Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sage Northcutt

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    And it wasn't GSP's karate base that led him to greatness.
    He credits his karate base for his success.
    1 unit = 300 $

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555 View Post
    He credits his karate base for his success.
    He may say that publicly, but his wrestling ability is what made him a champion.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. IWS View Post
    He may say that publicly, but his wrestling ability is what made him a champion.
    On the JRE he said it was his karate that allowed him to get in on opponents:

That's what I use for my takedown, the shoot, that people see, it's zero wrestling. It has nothing to do with my wrestling. My wrestling is once I get that leg, I'll finish the takedown. But how I get in and out is because of karate.

People are like, ‘no way, Karate, no.' And I'm like, 'yes.' Karate allows me to cut the distance and take the people down. I have a very good single, a very good double and very good penetration. It's because of my leg, the way I do it, and the timing is because of my karate. I wrestle, too, but my karate is primary. Before I started wrestling, I was a karate guy pure.
    I heart cock

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    Sure, but that's all part of speculating about prospects. Obviously no one knows what's going to happen. But you identify those young bucks who seem to have the raw tools to become something special. I think Sage is among the leaders of that pack.

In fact, you have talked a lot about championship hopes are misplaced with him. My question for you then is who do you have in front of him? What other prospects do you have your eye on?
    Dustin Poirier, Joseph Duffy, Beniel Dariush, Possibly Al Iaquinta.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

Dustin Poirier, Joseph Duffy, Beniel Dariush, Possibly Al Iaquinta.
    I don't really think of people with 7+ UFC fights as prospects. Especially Poirier, Jesus, he's been under the Zuffa banner for 5 years already!
    I heart cock

I don't really think of people with 7+ UFC fights as prospects. Especially Poirier, Jesus, he's been under the Zuffa banner for 5 years already!
    But only one as a lightweight.

But only one as a lightweight.
    I don't know that that's like pushing the reset button on his career though. In any case, I am more talking guys in the UFC who have like 3 or fewer fights . . . or maybe even guys you know about that aren't even in the UFC yet.
    I heart cock

On the JRE he said it was his karate that allowed him to get in on opponents:

[/I]
    Correct
    1 unit = 300 $

I don't know that that's like pushing the reset button on his career though. In any case, I am more talking guys in the UFC who have like 3 or fewer fights . . . or maybe even guys you know about that aren't even in the UFC yet.
    In that case:

Will Brooks
    Michael Chandler
    David Rickels
    Dave Jansen
    Lowen Tynanes
    Koji Ando

Also, Poirier is only 26. I don't know that I would rule him out just because he's been busy. Kind of like Stefan Struve. He may be a veteran by definition of cage time in the UFC, but the kid is still learning shit every day, and still improving every fight.
    Last edited by Ludo; 11-01-2015 at 12:03 AM.

I agree Northcutt is a legit prospect, but to Ludo's point you can't count out guys making incremental improvements.

Look at RDA, a low-key middling almost-journeyman fighter who quietly improves fight-to-fight until one day he kicks Ben Henderson's head off and you say oh shit this dude is a badass all of a sudden. Then he bends Nate Diaz over, pulls his pants down, and literally fucks him in the ass in the middle of the cage. He follows this up by inserting his big, brown, Brazilian monkey wrench all up into Pretty Tony Pettis' Wheaties box and crushes his perceived long championship reign.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Quote Originally Posted by zY| View Post
    I agree Northcutt is a legit prospect, but to Ludo's point you can't count out guys making incremental improvements.

Look at RDA, a low-key middling almost-journeyman fighter who quietly improves fight-to-fight until one day he kicks Ben Henderson's head off and you say oh shit this dude is a badass all of a sudden. Then he bends Nate Diaz over, pulls his pants down, and literally fucks him in the ass in the middle of the cage. He follows this up by inserting his big, brown, Brazilian monkey wrench all up into Pretty Tony Pettis' Wheaties box and crushes his perceived long championship reign.
    Or Robbie Lawler. Most people thought his career was done, now he's making the "new breed"s faces literally explode.

Quote Originally Posted by zY| View Post
    I'm not counting them out. I'm just saying if we're having a conversation about "prospects" then guys like that don't qualify. Northcutt is a prospect. Michael Page is still a prospect. I'm talking about guys who are still relatively new to the sport, not guys who have been fighting for years.

Ludo put Michael fucking Chandler on his revised list. Michael Chandler is 29, has 16 pro fights and is a former champion in a major organization. That is not a prospect. He's a guy who may very well have already passed the mid-point of his career.

And obviously it's not that those can't can do some serious shit over the next handful of years, it's just not the conversation that we're having.
    I heart cock

Sage with Hughes. Hughes looks old.

I heart cock

I'm not counting them out. I'm just saying if we're having a conversation about "prospects" then guys like that don't qualify. Northcutt is a prospect. Michael Page is still a prospect. I'm talking about guys who are still relatively new to the sport, not guys who have been fighting for years.

Ludo put Michael fucking Chandler on his revised list. Michael Chandler is 29, has 16 pro fights and is a former champion in a major organization. That is not a prospect. He's a guy who may very well have already passed the mid-point of his career.

And obviously it's not that those can't can do some serious shit over the next handful of years, it's just not the conversation that we're having.
    You specified lightweight prospect, then changed the rules to guys who had <5 fights in the UFC, or had never fought in the UFC. Chandler is still very much a prospect, because while he has 16 fights who the fuck has he fought other than a washed up Ghono, Alvarez, and other exciting young fighters?

Can we put this nonsense to bed now?

2-0!!!!!!!!!!
    I heart cock

But for real, he's 19 and new to the sport and still pretty raw. He got taken down almost immediately, which was kind of surprising, but I think that was just lack of experience. What concerns me more is the way he barely looked like he knew what he was doing off his back. He was trying to shrimp out and shit, but he wasn't doing a very good job of it and who knows how long he'd have been down there if the ref hadn't stood them up. Would he have been down there all round?

In any case, once he got back to his feet he went into beast mode and finished the fight soon after. So don't act like he lost or even like it ended up being some close decision.
    I heart cock

But for real, he's 19 and new to the sport and still pretty raw. He got taken down almost immediately, which was kind of surprising, but I think that was just lack of experience. What concerns me more is the way he barely looked like he knew what he was doing off his back. He was trying to shrimp out and shit, but he wasn't doing a very good job of it and who knows how long he'd have been down there if the ref hadn't stood them up. Would he have been down there all round?

In any case, once he got back to his feet he went into beast mode and finished the fight soon after. So don't act like he lost or even like it ended up being some close decision.
    Yeah but he got taken down and controlled for nearly a whole round by Cody fucking Pfister.

Yeah but he got taken down and controlled for nearly a whole round by Cody fucking Pfister.
    So you're not going to give him any credit for righting the ship? Or taking Cody down with ease? Or getting a second round sub?

Why do you hate Sage?
    I heart cock