Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Friday 2-2-18 Free Plays / Trends / Betting Info / Etc

Service Play Moderator Can'tPickAWinner's Avatar

Friday 2-2-18 Free Plays / Trends / Betting Info / Etc

Handicapped by Rick Needham at Aqueduct

RACE #1 - AQUEDUCT - 12:50 PM EASTERN POST
    8.0 FURLONGS DIRT FILLIES AND MARES FOUR YEARS OLD AND UPWARD $16,000.00 CLAIMING $27,000.00 PURSE

#2 STAY FOND
    #6 THREE EIGHTY EIGHT
    #3 WOUNDWITHHEREYES
    #4 PAULA'S PISTOL

#2 STAY FOND takes a BIG class drop (-16) this afternoon, and has produced "POWER RUN PERFORMANCES" in four of her last five outings, facing substantially better company in each of those outings, than he will face in the claiming field today. #6 THREE EIGHTY EIGHT has hit the board in each of her last three races, with two of those "board hit efforts" also qualifying as "POWER RUNS." Jockey Hector Rafael Diaz Jr. and Trainer Linda Rice send her to the post for the "Friday Opener" ... they've hit the board with 61% of their entries saddled as a team to date.

Handicapped by The Walker Group at Fair Grounds

Always check program numbers.
    Odds shown are morning line odds.

Race 3 - Maiden Claiming - 6.0f on the Dirt. Purse: $15000 Class Rating: 67

FOR MAIDENS, THREE YEARS OLD. WEIGHT, 120 LBS. CLAIMING PRICE $15,000, FOR EACH $2,500 TO $10,000 2 LBS.

RECOMMENDED CHOICES
    The Walker Group Picks

# 4 GREAT SKY 7/2

# 3 BLUES TOUR 5/1

# 6 TAICHUNG BOBBY 9/2

My pick in this competition is GREAT SKY. Shows signs of the look of a lucrative play, averaging a solid 62 Equibase speed fig which is one of the most competitive in this group of animals. Has to be carefully examined based on the very strong speed figure put up in the last contest. The average Equibase class rating alone makes this entrant a solid choice. BLUES TOUR - Looks very good for the conditions of this race today, showing solid numbers in dirt sprint races recently. With a strong jockey who has won at a competitive 18 percent rate over the last 30 days. This has to be one of the top selections. TAICHUNG BOBBY - Stidham has this gelding racing well and is a very good choice based on the decent Equibase Speed Figures garnered in sprint races as of late. Earning some nice money in dirt sprint races.

F.A.S.T. Sheets Free Race for Golden Gate Fields

Golden Gate Fields - Race 1

$1 Exacta / $0.50 Trifecta / $1 Superfecta (.10 min) $2 Rolling Double / $1 Pick 3 (Races 1-2-3) $0.50 Early Pick 5 Races (1-2-3-4-5)

Claiming $3,200 • 1 Mile • All-Weather • Ages 4 and up • CR: 76 • Purse: $7,000 • Post: 12:45
    FOR FILLIES AND MARES FOUR YEARS OLD AND UPWARD WHICH HAVE NEVER WON TWO RACES. FOUR YEAR OLDS, 124 LBS.; OLDER, 125 LBS. CLAIMING PRICE $3,200 (MAIDEN, CLAIMING AND STARTER RACES FOR $2,500 OR LESS NOT CONSIDERED).
    Contenders

Race Analysis
    P#
    Horse
    Morn
    Line

Accept
    Odds

Race Type: Dominant Front-runner. TAYLOR'S ROSE is the Dominant Front-runner of the race. * KEY ANGLES * TAYLOR'S ROSE: Horse ranks in the top three in TrackMaster Power Rating. Horse has the highest average Equibase Speed Figure at the distance/ surface.
    TAYLOR'S ROSE
    2/1

5/2

P#

Horse (In Running Style Order)

Morn
    Line

Running Style

Good
    Class

Good
    Speed

Early Figure

Finish Figure

Platinum
    Figure
    TAYLOR'S ROSE

2/1
    Alternator/Front-runner

MIA'S STORM

6/1
    Alternator/Stalker

GOLDEN BUBBLES

9/5
    Trailer

CROWN POINT

5/1
    Alternator/Trailer

BULL EMPRESS

12/1
    Alternator/Non-contender

COLONEL PEGGY SUE

4/1
    Alternator/Non-contender

Handicapped by The Turf Club Analysts

Bar

Gulfstream Park - Race #8 - Post: 4:06pm - Claiming - 6.0 furlongs on the Dirt. Purse: $34,000 Class Rating: 75

Rating: Golden DollarGolden DollarGolden Dollar

#3 TENACITY ZIP (ML=7/2)
    #5 MAGIC DRAGON (ML=6/1)
    #8 HARD WAY WINNER (ML=2/1)

TENACITY ZIP - This gelding is in fine form. Finished third on Jan 13th. Saez is up for another event today after sitting atop this equine for the first attempt on Jan 13th and ought to know the ropes to this one a little better. I usually like playing sprinters who are 3-4 races into a comeback. MAGIC DRAGON - This jock and conditioner have a high win pct together. Was in a non-classified race race at Gulfstream Park last time out. That affair had a class figure of 83 and he is moving down in this race. A certain strong challenger. HARD WAY WINNER - I have to like this gelding's likelihood of winning at the shorter trip. Didn't do well last out, but I do see two starts back when racing on the dirt, a whole different horse. Speed rating of 91 should put this one in the money.

Vulnerable Contenders: #6 CONTROLLED FURY (ML=9/2), #1 BEE QUIET (ML=6/1), #4 LITHIUM Z (ML=8/1),

CONTROLLED FURY - Really had to show me a whole lot more last time out. Never made much of an impact. BEE QUIET - Tough to wager on any horse in a short distance contest if he hasn't hit the board in a sprint in the last sixty days. LITHIUM Z - The Brain always tells me to keep away from ponies in sprint events that haven't hit the board in short distance events lately.

STRAIGHT WAGERS:
    Bet on #3 TENACITY ZIP to win if we can get at least 7/2 odds

EXACTA WAGERS:
    Box [3,5]

TRIFECTA WAGERS:
    Box [3,5,8] Total Cost: $6

SUPERFECTA WAGERS:
    [3,5,8] with [3,5,8] with [3,4,5,6,8] with [3,4,5,6,8] Total Cost: $36

SUPER HI 5 WAGERS:
    [3,5,8] with [3,5,8] with [3,5,6,8] with [1,3,4,5,6,8] with [1,3,4,5,6,8] Total Cost: $72

F.A.S.T. Sheets Free Race for Sam Houston Race Park

Sam Houston Race Park - Race 1

WPS / Exacta / Trifecta / Superfecta / Daily Double (Races 1-2) Pick 3 (Races 1-2-3) / Pick 4 (Races 1-2-3-4)

Maiden Special • 6 1/2 Furlongs • Dirt • Ages 4 and up • CR: 59 • Purse: $20,000 • Post: 7:00P
    (PLUS UP TO $3,000 ATB) FOR MAIDENS, FILLIES AND MARES FOUR YEARS OLD AND UPWARD. WEIGHT, 123 LBS.
    Contenders

Race Analysis
    P#
    Horse
    Morn
    Line

Accept
    Odds

Race Type: Lone Trailer. CHENERY is the Lone Trailer of the race. * KEY ANGLES * BOARDROOM DRAMA: Horse had a bullet workout within the last seven days. MIZZ CAT C S: Today is a sprint and the horse's last start was within the last ten days. CHE NERY: Jockey/Trainer combination return on investment is at least +20. RACETRACK DIVA: Horse ranks in the top three in TrackMaster Power Rating. SUNUP SUZIE: Horse has the highest average Equibase Class Rating at the distance/surface.
    BOARDROOM DRAMA
    5/2

5/1
    MIZZ CAT C S
    5/1

6/1
    CHENERY
    6/1

8/1
    RACETRACK DIVA
    7/2

9/1
    SUNUP SUZIE
    15/1

10/1

P#

Horse (In Running Style Order)

Morn
    Line

Running Style

Good
    Class

Good
    Speed

Early Figure

Finish Figure

Platinum
    Figure
    SUNUP SUZIE

15/1
    Front-runner

CEE R STAR

4/1
    Front-runner

RACETRACK DIVA

7/2
    Alternator/Front-runner

BOARDROOM DRAMA

5/2
    Alternator/Stalker

MIZZ CAT C S

5/1
    Alternator/Stalker

GIO POINT

8/1
    Alternator/Stalker

CHENERY

6/1
    Trailer

OOGA OOGA MOOSKA

2/1
    Alternator/Non-contender

Handicapped by The Walker Group at Sunland Park

Always check program numbers.
    Odds shown are morning line odds.

Race 5 - Maiden - 350y on the Dirt. Purse: $22600 Class Rating: 83

QUARTER HORSE 350Y, FOR REGISTERED NEW MEXICO BRED MAIDENS, THREE YEARS OLD. WEIGHT, 122 LBS.

RECOMMENDED CHOICES
    The Walker Group Picks

# 12 MISS WOODY JAMES 3/1

# 10 REGARDS PK 8/1

# 3 EYE KNOW THE SECRET 12/1

MISS WOODY JAMES is the best wager in this race. The average class rating alone makes this one a definite contender. With a sound 67 average speed figure at the distance, seems well suited for today's contest. With a reliable jock who has won at a competitive 19 percent clip over the last 30 days. This has to be one of the top selections. REGARDS PK - Could provide positive gains based on strong recent Speed Figures with an average of 74. Could wake up with Lasix change (with second time Lasix) today. EYE KNOW THE SECRET - Has to be given a shot based on the formidable speed rating put up in the last contest. Has solid speed figs and has to be considered for a bet for this race.

Handicapped by The Turf Club Analysts

Bar

Tampa Bay Downs - Race #8 - Post: 4:14pm - Maiden Claiming - 7.0 furlongs on the Dirt. Purse: $15,200 Class Rating: 74

Rating: Golden DollarGolden DollarGolden Dollar

#1 POKERIST (ML=9/5)
    #7 REAL FAST MUSIC (ML=3/1)

POKERIST - This is a fairly classic handicapping angle. Play a thoroughbred that finished in the place spot in a maiden race last time out but finished well clear of the show horse. You always have to be on the lookout for money making jockey/conditioner tandems; we have one right here. Another way to judge class is earnings per start. This racer has the uppermost in the field. I think he'll be close at the finish. REAL FAST MUSIC - Gallardo is back for another affair today after sitting atop this horse for the first attempt on January 17th and ought to know the ropes to this one a little better. If this gelding gets out of the gate cleanly, he'll be tough to catch.

