Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: UFC 217 Betting Info

IWS Member
    Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Rose Namajunas

Anton Tabuena: Much like the main event, this is a bout where I think all the cards are stacked against the challenger, but I’m still hoping they both somehow push through those perceived disadvantages and pull off an improbable victory. After seeing tidbits of her growth and struggles both inside and outside the cage, I just can’t help but root for Namajunas here. Unfortunately, I think it would be very tough to outstrike or create enough nice scrambles to capitalize against Joanna, who has shown to be a dominant striking machine who is incredibly tough to take down and equally dangerous in the clinch.

Joanna Jedrzejczyk by Decision.

Eddie Mercado: I love Rose! Now with that being said, she is going to get outclassed on the feet and will flounder at getting the fight to the ground.

JJ by Unanimous Decision.

Ryan Davies: I would love this fight 2 years from now, Joanna champion is in the midst of her prime and Rose is on the cusp of achieving her potential. Rose won’t be able to out strike Jedrzejczyk and if Andrade couldn’t get Joanna down I don’t see how Namajunas will.

Jedrzejczyk Unanimous Decision

Victor Rodriguez: Rose is a fantastic fighter, but she’s lacking in handspeed and movement compared to what is probably the best pure striker in the UFC right now - male or female. Joanna’s got excellent takedown defense, tremendous pressure, great cardio, and killer finishing instinct. It’s gonna be hard to land shots when you’re dealing with a buzzsaw like JJ. I trust Trevor Wittman to break things down in a manner that allows for Rose to create opportunities for her offense to break through, as well as being mindful of Joanna’s offense. I’m just not sure Rose is ready for this big a step up. Either way, we’re getting a hell of a fight, and you should be amped for this.

Joanna Champion by decision.

Zane Simon: Beyond an edge in striking power, there really aren’t many advantages for Namajunas. Her hands aren’t as fast, her clinch game isn’t as complex, and trying to wrestle JJ is often a recipe for disaster.

Joanna Jedrzejczyk via Decision.

Staff picking Joanna: Bissell, Ram, Phil, Nick, Dayne, Eddie, Davies, Mookie, Anton, Fraser, Stephie, Victor, Zane, Tim

Staff picking Namajunas:

IWS Member
    Jorge Masvidal vs. Stephen Thompson
    Anton Tabuena: If Masvidal actually takes it to Thompson, we might be in for a real treat, but there’s also a decent chance this becomes yet another staring contest sprinkled in with a few fancy kicks. I really hope it’s the former, but if that happens, I think this is where Thompson could shine.

Stephen Thompson by decision.

Eddie Mercado: Man, this is a tough one. I really want to call this a draw, but since Masvidal has an uncanny ability to lose a split decision, I’ll just go ahead with that.

Stephen Thompson by razor thin split decision.

Ryan Davies:
    This could be a striking masterpiece or two guys waiting around for the other to throw. Masvidal 2.0 is a fighter that isn’t leaving his future in the hands of the judges, but getting overly aggressive against Thompson and his Daniel Russo like skills could spell disaster. Masvidal, in my opinion is top 3 pound for pound when it comes to mma striking,he doesn’t possess one punch power but the cumulative damage will get it done.

Masvidal Knockout 3rd

Phil Mackenzie: This feels like such a Masvidal fight- he could well win it by marching inside, feinting the jab, disrupting Wonderboy's stance with kicks, and attacking in the clinch. Or. He could just hang out at range and wait for Wonderboy to do something weird. The most tragic thing about Masvidal is that in the Henderson or Maia fights, he didn't take his foot off the gas, he just lost, albeit in achingly close decisions. Wonderboy has given us 75 straight minutes of near-unadulterated tedium, apart from the bits where he was getting beaten up. I hope Masvidal can bring (or beat) something more interesting out of him.

Stephen Thompson by split decision

Victor Rodriguez: The only bad thing I can say about this fight is that it’s only three rounds. Masvidal knows he can’t just hang back and wait for the opportunity to counter. He’s going to have to walk Wonderboy down and make him sweat, then connect to the body while checking leg kicks and pressuring against the cage. From there, Masvidal softens him up by limiting his movement and outboxes him. I expect a takedown attempt or two to keep Thompson guessing, but this will mostly be a stand-up affair.

Jorge Masvidal by KO.

