Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thursday 1-17-19 Free Plays / Trends / Betting Info / Etc

Service Play Moderator Can'tPickAWinner's Avatar

Thursday 1-17-19 Free Plays / Trends / Betting Info / Etc

New York Knicks vs. Washington Wizards Preview and Predictions 2019-01-17

NBA Predictions 16th January 2019 by Gracenote
    by Gracenote on 01/16/2019

The New York Knicks aren't having much luck generating wins on this side of the Atlantic Ocean and are hoping a trip across the pond can improve their fortunes. The Knicks will try to snap their latest slide at four straight when they face the Washington Wizards in London on Thursday.

New York is barely staying out of the basement in the Eastern Conference and lost 12 of its last 13 games but was encouraged by the effort in a 108-105 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers on Sunday. "Obviously I'm really proud of that effort," Knicks coach David Fizdale told reporters. "They didn't cave in. We've been taking some punches lately in some of our losses. But to not have Tim (Hardaway), to not have Enes (Kanter) and for these guys to go out and compete that way, I'm definitely proud of them." Washington heads to England playing well with wins over Philadelphia and Milwaukee and a 140-138 double-overtime loss to the Toronto Raptors over the last three games. "Disappointed that we didn't get the win but still proud of our guys the way they battled," Washington coach Scott Brooks told reporters after Sunday's loss to the Raptors. "If we keep playing like this, we're going to be in a lot of good games and in a good position to win these games in the end."

TV: 3 p.m. ET, NBATV, NBCS Washington, MSG (New York)

ABOUT THE WIZARDS (18-26): Washington was still in the game at the end against the Raptors thanks in large part to All-Star guard Bradley Beal, who recorded his second career triple-double with 43 points, 15 assists and 10 rebounds in the loss. "We needed every bit," Brooks told reporters. "I needed to play him extra minutes in that second half and then overtime, obviously, the extra 10. He competes. He puts us in the position to win. That's what your All-Stars are supposed to do." Beal is averaging 36.3 points on 52.6 percent shooting over the last three contests.

ABOUT THE KNICKS (10-33): New York's losing season is giving the young players on the roster a chance to shine and rookie forward Kevin Knox is taking advantage of the situation. Knox scored a season-high 31 points on 12-of-23 shooting in Sunday's setback and is averaging 16.2 points in January after posting a 17.1 average in December. "It feels pretty good," Knox told reporters. "I know it's my career high. But I have a lot of room to improve. I'm only 19, so I want to keep getting better and keep learning every single year."

BUZZER BEATERS

1. Hardaway (hamstring) sat out Sunday and is day-to-day.

2. Wizards SF Trevor Ariza is 10-of-22 from 3-point range over the last two games after missing all 15 of his attempts over the previous three contests.

3. Washington took the first two meetings this season by a total of 16 points.

PREDICTION: Wizards 122, Knicks 110

Philadelphia 76ers vs. Indiana Pacers Preview and Predictions 2019-01-17

76ers vs. Pacers Preview and Predictions

The Indiana Pacers and the Philadelphia 76ers both showed off how good they can be when everything comes together with blowout wins on Tuesday. The two Eastern Conference contenders will see if either can match that effort when the Pacers host the 76ers on Thursday.

Indiana sits in third place in the East, one game ahead of Philadelphia, and earned its ninth win in 11 games by bludgeoning the Phoenix Suns in a 131-97 home victory on Tuesday. "In an 82-game season, you're probably not going to play perfect at the defensive end," Pacers point guard Darren Collison told reporters. "We did have our lapses, but we were able to get (going) today, have a good start defensively and make something happen at the offensive end. When we play good defense like that, we pretty much get what we want on offense." The 76ers were just as impressive while blowing out the Minnesota Timberwolves 141-107 and were quick to credit their defense as well. "I thought we came out with energy," Philadelphia coach Brett Brown told reporters. "I thought we had a tremendous spirit, I thought we played defense, and we used that base to run."

TV: 7 p.m. ET, TNT, NBCS Philadelphia

ABOUT THE 76ERS (29-16): Philadelphia shot 59.8 percent from the floor against Minnesota and handed out 40 assists on 55 made field goals. "We used our defense as a launching pad and did some good things there," Brown told reporters. "But we really shared the ball. It was a perfect (situation) for us to be able to get a little bit more back on track. Some fist-bumps and high-fives, and 40 assists in a big number." The 76ers also set a franchise record with 21 made 3-pointers as Wilson Chandler (4-of-6), Joel Embiid (4-of-6), Jonah Bolden (4-of-5) and Jimmy Butler (3-of-4) all got hot from beyond the arc.

ABOUT THE PACERS (29-14): Indiana's defensive effort on Tuesday was led by center Myles Turner, who returned from a four-game absence due to a shoulder injury and delivered 18 points and six rebounds while a pair of blocks pushed his NBA-leading total to 105. "He's the best shot blocker in the league," Collison told reporters of Turner. "Consciously, as the opposing guard, you're always worried about where he's at on the court. Myles has been there for us all season long." The Pacers' seven players in double figures on Tuesday did not include All-Star guard Victor Oladipo, who managed eight points on 2-of-11 shooting.

BUZZER BEATERS

1. Pacers SG Bojan Bogdanovic is 6-of-10 from 3-point range over the last two games and is shooting 45 percent from beyond the arc on the season.

2. 76ers PG Ben Simmons is averaging 21 points, 14.3 rebounds and 11 assists over the last three games.

3. The road team took the last three in the series, with Philadelphia earning a 100-94 win in its last trip to Indiana on Nov. 7.

PREDICTION: Pacers 119, 76ers 106

Sacramento Kings vs. Charlotte Hornets Preview and Predictions 2019-01-17

Kings vs. Hornets Preview and Predictions

The Charlotte Hornets finished off a 2-4 road trip with a win at the San Antonio Spurs on an emotional night for reserve point guard Tony Parker. The Hornets will try to find similar success at home when they host the Sacramento Kings on Thursday.

