Thread: Crocop Announces Retirement

Crocop Announces Retirement

One of mixed martial arts’ greatest heavyweights of all time is calling it a career.

Mirko Filipovic, a former Croatian military police officer that adopted a fitting nickname in “Cro Cop,” announced his decision to retire in a message posted to his official website Tuesday morning.

“Dear friends, unfortunately I had to cancel the fight [against Anthony Hamilton at UFC Fight Night “Henderson vs. Alves”]. In the beginning of the preparation I hurt my shoulder, so I couldn't raise [my] hand. I tried to save a shoulder injury and repair in all possible ways: daily therapy, injections of blood plasma and various cocktails of drugs but it didn't work out. The only cure would be a break of two to three weeks, and that I could not afford in the midst of final preparations. By daily trainings the injury got worse. Part of the muscle is snapped, the shoulder is filled with a lot of fluids, and the great danger is that tendon ruptures and then go to operation again.

“I don't need that, especially at my age,” said Filipovic, 41. “The next fight would my 80th as a professional and that is a lot, especially in competition: K-1, Pride, IGF, UFC.

“This is not a temporary decision because I was unhappy due to all of that, but it's my final decision and it's best for me. Sooner or later the time comes when a man has to think [of his] health. I had a really long and great career and I believe I left a deep mark in martial arts, in [MMA] and in K-1 so I have no regrets. Thanks to everyone who followed me and supported me, but for me there remains beautiful memories.”

Filipovic, known for his vicious head kicks, will exit the game with a 31-11-2 (1 NC) professional record. The Pride Fighting Championships 2006 Absolute Grand Prix champion scored a staggering total of 23 knockouts in his career, including some of the sport’s most memorable finishes.
    I heart cock

Respect. He's a legend and at least he's going out on a good stoppage win in the UFC over Gonzaga.

For a man who probably should've retired years ago, that's not too bad.
    I heart cock

Absolute legend and an iconic figure both in kickboxing and mma. If they were worth fighting in the last fifteen years he fought them.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    Absolute legend and an iconic figure both in kickboxing and mma. If they were worth fighting in the last fifteen years he fought them.
    Yeah, I'm glad to see him go out like he did, not just with a win but a TKO win over a guy who had earlier handed him one of his most brutal losses.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    Yeah, I'm glad to see him go out like he did, not just with a win but a TKO win over a guy who had earlier handed him one of his most brutal losses.
    Sucks to hear about his body being all fucked up, though.

Sucks to hear about his body being all fucked up, though.

Yeah, that does suck but hopefully he can go ahead and heal up now and be fine.

It also sucks that almost every good highlight GIF of his is from Pride. His UFC run really was not that good.
    I heart cock

Yeah, that does suck but hopefully he can go ahead and heal up now and be fine.

It also sucks that almost every good highlight GIF of his is from Pride. His UFC run really was not that good.
    Alot of people contribute that to the transition from a ring to a cage. He basically fought and trained in a ring for 11 years, and then had to step into a cage for the first time. Plus by the time he got into the UFC he was 32, had fought 50 times over the course of 11 years. He never made a habit of getting tagged, but anyone who trains for 50 pro fights has mileage.

I legit wonder how big of a factor the shorts were in the decision. . .

This is a final decision, I dont owe anything to anyone and I go with a clean heart. I am not superstitious in any way but maybe this is for the best. I was supposed to fight in UFC who has an exclusive apparel contract with Reebok and I would not be allowed to fight in checkered shorts. After I did every fight in those, maybe this is for the best. God wanted it that way or some higher power.

I don't think about which win was the best or which defeat was the worst. Every defeat is hard, every victory sweet, ups and downs are part of the sport. I am happy that I ended my career with a revenge victory over Gonzaga in Krakow.
    I heart cock

I legit wonder how big of a factor the shorts were in the decision. . .
    Cro Cop doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would let that determine whether or not he decides to retire. The fact that he's 41 with basically a fucked shoulder is probably the big thing here.

Cro Cop doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would let that determine whether or not he decides to retire. The fact that he's 41 with basically a fucked shoulder is probably the big thing here.
    Damn, I can't believe he was only 41. I thought he was older. He's always looked kind of old, like the Nog bros.
    Last edited by SPX; 11-10-2015 at 05:46 PM.
    I heart cock

Hall of famer. Glad to see him got out a winner too.

One of the few guys that got me super excited to watch.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter