Goodfella

2* Misisipi -145

Service Play Moderator Can'tPickAWinner's Avatar
    Derek Hayes

CBB
    $200 Providence +15.5

Oskeim Sports 2* CBB Kent St +3.5

Platinum Club's Pinnacle Syndicate Investment

Rotation #524: Texas Tech (-10/-10.5) (-110)

Note: The Platinum Club's Pinnacle Syndicate made a significant money move on the Texas Tech Red Raiders minus the points. This NCAA Basketball game starts at 7 p.m. eastern time.

Rating: 1/4 unit

Betting Resource

Jan 23: WTA Tennis: Kerber - Keys
    Back: Keys win Odds: 2.35
    Risk: 10 Units Return:

Jan 24: WTA Tennis: Mertens - Wozniacki
    Back: Mertens win Odds: 3.00
    Risk: 10 Units Return:

Dr. Bob - NBA
    **SAN ANTONIO (+2 ½) over Cleveland

Rotation #504 – 5:05 pm Pacific

I’m guilty, just like most of you, of thinking that Cleveland was eventually going to right the ship and start playing better. Cleveland has obviously been overrated all season, as they are just 12-32-1 ATS, but I’ve only gone against the Cavs 4 times all season despite my ratings being against them pretty much every game since Tristan Thompson returned from injury. As I’m mentioned before, Thompson is not the defensive force that he used to be and his offense is a negative too, given the quality of offensive players he’s taking minutes from. Cleveland has been outscored by 77 points in Thompson’s 477 minutes this season (-7.7 points per 48 minutes) and he clogs the lane, which makes it tougher for LeBron James to find room to get to the rim, which helps explain James’ -96 plus-minus in just 283.7 minutes when he’s playing with Thompson. Adding in Isaiah Thomas has made Cleveland worse, as his ball-hogging doesn’t sit well with teammates and it takes the ball out of LeBron’s hands. Not only is the offense a bit worse with Thomas playing the he’s a horrible defensive player and the Cavs have allowed an atrocious 124.9 points per 48 minutes in which Thomas has been on the court. Thomas already has a plus-minus of -60 points in just 171.4 minutes (-16.8 points per 48 minutes) and his variance-adjusted plus-minus per 48 minutes is -5.4 points, so he’s certainly a negative impact player.

Cleveland is still being priced like an elite team when they are mediocre for the season and a below average team with their current rotation. In fact, LeBron James has a season plus-minus of -19 points, so the Cavs aren’t even better than average with LeBron is on the court and they’re certainly worse than average with Thompson back in the rotation and Thomas being added – not to mention Derrick Rose now getting minutes again (he has a PM of -5.7 points per 48 minutes). Cleveland is just 10-15 straight up and 3-22 ATS in the 25 games that Tristan Thompson has played and they’re riding an 8 game spread losing streak heading into this game.

I realize that Kawhi Leonard is back on the injury list and that Pau Gasol, Manu Ginboli and Rudy Gay are all out too but the Spurs have a long history of playing well when starters are out and Leonard’s +17 plus-minus (+3.9 per 48 minutes) is not that significant. Gasol has a PM per 48 minutes of +2.6 points, the same as Ginobili, but all of the Spurs key players (the top 11 in minutes played this season) all have a plus-minus per 48 minutes of between +2.3 and +5.9 and three of the top 4 in that category will play tonight (Murray +5.9, Aldridge +4.4, and Anderson +4.2). I do rate San Antonio as a couple of points worse without their missing players tonight but the Spurs are still an average team with the players that will play tonight and Cleveland would have to be 5 points better than an average team to justify being favored by 2 ½ points. Cleveland is closer to 5 points worse than average, given that their average game rating in the 25 games that Thompson has played is -5.8 points. The variance-adjusted rating of those games with Thompson is -2.4 points and the Cavs are worse than that with Thomas and Rose in the rotation. San Antonio should certainly be favored in this game and I’m going to stop waiting for Cleveland to suddenly turn on the switch and start to take more advantage of how overrated they are. Even when Cleveland tries their hardest to play defense they still don’t cover the spread. Recent examples of that include that 2 point loss to the Pacers after they had built a 22 point lead (right after being inspired by a pair of blowout losses) and in their 10 point home loss to the Warriors, when they gave it everything they had and still didn’t cover the spread. Cleveland simply isn’t a good team and I don’t think that’s going to change unless they change their roster. In the past when Cleveland had struggled LeBron James had always had a good plus-minus number and the Cavaliers were horrible when he was off the floor. In those cases, the depth was addressed and LeBron played more minutes in the playoffs and the Cavs found a way to win. This year is different because Cleveland actually has a better plus-minus when LeBron is sitting on the bench (+29 points margin) than when he is in the game (-19 points margin). I’ll take San Antonio in a 2-Star Best Bet at +1 or more.