Parker, who spent the first 17 seasons of his career with the Spurs before signing with Charlotte as a free agent last summer, contributed eight points, four assists and three rebounds in 19 minutes in Monday's 108-93 win. "Draining mentally, emotionally, it was just an awesome night," Parker told reporters after the Hornets' 108-93 triumph. "Just want to thank the fans. The way they reacted tonight was just unbelievable. Love, and I appreciate everything. It was just a great memory and a great night for me that I will cherish for the rest of my life." The Kings already have the formula to beat the Hornets after claiming a 104-97 home victory on Saturday. Sacramento followed that up with a 115-107 home triumph over the Portland Trail Blazers on Monday but is hitting the road on Thursday for the beginning of a six-game strip while owning a 9-11 record away from home.

TV: 7 p.m. ET, NBCS California (Sacramento), FS Southeast (Charlotte)

ABOUT THE KINGS (23-21): Sacramento showed off the depth of its young team with six players scoring in double figures and none scoring more than Buddy Hield's 19 points in Monday's triumph. The Kings are looking for consistent production out of power forward Marvin Bagley III, who collected a total of 24 points and 20 rebounds over the last two games as he works his way back into shape following nearly three weeks out with a knee injury. Point guard De'Aaron overcame a rough shooting night by handing out nine assists against the Trail Blazers and is averaging 17.9 points and 7.3 assists in his second season.

ABOUT THE HORNETS (20-23): Charlotte coach James Borrego, who was making his own homecoming after serving as a member of San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich's staff, was pleased that his team managed to find a way to end the road trip on a high note. "It was a tough road trip, we knew that," Borrego told reporters. "We had some good moments and some tough games against some very good teams. I'm proud of our guys. This is a good team right here and they stuck with it. This is a tough game right here - not only the opponent but the last game before you go home. Guys can start thinking about going home and get lost in the moment, but they stuck with it. I was proud of their effort tonight." Star guard Kemba Walker scored 33 points on Monday after pouring in 31 in the loss at Sacramento.

BUZZER BEATERS

1. Hield is shooting 44.4 percent from long range on the season and is 7-of-14 over the last two contests.

2. The Hornets are 6-15 on the road but own a 14-8 record at home.

3. Sacramento's last win at Charlotte was a 109-106 decision on Jan. 28, 2017.

PREDICTION: Kings 129, Hornets 113

Phoenix Suns vs. Toronto Raptors Preview and Predictions 2019-01-17

NBA Predictions 17th January 2019 by Gracenote
    by Gracenote on 01/17/2019

The Toronto Raptors came up short on the road on the front end of a back-to-back set and hope to avoid a letdown when they host the lowly Phoenix Suns on Thursday. The Raptors held a late four-point lead on Wednesday before Eastern Conference-rival Boston closed with a 17-4 surge to post a 117-108 home win.

The late-game drought helped end a five-game winning streak for the Raptors, who were just 7-for-29 from 3-point range during the setback. Toronto also fell out of first place in the East as Milwaukee moved ahead with its win over Memphis. The Suns have lost eight of their last 10 games and fell to 4-17 on the road when they were walloped 131-97 by Indiana on Tuesday in the opener of their four-game road trip. Shooting guard Devin Booker (back spasms) returned from a three-game absence but scored only eight points in 27 minutes.

TV: 7:30 p.m. ET, FS Arizona (Phoenix), Sportsnet One (Toronto)

ABOUT THE SUNS (11-34): Phoenix all but rolled over from the outset against the Pacers as it was outscored 38-19 in the opening quarter en route to its 11th loss by 20 or more points this season. "We didn't show up," coach Igor Kokoskov told reporters after the contest. "We were down the entire game. In the second quarter, we played the way we were supposed to, but there is not much we can take from this game." Backup small forward Kelly Oubre Jr. has put together four consecutive solid performances, averaging 20.5 points during the stretch.

ABOUT THE RAPTORS (33-13): Forward Kawhi Leonard scored 33 points against Boston and has recorded 20 straight 20-point efforts, three shy of the franchise mark Vince Carter twice accomplished. Leonard was 10-for-19 from the field against the Celtics but was scoreless down the stretch as Toronto struggled to get him the ball. "Giving 'Whi' some help," point guard Kyle Lowry told reporters about what the team needs to do better late in games. "A lot of things we've done is give Kawhi the ball and get out the way. He's that talented of a player, but we gotta help him."

BUZZER BEATERS

1. The Raptors have defeated the Suns three straight times, including a 107-98 road victory on Nov. 2.

2. Lowry is averaging just 8.7 points on 8-of-28 shooting over his last three contests.

3. Phoenix backup SG Jamal Crawford (knee) is questionable after missing the last three games.

PREDICTION: Raptors 117, Suns 104

Chicago Bulls vs. Denver Nuggets Preview and Predictions 2019-01-17

The Denver Nuggets look to bounce back from a thorough whipping when they host the struggling Chicago Bulls on Thursday. The Golden State Warriors set a record with 51 first-quarter points en route to steamrolling the host Nuggets 142-111 on Tuesday.

The 31-point loss to the Warriors knocked Denver out of first place in the Western Conference, ended a 12-game home winning streak and it also stunned coach Michael Malone. "I'm disappointed in the fact that we gave up 51 points in a quarter," Malone told reporters afterward. "That's mindboggling. I can't wrap my head around that number." Things could improve quickly against a Bulls' squad that has lost its last eight games and also has dropped six straight games in Denver. Chicago is 0-4 on a five-game road trip and the defeats include being lambasted 146-109 by the Warriors last Friday.

TV: 9 p.m. ET, NBCS Chicago-Plus, Altitude (Denver)

ABOUT THE BULLS (10-34): Forward Jabari Parker is back in the rotation after a stretch in which he saw action in just one of 13 games and he has put together back-to-back double-figure performances. Parker was especially solid with 18 points on 7-of-10 shooting against the Lakers in 17 minutes and insisted he can be the same player he was before undergoing two ACL surgeries on his left knee. "I know who I am and confidence has never been a problem for me," the 23-year-old Parker told reporters. "Just want to continue to do what I know I am capable of. Just have to remind myself that I am still fortunate. I am not hurt and I am still able to get on the court. That kind of perspective goes a long way for where I've been in my life."

ABOUT THE NUGGETS (29-14): Malone insisted there would be some discussion about the Golden State contest as he isn't a fan of blindly moving on and forgetting about what happened. "I don't believe in flushing games when you get your (bleep) kicked," Malone told reporters. "Take this failure, learn from it and use it moving forward. If you can do that, this negative becomes a positive in the long run." Standout center Nikola Jokic had 17 points and eight assists against the Warriors and described the outcome this way: "We're not a bad team. The game just happened."

