Vegas Total:
    Detroit
    5 1/2
    Dunkel Pick:
    Buffalo
    (+130); Over

Service Play Moderator Can'tPickAWinner's Avatar
    Eric Schroeder

My free play for tonight is in the same game I'm releasing the side. I love the Over in tonight's Mountain West Conference showdown between the UNLV Rebels and New Mexico Lobos.

I won't get into this too much, as I don't want to tip my hand as to what side I'm playing, but what I can tell you is that I do not trust either defense in this game.

New Mexico has the much better stop unit, but it also falters against the pass. UNLV falters all around, allowing 461.1 yards per game, which ranks 116th out of 129 teams.

These two are going to put on a show on Branch Field at University Stadium, with a pair of rushing games that rank in the top 22 in the nation. New Mexico (22nd) gains 226 yards per game, while UNLV (19th) rumbles for 239 ypg.

And normally that's a good sign to expect a low-scoring game, as it promotes a running clock and keeps the ball out of the other team's hands. But they also have big-play running backs, and no lead will be safe.

Look for both to hit the 30s, the total to hit the 60s, and my 30 Dime Side to pair nicely with this total going over.

5* OVER UNLV/New Mexico

Joey Juice

The Knicks head to Toronto after a brilliant homestad and the question is can they bring the fire from Madison Square Garden on the road with them to Canada?

Let's be honest we didn't even think we would be speaking of the Knicks as a team that could be competitive, let alone win at this point and juncture of their rebuilding phase, but here they are in a battle for second place with none other than the team they're playing tonight, the Toronto Raptors.

I don't think the Knicks are ready to beat the Raptors in Toronto but I do feel they will easily cover the spread as they bring confidence from their recent homestand and are not going to get blown out.

A look inside the numbers would support that theory:

Knicks play well with an extra day to prepare, they are 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games playing on 1 day of rest. In fact the Knicks are playing well against the number right now in general as they are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games overall.

Can't say the same for the Raptors who are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 after allowing 100 points or more in their previous game, and 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games following a straight up win.

Knicks cover.

4* NEW YORK

Tommy Brunson

My Friday free play release is the Clippers plus the points at the Cavaliers.

Cleveland is finally starting to string together some consistent winning - they return home after winning all 3 on the road their last 3 times out! - but with those wins comes the inflated lines they will be asked to cover.

Los Angeles is looking to end a streak of 6 straight losses both straight up and against the spread.

Perhaps the streak hits 7 in a row straight up, but I am going to look for the desperate Clips to at least be close when the whip comes down.

Los Angeles won both series meetings a season ago, look for them to at least be in the "ball park" tonight.

2* L.A. CLIPPERS

Chris Jordan

My free play for Friday night will be on the Over in the Pacific Division showdown between the Phoenix Suns and Los Angeles Lakers, as the two old school rivals take the court at Staples Center.

Though neither rank in the top 10 of points per game, but they do allow a lot of points. Phoenix ranks dead last in allowing 116.8 points per game, while the Lakers are giving up an average of 106.5 points per contest.

Now the get together for a Friday night clash in L.A., and no matter how good or bad the Lakers are, there is no bigger party in the NBA than a Friday in Los Angeles.

The Suns have gone over in four of five on the road, while the Lakers have soared in five of six against losing teams. Most importantly, these two have gone high in six of the last seven meetings.

Play this one high.

4* OVER Suns/Lakers

Jack Brayman

Now about this complimentary winner

Let's keep this 16-5 win streak rolling, as I'm playing the Detroit Red Wings on the puck line tonight, over the Buffalo Sabres.

The Detroit Red Wings come into this clash short-handed, but what I've learned about many teams this season, is when they're up against it, missing key components, they play some of their best hockey.

Tonight the Wings will make up for the absences of Luke Witkowski and Trevor Daley, by taking out frustrations on the Buffalo Sabres with a convincing and momentous win.

Little Caesars Arena will be rocking on a Friday night, and the Wings will respond with the same offensive effort that just drubbed the Calgary Flames, 8-2, on Wednesday. Tonight marks Detroit's third home game during a five game home stand, so the Wings should be fine in terms of rest and fresh legs.

No traveling. No hotel rooms.

