Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturday 1/7/23 Free Plays / Trends / Betting Info / Etc

Service Play Moderator Can'tPickAWinner's Avatar

Saturday 1/7/23 Free Plays / Trends / Betting Info / Etc

All-Stakes Pick 3 for Santa Anita on Jan. 7
    John Mucciolo

A handful of black-type events will highlight a fine 10-race card at Santa Anita on Saturday. I found that a trio of consecutive stakes races in the second half of the card are especially intriguing to me, and I will aim to be rewarded with a winning Pick 3 play using that sequence.
    Race 6: Sunshine Millions Filly and Mare Turf Sprint S.

A solid field of nine fillies and mares will contest the 6 1/2-furlong affair. #3 Alice Marble (5-2) will be a popular selection on most tickets for Phil D’Amato, and deservedly so. The Grazen mare was a smart runner-up in the race in 2022 and has won or placed in each of her four subsequent outings. The Grade-2 placed stakes heroine loves the course and gets Flavien Prat.

I will also include #5 Eddie’s New Dream (7-2) for conditioner Ben Cecil. The Square Eddie mare dons a solid 3-2-0-1 mark at this unique distance, and she is always a major player when facing fellow California-bred runners. The tactical mare was an impressive stakes victress in her most recent local try, and she rates the best chance to upend the favorite beneath Mario Gutierrez.
    Race 7: California Cup Derby

A total of seven sophomores will vie in the 1 1/16-mile event. The two-time stakes winner #4 Giver Not A Taker (9-5) rates a huge chance for conditioner Peter Miller. The Danzing Candy colt is a deserving favorite in the field after enduring a very smart juvenile campaign, and he is a length shy from being unbeaten from four lifetime dirt tries to date. Prat riding adds to his appeal, but I think this race is deeper than most do.

Flashy debut winner #1 Thirsty John (4-1), Golden State Juvenile upsetter #2 Passarando (2-1), and King Glorious S. second-place finisher #6 Crypto Ride (5-1) merit inclusion.
    Race 8: California Cup Oaks

The one-mile turf affair for three-year-old fillies features a field of nine. I will go three-deep to cap the wager, led by Brian Koriner’s #8 Sell the Dream (2-1). The Munnings chestnut has run well in each of her four turf tries to date, led by a trio of smart stakes placings, and it’s a bonus that the filly broke her maiden on the surface too. The talented sophomore attracts Prat.

Unbeaten dual stakes queen #9 Cast Member (5-2) clearly possesses the talent to win the race, and the filly is also bred to thrive on the green while making her turf debut in this spot. The bay daughter of Munnings will stalk the pace from the opening bell under John Velazquez.

#3 Grazed My Heart (4-1) has been first or second in four straight, including a second-place finish on the dirt in the Soviet Problem S. last time out. The gray daughter of Grazen graduated on the green two back when rallying into a slow pace en route to victory, and I think that she is quite intriguing at a square price beneath Hector Berrios.
    Santa Anita All-Stakes Pick 3 Wager

$2 Pick 3: 3,5 with 1,2,4,6 with 3,8,9 ($48)

The Jury: Bets and fades for Jan. 7
    TwinSpires Staff

The first Saturday of 2023 will offer plenty of stakes action and more from coast to coast. The TwinSpires Jury of Kellie Reilly, Vance Hanson, and Ashley Anderson dive in with their best opinions on an interesting day of racing.
    What is your best bet?

Kellie Reilly: #6 Souzak (9-2) makes his U.S. debut in Saturday's Dania Beach S. at Gulfstream Park after selling for nearly $400,000 at the Arqana Arc Sale. A consistent campaigner in France, the well-bred son of Kodiac took a while to get the winning habit but ultimately reeled off three in a row. Souzak arguably saved his best for last, upsetting the Aidan O’Brien-trained favorite, Denmark, in a valuable sales race on Arc weekend. From the productive family of champion Stacelita, he likely has scope to progress for new trainer Graham Motion.

Vance Hanson: #9 Erna (4-1) jumps up from a narrow maiden victory last month into stakes company for Saturday's Ginger Brew at Gulfstream Park, a tough spot that has attracted the Breeders' Cup-placed Cairo Consort. However, in a race without much speed, Erna should trip out well either on or close to the pace, and she's been battle-tested to an extent already by a graded quality filly in Liguria, who beat her by only a neck first out and later won the Jimmy Durante (G3) at Del Mar.

Ashley Anderson: #7 Coach (7-2) will attempt to defend last season’s Pippin S. title on Saturday at Oaklawn and has a chance to get back to the winner’s circle while stretching back out to 1 1/16 miles. Last out, the Brad Cox pupil finished second to Lovely Ride, who re-opposes here, in the one-mile Mistletoe S. at this track on Dec. 10, but can improve with the added distance. Three back, the Commissioner mare finished second by 1 1/4 lengths to next-out winner Battle Bling in the 1 1/16-mile Twixt at Laurel Park while posting a 98 Brisnet Speed rating, the highest speed figure at today’s distance among the field. For her career, Coach owns a 7-2-1-2 record at today’s distance and a 7-2-2-1 record at Oaklawn, while Cox has two wins and a second in six races over the last 14 days.

Who is the horse to fade?

KR: #9 Cast Member (5-2) brings a perfect 3-for-3 record into her turf debut in Saturday’s California Cup Oaks, and pedigree suggests she’ll handle the surface at Santa Anita. The caveat is that she’s facing a couple of fillies with graded or open-company stakes form on turf who are now dropping back into state-restricted ranks. Chief among them is #8 Sell the Dream, runner-up in the Surfer Girl (G3) at this course and one-mile distance and third in the Jimmy Durante (G3). Also exiting the Durante is #7 Quickly Park It, who didn’t do herself justice with a slow start, but had previously crushed the Pike Place Dancer S. at Golden Gate Fields. #1 Carole Lombard, another invariably well-named Nick Alexander homebred, and Cast Member’s familiar rival #3 Cholly, who stands to benefit from the added ground, are others worth a look.

VH: The regally-bred #5 Cawkab (2-1) steps up to N1X allowance company in Saturday's sixth race at Oaklawn following an impressive maiden win over the same track and 1 1/16-mile distance in his second career outing. However, the late developing son of Curlin is facing a far more experienced group of rivals and figures to be a bit of an underlay for the Brad Cox stable. However, if there's any four-year-old in the country inherently destined to be a graded stakes horse later this season, it would be Cawkab. Note his dam has already thrown Grade 1-level stars Girvin and Midnight Bourbon, as well as Grade 3 winners Cocked and Loaded and Pirate's Punch. But I'll be standing against Cawkab in this spot.

AA: #6 Pappacap (2-1) in Race 10 on Gulfstream’s Saturday card. The four-year-old Gun Runner colt drops in class after finishing a distant fourth in the 6 1/2-furlong Amsterdam (G2) at Saratoga last July and will stretch out to a mile, a distance from which he finished second by nearly four lengths to Jack Christopher when running the Pat Day Mile (G2) last May. He’ll add Lasix in his first start in more than five months and is vulnerable against a competitive field of seven. I instead like both Saffie Joseph runners, #2 Twelve Volt Man (9-2), who is 2-for-3 at today’s distance, and #7 Picking Up Pennies (6-1), a worthy longer shot who flashed a 102 Brisnet Speed rating when romping to a five-length win in a one-mile allowance optional claimer at this track in October. He’s 2-for-2 at today’s distance, and Joseph is a 23% winner with horses that won their last race.

What else is worth noting?

KR: Saturday’s Jerome S. is not only a test of the Remsen (G2) form, represented by excellent runner-up #6 Arctic Arrogance. The Aqueduct feature could give another line on Victory Formation, who raised his profile as a Kentucky Derby contender in the Jan. 1 Smarty Jones S. Jerome contender #4 Lugan Knight comes off a third to Victory Formation in an allowance on the “Stars of Tomorrow II” card at Churchill Downs. The close runner-up that day, Two Eagles River, has since come back to miss narrowly in the Renaissance S. at Oaklawn. Lugan Knight has to up his game in the Jerome, but the son of Goldencents and the well-bred mare Sly Roxy (a daughter of Speightstown and Canadian champion Roxy Gap) has potential for Michael McCarthy.

VH: The one-mile Jerome S. at Aqueduct will kick of the 2023 New York road to the Kentucky Derby (G1) on Saturday, and second-time starter #1 Neural Network (7-2) looks well spotted by Chad Brown. A graduate against New York-breds in mid-November, Neural Network nonetheless looks like a good fit against this group and might receive an ideal trip from just off the pace in a race that has plenty of speed elements to it. By Cloud Computing, who Brown trained to a win in the 2017 Preakness (G1), Neural Network hails from the female family of fellow Preakness winner and champion Bernardini.

AA: Bolt d’Oro continues to lead the rankings in progeny earnings by 2022 first-crop sires, and one of his top performers, Major Dude, will attempt to add to his stakes resume while kicking off his three-year-old campaign in Saturday’s Dania Beach S. at Gulfstream. The Pletcher trainee was last seen winning the Pilgrim (G2) and finished third in the Sapling S. at Monmouth in August. Bolt d’Oro also recently earned a Grade 2 stakes victory from three-year-old son Instant Coffee in the Kentucky Jockey Club S. on Nov. 26 and a non-graded stakes win from Corona Bolt in the Sugar Bowl S. at Fair Grounds. Both horses are trained by Brad Cox.

Betting With, and Against, Who Took the Money in the Champions Day Turf S.
    John Mucciolo

A total of nine Cajun-bred runners, one of which is entered for the main track only, will travel 1 1/16 miles on the Fair Grounds lawn in Saturday’s $100,000 Louisiana Champions Day Turf S. The one to beat is defending champ #4 Who Took the Money (7-5), who drew off by a convincing five lengths in the event last season.

Trained by Bret Calhoun, the multiple stakes victor sports a fine 9-for-14 career mark, which includes a pair of grassy scores from a trio of lawn attempts to date. The gelded son of Street Boss is a perfect 2-for-2 on the local sod and continues to stay in fine form with two wins and a solid third from three outings since coming off the long break in October.

Who Took the Money is a deep-closing type who is arguably better than he has ever been as of late. The five-year-old chestnut put in a maintenance half-mile drill in anticipation of his return to the green and will be formidable with his best showing beneath Deshawn Parker.

The Jeff Delhomme-conditioned #7 Touchuponastar (8-5) is the obvious main danger to the favorite while making his grassy debut on Saturday. By Star Guitar, the gelded four-year-old has romped to wins in three races in succession, led by a dominant tally in the recent Louisiana Champions Day Classic S. last time out. The bay is easily the controlling speed of the race and might be too tough to catch if he establishes sensible early splits while alone on the front end. Timmy Thornton has the assignment.

For the exotics, #2 City Park (20-1) has appeal for Eduardo Ramirez. The gelded son of Temple City comes off of a pair of fourth-place showings on the dirt at Delta Downs most recently, but he aced a stakes race at Louisiana Downs in August, and I expect him to relish the move to the lawn in this spot. The late running six-year-old will save ground in the early going before being asked for his best late with Joel Dominguez in the stirrups.
    Who Took the Money – With

$20 trifecta key: 4 with 2,7 ($40)

Who Took the Money – Against

$.50-cent superfecta: 7 with 2,4 with all with all ($30)
    $10 trifecta: 7 with 4 with 2 ($10)

Handicapper's Corner: 2023 Jerome Stakes
    Longshot could surprise in Jerome Stakes
    By: Stuart Marc deVoe, ThoroFan Handicapper

According to the internet, The Jerome Stakes is the second oldest stakes race in the U.S. (Travers is the oldest). Up until 2009, it was run in the fall at Belmont but has since been moved to January and contested at Aqueduct which I hear is lovely this time of year…not so much. It is however the first stop on New York’s road to the Derby in 2023 and offers qualifying points to the spring classic for the top 5 finishers (10-4-3-2-1). That fact adds a bit of shine to a race that has lost some luster since being moved. Perhaps we will see 2023’s Derby winner…

The $150,000 Jerome Stakes is contested at a mile, and the track may be drying out. The event is carded as race eight of ten.

The field:

1- Neural Network - Chad throws this NY state bred maiden winner right into open stakes company off a sporty win on this oval going 7f. After tracking a slow pace, he separated from his competition using a 3 wide journey. The jockey that day was scrubbing on him the entire way which tells me he may not have a ton of speed. That’s concerning since he moves to the rail and has better speed to his outside. Aqueduct’s kick back is no joke and he will no doubt have to deal with it. He will take plenty of $$ at the windows and most likely be over bet. Board Contender.

2- Circling the Drain - A Maryland invader coming off a 7-length score in 40k maiden claiming company. He did go 2 turns so the distance is not the problem. It looks like they are taking a swing here. Perhaps the trainer who was 22% in 2022 saw something. Toss.

3- Valenzan Day - Has already danced 8 times and hit the board in 6 of them. Linda Rice scooped this guy up out of a Starter Optional Claiming race. Those tend to be “cheap” in NY. That said, Linda makes a good living in the claiming game and usually isn’t filling the races she enters. Interesting that she also owns this guy and there is a bit of back class. Longshot Chance.

4- Lugan Night - Broke his maiden at second asking like a good horse while splitting rivals in the stretch. He then came back to run 3rd against a future stakes winner who is undefeated and a stakes placed horse so he’s keeping good company. Looks talented against decent ones and may be taking a sneaky drop in class here. Win Contender.

5- Andiamo a Firenze - Graded stakes placed as a sprinter. Seems to be a very good NY Bred but didn’t do well in the G1 Champagne. Perhaps it was the company. Perhaps it was the distance. Perhaps both. Either way, this isn’t a G1 and he has shown enough quality in the past to merit respect. I’m on the fence but he will lead them as far as he can. Board Contender.

6- Arctic Arrogance - Another NY Bred who ran a gutsy 2nd in the G2 Remson where he beat 3rd 11 lengths. That event was 1 1/8th miles. He won 2 back going 1 mile on this track so he has had success at today’s assignment. He owns the best speed figures and is coming out of the best race. The deserving favorite. Win Contender.

7- General Banker - Jimmy Ferraro sends out this guy who broke his maiden in his 8th attempt while winning a lucrative NY Stallion Series race at 10-1. He looks on the improve both visually and on paper as he blew by his foes in his last and his speed figures are increasing. He also owns the 2nd best Beyer number of the bunch of 83 (Arctic Arrogance-89). His form lines are also littered with some trouble comments so his talent may not have shown early on. Longshot Chance.

8- Narciso Dali – Another on the improve. He needed some class relief and found some friends in a 75k maiden claiming event winning by 6.5 lengths. This water has much bigger fish who won’t be as friendly. Toss.

SUMMARY: Early season 3yo races can sometimes have erratic form as the runners are entering the development stages of their careers. They are figuring out how to be racehorses. I like to search out ones that have flashed some ability and are improving in their form.