Vulnerable Contenders: #8 WHISTLE ME HOME (ML=7/2), #5 BANKINGONTHEDUDE (ML=6/1), #6 RULE BOOK (ML=6/1),

WHISTLE ME HOME - Not likely for this participant to do much running with no recent good showings in a short distance affair. Where is the speed? None to be found in here to set things up for this horse. BANKINGONTHEDUDE - If he goes off near the oddsmaker's morning line of 6/1, I'll have to pass. RULE BOOK - I'm foretelling a lackluster go of it out of him this time.

STRAIGHT WAGERS:
    #1 POKERIST is going to be the play if we are getting 8/5 or better

EXACTA WAGERS:
    Box [1,7]

TRIFECTA WAGERS:
    Pass

SUPERFECTA WAGERS:
    None

SUPER HIGH 5 WAGERS:
    None

Pacers vs. Hornets Preview and Predictions

By Gracenote for Scores and Stats
    The Indiana Pacers are winners of three straight games -- a stretch that includes a 105-96 triumph over the Charlotte Hornets. The Pacers will try to find a similar result on the road when they visit Charlotte for a brief one-game road trip on Friday.

Indiana got 25 points from Victor Oladipo in that win over Charlotte on Monday but he was held to 13 in a 105-101 victory over Memphis on Wednesday -- his lowest scoring total in over a month -- as the Pacers survived a scare. "We had to grind it out and figure out a way to win this game," Indiana coach Nate McMillan told reporters. "I thought we started to get a little tougher on the defensive end of the floor. Offensively we made shots, made plays when we needed to, but we just have to do a better job of controlling the boards and rebounding the ball." The Hornets bounced back from their loss at Indiana by rolling over the Atlanta Hawks 123-110 on Wednesday. Charlotte managed to score 100 or more points twice in its last five games, both times against the lowly Hawks.

TV: 7 p.m. ET, FS Indiana, FS Southeast (Charlotte)

ABOUT THE PACERS (29-23): Oladipo got some scoring support on Wednesday from shooting guard Bojan Bogdanovic, who scored 21 points on 7-of-12 shooting and came through on the defensive end down the stretch in the victory after going scoreless while missing all three of his shot attempts against the Hornets. "He did a great job, man, especially down the stretch," Oladipo told reporters of Bogdanovic. "(His fourth-quarter steal) was a huge play for us. Getting the rebound at the end of the game was huge for us. Stepping up and making all those free throws was huge, too. The way he shot the ball today was huge for us, as well." Bogdanovic collected three of Indiana's 16 steals in the victory.

ABOUT THE HORNETS (21-29): Charlotte is at its best when Kemba Walker is shooting with efficiency, and he set a career high with nine 3-pointers in 13 attempts en route to 38 points in Wednesday's win. Walker joined Golden State's Stephen Curry and Portland's Damian Lillard as the only players to make at least nine 3-pointers in a game this season. "It was great. I needed it I think," Walker told reporters. "I've been struggling all year shooting the three and in these last couple games I've been shooting it well. Tonight, I was aggressive, and they went down for me. To make nine threes and be in the company of (Curry and Lillard), that's pretty big time."

BUZZER BEATERS

1. McMillan will miss the game due to personal reasons.

2. Hornets C Dwight Howard is enjoying a string of 10 straight double-doubles.

3. Indiana's last win at Charlotte came on Feb. 8, 2015.

PREDICTION: Pacers 106, Hornets 99

Hawks vs. Celtics Preview and Predictions

By Gracenote for Scores and Stats07:30 PM
    The first-place team in the Eastern Conference hosts the last-place squad when the Boston Celtics continue a homestand against the Atlanta Hawks on Friday. Playing without All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving - who is day-to-day with a right quad contusion - the Celtics rolled past New York 103-73 on Wednesday for their second straight victory following a 1-5 swoon.

Terry Rozier stepped in for Irving and recorded a triple-double in his first career start with 17 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists. "It just worked out perfect for me," Rozier told reporters. "I got to knock down some shots in the beginning of the game, hit the open man, I'm always going to get in there and rebound. Just a great night." Irving averaged 32.5 points in two wins over Atlanta earlier this season but the Hawks have taken the last two meetings in Boston. To make it three straight they will have to tighten up their perimeter defense, as Charlotte Hornets All-Star Kemba Walker buried a career-high nine 3-pointers to sink Atlanta 123-110 on Wednesday.

TV: 7:30 p.m. ET, FS Southeast (Atlanta), NBCS Boston

ABOUT THE HAWKS (15-36): Atlanta tried to keep pace with Walker behind Kent Bazemore (25 points, 3-of-5 from 3-point range) and Marco Belinelli (22, 4-of-7), but leading scorer Dennis Schroder struggled to 13 points - nearly seven below his average - and missed all five of his 3-point tries while wrestling with a sore shoulder. "I don't know how it happened," Schroder told the media. "I'm going to check it with the trainers and see what's going on." After Walker torched the Hawks from beyond the arc, they were ranked 29th in 3-point defense (38 percent).