Unlike the Sabres, who are wrapping up a three-game road trip, after losses in Montreal and Pittsburgh. They've lost three in a row and six of eight, and now play their third road game in seven days.

Take the home team in a rout tonight.

3* RED WINGS PUCK LINE

DAVE COKIN

NORTHERN ARIZONA AT ARIZONA STATE
    PLAY: ARIZONA STATE -23.5

Northern Arizona has one chance to stay in this game at Tempe against Arizona State. The Sun Devils could come out flat off a great win against San Diego State and take the Lumberjacks for granted.

But even if that’s the case, there’s every chance ASU runs away with the game regardless. The shorter shot clock is an upset eliminator of sorts. The weaker teams cannot milk possessions as they have to try and get something up relatively quickly and they’re generally just not good enough to do so.

The belief among many who follow college basketball was that the 30-second shot clock would be a benefit to big favorites, particularly those who like playing up tempo. There simply are not many options for the less entries to keep pace over 40 minutes. Consequently, we’re seeing some really lopsided results in the mismatches and I don’t consider this to be any kind of fluke.

Arizona State loves to run and I don’t see what NAU is going to be able to do as far as slowing things down are concerned. It’s always possible ASU could have an off night shooting, or I suppose the underdog Lumberjacks could outwork the overconfident favorites. But those are variables that fall into the strictly a guess category.

What’s not a guess is that on paper this is a mismatch. Northern Arizona is 0-2 out of the gate. The lopsided loss to Arizona was expected. But the Lumberjacks also lost to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University on Monday. I have to confess I had never heard of this university. I sense that the typical Embry-Riddle student is probably really intelligent and a great bet to have an immensely successful career. Just not in basketball.

I don’t think the number on this game is high enough and expect the Sun Devils to win by something along the lines of 30 points. I laid the -23.5 with Arizona State.

Robert Ferringo

Northern Kentucky at James Madison
    Play: Northern Kentucky

I think that this game is going to be a blowout. James Madison is a train wreck of a program. Lou Rowe has been less than inspiring in his young tenure leading the Dukes. And after finally clearing the decks and dumping most of the guys from last year's team he has started his rebuilding effort in earnest. Northern Kentucky is a team that is much further along. They won 24 games last year and they have several guys that can put the ball in the hole. The inside-out duo of Drew McDonald and Lavone Holland is better than anything that Madison can counter with. And their two wins to start the season weren't even close, including a blowout win over East Tennessee State. This game is being played on a neutral site in Nassau. And I think that Northern Kentucky's experience is going to pay dividends for them here.

ASA

New Mexico -2.5 over UNLV

The Rebels have allowed 265 rushing yards or more in 4 of their last 6 games. Against the option attack of Air Force, UNLV allowed over 400 yards rushing. That doesn’t bode well for the Rebels defense in terms of being able to get off the field against the ground-heavy attack of the Lobos here. New Mexico has averaged 276 rushing yards per game (and 6.2 yards per carry) in their home games this season. On a 5-game losing streak, the Lobos are favored here with good reason. We look for New Mexico to take advantage of a Rebels team allowing 453 yards per game on the road this season. UNLV, since the start of the 2014 season, is 0-5 SU and ATS in games where the spread ranges anywhere from a 3 point dog to a 3 point fave and that is the case again here. Once again, the Rebels fall short as the Lobos improve on marks that have seen them go 13-7 SU their last 20 home games and 9-3 SU in their last 12 games versus teams with a losing record. Bet New Mexico in this late evening Friday match-up.

SPORTS WAGERS

Buffalo +130 over DETROIT

OT included. The Red Wings are coming off a resounding 8-2 win over Calgary but they scored eight times in 27 shots on net. Eddie lack was yanked after five goals. After leaving Vancouver years ago, Lack has proven to be among the worst goaltenders in the game over the past five decades. That Detroit won and won big means jack. The Red Wings have been much more competitive this season than they were projected to be and for that, they deserve some credit. However, it’s worth noting that they are 2-5 against top-16 competition and their expected goals against ranks lower than Buffalo’s. The Red Wings are very simply better suited in the role of the underdog.

