you like the sport more now, or less?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Are you more a fan of the sport now? Weekly cards being done now.

2 40.00%
  • Do you prefer the sport as it was 5-6 years ago, 1, stacked card, every month or two?

2 40.00%
  • Love the sport just as much now, as You did then?

1 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's MMA: Do you like the sport more now, or less?

Today's MMA: Do you like the sport more now, or less?

What say you?
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Personally, I think there should be one stacked PPV per month, and then there should be one TV card which features rising stars and established mid-tier veterans.

I think that MMA was more fun back around '09 and '10 for a few reasons. There were fewer cards so the anticipation would build in a way that just doesn't happen anymore, and also due to the higher number of cards there end up being way too many fighters to keep up with. It seems like half the cards these days there are only like 5 names that I recognize. It also seems like there were fewer fights canceled due to injuries back in the day.

Also, it's probably worth noting that it's normal for interest in anything to settle down a bit over time. It's normal to be more enthusiastic when things are fresh and new. By now most of us have been watching MMA for 8+ years.
    I heart cock

Personally, I like it better now. More cards keep me interested in the sport. 5-6 years ago I only watched about half the cards . To me, it was like boxing....something you just watched when it was there was a big card on. Now, with all the cards, it's almost like a year round sport....like the NFL . Sure there are some shitty cards, but I like it the way it is now
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Having a card almost every week, and in some cases multiple cards in a single week has definitely kept me interested moreso now than ever before. I used to hate those 5-6 week droughts between cards.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    Personally, I think there should be one stacked PPV per month, and then there should be one TV card which features rising stars and established mid-tier veterans.
    I really like that. I think I would watch more if it was like that. I cant keep up with it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. IWS View Post
    I really like that. I think I would watch more if it was like that. I cant keep up with it anymore.
    Pussy

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    Pussy

Missing option: liked it best when they had single night tournaments, pencak silat guys fighting, and none of those lame-ass safety rules.

Honestly, I don't know which I prefer. I used to dislike the watered down cards but I think there's probably enough talent now that they're just about getting away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BetMMA View Post
    Honestly, I don't know which I prefer. I used to dislike the watered down cards but I think there's probably enough talent now that they're just about getting away with it.
    I think there's such a thing as burn-out though. When you're getting an average of one card every week, a UFC event coming up just doesn't feel special anymore. I don't want to have to wait TOO long between events, but I'd like for there to at least be enough time for the anticipation to build up. I also don't want there to be so many events that I just can't, or don't care to, keep up with everything.

Like I said earlier, I think one UFC PPV per month, one mid-week TV card, and then maybe a Bellator or WSOF event at some point as well is enough MMA for one month.
    I heart cock

I doubt I'll ever get as genuinely excited about MMA as I used to. In the era when GSP knocked out Matt Hughes I stayed up till 6am to watch that. I'll never do that again... maybe that's just an age thing but I don't think so. When there were less guys, I got more invested in them as people and was kinda edging more towards a supporting individual fighters than I am now.

Nowadays the excitement comes from picking fights correctly and I don't really care who wins in terms of the fighters themselves.... Although I do want fighters who suck at gameplanning to lose cos that just annoys me, when they don't fight "properly" :)

I think there's such a thing as burn-out though. When you're getting an average of one card every week, a UFC event coming up just doesn't feel special anymore. I don't want to have to wait TOO long between events, but I'd like for there to at least be enough time for the anticipation to build up. I also don't want there to be so many events that I just can't, or don't care to, keep up with everything.

Like I said earlier, I think one UFC PPV per month, one mid-week TV card, and then maybe a Bellator or WSOF event at some point as well is enough MMA for one month.
    And when we had 6 week droughts we used to bitch about it all the time on this very forum. Even a 2 week dry spell was enough to get us talking about how much it sucked having to wait until the next event. Now the next event is right around the corner. We just had an 7-8 week span where there were like 12 cards or some shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    And when we had 6 week droughts we used to bitch about it all the time on this very forum. Even a 2 week dry spell was enough to get us talking about how much it sucked having to wait until the next event. Now the next event is right around the corner. We just had an 7-8 week span where there were like 12 cards or some shit.

Six weeks sucks. That's the other end of the spectrum. Like I said:

1 PPV per month
    1 TV card per month
    1 Non-UFC card per month

That's three cards per month. I'm down.

BTW, on a related note, bring back the WEC!
    I heart cock

Six weeks sucks. That's the other end of the spectrum. Like I said:

1 PPV per month
    1 TV card per month
    1 Non-UFC card per month

That's three cards per month. I'm down.

BTW, on a related note, bring back the WEC!
    Fuck that shit! If we get 4-6 events per month that's awesome to me. For bettors it works out also, since if you take a hit you don't have to wait so long to recoup, or rather, for the chance to recoup.

When there were less cards, I forced bets because I knew I wouldn't get another chance for weeks. Now, you don't need to because another cards isnt that far away
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    When there were less cards, I forced bets because I knew I wouldn't get another chance for weeks. Now, you don't need to because another cards isnt that far away
    I guess the thing for me is that the cards now have so many fights between guys I've never even heard of that the number of bettable fights is the same . . . those fights have just been stretched out across multiple cards.

I guess I could maybe fix this by doing more research though.
    I heart cock

I guess the thing for me is that the cards now have so many fights between guys I've never even heard of that the number of bettable fights is the same . . . those fights have just been stretched out across multiple cards.

I guess I could maybe fix this by doing more research though.

I know who more fighters are now. Before, I'd watch a PPV card and maybe the the spike prelims if anyone I knew was on it. Now, they have many cards on FS1 and fox, so there's more guys to watch/learn about.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

You see, when the events were fewer I watched pretty much EVERYTHING. Unless they were debuting, I basically knew ALL the fighters. Now that's just too hard to do.
    I heart cock

You see, when the events were fewer I watched pretty much EVERYTHING. Unless they were debuting, I basically knew ALL the fighters. Now that's just too hard to do.
    I never watched everything. Like back when they had facebook prelims, no. I still don't watch everything( like fight pass prelims), but with so many of the fights on TV (versus having to watch a stream) I know a lot more fighters. There are still some fighters I know little about, but its way less than before.........and now the roster is much bigger.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I never watched everything. Like back when they had facebook prelims, no. I still don't watch everything( like fight pass prelims), but with so many of the fights on TV (versus having to watch a stream) I know a lot more fighters. There are still some fighters I know little about, but its way less than before.........and now the roster is much bigger.

There was a time when I pretty much refused to miss any MMA. I remember one specific day where I got home from work and my power supply on my computer was fucked up and a WEC event was coming on in just a few hours. I didn't have cable and needed to stream it so I jumped through a bunch of hoops to get to Staples where I bought a power supply for about 4x as much as I would have if I had ordered it online.

UFC, Bellator, Strikeforce (and before that EliteXC and Affliction) . . . fucking Shark Fights. I tried not to miss a single minute.
    I heart cock