BUZZER BEATERS

1. The Nuggets have won the past six overall meetings versus the Bulls.

2. Denver SG Malik Beasley scored 22 points against Golden State and knocked down a career-best six 3-pointers.

3. Chicago PG Kris Dunn is just 8-of-27 shooting over the past three games.

PREDICTION: Nuggets 117, Bulls 97

Los Angeles Lakers vs. Oklahoma City Thunder Preview and Predictions 2019-01-17

Lakers vs. Thunder Preview and Predictions

The Los Angeles Lakers will be without LeBron James for the 12th consecutive game when they visit the Oklahoma City Thunder on Thursday. Los Angeles stands 4-7 since James strained his left groin during a Christmas Day victory over the Golden State Warriors.

The Lakers defeated the visiting Chicago Bulls 107-100 on Tuesday but forward Kyle Kuzma wonders if the club has missed out on some victories during James' absence. "Obviously, especially playing in the West, everything is so close," Kuzma told reporters. "So we're outside of the playoffs right now, but we could easily be fourth right now. So, you definitely look at it like that, but you got to just take it with a grain of salt and just bring it every single night." Oklahoma City is in a rut with four losses in its past five games and the Thunder were easily handled by the lowly Atlanta Hawks 142-126 on Tuesday. "These are the games that we have to be ready for, one of those games that we were supposed to roll and that didn't happen," standout forward Paul George told reporters after the uninspiring road loss. "When you play a team like the Hawks, you have to match their energy and we didn't do that."

TV: 9:30 p.m. ET, TNT

ABOUT THE LAKERS (24-21): Point guard Lonzo Ball played a solid all-around game with 19 points, eight rebounds and six assists against the Bulls and he knocked down three 3-pointers in the third quarter. "He's got a knack for hitting big shots. He's not afraid to knock down a 3 when we needed it," Lakers coach Luke Walton told reporters afterward. "What is great is seeing him more confident in getting to the rim. He can draw contact but still be able to finish." Consistency is often an issue with Ball as he is averaging 16 points over the past two games after averaging six over the previous two outings.

ABOUT THE THUNDER (26-17): Point guard Russell Westbrook recorded 31 points, 11 assists, six rebounds and five steals against the Hawks and he didn't have to be told the reason for the stunning 16-point setback against one of the league's poorest squads. "We just didn't have the effort that we needed for 48 minutes," Westbrook told reporters. Westbrook has topped 20 points in six consecutive games and is averaging 26.2 points, 13 assists and 9.7 rebounds during the stretch.

BUZZER BEATERS

1. George scored 37 as the Thunder posted a 107-100 road win over the Lakers on Jan. 2.

2. Oklahoma City C Steven Adams made all seven field-goal attempts against Atlanta and is 31-of-40 over the last five games.

3. Los Angeles F Kyle Kuzma had 16 points and 12 rebounds against Chicago for his third double-double of the season.

PREDICTION: Thunder 118, Lakers 106

New Jersey Devils vs. New York Islanders Preview and Predictions 2019-01-17

NHL Predictions 16th January 2019 by Gracenote

The New York Islanders have successfully changed the narrative after allowing the most goals in the NHL last season. Now the stingiest club in the league, the Islanders look to record their 10th win in their last 12 outings overall and defeat the New Jersey Devils for the third time this season on Thursday when the Metropolitan Division rivals meet at Nassau Coliseum.

"We're playing as a team, we're playing for each other," goaltender Robin Lehner said following his 30-save performance in Tuesday's 2-1 overtime win over St. Louis. "Everyone throws themselves in, everyone tries to get in front of the puck, everyone does everything they can. That's what we got to keep on doing." The 27-year-old Swede has honored his words, yielding a total of 19 goals in his last 13 games to lower his NHL-best goals-against average to 2.16 while posting a 9-1-0 mark in his last 10 decisions. The Devils began to build momentum with back-to-back wins before their pronounced road woes reared their ugly head once again on Tuesday as the team dropped to 5-16-3 when designated as the away opponent with a 4-1 setback in Columbus. "It's beyond frustrating," veteran forward Brian Boyle said. "You try to get some traction going. We work extremely hard. It's been months of not (getting) the results we wanted."

TV: 7 p.m. ET, MSG-Plus, MSG-Plus2

ABOUT THE DEVILS (18-21-7): Blake Coleman has six goals in his last seven contests, including five to go along with two assists during a career-high five-game point streak. While the 27-year-old has been getting positive reviews of late, the same can't be said for the remainder of the team after coach John Hynes told reporters that "certain individuals" were not ready to play in the last game and did not perform to an acceptable level. Keith Kinkaid has dropped both contests to the Islanders this season and saw his current losing skid extend to four outings after permitting four goals on 34 shots versus the Blue Jackets.

ABOUT THE ISLANDERS (26-15-4): Captain Anders Lee, who is tied with Brock Nelson for the team lead in goals (16), has recorded eight points (two goals, six assists) in his last seven games while Jordan Eberle has four points (three goals, one assist) in six contests since returning from a four-game absence due to an upper-body injury. Reigning Calder Trophy recipient Mathew Barzal has boosted his club-best totals in assists (30) and points (43) with four and five, respectively, over the last four outings. Barzal has been a thorn in the side of the Devils, racking up four assists last season and scoring in overtime of a 4-3 win on Nov. 23.

OVERTIME

1. New Jersey RW Kyle Palmieri (club-best 22 goals, 38 points) has been held off the scoresheet in five of his last six games.

2. Islanders C Valtteri Filppula, who scored in overtime against the Blues, had two assists against the Devils on Nov. 23.

3. New York owns an 11-5-1 mark against Metropolitan Division representatives.

PREDICTION: Islanders 4, Devils 2

Chicago Blackhawks vs. New York Rangers Preview and Predictions 2019-01-17

It's been a tough season for Original Six rivals New York and Chicago, who are both well out of playoff contention as they labor through rebuilding seasons. The Blackhawks are buried at the bottom of the Central Division and mired in a four-game losing streak (0-2-2) entering a matchup against the Rangers at Madison Square Garden on Thursday night.

