Brian W. Spencer's Daily Picks

Churchill Downs - Race #5
Picks Notes
#9 Thermoscope Get a look at him on the tote and track ahead of this, but I liked him a little bit in a Keeneland spot he scratched out of, so I'll follow him along to this one. Think he might be a fun one.
#4 Rocky Joy He should be right up on the splits while getting around two turns on the turf, but he's bringing pretty solid sprint form with him from Turfway and might like the new footing.
#7 Brilliant Berti Wouldn't be a huge surprise to see him move forward enough to make some noise in this one, and the even effort at first asking in New Orleans seems like a decent enough base to start from.
Race Summary Thermoscope goes first out in a field without any real standout form on paper, and he's one I've been looking forward to seeing get to the gate.
Churchill Downs - Race #10
Picks Notes
#3 Richiesonaroll I think his form is a touch more imposing than it looks at first glance, and he has occasionally flashed the kind of pace that might give him a shot to control the tempo in a spot lacking serious committed early pace.
#5 Bango He absolutely loves it here and has the pace to be right in the mix early on in a race without a ton of speed. The one to beat at a likely short price.
#7 O Besos He might be ready to fire fresh off the November break, but I wonder if he's going to be vulnerable to one of the top two getting the jump on him.
Race Summary Richiesonaroll takes a shot against tougher today, but he has some pace to mix things up early on -- there aren't any real early burners signed on, and maybe he can take it to Bango right away.
Churchill Downs - Race #11
Picks Notes
#9 Carl Spackler Nothing too creative on top here, as I think this guy is supposed to handle these if he brings his baseline effort off the bench. He should finds a dreamy trip in behind the splits.
#8 Accredit I expected a bit better from him last time out, and I'm concerned that he's going to have enough company to make things tough, but his better stuff would make him a player at a price if he can manage to find a decent tempo.
#1 Ah Jeez He hasn't been embarrassed in some decent California spots, and he might be a bit more competitive than his likely price suggests. Could share.
Race Summary Carl Spackler will take cash today, but I think he'll manage this group without a ton of trouble, and I'll look to Accredit or Ah Jeez as midrange price players to build in gimmicks with him.