The Jerome offers us 6 of 8 entrants are exiting either running for a tag or a state bred race. The other two are coming out open company.

That said, I am first tossing the ones who ran for a tag first (Circling the Drain, Valenzan Day and Narciso Dali). They are going to have to prove something first for me to back them.

Secondly, I will discount the ones who either lack some experience (Neural Network) or who have some questions to answer like distance (Andiamo a Firenze).

Thirdly, I will identify those with proven form (Arctic Arrogance) and those who look on the improve (Lugan Night & General Banker).

Lastly, I need to construct a wager that both offers expresses my opinion while offering me the best bang for my buck.

I would expect that Arctic Arrogance will go favored off his Remsen effort and rightly so. It would shock no one if he won but I don’t see any wagering value to back him in the win pool. I would also think Lugan Night will get some attention and land somewhere around his 4-1 morning line. General Banker will clearly be the price play of those I’ve identified as win candidates as he is coming out of state bred company with some dirty form lines.

THE BET: (Based on $100 wagered)

$40 win General Banker

$10 exacta key box General Banker with Arctic Arrogance & Lugan Night

$5 trifecta Arctic Arrogance/Lugan Night with Arctic Arrogance/Lugan Night with General Banker

Good Luck

Betting on Speed in the 2023 Sham Stakes
    January 6th, 2023 by J. Keeler Johnson

The Road to the Kentucky Derby Presented by Woodford Reserve continues on Sunday with the running of the $100,000, Grade 3 Sham Stakes at Santa Anita Park. Considering that veterans of Santa Anita’s preps for the Grade 1 Kentucky Derby have won five of the last 20 editions of the “Run for the Roses,” it pays to keep an eye on the action in California.
    weekend Television schedule

Friday, Jan. 6: 2:30-5:30 p.m. on FS2; post time varies on FanDuel TV

Saturday, Jan. 7: 2:30-6 p.m. on FS2; post time varies on FanDuel TV

Sunday, Jan. 8: 2:30-5:30 p.m. on FS1; post time varies on FanDuel TV

No trainer has enjoyed more success in the Sham than Bob Baffert. The Hall of Fame conditioner has won the last three editions of the Sham… and four of the last five… and five of the last seven… and six of the last nine. All told, Baffert has won the Sham eight times, including six out of 11 editions since it adopted its current distance and date (one mile in early January) in 2012.

There’s a good chance Baffert will pick up a ninth Sham victory on Saturday. Only six horses have been entered, and Baffert trains four of them, led by the proven Grade 1 competitor #2 National Treasure.

National Treasure showed promise against tough competition last year. In his debut sprinting at Del Mar, National Treasure wired a quality field by 1

An Upset Pick for the 2023 Jerome Stakes
    January 5th, 2023 by Ellis Starr

Eight horses are entered in the $150,000 Jerome Stakes Saturday at Aqueduct, in which the top five finishers earn points to qualify for the Road to the Kentucky Derby Presented by Woodford Reserve.

In terms of recent efforts at the highest level, we start with Arctic Arrogance, who finished second last month in the Grade 2 Remsen Stakes after winning the state-restricted Sleepy Hollow Stakes in October. General Banker is another horse who has run well recently in stakes, having won the New York Stallion Series Stakes easily by 8

Noel’s Weekend Winners: Tantalizing Turf Stakes at Gulfstream
    January 5th, 2023 by Noel Michaels

The Gulfstream Park Championship Meet is in full swing, and we are now enjoying the best season of the year for south Florida racing. The first Saturday of 2023 is ushered in with an 11-race card featuring a pair of ungraded $100,000 turf stakes, which are just the tip of the iceberg for the day’s bettable action on the card. Let’s focus on those two stakes races and try to make the first Saturday of 2023 a winning one. Best of luck.

Gulfstream Park, Race 7, $100,000 Dania Beach Stakes, post time 3:11 p.m. ET

The Dania Beach is the first of the two stakes races on the Gulfstream Saturday card for newly-turned 3-year-olds. Fillies get their turn an hour later in the Ginger Brew, but this race for colts and geldings is up first with a quality field of seven runners. Three of the seven appear to be standouts, and with only a seven-horse field to choose from, the exactas don’t seem like a lucrative enough proposition so you’re going to have to focus your horizontal bets at least on trifectas to make it worth your while. With three standouts, that makes for an ideal three-horse trifecta box. The first horse to use is #2 Major Dude, who was a somewhat disappointing ninth last time out in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf, but he drew post 13 that day and lost the race by less than four lengths, so it really wasn’t that bad of an effort. In the race before, Major Dude had won the highly competitive Grade 2 Pilgrim Stakes at Belmont at the Big A, which is an important win in its own right. The winning rider that day, likely Eclipse Award winner Irad Ortiz Jr., is back aboard for Saturday’s mount. The next horse you want in your tri boxes is #4 Congruent, who is a stakes winner at this mile distance on dirt but switched to the turf for the first time in his most recent start and actually improved in terms of his speed figures to run his best career race. The wild card in the field is #6 Souzak, who invades from France on a three-race winning streak including a one-mile race at Longchamp most recently. Those efforts likely stack up this horse quite favorably against this level of local competition.

The Play: Bet #2 Major Dude to win and play a three-horse trifecta box also using #4 Congruent and #6 Souzak.

Gulfstream Park, Race 9, $100,000 Ginger Brew Stakes, post time 4:10 p.m. ET

Click image to purchase shirt.

Newly-minted 3-year-old turf fillies take center stage in the Ginger Brew, which has drawn a field of nine. The race is headlined by what appears to be one standout filly, and the tote board is likely to reflect that #3 Cairo Consort is the strong favorite and horse to beat. Making her first start for trainer Todd Pletcher and ridden Saturday for the first time by Irad Ortiz Jr., Cairo Consort has proven stakes ability on turf based on her win in the $132,000 Catch a Glimpse Stakes at Woodbine and her subsequent second-place finish in Woodbine’s Grade 1 Johnnie Walker Natalma Stakes. For good measure she added a third in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf to her r

Seoul Saturday: Race-By-Race Preview (January 7)

The capital kicks off its 2023 season on Saturday with a bumper 12-race card. Note the 1st race is five minutes earlier than usual so the races are from 10:40 to 18:00. Here are the previews:

Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million

Three-year-old maidens in the opener and quite a few have already shown some promise. (6) ARGO RICH will be favourite, having run 4th on debut over 1000M in October before improving the 2nd when stepped up to 1200M on November 19th when on pace throughout. The additional half furlong can suit, and he can win here. (1) SAENAE KHAN beat Argo Rich when they pair debuted in the same October race before running 4th over the same distance at start number two. He comes up in distance for the first time but draws well and can be a danger here. In turn, (2) HANGANG POWER beat Saenae Khan when they raced one another on December 4th. That was a big improvement on his first two efforts, and he can continue that momentum today. (10) NONSTOP THUNDER and (9) UPTOWN WHIZ are others to take into account.
    Selections (6) Argo Rich (1) Saenae Khan (2) Hangang Power (10) Nonstop Thunder
    Next Best 9, 12
    Fast Start 1, 3, 7, 9

Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million

Maiden three-year-old fillies with half the field having run once and half the field non having run at all. (6)

Gulfstream Park Hotlist - January 7

Jan. 06, 2023

By Bob Ehalt and Matt Shifman

Hot List Key:

A : A preferred horse to watch B: Secondary horse to watch
    *C: Went down 2 or more betting notches in the final 3 minutes and finished 1st through 3rd
    *D: Went down 2 or more betting notches and finished 4th or worse
    * - 4 or more betting notches if 11-1 or more.