ABOUT THE CELTICS (37-15): Marcus Morris provided 20 points, five rebounds and two steals in just 19 minutes off the bench against the Knicks but left in the second half after falling hard on a breakaway dunk. "It was my [behind]. It wasn't really my hip, so it's sore. Very sore," Morris said after the game. "I'll go home and ice, see how I feel tomorrow." Morris scored in double figures in nine straight games, one shy of matching the longest such run of his career.

BUZZER BEATERS

1. Irving is expected to be re-evaluated Thursday while fellow PG Marcus Smart (hand laceration) has missed four straight games.

2. Schroder scored 23 points in each of the first two meetings.

3. Both teams shoot 36.9 percent from long distance, tied for eighth in the NBA.

PREDICTION: Celtics 111, Hawks 98

Lakers vs. Nets Preview and Predictions

The Los Angeles Lakers made a recent run up the Western Conference standings largely due to significant improvement on the defensive end. That trend has been reversed with back-to-back ugly losses and the Lakers will try to rediscover their form on that end of the floor when they visit the Brooklyn Nets on Friday.

Los Angeles, which won eight of 10 before this week began, gave up an average of 125 points in setbacks at Toronto and Orlando, with both opponents shooting at least 50 percent from the floor. "We lost by 30 (actually 22) to the team that has the worst record in the league," rookie Kyle Kuzma told reporters after the 127-105 loss to the Magic. "That's kind of deflating, but give credit to them. They beat us." The Nets don't normally light up the scoreboard but they did manage 116 points in a win over Philadelphia on Wednesday to snap a four-game slide. Spencer Dinwiddie scored 27 points while making 13-of-15 free throws as Brooklyn posted its best scoring output since Dec. 23.

TV: 7:30 p.m. ET, Spectrum SportsNet (Los Angeles), YES (Brooklyn)

ABOUT THE LAKERS (19-31): After averaging 19.5 points in December, Kuzma dipped to 12.5 in January and finished it with a whimper, shooting 12-for-34 while averaging nine points in the first three games of the current road trip. Center Brook Lopez played a season-low nine minutes and returns to Brooklyn - where he starred for nine seasons - on a frustrating note, leaving without talking to reporters in Orlando. Lopez had his best game of the season in a matchup with the Nets at home in November, producing 34 points, 10 rebounds and three blocks.

ABOUT THE NETS (19-33): D'Angelo Russell, acquired in the deal that sent Lopez to Los Angeles, is working his way back from knee surgery and had his best effort since his return last month with 22 points in 17 minutes versus Philadelphia. "They got some talent over there and for us to get any win in this league is definitely a start, so hopefully we can capitalize on it and keep building," Russell told reporters. Rookie center Jarrett Allen is beginning to make his presence felt and is averaging 12.4 points and 7.6 rebounds while shooting 83.3 percent over his last five games, including back-to-back starts in which he made 11-of-12 shots.

BUZZER BEATERS

1. Lakers PG Lonzo Ball (knee) missed eight straight games but is reportedly nearing a return.

2. Brooklyn SF Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and SG Caris LeVert have both missed three games in a row due to groin injuries.

3. SG Allen Crabbe led the Nets with 25 points in the 124-112 loss at Los Angeles earlier this season.

PREDICTION: Nets 112, Lakers 109

Trail Blazers vs. Raptors Preview and Predictions

CJ McCollum has quite a performance to follow when the Portland Trail Blazers visit the Toronto Raptors on Friday. McCollum scored a career-best 50 points in Wednesday's 124-108 victory over Chicago, with his assault beginning with a franchise-record 28-point first quarter.

The Trail Blazers have won a season-best four straight games, and the latest victory was highlighted by McCollum's scoring spree - which he accomplished in just three quarters of action. "A lot of elite players score 50 points, it shows that you're a really unique scorer and have a lot of abilities," McCollum told reporters. "And to do it in three quarters is just a credit to our staff for helping develop me, hard work, teammates sharing, setting screens, sacrificing a lot of stuff." The Trail Blazers have won seven of their last eight games as they prepare to face the Raptors, who are opening a four-game homestand after suffering a 122-119 loss at Washington on Thursday. "I thought we were playing a little bit too loose and not moving the ball," Toronto coach Dwane Casey told reporters. "We got good shots, but we didn't get great shots."

TV: 7:30 p.m. ET, NBCS Northwest (Portland), Sportsnet One (Toronto)

ABOUT THE TRAIL BLAZERS (29-22): McCollum is the seventh different Portland player to record a 50-point effort, with franchise icon Clyde Drexler and star point guard Damian Lillard being among the others. "I recognized that feeling," Lillard told reporters of McCollum's stellar show. "I saw the rhythm that he was playing with, and at that point, it was just my job to make sure he got the ball in his hands as many times as possible. He just kept rolling." Lillard scored just 13 points against Chicago after topping 20 in each of his previous 10 games - a stretch during which he averaged 27.4.

ABOUT THE RAPTORS (34-16): All-Star shooting guard DeMar DeRozan, who was named Eastern Conference Player of the Month for January, opened the new month by registering 23 points and six assists in the loss to the Wizards. DeRozan typically has fared well versus the Trail Blazers as he has recorded a string of 11 consecutive 20-point performances and averaged 35.5 points in his last two home appearances against them. Kyle Lowry erupted for 29 points on 10-of-19 shooting against Washington after averaging 10.8 on 14-of-46 shooting over his previous four games.

BUZZER BEATERS

1. The Raptors have won the last five meetings, including a 99-85 victory at Portland on Oct. 30 in which DeRozan scored 25 points.