Chicago lost for the sixth time in seven games with an 8-5 drubbing at New Jersey, which matched its season high for goals allowed. "It wasn't the game we wanted, but no point dwelling on it," Blackhawks coach Jeremy Colliton said at Wednesday's practice. "Part of that is the energy, the enthusiasm, the compete and battle level. That's what we're missing, so let's bring that tomorrow." The Rangers also had lost six of seven (1-6-0) while allowing 34 goals before ending their frustrations with a 6-2 victory over visiting Carolina on Tuesday. "We have to keep building off this," New York defenseman Brady Skjei said. "One game is not going to change the season."

TV: 7 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network, NBCS Chicago, MSG (New York)

ABOUT THE BLACKHAWKS (16-23-9): Center Dylan Strome, acquired in a trade with Arizona earlier this season, collected an assist on one of Patrick Kane's two goals Monday but he has a different focus Thursday: winning for the first time in four matchups against his older brother. "There's that little bit of bragging rights, and he's 3-0 against me, so I owe him one," Dylan said of the facing Rangers center Ryan Strome. "I want him to do well every night except Thursday." All-Star Kane had his fifth consecutive multiple-point game Monday and is on a tear with 10 goals and 20 points over the past nine contests.

ABOUT THE RANGERS (19-20-7): Ryan Strome has plenty in common with brother Dylan -- not only are both former first-round draft picks, but Ryan also changed addresses in November when New York acquired him from Edmonton. Ryan has registered six goals and 11 points in 27 games with the Rangers while Dylan has been slightly more productive with seven and 15 in 24 contests with Chicago. "You want to succeed, but you'd rather not score on him. It's a little weird," Ryan said. "Now that he's thriving, I don't have as much of a problem going after him. Hopefully I'll pick his pocket once or twice Thursday."

OVERTIME

1. Rangers G Henrik Lundqvist is 6-5-2 with a 2.50 goals-against average versus Chicago.

2. Kane scored in a 4-1 win over the Rangers on Oct. 25, giving him five goals and 12 points in 15 games against New York.

3. Rangers F Mats Zuccarello set up three goals Tuesday and has three tallies and three assists during a three-game point streak.

PREDICTION: Rangers 4, Blackhawks 3

St. Louis Blues vs. Boston Bruins Preview and Predictions 2019-01-17

David Perron and the St. Louis Blues put their streaks on the line when they conclude their four-game road trip Thursday against the Boston Bruins. Perron is riding a career-best 12-game point streak while the Blues have earned points in four straight contests (3-0-1), including Tuesday's 2-1 overtime loss to the New York Islanders.

Perron has collected six goals and nine assists during his run after netting the lone tally Tuesday for St. Louis, which is 2-0-1 on its trek. Ryan O'Reilly leads the Blues with 45 points and has notched 13 (three goals) over his last 11 games. Boston is coming off its third loss in four games (1-2-1), a 4-3 setback at Philadelphia on Wednesday. Peter Cehlarik scored twice in his season debut while David Pastrnak netted his second tally in three games and team-leading 27th of the campaign for the Bruins.

TV: 7 p.m. ET, Sportsnet East, Sportsnet West, Sportsnet Pacific, Sportsnet360, FS Midwest (St. Louis), NESN (Boston)

ABOUT THE BLUES (20-20-5): Perron leads the Blues with 17 goals and is eight shy of 200 for his career while Vladimir Tarasenko has tallied three times in as many games to get within seven of the mark. The 30-year-old Perron's point streak is the longest by a Blue since Alex Steen registered a 13-gamer in 2013. Brayden Schenn, who needs four assists to reach 200 in the NHL, is mired in a five-game point drought and has recorded only two - both goals - over his last 12 contests.

ABOUT THE BRUINS (26-16-5): Cehlarik was recalled on Tuesday from Providence of the American Hockey League, with which he is tied for the team lead with 29 points. The 23-year-old Slovakian left wing recorded just one goal in 17 games over his first two NHL seasons before doubling his total on Wednesday. Colby Cave, a 24-year-old center who notched a goal and four assists in 20 contests this season, was claimed off waivers by Edmonton.

OVERTIME

1. Blues LW Jaden Schwartz, who has scored at least 24 goals three times in his career, recorded only three in 32 games this season.

2. Pastrnak, who scored a career-high 35 times in 2017-18, is closing in on his third consecutive 30-goal season.

3. St. Louis could be without LW Zach Sanford, who exited Tuesday's game with an undisclosed injury.

PREDICTION: Bruins 5, Blues 3

Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Tampa Bay Lightning Preview and Predictions 2019-01-17

The Toronto Maple Leafs have faded into a logjam of teams all fighting for playoff position after a 2-5-0 swoon and look to change their fortunes with a big confidence boost when they visit the league-best Tampa Bay Lightning on Thursday night. The Leafs have struggled at home, but can win their fourth straight on the road and outshot the Lightning 49-21 despite losing 4-1 at Tampa Bay on Dec. 13.

"We have not been good enough," Toronto coach Mike Babcock told reporters after a 6-3 loss to Colorado on Monday. "The league is going by, and everyone is getting better and we have hit a lull so we have to get it turned. Not mentally sharp, not physically engaged enough either. We only got ourselves to blame. Myself as the head coach, I'm responsible. We didn't play well enough. We didn't play hard enough." The Maple Leafs got No. 1 goaltender Frederik Andersen back in the lineup after a three-week injury absence Monday, but his team did not play well in front of him as the Avalanche totaled 38 shots. It won't be any easier against the Lightning, who lead the league in scoring and showed they can play solid defense by killing off six penalties Tuesday to earn a 2-0 victory at Dallas for their 19th win in 22 games (19-2-1). "We made it a little bit hard for ourselves with all the penalties but we did a great job killing them off," Tampa Bay defenseman Anton Stralman told reporters. "Overall, I think defensively, even though they had a lot of zone time, we didn't give up a tremendous amount of chances."

TV: 7:30 p.m. ET, TVA, Sportsnet Ontario (Toronto), FS Sun (Tampa Bay)

ABOUT THE MAPLE LEAFS (28-15-2): While point leader Mitch Marner (59) continues to post impressive numbers with goals in three straight games, many of the other top offensive threats have cooled off. John Tavares (team-high 29 goals) has been kept off the scoresheet in three of the last four games and fellow center Austin Matthews managed one goal in the past 10 games despite recording nine points in that span. Toronto is also looking for more from speedy forward William Nylander, who has one goal and two assists while a minus-6 in 17 games since holding out and signing a six-year, $45 million contract.

