Brian W. Spencer's Daily Picks

Turfway Park - Race #5
Picks Notes
#1 Blast Furnace He's back off the bench with what feels like a forward worktab, and they thought enough of him off the debut run to give that Gulfstream turf stakes spot a try. The winner that day went on to finish fourth as the 2.40/1 chalk in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf Sprint, and this guy went right to the bench after a follow-up dud on the Saratoga dirt. Guessing he's live.
#7 Rocky Joy Considered him on top in a spot after chasing the pace and settling for a superfecta spot behind some of these last out. Small step forward might do it for a barn that has been connecting in similar spots all season.
#9 Schnittker He's likely to get some love on the board while going first out for a tough team, but they've been a bit light this season with this kind according to Betmix Angler stats. Get a look at him, but I'm inclined to try to beat him.
Race Summary This is a race where I'd want to see them all on the track ahead of the race -- I have some interest in debuting #12 Tapit For the Win, but Blast Furnace checks a lot of boxes for me at what might be a midrange price.
Turfway Park - Race #6
Picks Notes
#8 Nice as Pie She won't be any kind of price in here, but she should get a fair enough pace to give her every chance to run late, and there is really nothing bad you can say about her local form through three easy wins this season including a stakes tally last out.
#7 Gold Del Mar Wonder if she's got a little appeal at a price while rising in a big way off the graduation run at the $50,000 level, as there are a couple races on her page in which she chased the pace and passed some horses late, and a similar kind of run might give her a chance for a share if the early runners come back.
#3 Sweet Gal Of Mine She steps up to try winners in a tough spot today, but she might be the best of those carrying the torch early. Wouldn't be a total shock if she scooted clear off the turn.
Race Summary Nice as Pie is pretty tough to get past in here with a couple forward players likely to at least set a fair tempo, and her turn of foot and finishing ability over the local footing has been remarkable.
Turfway Park - Race #8
Picks Notes
#7 Beautiful Summer Not sure she's quite up to it, but the price might be appealing enough to give her a look. She brings pretty honest Mahoning form with her to this, and she has a little bit of prompting pace to get in the mix early in a spot without a ton of reliable forward players. Maybe.
#2 She's Always Rosie She was better in that second start when still only offering up an even effort, but the class drop might make a similar try a bit more impactful today. Capable.
#9 Caladium Finisher has been competitive with similar sellers, but I wouldn't want to be here at too short a price. Obvious player -- and not a bad place to land if you don't have strong feelings elsewhere in a bad race.
Race Summary Would probably want #12 Sharper Gal and #8 Morning Miracle on the deeper tickets, but I think there's a chance Beautiful Summer flashes a little pace and hangs around today at a price. Was tempted to land on Caladium....