2. Trail Blazers C Jusuf Nurkic (quadriceps) is probable after departing Wednesday's victory.

3. Toronto swingman CJ Miles (knee) is expected to miss his third straight game.

PREDICTION: Raptors 123, Trail Blazers 119

Heat vs. 76ers Preview and Predictions

Philadelphia fans are concerning themselves with the Eagles heading to the Super Bowl right now, allowing the 76ers to go through a recent slump without much notice. The 76ers will try to pull out of the slide before drawing much more attention and snap a three-game losing streak when they host the Miami Heat on Friday.

Philadelphia worked its way into sixth in the Eastern Conference during a stretch that included wins over Toronto, Boston, Milwaukee and San Antonio, but it dropped the final three of a four-game road trip to fall back to .500 and into the No. 8 spot in the conference. "That's the kind of win we've got to get if we want to be a playoff team," All-Star center Joel Embiid told reporters after a 116-108 loss at Brooklyn ended the trip. "If we're going to lose these types of games, we don't deserve to go to the playoffs." The Heat are trying to emerge from their own funk after dropping five of the last nine games, capped by a 91-89 loss at Cleveland on Wednesday that marked the fifth straight game in which the team failed to score more than 95 points. "We have to develop new layers to our offense and evolve because people are aware of us now and that comes with competition and playing well," Miami coach Erik Spoelstra told reporters. "So, we have to embrace that challenge as well."

TV: 8 p.m. ET, ESPN, FS Sun (Miami), NBCS Philadelphia

ABOUT THE HEAT (29-22): Miami point guard Goran Dragic, who was named as an All-Star replacement on Wednesday, is proud of the way the team played defense on Wednesday but recognizes the problems on the other end. "The opponents are preparing against us and they're scouting us," Dragic told the Miami Herald. "So, it's a little bit tougher on us. But at the same time, that game was winnable for us (in Cleveland). At the end of the day, we had 20 turnovers, missed 11 free throws and we went 3-for-28 from the 3-point line. We didn't have a good offensive game, but we're really satisfied how we play our defense. As long as we continue to play defense like that, we're going to win a lot of games." Dragic scored a team-high 18 points on Wednesday after combining for 18 points on 8-of-22 shooting in the previous two contests.

ABOUT THE 76ERS (24-24): One positive from Wednesday's loss was the return of shooting guard JJ Redick, who scored 20 points in 26 minutes after sitting out seven straight games with a leg injury. "He's going to be a huge help," rookie point guard Ben Simmons told reporters of Redick. "You can't leave him. If you leave him, and I'm going to hit him, and he's going to knock it down, usually." Simmons scored 24 points on 11-of-16 shooting in the setback and is 38-of-51 from the floor over the last four contests.

BUZZER BEATERS

1. Embiid recorded a double-double in each of his last three starts.

2. Miami SG Wayne Ellington, who averages 11.2 points, went scoreless on 0-of-4 shooting in 26 minutes Wednesday.

3. The home team took the last five in the series.

PREDICTION: 76ers 103, Heat 98

Knicks vs. Bucks Preview and Predictions

Jabari Parker takes the court for the first time in nearly 12 months when the Milwaukee Bucks host the New York Knicks on Friday. Parker has been recovering from a torn ACL in his left knee and will be looking to help Milwaukee bounce back from Thursday's 108-89 loss to Minnesota.

Parker was informed that he will play about 15 minutes in his return and the club certainly will monitor him closely due to two ACL tears in the same knee in a 26-month span. Parker, the second overall pick in the 2014 draft, posted career-best averages of 20.1 points and 6.2 rebounds in 51 games last season prior to his latest misfortune. "I'm grateful for how far I came," he told reporters. "I'm grateful for the people who laid the foundation for me, especially the man above. From this point on, it's just not being complacent, not being satisfied and just keep on trying to be as good as I can be." The Knicks are coming off a horrific 103-73 loss to Boston on Wednesday - their largest margin of defeat this season.

TV: 8 p.m. ET, MSG (New York), FS Wisconsin (Milwaukee)

ABOUT THE KNICKS (23-29): New York is attempting to remain in the playoff race, but the woeful effort against Boston that included an eight-point fourth quarter in a contest in which Boston was missing star guard Kyrie Irving was disconcerting. The Knicks shot just 32.2 percent in the setback, and the point total was their smallest of the season. "There's going to be nights that you're not going to be good offensively, but I think for us to get to the next level, for us to be an elite team, just go out there and play defense," center Enes Kanter told reporters. "We cannot just say, 'Oh, we're not shooting the ball well,' and just give up on defense."

ABOUT THE BUCKS (27-23): Milwaukee had its four-game winning streak halted on Thursday and also lost shooting guard Malcolm Brogdon to a quadriceps tendon strain. Brogdon, last season's NBA Rookie of the Year, suffered the injury during a non-contact sequence while attempting a layup and left the arena in a cast while walking on crutches. All-Star small forward Giannis Antetokounmpo, who recorded 17 points and 15 rebounds against Minnesota, twisted his left ankle in the fourth quarter and is slated to be examined on Friday.