1st race – (9) Set Sail Curlin showed speed, dropped back and then re-rallied in her debut to finish fourth. Should be well-suited by turf here. (7) Temerity might wake up back on turf. (5) Always Connected returns to turf and will be a threat. (2) Zen drops to a level where she should be dangerous. Betting strategy: 9 to win, place. Exacta box: 2-5-7-9. Doubles: 2-5-7-9 with 3-5-6.

2nd race – (5) Song Runner (C) was bet down from 4-1 to 5-2 and was an easy maiden winner. Can make it two in a row today. (6) Avant Glory looks like the one to catch in this field. (3) Rough Entry takes a big class drop and make his presence felt. Betting strategy: 5 to win, place. Exacta box: 3-5-6.

4th race – (4) American Raider was third last time and may be closer while racing with Lasix. (3) Coast Along is worth a good look in his debut. (2) Royal Mende might be more competitive on turf. (7) Free Birds could take wing and land in the winner’s circle in his debut. Betting strategy: 4 to win, place. Exacta box: 2-3-4-7.

7th race – (7) Worthington has won his last two starts and can add to that streak here. (1) Candidate won easily at Tampa and should be hard to catch from the rail. (2) Major Dude makes his first start since the Breeders’ Cup and merits respect. (6) Souzak looms a contender in his U.S. debut. Betting strategy: 7 to win, place. Exacta box: 1-7. Exactas: 1-7 over 2-6 and 2-6 over 1-7.

9th race – (3) Cairo Consort should be tough to beat in her debut for Pletcher. (5) Stephanie’s Charm rallied for third last time and should be a big threat in the final furlong. (6) Anna Karenine cannot be overlooked in her U.S. debut. (9) Erna was a determined winner last time and will be a factor in this field. Betting strategy: 3 to win, place. Exacta box: 3-5-6-9.
    No. Letter/Last race Today’s race Comment
    (5) Song Runner C, 12/14 2 GP Won easily last time out

Aqueduct Hotlist - January 7

Jan. 06, 2023

By Matt Shifman and Bob Ehalt

Hot List Key:
    A: A preferred horse to watch B: Secondary horse to watch
    *C: Went down 2 or more betting notches and finished 1st through 3rd
    *D: Went down 2 or more betting notches and finished 4th or worst
    * - 4 or more betting notches if 11-1 or more.

5th race [Alw 50000s, 1 mi] – (3) Afjan (C) was bet down from 9-1 to 7-1, finished third in a $40,000 N2L claimer, and was taken by Tom Morley who wins with 23% of his newly claimed horses. (2) Swift Tap won his last two starts at Aqueduct for $25,000 and was taken from his December victory by Michelle Nevin. (1) Complete Agenda was second last time out and was claimed by Linda Rice whose barn is having a great winter meeting. (4) Fromanothamutha won a N2L claimer last time for Ray Handal and is expected to get loose on the lead against this field.

8th race [Jerome, 1 mi] – (1) Neural Network (A) was an impressive debut winner for Chad Brown and Klaravich Stables in a NY-bred maiden special weight where he sat a stalking trip and drew off to win by five lengths at 5-1. A fast pace is expected which should be to the advantage of Neural Network as he goes an added furlong in this one-turn mile. (6) Arctic Arrogance (A) was also a first-time winner of a NY-bred maiden but he went on to finish second and then first in state-bred stakes. He won at a mile in the Sleepy Hollow and then set the pace in the Remsen (G2) and was beaten by a half-length going two-turns at Aqueduct earning four Kentucky Derby qualifying points. (4) Lugan Knight ships to New York from Kentucky for trainer Michael McCarthy. He broke his maiden in his second try at Keeneland and then was third in an allowance at Churchill Downs behind the horse that won the Smarty Jones on the Derby trail. (5) Andiamo a Firenze is projected to be on the lead once again from which he broke his maiden and won the Funny Cide at Saratoga. The mile distance is going to test his stamina.

9th race [Queens County, 1 1/8 mi] – (9) Bourbonic (B) returned to the races following a year layoff in a sprint on a sloppy and sealed track and finished fourth. He now stretches out to a more suitable distance for this horse that won the 2021 Wood Memorial at 72-1. (11) Double Crown is the winner of the Kelso (G2) at Aqueduct in October and that gives him an edge over most of this field. (8) Eloquist won his last three starts including the Discovery at the Big A on the front-end going nine-furlongs. (7) Law Professor was second behind Life Is Good in the Woodward (G1) at Saratoga and then was fifth in the Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile (G1).

10th race [Alw 82000 N1X, 7F] – (9) Dame Cinco won a starter allowance by seven lengths in her first start after being claimed for $32,000 by the red-hot barn of Rob Atras. (1) Funny How won her last three races and moved through the NY-bred allowance conditions leaving her still eligible for allowances against open company. (3) Captainsdaughter won the second-level allowance last time for her second win at Aqueduct this year. (10) Hot Fudge returns from a long layoff following a promising 2-year-old campaign where she ran in the Frizette (G1) and was second in turf sprint stakes race.

Best bets: Neural Network (8th); Dame Cinco (10th). Best value: Afjan (3rd); Bourbonic (9th).

Saturday Pick 3 Special --
    The Saturday Special $1 Pick 3 covers races 8-10

Keeneland Select Pick of the Day | January 7, 2023

Jan. 06, 2023

Race 9 at Oaklawn Park | Saturday, January 7 | Post Time 5:22 PM Eastern

Pippin Stakes | Purse $150,000 | One Mile and One-Sixteenth | Fillies and Mares, Four Years Old and Upward

Top contenders:

Traverse (1) gets the ground saving rail which may be to her advantage as jockey Arrieta can choose to try for the early lead from the start, or allow horses like Graysonmacho Gal (6) or Lovely Ride (3) to get the lead from the opening of the gate, from where Traverse can save ground and come around late. That is exactly what she did in her most recent start, after leading from start to finish in victory prior to that. She showed a lot of maturity, and a quick turn of foot, in that last race, then was flattered when the third finisher came back to win her next start. Since that race Traverse put in a very strong half-mile workout in 47.8 which was the third best of 35 on the day. Having improved from an 85 Equibase speed figure in June to a 95 figure even after five months off, the filly has a big shot to take another step forward and earn her first stakes win, rewarding us by opening at eight to one odds.

Lovely Ride (3) won five of eight races in 2021 including two stakes. Last year she only ran five times but her two races on dirt are the most relevant as she missed by a nose in a stakes in July and won the Mistletoe Stakes over the track last month. That last effort earned her a 96 figure right there with the 95 Traverse earned in her most recent race. Like Traverse. Lovely Ride put in a strong half-mile workout (47.2) which was the best of 41 on the day at the distance. Torres was up for the win last month and rides back and so there is every reason to expect an effort good enough to win once again.

Graysonmacho Gal (6) has more runner-up finishes (6) than wins (4) in her 23 race career, and she had a record of 0-2-0 in four races in 2022. However, she opens at 15 to 1 and she could be the lone front runner. The last two times she was she ran well without winning, most significantly when coming up a head sort of victory in the Iowa Distaff Stakes in July with a 99 figure effort. As such, we cannot ignore this mare when considering our wagers involving this race. In addition, Le Da Vida (2) and Coach (7) can be considered for second on exacta tickets, although opening at 2 to 1 and 7 to 2 odds neither offers good value for win bets. Le Da Vida won her first two starts after importing from Chile, in September and in October, but she was no match for Lovely Ride last month in the Mistletoe Stakes, a race in which Coach played “follow the leader” in second from start to finish and may do so again.