ABOUT THE LIGHTNING (36-9-2): All-Star goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy is 7-0-0 with a .975 save percentage and three shutouts after losses this season, following a 35-save performance at Dallas. "You know he's going to bounce back after an effort that isn't acceptable, up to his standards and his mind," captain Steven Stamkos said of Vasilevskiy. "He always bounces back and finds a way. He was First Star (of the game) for a reason." Right wing Nikita Kucherov, the league leader with 75 points, has been kept off the scoresheet in consecutive games for the third time this season.

OVERTIME

1. Stamkos has registered a goal and five assists during a four-game point streak

2. Toronto C Nazem Kadri has only three assists in the last 10 games and F Patrick Marleau managed two goals in the past 14 outings.

3. Lightning LW Ondrej Palat has scored three goals and set up another in the past four contests.

PREDICTION: Lightning 4, Maple Leafs 3

Winnipeg Jets vs. Nashville Predators Preview and Predictions 2019-01-17

The Winnipeg Jets travel to the Nashville Predators on Thursday in a matchup of the top teams in the Central Division, both of whom seek to extend a recent run of strong play as the All-Star break looms next weekend. They won again Tuesday as the Jets, who lead the Central with 62 points, extended their win streak to three as forward Kyle Connor scored twice in a 4-1 victory over Vegas, while the Predators remained two points back with a 7-2 rout of Washington.

Nashville forward Viktor Arvidsson led the way to his team's sixth victory in nine games with his second career hat trick, and the Predators reached a season high in goals while completing a season sweep of the defending Stanley Cup champions. "He was a big difference maker tonight," Nashville coach Peter Laviolette told reporters about Arvidsson, who has five goals and an assist in his past four games. "He plays the same way every night, and (Tuesday) he was able to chip in three and his line was good." The Jets used a standout performance from backup goaltender Laurent Brossoit, who gave Connor Hellebuyck the night off and made 43 saves as Winnipeg handed Vegas only its second loss in the past 10 games. "It felt like the game ramped up as it went on," Connor told the media after his second three-point game in three contests. "It's hard to emulate the playoffs, but that's pretty close to how it's going to be."

TV: 8 p.m. ET, TSN3 (Winnipeg), FS Tennessee (Nashville)

ABOUT THE JETS (30-14-2): Forward Blake Wheeler collected two assists Tuesday to give him seven in his past six games and 51 on the season, two off the NHL lead. Forward Mathieu Perreault added his 10th goal of the season - his seventh since Dec. 11 - for a Jets' offense that was sixth in the league in scoring per game (3.46) entering Wednesday. Winnipeg travels to Dallas on Saturday before its players break and the pause for the All-Star break, giving the Jets eight days off before visiting Philadelphia on Jan. 28.

ABOUT THE PREDATORS (28-16-4): Nashville ranked 10th in the NHL in goals scored per game (3.15) and welcomed being home after a 3-1-2 road trip as backup goaltender Juuse Saros stopped 26 shots. Center Nick Bonino added two goals while defenseman Mattias Ekholm chipped in two assists for the Predators, who have scored three or more goals in 10 consecutive games (four or more in six). Defenseman Yannick Weber played 14:29 on Tuesday after missing the past 10 games with an injury.

OVERTIME

1. Arvidsson's hat trick is the fifth this season for Nashville, setting a franchise record.

2. Brossoit established a franchise record for saves in a period Tuesday with 26 in the second period.

3. The Predators finished 0-for-9 on power-play opportunities, but used 29 saves from Rinne to defeat the Jets 3-0 on Oct. 11 in Nashville.

PREDICTION: Predators 4, Jets 3

Anaheim Ducks vs. Minnesota Wild Preview and Predictions 2019-01-17

Ducks vs. Wild Preview and Predictions

Bruce Boudreau spent five seasons behind the bench with Anaheim but he might not recognize his former club when the reeling Ducks visit the Minnesota Wild on Thursday night. Anaheim, which fired Boudreau in 2016 despite leading the club to four straight Pacific Division titles, will be trying to halt a franchise-record 12-game losing streak against their former coach.

The Ducks fell to 0-8-4 during their ugly slide after giving up three third-period goals in a 3-1 loss at lowly Detroit that also saw forwards Jakob Silfverberg and Ryan Kesler leave the game with injuries. "It's hard to be critical when you're down to 10 forwards and we're trying to survive," coach Randy Carlyle said after watching his team fall despite scoring first for the fourth straight game. The Wild averted a third straight defeat by squeezing out a 3-2 shootout win over Los Angeles on Tuesday to bounce back from a pair of three-goal losses to Eastern Conference lightweights Philadelphia and Detroit. The teams swung a trade on the eve of the game as Minnesota acquired forward Pontus Aberg from Anaheim on Wednesday for minor-league forward Justin Kloos.

TV: 8 p.m. ET, Prime Ticket (Anaheim), FS North (Minnesota)

ABOUT THE DUCKS (19-19-9): Two days after trading forward Andrew Cogliano to Dallas for Devin Shore, Anaheim made the deal for Kloos, who has appeared in only one NHL game and had 12 goals and 20 points in 34 games at Iowa of the American Hockey League. It was part of a busy day for the Ducks, who sent Kesler (lower body) back to Anaheim to be evaluated and listed Silfverberg (lower body) as day-to-day after he was unable to practice Wednesday. Forward Rickard Rakell, a 34-goal scorer last season who returned to the lineup on Jan. 9 after sitting out five weeks, has tallied in back-to-back games.

ABOUT THE WILD (23-30-3): Aberg, a second-round draft pick of Nashville in 2012, had a combined five goals and 13 assists in 68 games with the Predators and Edmonton before scoring a career-high 11 times in 37 games in his first season with Anaheim. However, Aberg had fallen out of favor with Carlyle, who scratched him in the past four games and criticized the Swede on Tuesday for a lack of competitiveness. Eric Staal and forward Nino Niederreiter were both mired in lengthy droughts with one goal apiece in their past 14 games before both players scored in regulation in Tuesday's win over the Kings.

OVERTIME

1. Wild F Jason Zucker, who had the lone tally in Tuesday's shootout, had a goal and two assists in a 5-1 win at Anaheim on Nov. 9.