BUZZER BEATERS

1. Antetokounmpo averaged 28 points and 10.3 rebounds as the Bucks went 2-1 against the Knicks last season.

2. Milwaukee PG Eric Bledsoe (ankle) sat out against the Timberwolves and is doubtful for Friday's game.

3. New York G Ron Baker is sidelined indefinitely due to a torn labrum and dislocated shoulder.

PREDICTION: Bucks 108, Knicks 99

Jazz vs. Suns Preview and Predictions

The Utah Jazz are suddenly looking like playoff contenders again with a three-game winning streak capped by a 30-point blowout of the defending champions. The Jazz will try to keep up the momentum when they hit the road and open a four-game road trip by visiting the Phoenix Suns on Friday.

Utah buried the Golden State Warriors 129-99 on Wednesday but quickly tried to turn the page as they prepare for a trip that will take them through San Antonio, New Orleans and Memphis after leaving Phoenix. "You want to move on from it in the sense that there's some sense of accomplishment: It's over," Jazz coach Quin Snyder told reporters. "But how you got the win, and how you played and what you're doing -- we need to understand the things that we did that we want to do again. It becomes a question of repeating it. The more you do it, the more it becomes who you are. Games like that can give you some confidence." Utah will take on a Suns team that opened its three-game homestand with a 102-88 win over the Dallas Mavericks on Wednesday. That marked second time this season that Phoenix held an opponent under 90 points, with the first coming in a 97-88 home win over the Jazz on Oct. 25.

TV: 9 p.m. ET, AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain (Utah), FS Arizona (Phoenix)

ABOUT THE JAZZ (22-28): Utah shot 58.2 percent from the floor against the Warriors and watched small forward Joe Ingles knock down 6-of-8 from 3-point range. "We had a great shooting night -- they didn't have the kind of night they can have," Snyder told reporters. "Shooting is an equalizer. I thought we came out and Joe Ingles set the tone. The confidence with which he shot the ball, I thought that helped our other guys shoot the ball." Ingles is 24-of-43 from 3-point range over the last seven games -- a stretch during which the Jazz are 5-2.

ABOUT THE SUNS (18-34): Phoenix snapped a five-game slide with Wednesday's win but lost point guard Isaiah Canaan to a fractured left ankle. Canaan went down in a collision with Mavericks shooting guard Wesley Matthews and fell on the ankle, causing it to break and turn in the opposite direction in a gruesome scene. "It's hard for fans and everyone sitting right there and teammates especially, a guy they battle with every day, it's their friend on and off the court," Suns interim coach Jay Triano told reporters. "I used the timeout to let us say a quick prayer. ... Not much we can do. He was in the hands of our medical staff and we trust they do their job and we had to keep doing ours."

BUZZER BEATERS

1. Jazz SG Donovan Mitchell earned his second straight Western Conference Rookie of the Month award after averaging 22.2 points in January.

2. Suns rookie SF Josh Jackson matched his season high with 21 points on Wednesday.

3. Phoenix's 97-88 win over Utah on Oct. 25 snapped a seven-game losing streak in the series.

PREDICTION: Jazz 113, Suns 102

Pelicans vs. Thunder Preview and Predictions

The Oklahoma City Thunder have dropped consecutive games following a season-high eight-game winning streak. The Thunder look to start a new run in Friday's home game, one night after suffering a last-second 127-124 road loss to the Denver Nuggets.

A defensive breakdown led to Denver's Gary Harris sinking the game-winning 3-pointer in a contest that saw Oklahoma City All-Stars Paul George (season-high 43 points) and Russell Westbrook (20 points, season-best 21 assists) have big offensive performances. Westbrook lost track of Harris on the decisive play and then shoved a taunting fan who came on the court - "they can't come on the floor, that's totally unacceptable," Westbrook told reporters. The Pelicans have lost both games since All-Star center DeMarcus Cousins suffered a season-ending Achilles injury and now have a tough road back-to-back with the Thunder and Minnesota Timberwolves on Saturday. New Orleans made a move Thursday by acquiring forward Nikola Mirotic from the Chicago Bulls for center Omer Asik and guards Tony Allen and Jameer Nelson as well as a 2018 first-round draft pick.

TV: 9 p.m. ET, FS New Orleans, FS Oklahoma

ABOUT THE PELICANS (27-23): Mirotic requested a trade earlier this season after being punched in the face by teammate Bobby Portis and missing the first 23 games, and he finally got his wish granted. The 26-year-old has played well since his return with career-best averages of 16.8 points and 6.4 rebounds and had his $12.5 million option for next season picked up by New Orleans as a condition of the deal. I'm really happy about it," Mirotic told reporters after the trade, "and I just want to keep enjoying this moment because this is the best moment I've felt in the NBA and it's kind of really fun for me."

ABOUT THE THUNDER (30-22): George was 19-of-26 from the field against the Nuggets and his fifth 3-pointer of the contest tied the score with 1.4 seconds left. He is meshing well with Westbrook and is averaging 30 points over the past seven games, topping 25 six times during the stretch. Westbrook's 20-20 outing was his second in the past seven games and he is averaging 28.9 points during the stretch, including a season-high 46 points against the Washington Wizards on Jan. 25.

BUZZER BEATERS

1. The Thunder have won four consecutive home meetings with the Pelicans.

2. New Orleans All-Star PF Anthony Davis had 36 points and 15 rebounds in a 114-107 victory over Oklahoma City on Nov. 20.