Win bets:

Traverse (1) is the horse I’ll look at first for a win bet, at odds of 3 to 1 or more

Lovely Ride (3) can be bet to win at 3 to 1 or more but will offer less value than Traverse, or even Graysonmacho Gal, so is likely better used on exacta tickets like those below. Still, I wouldn’t hesitate to bet her if her 3 to 1 odds hold up.

Graysonmacho Gal (6) can be bet at odds of 5 to 1 or more.

Exactas:

Traverse (1), Lovely Ride (3) and Graysonmacho Gal (6) over Traverse (1), Le Da Vida (2), Lovely Ride (3), Graysonmacho Gal (6) and Coach (7).

Race of the Week: Ginger Brew Stakes at Gulfstream | Saturday

January 4, 2023 | By Jeremy Plonk
    The Lead:
    After a $1242 score in this space last week to open 2023, there are two options: Quit while we're ahead; or return to the scene of the heist at Gulfstream Park. That's an easy choice. Saturday's Gulfstream Park card includes a pair of 3-year-old turf stakes, the Ginger Brew for the fillies and the Dania Beach for the colts and geldings. Not only is the Ginger Brew my preferred play of the pair, it's part of the brand-new Coast-to-Coast Pick 5 Wager matching races each Saturday and Sunday from Gulfstream Park and Santa Anita. It's a chance to double-down on a correct opinion.

​Field Depth:
    Listed stakes winners in the lineup include SHOWGIRL LYNNE B, CAIRO CONSORT and NAVY GOAT. CAIRO CONSORT also is multiple Grade 1-placed and obviously has held the strongest company lines. French export ANNA KARENINE was competitive at the Group 2-level overseas and should fit well on class.

Pace:
    With speed in the far inside and outside, via SHOWGIRL LYNNE B and ERNA, that typically will increase the tempo more than it looks on paper. Their riders will be vying to keep/get position. BEL PENSIERO also has some pace about her, while CAIRO CONSORT is pace-versatile from an inner, post-3 draw. Preferred trip here appears to be from off the pace.

Our Eyes:
    Here are my horse-by-horse notes:

SHOWGIRL LYNN B: Overmatched in last 2 stakes since opening 3-for-3. Win-early types sometimes find that their generation catches up and passes them. Should take pressure early, negating some of the edge of drawing rail.

ISABEL ALEXANDRA: Showed moxie averting a bad spot and rallying between horses at Keeneland, but that optimism was dampened with a flat effort in the local Wait a While Stakes at 7-2. Price rises if you have faith or found a better excuse than I did for last finish.

CAIRO CONSORT: Sold for $875K at auction in the days after her Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf third, she moves from Nathan Squires to Todd Pletcher and certainly changes her perception profile. Five works right on cue at Palm Beach Downs since heading south. Lightly raced female family does trace back to G1 Alabama winner Pretty Discreet, so she should run on this mile trip or more.

BEL PENSIERO: 84-1 pace factor in the Wait A While now catches a tougher group. Thorn in the pace.

STEPHANIE'S CHARM: A bit headstrong through clubhouse turn of Wait A While Stakes, but still came with her run. That's more impressive to me than the trouble lines in the PPs. Jockey changes sometimes help these kind, and Jose Ortiz is riding very well right now. Beware late on the scene.

ANNA KARENINE: Chad Brown takes over controls of French filly who was beaten only 4 lengths in a Group 2 in August when last seen. A daughter of Toronado, the same sire that brought Tribhuvan from overseas to Brown and he wound up a Grade 1 winner in the US ... but lost his first 2 starts after the transfer.

NAVY GOAT: Perfectly spaced workout tab with a bullet at Tampa Bay Downs on New Year's Eve for her second start off a minor, 2-month layoff. Returned a winner Nov. 19 on the Tapeta at Gulfstream, showing tremendous versatility after a win on the unique Kentucky Downs course in September. She's 2-for-2 beyond a turf sprint debut third. Joel Rosario rode at KD and returns aboard in an excellent pairing of styles. The daughter of Army Mule, the shrewdly named NAVY GOAT will be the one to fear late.

LADY AZTECA: Didn't do anything of note with a great post draw in the Wait A While and now figures to lose some ground on the turns. Only win was maiden claimer.

ERNA: May be sent hardest to the front from outside draw with aggressive rider Luis Saez. Stacks up well with tese off local maiden mile miaden breaker in 1:35 flat. $600K Curlin filly figures to get better with experience given her patient trainer Cherie DeVaux and pedigree. Filly who beat her at Aqueduct, Liguria, went on to win Grade 3 Jimmy Durante at Del Mar for Chad Brown. Key player here among the early speeds.

Most Certain Exotics Contender:
    NAVY GOAT has settled in nicely in Florida and is perfect at a mile or longer in 2 starts. She gets the right pace set-up and jockey for her late style.

Best Longshot Exotics Contender:
    STEPHANIE'S CHARM was 31-1 when third in the Wait A While and I like the rider change.

Sending it in ($100 bankroll):
    $75 win NAVY GOAT. $10 exacta part-wheel NAVY GOAT over ERNA and CAIRO CONSORT ($20). $5 exacta NAVY GOAT over STEPHANIE'S CHARM.

What You Need to Know - Santa Anita - 1/7/23

January 7, 2023
    “What You Need to Know” - Santa Anita
    by Jeff Siegel, 1stbet.com Handicapper & Analyst

Specifically designed for the rolling exotic player, Jeff Siegel’s Daily Santa Anita Handicapping Analysis, Wagering Strategies, and Workout Commentary identify those horses that should be included in daily doubles, pick-3s, pick-4s, pick-5s, and the pick-6.
    For additional commentary, follow us on twitter @jsiegelracing.

Grade Descriptions:
    Grade A=Highest degree of confidence
    Grade B=Solid Play.
    Grade C=Least preferred or pass
    Grade X=probable winner but likely at odds too short to play

__________________________________________________ ____________________________
    RACE 1: Post: 12:00 PT Grade: X
    Main ticket: (in order of preference): 4-The Chosen Vron
    Backups/savers: 2-Big City Lights

Forecast: The Chosen Vron was entered in both the first and 10th races today and could have won either one. His connections opted for the dirt sprint, in which he is listed as the 4/5 morning line favorite. The lightly raced son of Vronsky can pretty much handle any surface or distance, and after a sharp recent breeze it’s clear he’s on top of his game. Big City Light catches a field without much speed and it’s not inconceivable that he steals off to a clear and easy lead and proves hard to catch. We’ll toss him in on a ticket or two as a saver.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

RACE 2: Post: 12:30 PT Grade: B-
    Main ticket: (in order of preference): 1-Victory Matters; 4-Mila’s Papa
    Backups/savers: 11-Chrome to Riches

Forecast: The known element doesn’t impress so let’s go with a trio of newcomers with good workouts and win-early breeding in this six furlong turf sprint for state-bred maiden 3-year-olds. Victory Matters impressed in a fast training track drill last month while displaying good speed and a smooth, athletic way of traveling, so we’ll put him slightly on top even though the Dan Blacker barn isn’t necessarily known for success with debut runners. If he breaks running from the rail, the son of Vronsky should be on or near the lead throughout. Mila’s Papa has turned in some fast time at San Luis Rey Downs, lands noted speed jockey Edwin Maldonado, and is bred both for speed (Idiot Proof) and for grass (Good Journey). It’s an educated guess, but we suspect this Adam Kitchingman-trained gelding can run enough to act with these. Chrome to Riches, from the Carla Gaines barn, has some talent but the barn doesn’t have a history of cranking them up, so we suspect the son of California Chrome will need one. Still, he’s worth including underneath as a saver.