The Sabres are coming off another loss, this time in Pittsburgh by a score of 5-4 in OT. Prior to that, they lost in Montreal in OT also. While a loss is never satisfying, the Sabres have to feel pretty good about taking two quality teams the distance on the road. The Sabres metrics are great to be sure but they have been getting better week by week and now they are allowing far less scoring chances against. It may surprise you to learn that Buffalo has given up the fourth least scoring chances in the game. After playing Dallas, Montreal and Pittsburgh in three of its last four games with Washington thrown in between those, the Sabres take a step down in class here against a team that they are superior to. Buffalo is starting to come on and if its goaltending holds up, they are in line to go on a run. We’ll put that to the test here.

SPORTS WAGERS

WESTERN KENTUCKY +112 over Mid Tennessee St

Compared to year’s past, 2017 has been a tremendous fall from grace for the Hilltoppers. After two years of Conference USA supremacy as back-to-back champions, Western Kentucky is flirting with the possibility of missing a bowl game in 2017. The Hilltoppers won a combined total of 23 games in the previous two seasons while they lost just one game in conference play over that span. This year, the Hilltoppers have tripled that number already as they are 5-5 on the season and 3-3 in the Conference USA. Overall, WKU has hit a nasty skid, as they have lost their last three games by an average of 11.7 points. The typically prolific offense that WKU is known for has looked nothing close to what we have seen out of this bunch in years’ past. Such a shift was to be expected because the mastermind behind WKU’s dominance, former Head Coach Jeff Brohm, left town for a job at Purdue. Under the regime change, the Hilltoppers have taken a noticeable step back, which provides us with an opportunity, as we are not exposed to spotting lofty point spreads with the Hilltoppers anymore. WKU has covered just two times this year, mainly because the Hilltoppers were still inflicting premiums on its backers. We are now the beneficiaries of a market overreaction to WKU’s plight.

By contrast, the stock on Middle Tennessee State is on the rise because they have won their last two outings while outscoring its opponents 65-24. However, beating down Charlotte and UTEP in Murfreesboro is not an impressive feat to revel at. The two teams combined have won just one game this year, epitomizing every bit of the word, cupcake. You know our take on teams that feast on the sweets and there couldn’t be a more prime time for a bellyache. Nevertheless, the combination of these two narratives has enticed action on the Blue Raiders. Steady steam has rolled in on MTSU from the get-go and now this spot looks especially good, as we can take back a price on the team that we’re suggesting has a better chance of winning. “100 Miles of Hate” as it is known between the two franchises has been Western Kentucky’s show. The Hilltoppers have won the last two editions and while the trend is irrelevant from a statistical sense, it provides Western Kentucky with an intangible for this game. The Hilltoppers have an emotional edge and for the seniors on this team, this is their last hurrah at home before graduation. Beating a hated foe that they have fared well against and securing bowl eligibility in their final home game would serve as a fine feather in their cap. While Middle Tennessee State is known for its home field advantage in Murfreesboro but this isn’t home. MTSU will certainly need all four quarters to subdue an opponent poised to play its best game but for us, there is more than enough value in the price of this underdog to get on board.

Harry Bondi

UNLV (+2.5) over New Mexico

Head Coach Bob Davies is a dead man walking and will be canned after the Lobo’s game against San Diego State next week. Davies is being investigated by the NCAA for mistreatment of players and falsifying drug tests. That and a 3-7 record will get you fired every time! His players know it and have quit on him losing their last 3 games by a combined score of 121 to 27! Vegas on the other hand has been the best road team in the country going 4-0 straight up and ATS. Rebels get the win and the money again tonight!

Buster Sports

New York at Toronto
    Play: New York +8

This is just a real bad spot for the Raptors tonight as this will be their third game in four nights. It also is their first game back from a very successful three-game road trip. They almost won all three games except for a point loss to the Celtics. However, as we always say that first home game can be tough for a team especially if they’re in a bad situation like the Raptors are tonight. The Knicks have surprisingly been playing some decent basketball winning five out of their last seven games. Earlier in the year, the Knicks actually won on the road in Cleveland. We will have no problem believing that they can play a game right down to the wire against this Raptor club who will be looking ahead to a big game with Eastern Conference rival the Washington Wizards. At the time of this writing, the Raptors are minus 8 and we will take those points with the Knicks.