Zane Simon
    : I think this is a better matchup for Thompson than some people are willing to admit. My guess is that Thompson is able to land rangy strikes that frustrate Masvidal that then gets Masvidal to be aggressive and start walking in to exchanges where Thompson can land his counter shots. I’m excited to see if Masvidal can eat those and make Thompson pay in return, but I just don’t think Masvidal is quite explosive enough to take Thompson out of his game.

Stephen Thompson by decision.

Staff picking Masvidal: Ram, Davies, Stephie, Nick, Victor, Tim

Staff picking Thompson: Bissell, Dayne, Eddie, Mookie, Anton, Fraser, Zane

IWS Member
    Paulo Borrachinha vs. Johny Hendricks

Anton Tabuena: Hendricks should win this one, but I just really have lost faith in seeing him back in his championship form at this point. Bad weight cuts and lack of discipline have done a number on him, and I’m not sure we will ever see that powerhouse wrestler who carries the touch of death on his left hand anymore -- even after a couple of months with Greg Jackson.

Borrachinha by TKO.

Ryan Davies: I would much rather pick this fight post weigh ins, but based on what we have seen out of Hendricks lately it’s near impossible to take him over a star in the making like Borrachinha. If Hendricks can withstand the early onslaught he may be able to win a war of attrition. A 23 year old Borrachinha gassed in a 2 round fight on TUF Brazil 3 losing to eventual finalist “Lyoto” Alexandre. Time, desire, USADA there is just too much stacking up against Hendricks.

Borrichinha TKO 1st

Phil Mackenzie: Am I? Am I really thinking of picking Hendricks? This feels a lot like Maynard-Ishihara, where we have a washed fighter who nonetheless has a fairly overwhelming depth of skill in wrestling, against a one round finisher. If Borrachinha hurts Hendricks it's probably over. If a new(?) and improved(?!?) Jackson-Wink Hendricks takes Borrachinha down in the first? Hmmmm. Wait, no. I just heard that weigh-in rant. He's still struggling to make 185 and he sounds completely nuts.

Paolo Borrachinha by TKO, round 1.

Victor Rodriguez
    : Hendricks barely made weight, and not every fighter makes drastic improvements in their first fight with a new camp/team. Jackson/Winklejohn have done great things for some fighters, but this is still Johny Hendricks. He’s good, but he’s stubborn and not in the best shape anymore. He’s also undersized and facing a physical specimen that hits hard and has very accurate strikes. Good luck taking him down, too. Besides, it’s not like he’s a slouch on the ground. Again, gotta stay away from the least reliable of the two.

Borranchinha by TKO, round 2.

Zane Simon: Technically, Borrachinha doesn’t have many advantages here. He’s a slightly more potent offensive striker, but not quite a clinical one yet, and with a bad gas tank too. Physically however, he has a ton of advantages. And sometimes the physical side is all that matters.

Paulo Borrachinha via KO, Round 1.

Staff picking Borrachinha: Bissell, Ram, Nick, Eddie, Davies, Mookie, Anton, Fraser, Stephie, Phil, Victor, Zane

Staff picking Hendricks: Dayne, Tim

IWS Member
    Garbrandt is one of nine fighters in UFC history to win a belt with an undefeated record.

Garbrandt’s five-fight UFC winning streak in bantamweight competition is tied with Jimmie Rivera for the longest active streak in the division.

Garbrandt has earned nine of his 11 career victories by knockout. That includes four of his six UFC wins.

Garbrandt’s seven knockdowns landed in UFC bantamweight competition are the most in divisional history.

Dillashaw is one of six cast members from “The Ultimate Fighter” to win an undisputed UFC championship.

Dillashaw competes in his 14th UFC bantamweight bout, tied with Takeya Mizugaki for the second most appearances in divisional history behind UFC Hall of Famer Urijah Faber (15).

Dillashaw’s 10 victories in UFC bantamweight competition are tied with Faber for most in divisional history.

Dillashaw’s 10 victories in UFC/WEC bantamweight competition are tied for third most in divisional history behind Dominick Cruz (12) and Faber (11).

Dillashaw’s six stoppage victories in UFC bantamweight competition are tied with Faber for most in divisional history.

Dillashaw’s five knockout victories in UFC bantamweight competition are the most in divisional history.

Dillashaw’s five knockdowns landed in UFC bantamweight competition are tied for third most in divisional history behind Garbrandt (seven) and Eddie Wineland (six).

Dillashaw is one of two fighters in UFC history to land 100 or more significant strikes in five consecutive fights. Jedrzejczyk also accomplished the feat.

Dillashaw scored the latest head-kick knockout finish in UFC history when he stopped Joe Soto at the 2:20 mark of Round 5 at UFC 177.