RACE 3: Post: 1:00 PT Grade: B
    Main ticket (in order of preference): 5-Bajan Bashert ; 6-Sassy Nature
    Backups/savers: none

Forecast: Bajan Bashert seems pretty solid in this maiden state-bred sophomore sprint after missing by a head in an excellent debut at Del Mar last month while almost four lengths clear of the rest. The Mar Glatt-trained filly gets Lasix and Flavian Pratt and should be a short price in a race in which the newcomers look average at best. Sassy Nature was well-backed (9/5) and flashed excellent early speed in the same race our top pick exits before caving in after a half mile. She’s likely better than that race shows and with Lasix sans blinkers the daughter of Straight Fire could easily carry her speed considerably farther and display considerable improvement. We’ll give her another chance.

RACE 4: Post: 1:30 PT Grade: B+
    Main ticket (in order of preference): 3-Thorn House
    Backups/Savers: none

Forecast: Thorn House disappointed when second at 70 cents on the dollar in a similar Hillside turf sprint last fall but we’re expecting a bounce back effort today from the speedy son of Clubhouse Ride. The Dean Pederson-trained gelding earned giant numbers in his previous two starts that would easily handle this entry-level allowance state-bred field. He must prove he is as good on grass as he is on the main track but with Thorn Song on the bottom the switch in surface shouldn’t be an issue. We’ll make him a win play and rolling exotic single.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

RACE 5: Post: 2:00 PT Grade: X
    Main ticket (in order of preference): 6-King Zog
    Backups/savers: 4-Stay in the Game

Forecast: King Zog certainly isn’t one to trust, having failed as the favorite in four of six career starts, most recently when second at 6/5 in a similar maiden claiming sprint at Del Mar in late November. He’ll be a short price again in this modest affair and may have finally found a field he can handle, though from a pure gambling standpoint there will be no wagering value to be found. Stay in the Game, third in the same race our top pick just finished second in, has form that is gradually improving, but he is a nine-race maiden and may have gotten used to losing. Best advice is to pass the race and wait for better opportunities.

RACE 6: Post: 2:30 PT Grade: B-
    Main ticket (in order of preference): 3-Alice Marble; 5-Eddie’s New Dream; 6-Taming the Tigress
    Backups/savers: 1-Big Summer

Forecast: Each of the three listed on the main ticket are more than capable of winning this downhill turf stakes on their best day, and even Big Summer, rail and all, has a legitimate look. Needless to say, this year’s edition of the Sunshine Millions Filly and Mare Turf Sprint requires coverage in rolling exotic play. Alice Marble, a five-time winner and always thoroughly genuine and consistent, rates a very slight edge in her second start off a layoff. She may have been a bit short when third as the favorite in a strong overnight outing over this course and distance during the fall meeting but won’t have that excuse today. Eddie’s New Dream was overmatched in the Matriarch S.-G1 last time out but she’s back with California-bred rivals today and has always loved this course. She projects to inherit an ideal pace-stalking early position and have every chance from there. Taming the Tigress, claimed for $20,000 two races back, isn’t nearly as accomplished on resume as the top two picks but she’s highly competitive on speed figures and likely has further improvement in her. Big Summer also fits on numbers but must overcome the disadvantageous rail draw.

RACE 7: Post: 3:00 PT Grade: B+
    Main ticket (in order of preference): 1-Thirsty John
    Backups/savers: 2-Passarando

Forecast: Thirsty John was a highly impressive debut winner last spring when trained by the since retired Walther Solis. He returns in the Peter Miller barn in this year’s edition of the California Cup Derby, no easy task to be sure, but the talented son of Stay Thirsty has put together a series of strong of workouts at San Luis Rey Downs that should have him fit and ready. He projects as the controlling speed from the rail under Juan Hernandez and likely has more upside than anything he’s facing today. At 4-1 on the morning line (if you can get it) he offers excellent wagering value in the win pool and in the various rolling exotics. Passarando is a developing colt with a solid late kick and is the one to fear most. He’s not particularly fast on numbers but was stakes winner over this main track last fall and most recently captured the Gold Rush Stakes up north with authority. Toss him in on a ticket or two as a backup.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

RACE 8: Post: 3:30 PT Grade: B-
    Main ticket (in order of preference): 9-Cast Member; 8-Sell the Dream
    Backups/savers: 7-Quickly Park It

Forecast: We’ll go three-deep in this year’s renewal of the California Cup Oaks but not with a high degree of confidence, so we suggest you use as many as your budget allows. Cast Member isn’t particular imposing on speed figures but she’s undefeated in three starts and won around two turns when capturing the Soviet Problem Stakes at Los Alamitos over a wet track last month. She moves to the turf today but with Artie Schiller on the bottom there’s no reason she won’t handle the sod. We’re expecting her to drop over from her outside draw, secure cover in mid-pack, and then turn it on late. Sell the Dream is the one she has to beat. Improving with racing and a solid third in the Jimmy Durante S.-G3 at Del Mar last time out, the daughter of Munnings returns to Cal-bred company today and switches to Flavian Prat. With an edge in the speed figure department, the Brian Koriner-trained filly is the 2-1 morning line favorite and deservedly so. Quickly Park It didn’t get the best of runs when off the board in the same race Sell the Dream exits but her race before last – an easy all-weather stakes score at Golden Gate Fields – puts her in the hunt.

RACE 9: Post: 4:00 PT Grade: B-
    Main ticket (in order of preference): 7-Holiday Arousal; Bottle of Smoke
    Backups/savers: Big Talker

Forecast: Here’s another tough affair requiring some coverage in rolling exotic play. Holiday Arousal is lightly raced with improvement in him, and after finishing a strong second in a solid sprint at Del Mar last time out the Bob Hess, Jr.-trained gelding looks ready to stretch out and regain his winning form. He’s a tad light in the speed figure department but is moving in the right direction and should be ready for a career top performance. Bottle of Smoke returns from the Bay Area with consistent recent form and numbers that make him the one to beat. A seven time winner, the veteran gelding has a good stalking style and should have every chance in a pace scenario that projects to be favorable. Big Talker won a soft restricted $20,000 claiming race at Los Alamitos last month with a strong speed figure, one that makes him a fit at this stronger level. He’ll be running on late.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

RACE 10: Post: 4:30 PT Grade: B+
    Main ticket (in order of preference): 8-Carmelita’s Man; 1-Aligato
    Backups/savers: none

Forecast: Carmelita’s Man is a four-time winner over the Santa Anita turf course, exits a stronger open stakes, and gets an extra furlong to work with in this year’s edition of the Turf Classic. With The Chosen Vron opting for the Cal Cup Sprint earlier in the program, the Dean Pederson-trained gelding deserves top billing and is clearly the one to beat based on his three previous outings (all wins) when facing state-bred foes. He is reunited with regular pilot Juan Hernandez and can be expected to produce a winning late kick. Aligato is worth including on your ticket as well. Lightly raced with superior form over the Santa Anita turf course (two wins and a second in four prior outings), the Mark Glatt-trained gelding is back with Flavian Prat (who has won on him in the past) and is guaranteed an ideal ground-saving trip from his favorable rail draw. He has speed figures that fit and plenty of room for further improvement.

