New York Knicks vs. Washington Wizards Preview and Predictions 2019-01-17

NBA Predictions 16th January 2019 by Gracenote
by Gracenote on 01/16/2019

The New York Knicks aren't having much luck generating wins on this side of the Atlantic Ocean and are hoping a trip across the pond can improve their fortunes. The Knicks will try to snap their latest slide at four straight when they face the Washington Wizards in London on Thursday.

New York is barely staying out of the basement in the Eastern Conference and lost 12 of its last 13 games but was encouraged by the effort in a 108-105 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers on Sunday. "Obviously I'm really proud of that effort," Knicks coach David Fizdale told reporters. "They didn't cave in. We've been taking some punches lately in some of our losses. But to not have Tim (Hardaway), to not have Enes (Kanter) and for these guys to go out and compete that way, I'm definitely proud of them." Washington heads to England playing well with wins over Philadelphia and Milwaukee and a 140-138 double-overtime loss to the Toronto Raptors over the last three games. "Disappointed that we didn't get the win but still proud of our guys the way they battled," Washington coach Scott Brooks told reporters after Sunday's loss to the Raptors. "If we keep playing like this, we're going to be in a lot of good games and in a good position to win these games in the end."

TV: 3 p.m. ET, NBATV, NBCS Washington, MSG (New York)

ABOUT THE WIZARDS (18-26): Washington was still in the game at the end against the Raptors thanks in large part to All-Star guard Bradley Beal, who recorded his second career triple-double with 43 points, 15 assists and 10 rebounds in the loss. "We needed every bit," Brooks told reporters. "I needed to play him extra minutes in that second half and then overtime, obviously, the extra 10. He competes. He puts us in the position to win. That's what your All-Stars are supposed to do." Beal is averaging 36.3 points on 52.6 percent shooting over the last three contests.

ABOUT THE KNICKS (10-33): New York's losing season is giving the young players on the roster a chance to shine and rookie forward Kevin Knox is taking advantage of the situation. Knox scored a season-high 31 points on 12-of-23 shooting in Sunday's setback and is averaging 16.2 points in January after posting a 17.1 average in December. "It feels pretty good," Knox told reporters. "I know it's my career high. But I have a lot of room to improve. I'm only 19, so I want to keep getting better and keep learning every single year."

BUZZER BEATERS

1. Hardaway (hamstring) sat out Sunday and is day-to-day.

2. Wizards SF Trevor Ariza is 10-of-22 from 3-point range over the last two games after missing all 15 of his attempts over the previous three contests.

3. Washington took the first two meetings this season by a total of 16 points.

PREDICTION: Wizards 122, Knicks 110