Dillashaw is one of two fighters in UFC history to earn two or more fifth-round stoppage victories. Flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson also accomplished the feat.

Dillashaw lands 5.38 strikes landed per minute in UFC bantamweight competition, the second highest rate in divisional history behind Thomas Almeida (6.0).

Dillashaw’s 12 submission attempts in UFC bantamweight competition are tied with Alex Caceres for most in divisional history.

Dillashaw’s six fight-night bonuses for UFC bantamweight bouts are the most in divisional history.

IWS Member
    Jedrzejczyk became the first Polish-born champion in UFC history when she defeated Carla Esparza at UFC 185.

Jedrzejczyk is one of nine fighters in UFC history to win a belt with an undefeated record.

Jedrzejczyk’s five consecutive UFC title defenses are second most among current champions behind D. Johnson (11).

Jedrzejczyk’s six victories in UFC title fights are tied with Ronda Rousey for most of any female in company history.

Jedrzejczyk competes in her ninth UFC strawweight bout, the most appearances in divisional history.

Jedrzejczyk’s eight-fight UFC winning streak in strawweight competition is the longest active streak in the division.

Jedrzejczyk’s eight victories in UFC competition are tied with champ Amanda Nunes and Jessica Andrade for most of any female in company history.

Jedrzejczyk’s eight victories in UFC strawweight competition are the most in divisional history.

Jedrzejczyk has earned nine of her 14 career victories by decision. That includes six of her eight UFC wins.

Jedrzejczyk has out-landed her opponents 971-328 in significant strikes over her past six UFC appearances.

Jedrzejczyk is the only fighter in UFC history to land 200 or more significant strikes in two separate bouts.

Jedrzejczyk is one of two fighters in UFC history to land 100 or more significant strikes in five consecutive fights. Dillashaw also accomplished the feat.

Jedrzejczyk’s 225 significant strikes landed against Andrade at UFC 211 are a UFC title-fight record. She also holds the second highest amount with 220 against Valerie Letourneau at UFC 193.

Jedrzejczyk’s 225 significant strikes landed at UFC 211 are second most in a UFC fight behind Nate Diaz’s 238 significant strikes against Donald Cerrone at UFC 141 in December 2011.

Jedrzejczyk’s 75 leg kicks landed against Andrade at UFC 211 are the single-fight UFC record. She also holds the second highest amount with 70 against Letourneau at UFC 193.

Jedrzejczyk’s three fight-night bonuses for UFC strawweight bouts are the most in divisional history.

Namajunas competes in her seventh UFC strawweight bout, tied for the second most appearances in divisional history behind Jedrzejczyk (nine).

Namajunas’ four victories in UFC strawweight competition are tied for third most in divisional history behind Jedrzejczyk (eight) and Tecia Torres (five).

Namajunas has earned five of her six career victories by submission.

Namajunas’ three stoppage victories in UFC strawweight competition are tied with Paige VanZant for the most in divisional history.

Namajunas’ three submission victories in UFC strawweight competition are the most in divisional history.

Namajunas’ submission of VanZant at the 2:25 mark of Round 5 at UFC Fight Night 80 stands as the latest stoppage in UFC strawweight history and the latest stoppage overall in a women’s UFC bout.

Namajunas’ eight takedowns landed against VanZant at UFC Fight Night 80 stand as the single-fight record for a women’s UFC bout.

Namajunas’ 14 successful guard passes against VanZant at UFC Fight Night 80 stand as the single-fight record for a women’s UFC bout.

IWS Member
    Stephen Thompson (13-2-1 MMA, 8-2-1 UFC) enters the event on a two-fight winless skid. He hasn’t earned a victory since June 2016.

Thompson’s five knockout victories since 2012 in UFC welterweight competition are second most in the division behind Matt Brown (six).

Thompson’s five fight-night bonuses since 2012 for UFC welterweight bouts are tied for second most in the division behind Erick Silva (seven).

Jorge Masvidal (32-12 MMA, 9-5 UFC) is 4-3 since he returned to the welterweight division in July 2015.

Masvidal is one of five fighters in UFC history to finish a bout by submission at the 4:59 mark of Round 2. He accomplished the feat against Michael Chiesa at UFC on FOX 8.

Masvidal has suffered nine of his 12 career losses by decision. That includes all five of his UFC defeats.

IWS Member
    Johny Hendricks (18-7 MMA, 13-7 UFC) is 1-1 since he moved up to the UFC middleweight division in February.