Al Cimaglia: Meadowlands Early Pick 4 Analysis

January 7, 2023 | By Al Cimaglia
    The Meadowlands has 14 races set to roll with the 0.50 Early Pick 4 starting in Race 6. The sequence has a $50,000 guaranteed pool with a 15% takeout, and it will be my focus.

Comments and selections below are based on a fast track.

Race 6

3-Ostro Hanover (9/2)-Seldom raced 8-year-old shipper from the Joe B barn had a race over the track and could have an edge over others coming from YR. Shouldn't blush at the company and could be sitting on a big try in its 5th race after being put away for 6-months.
    5-Good Rockin (3-1)-Comes off a sharp score and now steps-up. This is a test but the 150.4 mile on 12-17 can't be ignored and hopefully won't be over bet.
    6-Arrhythmic Surge (8-1)-Fits nicely with this crew and could be overlooked as Beckwith takes over for Joe B. Price shot has 1 win at M1 and that came in a lifetime mark of 1.51. Should be forwardly placed and could trip out.

Race 7

7-Pick A Genre (9/2)-Does break stride at times and did so with Bartlett between the pipes on 12-7. The miscues happen on smaller ovals and is a perfect 2 for 2 here. This will be the 3rd start off a claim for Engblom and could be sitting on a big try.
    10-Ario Hanover (3-1)-If this Burke trainee is a dialed on high it should be picture time and Gingras picked over the 2/7. The post makes the price and needs a trip but has shown 149.4 speed at Hoosier. Looks like a main player tonight.

Race 8

1-Revolver N (8-1)-Beat this kind on 12-10 in 150.1 and should compete here with a sharp steer. Not sure drawing the rail will help but if it doesn't hurt chances Beckwith could be in the hunt at a nice price.
    9-Chaser Hanover (8-1)-Recent form has been okay racing against cheaper in Philly and did well here versus similar back in April. Mark MacDonald's choice over #10 could be sent out from the word go. There isn't much gate speed inside and might be overlooked at the windows in a wide open affair.

Race 9

1-On Accident (6-1)-Steps-up off a win on 12-17 and drawing the rail should help. Had a big try at this class on 11-26 but was parked in to a 54.4 and half and lost by less than 2 lengths. Should a be a square price and Stratton knows how to work a nice trip.
    4-Three In Heaven A (8-1)-Comes off a win at Fhld on 12-24 which is a more recent race date than most in this field. Does well racing near the top of the stack and can land there with this post draw.
    5-Ultimaroca (7/2)-Racked up some wins on smaller ovals out East. The Big M record is strong (9-3-3-1) and this was Gingras' choice over #3. Should like the company and best to respect.
    7-King Triton A (5-1)-Team Jenn-Joe ships the King in from Philly, and was a winner in its only M1 start which was on 11-12 in 150.3. Has the gate speed to get to the top and will swing for another solid price in a race without a standout.

0.50 Early Pick 4

3,5,6/7,10/1,9/1,4,5,7
    Total Bet=$24

Brian W. Spencer's Daily Picks

Fair Grounds - Race #4
    Picks Notes
    #2 Huntress for Hire Hoping she's a mildly playable price as something like the second choice in here, as she has some win-early appeal and is probably ready to go at this kind of trip.
    #4 Topsy She's another debuter in this short field, and she makes a lot of sense first out for a capable barn. Think the tote might tell the tale between these top two.
    #1 War Saver She showed a little bit of late interest here in the debut last month, and she has some room to come forward off that as one of only two in here with previous racing experience.
    Race Summary Huntress for Hire and Topsy both seem like logical players right out of the box, but I think the former might offer a slightly better price on the board here.
    Fair Grounds - Race #8
    Picks Notes
    #8 Charlie G. Think this guy is worth a little swing in a race where a couple other runners listed below are likely to take most of the cash. His is a big question of quality today, but his turf form is pretty reliable and gives him a chance to get a bit of a jump on the deeper closers.
    #7 Touchuponastar He hasn't done much wrong and easily scored in the Classic here last month, but he's at least a little question mark while making his first turf start, and the price gets a lot shorter this time around.
    #4 Who Took the Money He finished too late and never really threatened Touchuponastar in the Classic, but he's perfect from two starts over this turf course and can come alive late.
    Race Summary Charlie G. has a little appeal on the move back to the turf, and he's sure to be a nice price while coming off the main-track dud here in November. Thinking he has some surprise potential for a piece.
    Fair Grounds - Race #9
    Picks Notes
    #7 Relentless Dancer He might be in line for a pretty nice trip while spying the speed, and something like his last would keep him in the mix right back with this group.
    #2 Bron and Brow He has historically been pretty good over the local footing, and he turned in a pretty sharp effort off the layoff last time out. He's a stakes winner over the course, so this hike isn't all that concerning. Capable player.
    #1 Win Ya Win He's actually a pretty honest finisher considering his form seems all over the place, and I like that he can settle inside and save some ground before launching one run. Price player for a piece.
    Race Summary Relentless Dancer ran a good one here on Champions Day, and he might be able to sit just a touch closer in the early going with these. Interesting here.

Frank Carulli's Daily Picks

Golden Gate - Race #2
    Picks Notes
    #2 RUNAWAY KRISTIN (10-1) Hit board in 5 of 10 starts last year, livelier pace helps, price attached.
    #4 POLACCO (3-2) Gave way chasing second fave in race dominated by closers, goes long way in here.
    #3 LOVE OF THE SPORT (5-1) Steady check-getter broke slowly with blinkers on last out.
    Race Summary RUNAWAY KRISTIN rallied for minor awards in 3 of his last 4 starts in the fall, chasing an odds-on winner once and a ‘moderate’ pace twice going a route of ground. He returns for a cheaper claiming price and gets a faster moving target to run at with morning-line favorite POLACCO in the race. Bet to win and place.
    Golden Gate - Race #3
    Picks Notes
    #5 WALKING BOSS (9-2) Rallied into slow pace in last pair at one mile, gets class relief.
    #1 BIG CITY BANE (6-1) Fits conditions well, has some big number to run back to.
    #7 EXCLUSIVE SPEAKER (8-5) Lost momentum into turn, raced erratically in stretch, risky favorite.
    Race Summary WALKING BOSS tracked a slow pace, advanced steadily around the final turn and finished widest in the stretch against better. He bid 3-wide into the stretch when third in a slow-paced race before that. The class drop could push him over the top and into the winners’ circle. Play a 5-ALL exacta.
    Golden Gate - Race #6
    Picks Notes
    #6 HORSE DOCTOR (9-5) Ideal race set-up is just what the ‘Doctor’ ordered at a proven distance.
    #1 DARNQUICK (6-1) Speed and rail, tracked fast pace in latest until he steadied while in tight on turn.
    #3 PAPAPIFAS (8-1) Drops, starts fresh, looks to build on $79k Golden Gate bankroll.
    Race Summary HORSE DOCTOR backed off a fast pace, took command turning for home and got caught in the closing yards at 6F. The same type of scenario could play out in here, with a different result at 5-1/2F. Bet to win and place and play a 1-3-6 exacta box.

