Thread: Jay Hieron jumps ship, signs with Bellator

Jay Hieron jumps ship, signs with Bellator

CHICAGO, Ill. (November 16, 2010) - Highly regarded welterweight Jay Hieron is no longer the most sought after free agent in his weight class, as the decorated 7-year veteran of the sport has inked an exclusive contract with Bellator Fighting Championships. The Xtreme Couture trained fighter has been confirmed for 2011's Bellator Season 4 Welterweight Tournament. Currently riding a seven-fight, three year win streak, Hieron enters the promotion with an impressive 19-4 professional record and is widely regarded to be among the top contenders at 170 lbs.

"The Thoroughbred" is a true veteran of the sport, competing and eventually becoming the Welterweight Champion of the now defunct IFL. No stranger to the big stage, Hieron won both of his fights with Affliction before moving on to Strikeforce where he also compiled an unblemished record of 2-0.

"Jay Hieron is a fantastic signing for us at 170 lbs.," said Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney. "Jay is a world-class fighter with serious talent. I can't wait to see him back on National television competing against other top fighters where he belongs. Jay's a spectacular addition to our upcoming season 4 welterweight tournament, where he could earn a shot at our Bellator Welterweight World Champion, Ben Askren."

Growing up near Long Island, New York, Hieron found an outlet for his aggression through high school and college wrestling before running into personal problems outside of the cage. After his problems reached a breaking point, Hieron made the decision to get back into the gym where he first discovered MMA. It was a decision that saved his life.

"The gym is really what saved me," said Hieron. "I was going through some real tough times, and the gym was a place I could go and get away from it all. I got a little taste of MMA from a few guys in the gym, and fell in love with it."

"The Thoroughbred" is currently one of the team leaders at Xtreme Couture in Las Vegas, the training center of MMA legend Randy Couture.

"I'm really proud to be a part of the gym," Hieron said. "I was there before it was ever called Xtreme Couture, so it's an important place to be, and I'm really happy to see it doing so well."

Hieron now joins Bellator as one of the most dangerous fighters to enter the already stacked welterweight division with notable victories over the likes of UFC veteran Jake Ellenberger, Jason High, Delson Heleno, Jesse Taylor and Joe Riggs.

Having not entered the cage since January of this year, Hieron is eager to return to doing what he does best, and it was the unique Bellator tournament format that admittedly attracted the well rounded Hieron to the promotion.

"It's just a great fit for me," said Hieron. "At this point in my career, I want to stay as active as possible, and the tournament format allows me to do that. It's a great organization, and it's just the perfect fit."

Hieron joins Season 2 finalist Dan Hornbuckle, undefeated Judo Olympian Rick Hawn, Season 2 semifinalist Steve Carl, undefeated knockout artist Chris Lozano, UK standout "Judo" Jim Wallhead, and fast-rising finisher Brent Weedman as fighters that have been confirmed for the upcoming Bellator Season 4 Welterweight Tournament, slated for 2011.
    http://www.bellator.com/ViewArticle.dbm ... =205031768
    I heart cock

Re: Jay Hieron jumps ship, signs with Bellator

Seems like maybe a step down to me. I would think the money's not as good. The exposure is definitely not.
    I heart cock

Good to see him at least gets some fights at this point.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

How come he never fought Diaz? I didn't get that.
    I heart cock

I think Diaz didnt show up for the drug test or liscense type shit. Then the fight got cancelled.
    Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

I think the season winner actually gets quite a bit of money, like $100k or something. I like Bellator because it rewards winning. I don't know what he was getting at strikeforce, but I would guess like 20k. I am sure he will be making more money as long as he wins, which he should.

So he will probably make at least 10-20k for each fight, and thena big bonus if he becomes champ... since all the fights happen over a few months, I am sure it is a lot more than he was getting for strikeforce. As for the competition, if he beat Hornbuckle and Askren, I would put those among his best wins... I think those guys could beat Riggs/Heleno/High... Ellenberger is his best win. It is a definite step down from Diaz though, at least in terms of recognition.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

You don't think other orgs reward winning with their win bonuses?

And you say you think Hieron should win. You don't think Hornbuckle or Askren will give him any significant problems?
    I heart cock

I think Hieron would beat Hornbuckle by top control. I am not 100% confident in Askren's ability to take him down and control him for 5 rounds. It would be the best wrestler Askren has had to face. I think Jay would beat him, honestly.

I know SF and the UFC reward with their win bonuses... but Bellator gives the regular win bonuses too and their pay is just as good if not better than SF and UFC. http://mmajunkie.com/news/14794/eddie-a ... ayroll.mma (that was last year too)

For a fighter like Askren, he has no hope of making $100k for a fight with SF, so early in his career. But with Bellator, even if you do not have a name, you can make good $ but just winning the tourney.

So you get the regular show money, the win bonus, AND the $100k prize money, all in like 4 months.

To summarize, Bellator is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist
    To summarize, Bellator is awesome.
    And hemorrhaging money.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

^^ well they have only been in existence for 18 months. Plenty of businesses take several years to get the initial investment back. Hell, it costs a million bucks to buy a McDonalds franchise. Do you think it is a bad investment because you don't clear 1m in the first year? Bellator may not make it, but I wouldn't write them off yet just because they are still brand building. Season 2 was significantly better than Season 1.

You know there have been 3 seasons now, right?

And I'm not saying it's a bad investment. But from what I've read, their investors might.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

I forgot about season 3. That was a step backward. They will probably go under, all non UFC mma orgs do. Just sayin, just because they are in the red, it doesn't mean that much.

You don't think Strikeforce will make it?

They've been around for like 25 years now (though originally as a kickboxing promotion).
    I heart cock

I don't know. I hope they do. It is really a short history for MMA orgs. I wouldn't be surprised to see the UFC fold, tbh.

The only way the UFC could fold is if the sport folds.
    I heart cock

5 years ago Pride was the biggest name in MMA.

The UFC folding would be like the NFL folding. The UFC is run to well. Pride was run into the ground by those running it. As long as the UFC has capable people running it, they will be around forever. Their brand name is huge now.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist
    5 years ago Pride was the biggest name in MMA.
    Maybe in enthusiast circles, but there's a reason I actually never saw a live Pride event.
    I heart cock