Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 148 Sonnen vs Silva II

Yeah, I had originally bet even more on Le, but the guys on SD talked me into hedging out a bit.

I think people are down on him because 1) He's old. 2) He hasn't shown that much dedication to MMA. And most of all 3) He has never beaten anyone good.

I mainly bet on him because Cote is bad and overrated and there is usually money to be made fading him. I recall that I got Lawlor over him at an absurdly good line, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Svino View Post
    He has never beaten anyone good.
    Yes, but the guys he HAS beaten, he destroyed. The Scott Smith loss is obviously a real black mark, but he was DESTROYING Smith before he gassed, so it's clear that it wasn't a matter of technical skill that brought the L on that one.

But like I've said before, his sanshou and kickboxing career should be enough to prove to anyone that he's a very good striker. He was a champ in one of the biggest kickboxing organizations in the world.

If he hadn't had conditioning problems then he would've been Wanderlei, too.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_scientist View Post
    I personally though he would get beaten by Cote. His wrestling is not that good, and the rest of his ground game is bad. I though Cote would clinch him up and eventually land some power. But he was content to stand right in Le's range and trade. Weird strategy by Cote.
    Le was the one doing all the taking down in that fight. Cote tried for a couple of takedowns and both were stuffed. It seemed obvious to me that Le was the better wrestler/grappler.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    Le was the one doing all the taking down in that fight. Cote tried for a couple of takedowns and both were stuffed. It seemed obvious to me that Le was the better wrestler/grappler.
    Yeah, Cote's grappling is very weak. He could potentially have hurt Le a lot in the standing clinch, though. That was something I was worried about.

Le is a california wrestlong champ

I didn't notice that knee contact when watching it live. This gif makes Silva look pretty damn smooth:

http://www.cagepotato.com/gif-of-the...in-at-ufc-148/

Today on @TheMMAShow on http://thescore.com,@MMAEncyclopedia informed us that Sonnen's camp will file an appeal with NSAC for Silva's knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Svino View Post
    I didn't notice that knee contact when watching it live. This gif makes Silva look pretty damn smooth:
    Yeah. I don't like Silva but it's hard not to be in awe of his abilities. It's like time runs slower for him or something and he has the ability to make real-time calculations and react far more quickly than 99% of humans.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by poopoo333 View Post
    Uhh. . .

Really? Didn't Sonnen say at the post-fight presser that the knee hit him in the chest and he didn't have any problems with it?
    I heart cock

You can see plain as day that the knee landed on the chest. If there was any contact with the head, it was incidental. It didn't have an impact on the fight.
    2012: +19.33
    2012 Parlay project: +16.5u

Quote Originally Posted by edman5555 View Post
    Le is a california wrestlong champ
    I know. He did some wrestling in college too. He has some good upper body takedowns, but I have seen him grappling, and he is terrible. He was throwing half nelsons on Cote.

My bet was mostly a fade of Cote. I figured his takedowns wouldn't be enough to get Le down and it would be a kickboxing match, which favored Le for at least two rounds if not all three. I didn't feel Le should have been a +200 dog to the Patrick Cote of 2012.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

I know. He did some wrestling in college too. He has some good upper body takedowns, but I have seen him grappling, and he is terrible.
    As long as his grappling is enough to keep it standing then it doesn't matter what he's like on the ground.

He was throwing half nelsons on Cote.
    Why is that bad?
    I heart cock

As long as his grappling is enough to keep it standing then it doesn't matter what he's like on the ground.

Why is that bad?
    Well, I didn't think it would be good enough. Was wrong, but I think I just overestimated Cote. I would still think that a decent wrestler would take him down and pulverize him. Thankfully for all of us, he will never have to fight that fight.

Half nelson... why? What does it get you? He was basically doing an old school spiral ride, which back in the old days (when Le wrestled) they used to teach the spiral with half, usually, it is taught under the arm now, but not all the way to the half.

I appreciate Cung as a sprawl-and-brawl guy striker. He doesn't have a complete skillset. But that doesn't mean that he's not a good fighter or that he can't beat a lot of guys.
    I heart cock

Apparently Sonnen is demanding another rematch from Dana White.
    I heart cock

From Sonnen's coach:

"What I'm going to do is change my tactic," McQuarry said. "We're going to ask for a rematch. We deserve a rematch. If the only way Anderson Silva can win is by cheating, we need to keep a closer eye on Silva before and during a fight. And we need a rematch now. Legal knee or illegal knee, there's enough doubt with all the fouls to warrant a rematch."
    I heart cock

I appreciate Cung as a sprawl-and-brawl guy striker. He doesn't have a complete skillset. But that doesn't mean that he's not a good fighter or that he can't beat a lot of guys.
    I think he is a pretty good fighter, and had he gotten into MMA 15 years ago, I think he might even have been a great fighter.

From Sonnen's coach:

"What I'm going to do is change my tactic," McQuarry said. "We're going to ask for a rematch. We deserve a rematch. If the only way Anderson Silva can win is by cheating, we need to keep a closer eye on Silva before and during a fight. And we need a rematch now. Legal knee or illegal knee, there's enough doubt with all the fouls to warrant a rematch."

let it go. Silva did hold the shorts, but calling someone a cheater when your T levels are 16:1 is more than a little ridiculous.

Silva also tried to move the vaseline around.