2. Anaheim recalled D Andrej Sustr and Fs Troy Terry and Max Jones from San Diego of the AHL.

3. Wild G Devan Dubnyk is 7-8-2 with a 2.08 goals-against average versus Anaheim.

PREDICTION: Wild 4, Ducks 2

Los Angeles Kings vs. Dallas Stars Preview and Predictions 2019-01-17

Kings vs. Stars Preview and Predictions

A sputtering offense isn't giving the Dallas Stars much margin for error, as the team has scored two goals or fewer in 11 of its last 14 games. Although the Stars have managed a 7-6-1 mark in that stretch, they have dropped three in a row heading into Thursday's third contest of a season-high six-game homestand against the Los Angeles Kings.

After blasting his team's compete level in its previous outing, coach Jim Montgomery praised its performance -- just not the result -- following Tuesday's 2-0 setback to Tampa Bay in which Dallas registered 35 shots on goal and worked hard to receive a season high-tying six power-play opportunities. "We are just struggling to score goals right now. We've just got to keep with it," Montgomery said following his team's third shutout loss of the season. "If we keep playing games like that, the way we were skating, the way we were creating really good looks, we are going to end up on top of a lot of games." Offense has been a persistent problem throughout the season for Western Conference cellar-dwelling Los Angeles, which has lost five of its past seven games and scored two goals or fewer in each of the setbacks. "We sure as (heck) got to be a lot more consistent than we've been, and we've got to figure that out," Kings defenseman Alec Martinez said following Tuesday's 3-2 shootout loss to Minnesota.

TV: 8:30 p.m. ET, FS West (Los Angeles), FS Southwest (Dallas)

ABOUT THE KINGS (18-25-4): Captain Anze Kopitar was held off the scoresheet against the Wild after scoring four of his team-leading 13 goals in his previous four games. Tyler Toffoli joined Kopitar in scoring in Los Angeles' 4-2 setback in Dallas on Oct. 23, but the 26-year-old has mustered just seven points (three goals, four assists) in a 25-game stretch before setting up Jeff Carter's third-period goal on Tuesday. The 34-year-old Carter has scored in back-to-back contests to boost his point total to five (three goals, two assists) in his last five outings.

ABOUT THE STARS (23-20-4): Montgomery told reporters that fourth-line forward Jason Dickinson will end an 11-game absence due to a back injury and be in the lineup on Thursday, and the impending return is none-too-soon in the eyes of the 23-year-old. "It (stinks), obviously. You never want to miss games. It's been like 3 1/2 weeks now of just watching. It just (stinks)," said Dickinson, who likely will be paired with Jason Spezza and newly acquired forward Andrew Cogliano. Defenseman John Klingberg, who has eight points (one goal, seven assists) in his last eight games, joined Spezza in collecting a goal and an assist in the first encounter with the Kings.

OVERTIME

1. Dallas owns a 6-1-1 mark in the last eight meetings with Los Angeles, including a 2-1-1 record in the last four at American Airlines Center.

2. Kings G Jonathan Quick boasts a 17-11-2 mark with two shutouts in 30 career appearances versus the Stars.

3. Dallas failed to score a power-play goal in its last three games after finding the net with the man advantage in each of the previous six.

PREDICTION: Stars 2, Kings 1

Michigan St Spartans vs. Nebraska Cornhuskers Preview and Predictions 2019-01-17

NCAAB Predictions 16th January 2019 by Gracenote

Michigan State looks to extend its winning streak to 11 when it visits Nebraska in a Big Ten Conference matchup Thursday. The No. 6 Spartans are coming off a 71-56 victory at Penn State on Sunday, while the Cornhuskers have a two-game winning streak after beating No. 25 Indiana on the road on Monday.

Michigan State has been without guard Joshua Langford (15 points per game) for the last four contests (foot) but hasn't missed a beat thanks to guard Cassius Winston (team-high 17.6 points, Big Ten-best 7.4 assists). Junior forward Nick Ward has been solid in the paint for the Spartans, averaging 16.6 points and 6.9 rebounds on 65.4 percent shooting from the field, but coach Tom Izzo has a number of offensive options. Nebraska also has a balanced attack, led by senior guard James Palmer Jr. (19 points) and senior forward Isaac Copeland Jr. (14.3). A big key for the Cornhuskers against Michigan State will be the play of senior guard Glynn Watson Jr. (13.5 points, 3.9 assists), who had a team-high 15 points in the win over Indiana but will be matched up with Winston and be tasked with slowing down the Player of the Year candidate.

TV: 8 p.m. ET, Fox Sports 1

ABOUT MICHIGAN STATE (15-2, 6-0 Big Ten): With Langford and Kyle Ahrens likely to miss another game when the Spartans take on Nebraska, the onus will be on the rest of the players on the floor to come through when Winston and Ward draw double-teams and extra defensive attention. One of those key players is senior guard Matt McQuaid, who came up big against Penn State with four 3-pointers in the second half as the Nittany Lions tried to creep back into the contest. McQuaid, averaging 8.7 points this season, led the Big Ten in 3-point percentage (47.4) entering Wednesday and also provides strong defense, either guarding a ball-handler or coming over to take charges.

ABOUT NEBRASKA (13-4, 3-3): Senior Tanner Borchardt only averages 12.2 minutes per contest, but the 6-8 forward can make a heavy impact for the Cornhuskers, especially on the defensive end. Against Indiana, Borchardt played despite having a tooth numbed earlier in the day, then finished with seven points and five rebounds as well as a huge charge drawn on the Hoosiers' Juwan Morgan in the second half to help seal the win. With Ward's ability to bull his way to the basket, Nebraska will need to stand strong in the paint and not allow him to have his way, and coach Tim Miles could use Borchardt to help with that task.

TIP-INS

1. Michigan State was second in the country in rebound margin (plus-12.1) and tied for seventh in total blocked shots (96).

2. The Cornhuskers are going for a school-record 21st consecutive home victory, trying to top the 20 straight from December 1965-March 1967.

3. Nebraska leads the Big Ten in turnover margin at plus-4.3, while Michigan State is last in the conference with a margin of minus-2.8.

PREDICTION: Michigan State 85, Nebraska 78

Stanford Cardinal vs. Washington Huskies Preview and Predictions 2019-01-17

After recording its first road sweep in six years, Washington returns home Thursday to face a Stanford team eager to climb back into the Pac-12 race. Senior point guard David Crisp has provided a welcome spark for the Huskies, who have won five straight by an average of 13 points.

