Thread: Money Arms week of 8/25

Money Arms week of 8/25

By David Chan

This column has produced a 27-14 record over the past nine weeks, proving that a little homework can go a long way when it comes to building baseball bankrolls.

It’s the start of another busy week on the diamond and here are four starters that could earn you some extra loot over the next four days.

James Shields, Tampa Bay Rays, Tuesday vs. Toronto

This is a good spot to fade the Blue Jays as they check in following a disappointing series loss against the Wild Card leading Red Sox over the weekend. James Shields has been dominant on the mound at Tropicana Field this season, currently 8-1 with a 2.21 ERA. He is 4-1 with a 2.63 ERA in six career starts against Toronto. The Rays have only dropped two of his last 12 starts. I’m still not sure that Tampa Bay is getting the respect it deserves, not based on the line we’re seeing for this ball game. I know Shields is up against Roy Halladay, but the Jays perennial Cy Young candidate is 0-3 against the Rays this season.

Cha Seung Baek, San Diego Padres, Wednesday vs. Arizona

I feel like it’s finally safe to start fading Randy Johnson again. The D’Backs have lost three of his last four starts despite the fact that he continues to pitch well. Those discouraging defeats have to take their toll, and on Wednesday, I look for him to get blind-sided by the light-hitting Padres. Cha Seung Baek is a serviceable pitcher, especially against the hot and cold D’Backs. He should be in line for a positive start after struggling in two of his last three trips to the mound. This call is out of left field, I know, but I think we should see some substantial value, making the possible reward far greater than the risk.

Ryan Dempster, Chicago Cubs, Thursday vs. Philadelphia

Dempster will be matched up against Phillies ace Cole Hamels, and that should help unlock some value with the Cubs in this one. The Dempster profit train has yet to run off the tracks this season, as he brings a 15-5 record and 2.85 ERA to the table. His consistency has been remarkable, as he enters this start having given up two earned runs or less in seven straight outings. The Phillies have yet to face the reborn right-hander this season, and based on their recent results away from home, I expect them to struggle at the plate. Hamels hasn’t shown enough consistency for me to back him on the road against an elite N.L. club.

David Bush, Milwaukee Brewers, Friday at Pittsburgh

Bush has quietly turned his season around, winning three consecutive decisions, and helping the Brewers earn victories in seven of his last eight starts. He has lasted at least seven innings in four of his last five outings, and held his opponents to two earned runs or fewer in three of his last four. If you look at his overall road numbers, you won’t come away impressed (2-6, 5.76 ERA), but consider his last four starts away from home, in which he has given up two earned runs or less three times. This is a veteran pitcher that has solidified his role in the Brewers rotation, just when most believed a trip to the ‘pen was imminent. It’s not hard to back him against a weak Pirates squad.

James Shields, Tampa Bay Rays, Tuesday vs. Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Say Cha Seung Baek 5x's fast.

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Ryan Dempster, Chicago Cubs, Thursday vs. Philadelphia

Re: Money Arms week of 8/25

David Bush, Milwaukee Brewers, Friday at Pittsburgh

Re: Money Arms week of 8/25

W=
    L=