3. Slumping Oklahoma City F Carmelo Anthony is averaging 14.8 points on 37 percent shooting over the past six games.

PREDICTION: Thunder 116, Pelicans 111

Warriors vs. Kings Preview and Predictions

The Golden State Warriors lay an egg every once in a while on the road, and Tuesday was one of those times when the defending champs fell flat on their faces. The Warriors will try to move past a 30-point loss to a sub-.500 team when they visit the Sacramento Kings on Friday.

Golden State allowed the Utah Jazz to shoot 58.2 percent from the floor and went 5-of-25 from 3-point range on the other end in a 129-99 loss. "I think our guys will tell you that was a pathetic effort out there," Warriors coach Steve Kerr told reporters. "That was disgusting basketball. We just didn't start out the game with any force defensively. We weren't staying into bodies, they were just stopping behind screens, we were lazy on our switches. We played with no sense of urgency, no sense of purpose, and they're obviously fighting for the playoffs." Golden State has yet to drop consecutive games this season but will be going up a Kings squad that won three of its last four to close out a solid road trip. The Kings finished up the six-game trip with a 114-103 win at New Orleans on Tuesday and are getting strong play from a pair of veterans who were being pushed to the side.

TV: 10:30 p.m. ET, ESPN, NBCS Bay Area (Golden State), NBCS California (Sacramento)

ABOUT THE WARRIORS (40-11): All-Star Stephen Curry was named the Western Conference Player of the Month for January and then went out in the final game of the month at Utah and slumped to 4-of-13 from the floor, including 1-of-7 from beyond the arc. "I asked Draymond (Green) on the bench in the fourth quarter if he could remember that bad of a performance that we've had in recent memory, and we really can't," Curry told reporters. "You can't just show up, especially on the road, and expect to win. That's kind of cheating the game." Curry was coming off a performance against Boston on Saturday in which he exploded for 49 points and went 8-of-13 from beyond the arc.

ABOUT THE KINGS (16-34): Sacramento made the decision last month to give its veterans days off in order to open more playing time for younger players, but injuries to some of those young players in the frontcourt are keeping Zach Randolph and Kosta Koufos on the floor. Randolph led the way with 26 points in Tuesday's win at New Orleans while Koufos collected 17 points and a career-high 17 rebounds. "We've all shown we can play in this league for a long time," Koufos told the Sacramento Bee. "For us though, right now when we get an opportunity, we're playing hard and I give credit to all the vets. They're being very professional with the situation. And the young guys, they're getting healthy and working hard so it's our responsibility, whenever we get time, help the team win."

BUZZER BEATERS

1. Warriors SF Kevon Looney (illness) sat out Tuesday and is day-to-day.

2. Kings F Skal Labissiere (shoulder) will miss the next two weeks while C Willie Cauley-Stein (knee) could return from a two-game absence on Friday.

3. Sacramento earned a 110-106 win at Golden State on Nov. 27.

PREDICTION: Warriors 125, Kings 103

Capitals vs. Penguins Preview and Predictions

The Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins have picked up speed in their respective bids to distance themselves from the rest of the teams in the congested Metropolitan Division. The first-place Capitals carry an 8-2-2 mark in their last 12 contests into Friday's tilt versus the Penguins, who have won eight of their last 10 and are attempting to complete a perfect four-game homestand.

Chandler Stephenson doubled his season total in goals after scoring twice in a 47-second span and T.J. Oshie ended a 13-game goal drought on Wednesday as Washington overcame an early two-goal deficit to post a 5-3 victory over Philadelphia. "It's been a while," said the 31-year-old Oshie, who also joined Stephenson in finding the back of the net in the Capitals' 4-1 victory over Pittsburgh on Nov. 10. Sidney Crosby could echo a similar thought on a much smaller scale, as the Penguins' superstar captain has failed in his quest to net his 400th career goal in each of his last six contests. Crosby, however, had an assist in Tuesday's 5-2 win over San Jose to extend his point streak to 10 games (three goals, 17 assists) while fellow former Hart Trophy recipient Evgeni Malkin was named NHL First Star of the Month for January after upping his point total to 23 (14 goals, nine assists) in his past 15 games.

TV: 7 p.m. ET, Sportsnet, TVAS, NBCS Washington, AT&T Sportsnet-Pittsburgh

ABOUT THE CAPITALS (30-15-5): Defenseman John Carlson and Lars Eller each notched two assists versus the Flyers, increasing the former's point total to 13 (four goals, nine assists) in his past 12 games while the latter has eight points (five goals, three assists) in his past nine. Carlson resides at the 40-point plateau for the second time in his career and likely is driving up his asking price as he skates toward unrestricted free agency. The 28-year-old scored and set up a goal in the more recent meeting with Pittsburgh and notched three assists in as many encounters versus the club last season.

ABOUT THE PENGUINS (28-21-3): Conor Sheary's time on the top line has hit a snag as the 25-year-old is now considered week-to-week after sustaining a lower-body injury against the Sharks. "Conor is a really good player, he's not an easy guy to replace," coach Mike Sullivan said following Thursday's practice. "... But certainly we have capable people. We have capable guys that we can plug in that give us an opportunity to continue to win games." Bryan Rust is one such possibility as the 25-year-old has five points (two goals, three assists) in his past four contests, albeit with an 11-game absence due to an upper-body injury included in that stretch.

OVERTIME

1. Washington has allowed the first goal in eight straight games.

2. Pittsburgh F Carter Rowney returned to practice on Thursday after missing the last 11 contests with an upper-body injury.