Washington relied heavily on Jaylen Nowell and Noah Dickerson for the bulk of its scoring during nonconference play, but Crisp has emerged as another threat over the past three games, averaging 18.7 points while shooting 67.8 percent from the 3-point line. Nowell bounced back from a rough outing against Utah by scoring a team-high 19 points in last Saturday's 77-70 win over Colorado, while Crisp shot 4-of-5 from beyond the arc and finished with 16 points. The Huskies have lost their last three meetings against Stanford, which opened Pac-12 play with three losses before posting an impressive 85-71 win over Arizona State last Saturday. The Cardinal boast a rising star in sophomore wing KZ Okpala, who is averaging 21 points and 8.3 rebounds in four conference games while shooting 8-of-16 from 3-point range.

TV: 9 p.m. ET, ESPN2

ABOUT STANFORD (8-8, 1-3 Pac-12): Okpala scored 21 points and point guard Daejon Davis added 13 points and nine assists in the win over Arizona State, but both were overshadowed by the play of forward Oscar da Silva, who recorded 21 points, 10 rebounds, four assists and two blocks. Coach Jerod Haase is looking for more consistency from the 6-9 sophomore from Germany, who has reached double figures in scoring just five times this season. Freshman guard Cormac Ryan averages 10 points but left Saturday's contest with an ankle injury and is listed as day-to-day.

ABOUT WASHINGTON (12-4, 3-0): Nowell has moved near the top of the Pac-12 player of the year race while averaging 16.7 points, 5.2 rebounds, 3.5 assists and shooting 52 percent from the field. The Huskies rank second in the league in scoring defense at 65.9 points per game with Dickerson averaging 13.9 points and 6.7 boards. Coach Mike Hopkins is also receiving solid production from reserves Nahziah Carter and Dominic Green, who combined for 17 points and six rebounds in last Saturday's win over Colorado.

TIP-INS

1. Stanford has won two of its last three games in Seattle and owns a 77-71 lead in the all-time series.

2. Davis has averaged 16.3 points, 5.9 assists and 3.4 rebounds in his last eight games.

3. Washington (8-0) is the only Pac-12 school that has not lost at home this season.

PREDICTION: Washington 73, Stanford 68

Oregon Ducks vs. Arizona Wildcats Preview and Predictions 2019-01-17

Chase Jeter completed his general studies degree in December at Arizona, but the Duke transfer's basketball career with the Wildcats is just getting started as they host Oregon on Thursday for a Pac-12 contest. Jeter, a 6-10 junior center, recorded a career-high 23 points and nine rebounds while shooting 8-for-11 from the field in an 87-65 victory at California on Saturday, and received a compliment from a high place afterward.

"You're really good, and you're really tall, and you're very cool," Pac-12 television analyst and Hall of Famer Bill Walton told Jeter with a wide grin. "Your parents should be really proud." Jeter, who scored 103 points in 48 games (10.3 minutes per contest) with Duke from 2015-17 before sitting out the 2017-18 season, is averaging 13.4 points and a club-most 7.4 rebounds while shooting a team-high 64.3 percent from the field - third in the Pac-12. The Ducks snapped a two-game slide with an 81-60 victory over USC on Sunday for their second win in the last five contests as freshman forward Louis King continued to thrive in Pac-12 competition. "The guys really responded well," Oregon coach Dana Altman told reporters about his team, which blew a 17-point lead in the second half and an eight-point bulge in the final 45 seconds of regulation in an 87-84 overtime loss to UCLA last Thursday. "They were upbeat. My staff did a great job staying upbeat and getting them ready. A lot of people contributed."

TV: 9 p.m. ET, ESPN

ABOUT OREGON (10-6, 1-2 Pac-12): King has recorded 19.3 points and 9.3 rebounds per Pac-12 game, raising his season averages to 9.9 and 5.1, and is shooting 40 percent from the floor after going 23-for-48 in his last three contests. Senior forward Paul White (10.4 points) matched a career high with 19 points versus USC and is averaging 15.8 in his last four contests while grabbing at least four rebounds in each game during that span. Junior guard Payton Pritchard (11.7 points, 4.6 assists, 3.6 rebounds) is averaging 7.5 points in his last four games after scoring 13.8 per contest in his previous four.

ABOUT ARIZONA (13-4, 4-0): Sophomore guard Brandon Randolph (team-high 16.3 points per game - 10.2 in the second half) is one of two Pac-12 players to reach double figures in every contest (UCLA's Kris Wilkes), and is 27-for-27 from the free-throw line in the final five minutes of a game this season. Senior guard Justin Coleman (9.2 points, 3.2 assists) is five points away from 1,000 in his career after scoring 13 and registering five assists versus Cal. Freshman guard Brandon Williams (11.5 points, club-best 3.8 assists) is 5-for-7 from 3-point range in his last three games after going 3-for-21 in his previous four contests.

TIP-INS

1. Arizona, which shot a season-best 56.1 percent from the field Saturday, is 31-for-35 from the free-throw line in its last two games, raising its season percentage to 75.4 - second in the Pac-12 behind Cal (76.4).

2. Oregon sophomore F Kenny Wooten (6.6 points, 4.9 rebounds), who has missed the last four games with a broken jaw, practiced with a mask Tuesday and could be cleared to play.

3. Wildcats sophomore G Emmanuel Akot, who averages 3.8 points, 2.8 rebounds and 19.3 minutes in 17 games (11 starts), told coach Sean Miller on Sunday that he is leaving the team.

PREDICTION: Arizona 77, Oregon 73

Oregon St. Beavers vs. Arizona State Sun Devils Preview and Predictions 2019-01-17

With a road win at preseason favorite Oregon followed by a home sweep of USC and UCLA, Oregon State is off to its best start in Pac-12 play since the 1992-93 season. But the Beavers, picked to finish 10th in the conference's preseason media poll, know they have little time to celebrate with a difficult road trip ahead beginning with Thursday night's game at Arizona State.

