Primetime Sports Picks

MLB Cubs over 9

Service Play Moderator Can'tPickAWinner's Avatar
    Sports Action 365

FREE MLB WINNER 9/11/20:
    PLAY White Sox -1.5(-130) vs Tigers, GAME TIME 8:10 PM EST

Jack Brayman

My free play for Friday is the Kansas City Royals, who host the Pittsburgh Pirates in an Interleague battle of disappointments.

The Royals have won three in a row and are playing with a bit of momentum, while the Bucs arrive with a dismal 5-13 road mark this season.

Pittsburgh has just 32 runs in September, fourth-lowest overall in the bigs this month. The Pirates also rank dead last this season with just 60 runs scored on the highway, while they have the second-worst road batting average, at .199.

KC manger Mike Matheny was somewhat complimentary about starter Kris Bubic's last outing, on Saturday, when he lasted a career-high seven innings and allowed four hits and five runs - just two earned - while striking out four.

During his Zoom session with the media, Matheny said, "Great outing. You take that fifth away, or we take a play that didn't get made in the fifth and that's a completely different ball game. But still, he gets through that first and really shows no chink in his armor. He just got better as he went. Almost every time we've been able to stretch him it just seems like his stuff looks better late. I think was as good as we could ask for."

Words of encouragement can go a long way. Though I won't insist on specific pitchers, I do think Bubic is the right play tonight.

5* ROYALS

Stephen DeAngelo

For Friday in baseball, playing the weekend opener between Detroit and Chicago to hold Under the total based on the strong pitching of Lucas Giolito.

Giolito will face a Detroit team that just played a doubleheader in St. Louis yesterday with both games landing Over the total. That puts the Tigers on an Over run of 4 in a row, but I expect that trend to be halted tonight versus Giolito.

The Sox righty has seen 5 of his last 8 season starts end up in the Under column. He has struck out 8 batters or more in each of his last 4 starts and in 6 of his last 7 overall. He has already turned in 7 shutout innings in an August 20th start against Detroit in which he whiffed 13 hitters. Expect him to limit the Tigers once again.

Chicago enters having gone 5-2-1 Under the total for their last 8 games and will getting their second look at rookie Casey Mize who they did get to for 3 runs in his 4-plus innings worked earlier this season.

Series numbers show 6 of the last 10 played between these A.L. Central rivals having held Under the total.

Some tired Tigers bats tonight get set down and stay quiet against Giolito and the Pale Hose.

Go Under in Detroit-Chicago for Friday night.

3* DETROIT-WHITE SOX UNDER

Chris Jordan

Wrong time for the Cleveland Indians to be visiting the Minnesota Twins, that's for sure. Cleveland loses three straight at home, to the lowly Kansas City Royals, and now you're going to face the preseason division favorite? OOF!

I like the Twins in this one, as they're battling to get back to first place, chasing the Chicago White Sox, while holding off the third-place Indians.

These two last played each other Aug. 24-26 at Progressive Field, where the Indians took two out of three games. That adds to the importance of this series for the Twins.

I know the Indians are sending Cy Young-candidate Shane Bieber to the hill, but the Twins will be out for revenge against him, as he's 5-0 in 10 appearances against them. He has a 3.47 ERA in those games, nine of them starts, but Minnesota batters are hitting .266 against him.

Minnesota is 7-3 in its last 10 games including a doubleheader split in St. Louis on Tuesday, and should be rested after taking off Wednesday and Thursday. I trust we'll see offense against Bieber, likely sparked by Nelson Cruz Jr., who is batting .500 with a 1.363 OPS and two home runs in his last seven games, and Byron Buxton, who has six hits and a .316 batting average in his last six games.

Challenging Bieber will be Kenta Maeda, who is 2-0 with a ultra-stingy 0.82 ERA and 13 strikeouts with just two walks in two starts against the Indians this season.

Take Minnesota in this very important series lid-lifter.

5* TWINS