3. The Capitals are 6-for-15 on the power play in the last four outings after going 1-for-14 in the previous four.

PREDICTION: Capitals 4, Penguins 3

Sharks vs. Blue Jackets Preview and Predictions

The San Jose Sharks have not won since veteran center Joe Thornton suffered a serious knee injury, a streak they hope to end when they visit the Columbus Blue Jackets on Friday night. It's the third stop of a five-game road trip for San Jose, which has lost a season-high four in a row after dropping a back-to-back at Pittsburgh and Detroit.

Thornton was hurt in an overtime loss to Winnipeg on Jan. 23 and the Sharks have dropped the next three without him, tightening up the race for second place in the Pacific Division. "We've played three games without (Thornton) and we've lost all three and gotten one point. That has to stop now," San Jose forward Logan Couture said. "He's a great player but we've got to find a way to start winning hockey games without him." Columbus is also coming off a shootout defeat -- 3-2 at home to Minnesota -- and has failed to score more than two goals in regulation for the 10th time in the last 11 games. "A big part of winning in the league is the will," coach John Tortorella said after Wednesday's practice. "That's been very inconsistent in our game. And I know it's there. I've seen it there. We just need to get back to it consistently."

ABOUT THE SHARKS (26-16-8): Goaltender Martin Jones was among the players who said they have to "step up" in Thornton's absence, and he did his part by making a season-high 43 saves against Detroit. Jones has struggled through an erratic, injury-plagued campaign, but coach Peter DeBoer said he has no concerns about him entering the stretch run. "I don't even think that's a question," DeBoer said. "I think he's going to do that. I think we're going to get great goaltending the whole second half here."

ABOUT THE BLUE JACKETS (27-19-4): Columbus still has the league's worst power play at 14.1 percent, although there has been an uptick in production with six goals in 19 chances over the past eight games. "That was a big part of our game last year," Blue Jackets defenseman Seth Jones said at Thursday's practice. "Our power play won us a lot of games last year, and we need to get to that (level)." Artemi Panarin, who scored in regulation and the shootout Tuesday, has five points in five games versus San Jose.

OVERTIME

1. Blue Jackets G Sergei Bobrovsky is 5-4-2 with a 2.53 goals-against average versus San Jose.

2. Sharks D Brent Burns had his seven-game point streak stopped in Detroit despite a season-high nine shots on goal.

3. Blue Jackets F Boone Jenner has been hold off the scoresheet in 11 straight games.

PREDICTION: Sharks 3, Blue Jackets 2

Red Wings vs. Hurricanes Preview and Predictions

The Carolina Hurricanes have won three straight games to move into a virtual tie for the second wild-card spot in the Eastern Conference and hope to keep climbing when they host the Detroit Red Wings on Friday. The Hurricanes have allowed a total of one goal in their last two wins, including Thursday's 2-0 triumph over Montreal in the second contest of their eight-game homestand.

Brock McGinn and defenseman Brett Pesce scored in the latest victory for the Hurricanes, who have not reached the playoffs since losing to Pittsburgh in the 2009 conference finals. The Red Wings are trying to stay afloat in the playoff race, earning points in three of their last four games (2-1-1) after losing four of the previous five. Detroit, which starts a stretch during which it plays six of eight on the road, received another strong performance from Petr Mrazek on Wednesday and registered a season-high 44 shots in a 2-1 shootout victory over visiting San Jose. "I told the team that was a glaring area that had to get better," Red Wings coach Jeff Blashill told reporters. "I think (we were) ranked 30th or something in shots per game. You don't need to be first or second in that stat, but you can't be 30th."

TV: 7 p.m. ET, FS Detroit, FS Carolinas

ABOUT THE RED WINGS (20-21-8): Mrazek, who has sat behind Jimmy Howard most of the season, has allowed a total of five goals in his last five games (3-1-1) and is expected to get another start on Friday. "I just think (Mrazek) feels confident right now," Blashill told reporters. "When he is at his best, when he's confident like that, he is a really, really good goalie." Defenseman Trevor Daley scored the only goal in Wednesday's victory, his second in three games, while leading scorer Dylan Larkin (38 points) has been kept off the scoresheet in three straight contests and Gustav Nyquist (23) is pointless in his last six.

ABOUT THE HURRICANES (24-19-8): Veteran Justin Williams notched an assist Thursday, giving him six points in his last six games as he ranks third on the team with 33. Teuvo Teravainen (40 points) and fellow Finn Sebastian Aho (38), who has scored four of his team-leading 17 goals in the last six contests, also have been major contributors for Carolina - which is 11-for-35 on the power play over its last 11 games. Cam Ward (15-6-2) has played each of the last two contests for the Hurricanes, who could give Scott Darling (9-13-6, .892 save percentage) his first start since he allowed three goals on eight shots against Vegas on Jan. 21.

OVERTIME

1. The Hurricanes posted a 3-1 victory on Jan. 20 in Detroit as Elias Lindholm recorded a pair of goals.

2. Detroit captain Henrik Zetterberg, who has notched one point in his last six games, is one power-play goal shy of 100 for his career.

3. Carolina C Victor Rask has registered a goal and three assists - including one on Thursday - while posting a plus-4 rating over his last three games.

PREDICTION: Hurricanes 3, Red Wings 2