Hendricks is 1-4 in his past five fights.

Hendricks is one of five fighters in UFC history to record three or more knockout victories in less than one minute each.

Hendricks and Lawler combined for 308 significant strikes landed at UFC 171, tied for second most ever for a UFC title fight behind Jedrzejczyk vs. Letourneau at UFC 193 (323 combined significant strikes).

Paulo Borrachinha (10-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) has earned all 10 of his career victories by stoppage.

Borrachinha has earned nine of his 10 career victories by knockout. That includes both of his UFC wins.

IWS Member
    Joseph Duffy (16-2 MMA, 4-1 UFC) has earned 14 of his 16 career victories by stoppage. He’s finished 13 opponents in the first round and eight in less than two minutes each.

Duffy has earned all three of his UFC stoppage victories in the first round.

Duffy’s 25-second submission of Mitch Clarke at UFC Fight Night 90 is the fourth fastest submission finish in UFC lightweight history.

IWS Member
    Walt Harris (10-6 MMA, 3-5 UFC) competes in his second UFC bout in a 28-day stretch. He lost to Fabricio Werdum at UFC 216 this past month.

Harris is 3-2 since he returned to the UFC for a second stint in April 2016.

Harris has earned all 10 of his career victories by knockout.

Harris defends 63 percent of all opponent significant strike attempts in UFC heavyweight competition, the highest rate among active fighters in the weight class.

IWS Member
    Mickey Gall (4-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) has earned all four of his career victories by submission in a total fight time of 12:32.

Gall’s three-fight submission streak in UFC competition is the longest among active fighters.

Gall’s 45-second submission of Mike Jackson at UFC Fight Night 82 tied the mark for fourth fastest submission in UFC welterweight history.

IWS Member
    Aleksei Oleinik (52-10-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) has earned 42 of his 52 career victories by submission. He’s finished 36 of those wins in Round 1.

Oleinik has earned his past 14 victories by stoppage. That includes all four of his UFC wins.

Oleinik is the only fighter in UFC history to earn an Ezekiel choke submission victory. He accomplished the feat at UFC Fight Night 103.

IWS Member
    Corey Anderson (9-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) lands 5.01 significant strikes per minute in UFC light-heavyweight competition, the highest rate among active fighters in the weight class.

Anderson completes 50 percent of his takedown attempts in UFC light-heavyweight competition, the third highest rate in divisional history behind Lyoto Machida (65 percent) and Glover Teixeira (51.4 percent).

Anderson’s 61-second knockout of Matt Van Buren at the TUF 19 Finale stands as the fastest finish in a “TUF” tournament final.

Ovince Saint Preux (21-10 MMA, 9-5 UFC) competes in his second UFC fight in a 42-day span. He defeated Yushin Okami at UFC Fight Night 1117 in September.

Saint Preux’s two-fight UFC winning streak in light heavyweight competition is tied for the second longest active streak in the division behind Mauricio Rua (three) and Volkan Oezdemir (three).

Saint Preux’s nine victories since 2013 in UFC light heavyweight competition are the most in the division.

Saint Preux has earned 16 of his 21 career victories by stoppage. That includes seven of his nine UFC wins.

Saint Preux’s seven stoppage victories since 2013 in UFC competition are most in the light heavyweight division and tied for fourth most in the company behind Cerrone (nine), champ Max Holloway (eight) and Derrick Lewis (eight).

Saint Preux’s four submission victories in UFC light-heavyweight competition are tied with Renato Sobral for second most in divisional history behind Jon Jones (five).

Saint Preux’s three Von Flue choke submissions in UFC/WEC/PRIDE/Strikeforce are the most in combined company history. No one else has more than one.

Saint Preux has earned three of the five Von Flue choke victories in UFC history. Jason Von Flue and Jordan Rinaldi also accomplished the feat.

Saint Preux’s two technical submission victories in UFC competition are tied for second most in company history behind Frank Mir (three).

Saint Preux vs. Okami was just the second fight in UFC history to feature zero combined significant strike attempts. Ilir Latifi vs. Cyrille Diabate at UFC on FUEL TV 6 was the other.

IWS Member
    Tally

Aiemann Zahabi - 16
    Ricardo Ramos - 6

Oleksiy Oliynyk - 10
    Curtis Blaydes - 14

Mickey Gall - 17
    Randy Brown - 7

Corey Anderson - 9
    Ovince Saint Preux - 14

Mark Godbeer - 3
    Walt Harris - 21