VSI NBA

NBA BASKETBALL

3 Unit Play. Take #501 Sacramento +6.5 over Orlando (7:05p.m., Tuesday January 23)
    Two bad non-conference teams do battle tonight at the Amway Center in Orlando, Florida and I know the Magic have won 2 out 3 but I do believe this number is a bit off. The Kings played last night and lost Charlotte but covered the game and tonight I see the same out come in Orlando. Throw in that the Orlando Magic are 1-7 ATS against Western Conference opponents and the Kings are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 Eastern Conference games. The underdog in this series is also a perfect 6-0 ATS and with the Kings number moving up give me the underdog tonight in Orlando.

VSI NHL

NHL HOCKEY

4 Unit Play. Take #71 Under 5.5 -125 Los Angeles at Vancouver (10:05p.m., Tuesday January 23)
    Tonight at the Rogers Arena the LA Kings visit Canada and the Vancouver Canucks and tonight I see a low scoring game. The Kings got a much-needed victory in their last game beating the Rangers 4-2 but tonight this game is on the road and the Kings have had trouble scoring all month long. Vancouver comes back home dropping back-to-back road games and in those two games only scored 2-goals and tonight I see goalie play from both being key. The LA Kings have been trending UNDER games going 1-3 O/U in their last 4 games and wouldn't shock me to see a 2-1 victory from either team. Kings will have Jonathan Quick in the net (20-16-2, 2.34 GAA, SVPCT .924) and his last 3 starts 2 of them have gone UNDER. Canucks will have Jacob Markstron in the net (12-15-5, 2.76 GAA, .908 SVPCT) and his last start he gave up 4 goals and was pulled so tonight I see him having a better game at home.

SPS NBA

2-Unit Play. Take 'Over' 214.5 Sacramento at Orlando (7 p.m., Tuesday, Jan. 23)

Trying to grab a side in this game is tough as both teams struggle with different aspects of their game. One thing is for sure that both of these teams will be able to score. Don't be surprised at all to see one of these teams get to the 120s and the other team to be in the 110s. We do like Orlando to win this game but the six points is right on the money. Don't be fooled into taking a side here. The sharp play is on the total.

Best of Luck - Strike Point Sports

Vegas Killers

1/23/2018

Game: Cavaliers/Spurs

Pick: Cavaliers -1 (-110)

Recommended

Unit Play (Risk)

3.3 Units

Hackman

Flyers -125
    Avalanche 125

UNLV 5

Tuesday's College Basketball Plays

3-Unit Play. #557 Take Rider (-3) over Fairfield (7 p.m., Tuesday, January 23)

Rider already beat Fairfield by 19 at home in the first meeting earlier this month, and there isn't enough that has changed from a few weeks ago to avoid another similar outcome for these two. The Broncs have flourished in MAAC play at 6-2 and are putting up some strong offensive numbers at 81.3 points per game. Fairfield are on the opposite end of the spectrum, just 7-11 overall and 2-5 in league play, even allowing more points than scoring. Fairfield are 0-6 against the RPI Top 100, and Rider rank inside that number. Even though the Broncs won over the weekend, they are still coming off their worst offensive outing of the year, narrowly beating Marist and scoring just 60 points. That's another big reason to get on them here, firing with a much stronger effort and chasing another road victory. Rider has as many wins away from home as does Fairfield at home. The MAAC doesn't have an overwhelming home court edge with its team. There is value on the road, and this is one of those spots. Rider gets its second double digit win over Fairfield and sweep the season series in the process.

7-Unit Play. #548 Take Minnesota (-3) over Northwestern (9 p.m., Tuesday, January 23)

January has been a poor month for the Gophers. They were 13-3 prior to January 6's home game against IU, which started a slump which is now five of six losses. Included in that was a 23-point loss at Northwestern. Now they get an opportunity tonight to bounce back, not just against the Wildcats but moreover a simple conference victory to hopefully get them back on track. There are plenty of opportunities left in the conference schedule to right the ship and re-earn a solid seed to the NCAA Tournament. This may not be a marquee win on the resume, but it's argubaly more important to just get a strong win for some momentum into February. Northwestern is just 1-6 against the RPI Top 100, while Minnesota has been dominant at 12-2 against teams with RPI 100+ rankings this season. The Wildcats are 1-5 on the road this season are 10-3 at home. The Gophers are scoring 81.6 points per game at home while Northwestern are producing 20 less at 61.5 in road games. Despite their recent struggles, tonight represents a really great chance to early a win. They need it. Simple as that. More urgency and playing at home, Minnesota puts together a comprehensive win over Northwestern. Gophers get it done by 16.

Best of Luck - Strike Point Sports

Power Play Wins

Kansas +1

Gordon 24 - $500 Arkansas

NCAADNB

Virginia - Clemson : Over 117.5
    Bradley - Missouri State : Over 125.5

Ken Thomson