Page 64 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1454596061626364656667686974114 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 2570

Thread: 2013 Off Topic Thread

It is a lot like grappling in that there is no real way to get the cardio for it, other than just doing it a lot. I am a good swimmer, or at least I used to be, but I just haven't done it for exercise in about 15 years.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    It is a lot like grappling in that there is no real way to get the cardio for it, other than just doing it a lot. I am a good swimmer, or at least I used to be, but I just haven't done it for exercise in about 15 years.
    I would imagine with swimming it is really a big deal if your technique is off by even a little bit. Running is easy for anyone to do. I am sure there is some technical issues to it but most people can do it easily. Swimming is harder to get the coordination for.
    1 unit = 300 $

I really don't know about that. I am definitely not technically perfect... but back in the 50's people swam the english channel using a crawl stroke that looks nothing like the crawl you see today. I am sure it matters as far as speed goes, but my guess is that as long as you are somewhat relaxed, you can go pretty well even with less than perfect technique. That said, my goal is to just get through that part without having to be saved by the boats.

Are you on your special diet still?
    1 unit = 300 $

I'm training for a mountain bike race this summer. "Crusher in the Tusher" 70 miles of dirt & road, 10,500' of climbing. I just finished 12 weeks of a base plan and am starting 10 weeks of my race plan tonight.
    I wouldn't have normally done something like this but my buddies talked me into it, they say it suppose to be FUN! I'm just hoping to survive.

But I have no doubt I could walk out the door right now and do a 5K at a shuffling 9 or 10 minute mile pace, even though I haven't run in at least a year.
    Shit, I'd be huffing and puffing hard after like a block and a half.

When I do cardio, it's usually at the gym and usually either the recumbent bike or the elliptical. Most often it's the bike.

The other issue is that I don't really like . . . going to the gym to work out.
    Why not?
    I heart cock

Is it actually on your ankles? Maybe it is shin splints? Never heard of that. It hurts my knees more than anything, but I am also 210# of pavement pounding man flesh.
    Yeah, it's a specific point on the inside of my ankles basically, maybe a little higher. It's hard to explain. But it hurts to run and when I do I'm usually kind of fucked up for a few days after that.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555 View Post
    Are you on your special diet still?
    yeah, I am trying. But I am weak, and when I travel in the car, which is a lot lately, I eat like shit for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by High5 View Post
    I'm training for a mountain bike race this summer. "Crusher in the Tusher" 70 miles of dirt & road, 10,500' of climbing. I just finished 12 weeks of a base plan and am starting 10 weeks of my race plan tonight.
    I wouldn't have normally done something like this but my buddies talked me into it, they say it suppose to be FUN! I'm just hoping to survive.
    That sounds brutal. Climbing changes everything I said about biking. I like in a hilly area, but for every up, there is an equal and opposite down. Living in the west like you do... that changes riding considerably. Are you riding a cyclo-cross bike I hope? Your roadie or a a mountain bike?

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    Shit, I'd be huffing and puffing hard after like a block and a half.

When I do cardio, it's usually at the gym and usually either the recumbent bike or the elliptical. Most often it's the bike.

Why not?
    I don't like gyms. Just the whole idea of working out on a treadmill or stationary bike kills my soul. I laugh as I ride past the fancy gym on my way to work, "ha I am getting my work out for FREE and I get to save gas too!" What absolutely kills me is people who drive to the gym to walk on a treadmill or ride a stationary bike, it is complete insanity.

I get lifting, because you pretty much have to do that in there. But indoor cardio machines... I don't get. Swimming, I may actually just hop in the river Cosmo Kramer style because I don't like the idea of just going back and forth and paying for it.

Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

that's pretty funny/scary. As I have gotten older, I have come to realize that getting hit in the head is no joke.

Isnt that what happens with a lot of concussions? I'm no doctor

That sounds brutal. Climbing changes everything I said about biking. I like in a hilly area, but for every up, there is an equal and opposite down. Living in the west like you do... that changes riding considerably. Are you riding a cyclo-cross bike I hope? Your roadie or a a mountain bike?
    A lot of riders will be on a cross bike, I think it's the most efficient for this type of race. I don't have one, I'll be on my mountain bike. I am planning on running narrower tires.....maybe like a 1.9.

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    Yeah, it's a specific point on the inside of my ankles basically, maybe a little higher. It's hard to explain. But it hurts to run and when I do I'm usually kind of fucked up for a few days after that.
    You need to try cycling, much much easier on your joints.

Quote Originally Posted by High5 View Post
    A lot of riders will be on a cross bike, I think it's the most efficient for this type of race. I don't have one, I'll be on my mountain bike. I am planning on running narrower tires.....maybe like a 1.9.
    Yeah, I rode my 1997 hard tail mountain bike with 1.5 inches smooth tires for years. I used to commute to school on it (12 years ago) and I still use it (I turned it into a single speed about a year ago) for road riding and off road use. Personally, I think the fat knobbies are overkill unless it is pretty rough terrain. I have never needed to put the mountain tires back on it.

Speaking of touring on a mountain bike... if you have netflix, check out "Ride the Divide" it is a documentary about a 1200 mile mountain bike race along the continental divide. It makes you want to throw a tent on your pannier and ride off for a couple weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Isnt that what happens with a lot of concussions? I'm no doctor
    I haven't seen that many KO's. What I have seen there is some confusion about what happened, but their brains aren't usually that scrambled. FWIW, basically the same thing happens when you get choked out, you don't remember getting choked most of the time. They say getting choked out doesn't hurt you though.

Concussions generally result in memory loss regarding the surrounding time before and after the physical act that caused the concussion.

I've only had one bad concussion in my life (plenty of minor ones though, im sure). I don't remember much of anything before the slamming of my head nor anything for about an hour after the fact. I do think I remember what I did immeadiately after though for some reason. I don't know, its been a little while since it happened. Also, it messed me up for about a week or so after I got the concussion. Just depressed and getting headaches. Sucked.

Gotta imagine the older gracies wouldn't have been in such good health if the chokes were bad.
    1 unit = 300 $

Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    Concussions generally result in memory loss regarding the surrounding time before and after the physical act that caused the concussion.

I've only had one bad concussion in my life (plenty of minor ones though, im sure). I don't remember much of anything before the slamming of my head nor anything for about an hour after the fact. I do think I remember what I did immeadiately after though for some reason. I don't know, its been a little while since it happened. Also, it messed me up for about a week or so after I got the concussion. Just depressed and getting headaches. Sucked.

Same here. I was in a car wreck where I hit my head and remember nothing for about a 4 hour gap. Not only that, people said I was saying off the wall things the entire time........that's why this Torres video didnt really shock me