The Sun Devils have won nine straight over the Beavers in Tempe and own the conference's top non-conference victory, a 80-76 upset of then-No. 1 ranked Kansas on Dec. 18. Oregon State also makes the two-hour jaunt down I-10 to Tucson to play one of the two other unbeaten teams in conference play, Arizona, on Saturday afternoon. "We said before the UCLA game that we haven't spend a lot of time on the failures of the past, so we can't spend a lot of time on the successes of the past," Oregon State coach Wayne Tinkle told Oregonlive.com. "We have to stay in the moment." Despite its impressive non-conference record which also featured wins over a pair of SEC schools in Mississippi State and Georgia, Arizona State is off to a disappointing 2-2 start in Pac-12 play that includes a 96-86 home loss to Utah and a 85-71 road setback at Stanford on Saturday.

TV: 10 p.m. ET, Fox Sports 1

ABOUT OREGON STATE (11-4, 3-0 Pac-12): Junior forward Tres Tinkle, who sat out the 79-74 overtime win over the Trojans with a sprained left ankle, returned to play in Sunday night's 79-66 victory over the Bruins and finished with 14 points, six rebounds, six assists and five steals, and ranks second in the conference in scoring with an average of 20.0 points. Brothers Stephen and Ethan Thompson finished with 17 points, six assists and six rebounds apiece against UCLA while 7-foot junior forward Kylor Kelley added 14 points and five blocks. Stephen Thompson Jr., who ranks second on the team in scoring (15.7), was named the Pac-12's Player of the Week on Monday after averaging 25.5 points, 8.0 rebounds and 5.5 assists in the wins over USC and UCLA.

ABOUT ARIZONA STATE (11-5, 2-2): Coach Bobby Hurley said he still believes his team has what it takes to garner an NCAA Tournament bid if it can overcome its slow start in Pac-12 play. "We had some great wins," he said during his weekly press conference Tuesday. "The Mississippi State win and the Kansas win proves that we can beat elite competition. We just need to try to make sure that we do not dig a hole for ourselves. In our league, we cannot afford to be .500." The Sun Devils have five players scoring in double figures led by freshman guard Luguentz Dort (17.1) but have struggled shooting the ball, ranking last in the conference in field goal percentage (44.3), 10th in 3-pointers made and ninth in free throw percentage (66.4).

TIP-INS

1. Kelley leads the nation in blocked shots per game (4.20).

2. Dort has scored in double figures in all but one game and had a season-high 33 in a 87-82 victory over Utah State.

3. If Tinkle scores in double figures against the Sun Devils, he will tie Gary Payton for the second-longest streak in Oregon State history at 50 straight games.

PREDICTION: Oregon State 76, Arizona State 73

California Golden Bears vs. Washington St. Cougars Preview and Predictions 2019-01-17

Two teams searching for their first conference victory meet Thursday when California visits Washington State, which is hoping to have leading scorer and rebounder Robert Franks back in the lineup. The senior forward has missed the past four games with a hip injury but could return to face a Cal team that is allowing a Pac-12-worst 80.1 points per game.

The Cougars are 0-5 this season when playing without Franks, who averages 22.1 points on 52.4 percent shooting and 7.9 rebounds per game. One bright spot has been the emergence of freshman forward CJ Elleby, who is averaging a team-high 17.7 points in league play and scored 21 points in last Saturday's 88-70 loss to Utah. Junior forward Isaiah Wade added 12 points for the Cougars, who are second in the Pac-12 in scoring at 79.1 points per game and could surpass that figure against a struggling Cal team that has lost five in a row. "We've got to regroup," Cal coach Wyking Jones told reporters. "We've still got a lot of games to play. Some guys are going to have to grow up quicker. We're young, but we've still got to compete. We've still got to be able to execute and do the things we need to do to win."

TV: 10 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Network

ABOUT CAL (5-11, 0-4 Pac-12): Four players are scoring in double figures in conference play, led by sophomore forward Justice Sueing, who is averaging 17 points and scored a career-high 27 in last Saturday's 87-65 loss to Arizona. Junior point guard Paris Austin returned after missing two games with a sprained ankle but finished with eight points on 2-of-8 shooting and two assists to go with three turnovers. Cal's promising freshman class includes guard Matt Bradley (13 points per game in league play) and center Connor Vanover, who has scored at least seven points in his last five games.

ABOUT WASHINGTON STATE (7-9, 0-3): The Cougars have used 10 different starting lineups while dealing with various injuries and have struggled offensively without Franks, going 7-of-42 from 3-point range over the past two games. Coach Ernie Kent is looking for more consistency from sophomore guard Marvin Cannon, who is shooting a league-best 91.2 percent from the foul line but was held to eight points on 1-of-9 shooting in the loss to Utah. Senior point guard Viont'e Daniels is shooting 37 percent and still rounding into form after missing four games due to a concussion at the end of December.

TIP-INS

1. Cal has won three of the last four meetings in Pullman and holds a 79-51 lead in the all-time series.

2. Washington State is 7-0 in Pullman this season.

3. Sueing averaged 19.5 points in two games against Washington State last season.

PREDICTION: Washington State 82, Cal 71

Handicapped by The Walker Group at Camarero Race Track
    Always check program numbers.
    Odds shown are morning line odds.

Race 7 - Claiming - 5.0f on the Dirt. Purse: $6000 Class Rating: 57

FOR NATIVE FOUR YEAR OLDS AND UPWARD WHICH HAVE NEVER WON THREE RACES AND WHICH HAVE NEVER WON $8,000. WEIGHT, 120 LBS. NON-WINNERS OF A RACE SINCE JANUARY 2 ALLOWED 1 LBS. A RACE SINCE DECEMBER 17, 2018 ALLOWED 2 LBS. A RACE SINCE NOVEMBER 17, 2018 ALLOWED 4 LBS. CLAIMING PRICE $4,000.

RECOMMENDED CHOICES
    The Walker Group Picks

# 4 EL CROMANON 15/1

# 1 EL GRAN NOLO 10/1

# 3 CINCO Y DOS 5/2

EL CROMANON is my pick especially at such a decent 15/1. The drastic drop in company can only help this entrant today. Has very good Equibase Class Figures relative to this group of animals - worth a look. With a strong 59 average speed figure at the distance, seems well suited for today's contest. EL GRAN NOLO - Has the look of a profitable wager. Appears to have a solid class edge based on the recent company kept. CINCO Y DOS - Like the finish positions in the last several races. Can't overlook the connections here, a 22 winning percentage, one of the most respectable at getting into the winner's circle.