F.A.S.T. Sheets Free Race for Oaklawn Park

PURCHASE
    Oaklawn Park - Race 5
    Daily Double / Exacta / 50 Cent Trifecta / 10 Cent Superfecta 50 Cent Pick 3 (Races 5-6-7)
    Maiden Claiming $30,000 • 6 Furlongs • Dirt • Age 3 CR: 66 • Purse: $33,000 • Post: 2:26P
    FOR MAIDENS, FILLIES THREE YEARS OLD. WEIGHT, 120 LBS. CLAIMING PRICE $30,000.
    Contenders
    Race Analysis
    P#
    Horse
    Morn
    Line
    Accept
    Odds

Race Type: Dominant Front-runner. THORN CROWN is the Dominant Front-runner of the race. * KEY ANGLES * THORN CROWN: Horse has a TrackMaster "+" designation or an "L" designation. Horse has the highest TrackMaster Power Rating. Horse has the high est average Equibase Speed Figure at the distance/surface.
    THORN CROWN
    8/1
    2/1

P#
    Horse (In Running Style Order)
    Line
    Running Style
    Good
    Class
    Good
    Speed
    Early Figure
    Finish Figure
    Platinum
    Figure
    THORN CROWN
    8/1
    Front-runner
    TWIRLING TIGRESS
    12/1
    Front-runner
    FLY CONDOR
    20/1
    Alternator/Stalker
    TRIBAL SPIRIT
    5/1
    Trailer
    UNIFIED GURL
    10/1
    Alternator/Trailer
    Unknown Running Style: LOVELY JOYCE (30/1) [Jockey: Bowen Rocco - Trainer: Prather Jr John Henry], ANDREA BEACH (4/1) [Jockey: Cheminaud Vincent - Trainer: Correas IV Ignacio], FANCY HILL (20/1) [Jockey: Cabrera David - Trainer: Martin Timothy E], SU

F.A.S.T. Sheets Free Race for Santa Anita ParkPURCHASE

Santa Anita Park - Race 10
    $1 Exacta / $0.50 Trifecta / $0.10 Superfecta / $1 Super Hi 5 Leg 3 of the $1 Golden Hour Pick 4 Leg 1 of the $5 Golden Hour Double
    Stakes • 1 1/8 Miles • Turf • Ages 4 and up CR: 103 • Purse: $200,000 • Post: 4:30P
    UNUSUAL HEAT TURF CLASSIC S. PRESENTED BY CITY NATIONAL BANK - (RAIL AT 10 FEET). FOR GOLDEN STATE SERIES ELIGIBLE CALIFORNIA BRED OR CALIFORNIA SIRED FOUR YEAR OLDS AND UPWARD. BY SUBSCRIPTION OF $100 EACH IF MADE ON OR BEFORE THURSDAY, DECEMBER 29, 2022, CLOSED WITH 15 OR BY SUPPLEMENTARY NOMINATION OF $25,000 AT TIME OF ENTRY FOR NON GOLDEN STATE SERIES ELIGIBLE HORSES OR $4,000 FOR GOLDEN STATE SERIES ELIGIBLE HORSES. ALL HORSES TO PAY $1,500 TO ENTER AND AN ADDITIONAL $1,500 TO START WITH $200,000 GUARANTEED OF WHICH $110,000 TO THE WINNER, $38,000 TO SECOND, $22,000 TO THIRD, $12,000 TO FOURTH, AND $6,000 TO FIFTH, $4,000 TO SIXTH, $4,000 TO SEVENTH, $4,000 TO EIGHTH. 124 LBS. NON-WINNERS OF A SWEEPSTAKES AT ONE MILE OR OVER ALLOWED 2 LBS. NON-WINNERS OF TWO RACES OTHER THAN MAIDEN, CLAIMING OR STARTER AT ONE MILE OR OVER ALLOWED 4 LBS. A TROPHY WILL BE PRESENTED TO THE WINNING OWNER.
    Contenders
    Race Analysis
    P#
    Horse
    Morn
    Line
    Accept
    Odds

Race Type: Paceless Race. There is no true early speed in this race. * KEY ANGLES * ALIGATO: Horse's win percentage at today's distance(sprint or route)/surface (dirt or turf) is at least 50. COALINGA ROAD: Horse has the highest TrackMaster Power Rating. CARMELITA'S MAN: Horse ranks in the top three in average Equibase Speed Figure at the distance/surface. BANG FOR YOUR BUCK: Horse ranks in the top three in TrackMaster Power Rating. KINGS RIVER KNIGHT: Horse's win percentage at today's di stance(sprint or route)/surface (dirt or turf) is at least 50.
    ALIGATO
    5/2
    6/1
    COALINGA ROAD
    5/1
    7/1
    CARMELITA'S MAN
    2/1
    7/1
    BANG FOR YOUR BUCK
    15/1
    7/1
    KINGS RIVER KNIGHT
    6/1
    8/1

P#
    Horse (In Running Style Order)
    Line
    Running Style
    Good
    Class
    Good
    Speed
    Early Figure
    Finish Figure
    Platinum
    Figure
    KINGS RIVER KNIGHT
    6/1
    Stalker
    BANG FOR YOUR BUCK
    15/1
    Stalker
    DOC ADAMS
    6/1
    Stalker
    ROYAL 'N RANDO
    8/1
    Alternator/Stalker
    CARMELITA'S MAN
    2/1
    Trailer
    COALINGA ROAD
    5/1
    Trailer
    ALIGATO
    5/2
    Trailer
    LUVLUV
    15/1
    Trailer

Handicapped by The Turf Club Analysts

PURCHASE

Turf Paradise - Race #10 - Post: 3:55pm - Optional Claiming - 8.0 furlongs on the Turf. Purse: $21,400 Class Rating: 90

Rating:

#6 JOKER MATT (ML=8/1)
    #3 COASTAL WATERS (ML=6/1)
    #1 BARNFIELD (ML=5/1)

JOKER MATT - Martinez has a very strong win pct in grass routes. This colt should be fit and ready to go. A thoroughbred coming back this soon after a sharp outing is a good sign. Coming off a fourth place finish at Turf Paradise, some may skip over this horse. I'm not. He just missed hitting the show spot, and has respectable morning odds today. COASTAL WATERS - A win pct like 33 is outstanding for any rider/handler duo. This gelding is in fine form. Ran third on Dec 17th. BARNFIELD - Personally, I wouldn't worry about where he finished in his last race (sixth). Should improve in this event, with some pretty good odds. You have to like that latest race fig, 88, which is the top recent race speed fig of this bunch.

Vulnerable Contenders: #11 NO SLO MO (ML=3/1), #2 UNCLE JEFF (ML=4/1), #4 LIGHT CRUISER (ML=9/2),

NO SLO MO - Awfully hard to bet on this mount when he hasn't been showing any signs of readiness lately. UNCLE JEFF - If this affair shapes up right, all the speed horses will force a fierce speed battle early. Too bad this animal is one of those front runners. Run-of-the-mill speed rating in the last race at Turf Paradise at 1 mile. Don't feel this less than sharp equine will improve too much in today's race. LIGHT CRUISER - I cannot play this perpetual non-winner. Gets the task done from time to time. Could be tough for this horse to beat this group off of that last speed figure. Not likely to improve enough to run a figure anywhere near today's class figure, so put him on the likely underlays list.

STRAIGHT WAGERS: Bet on #6 JOKER MATT to win if you can get at least 4/1 odds
    EXACTA WAGERS: Box [1,3,6]

TRIFECTA WAGERS:
    Box [1,3,6] Total Cost: $6
    SUPERFECTA WAGERS: [1,3,6] with [1,3,6] with [1,3,5,6,7] with [1,3,5,6,7] Total Cost: $36