Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456712 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Off Topic Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    I just recently finished the series and now I'm (slowly) reading the books.

I have shit to say but I don't want to just blast it out there. Do spoiler tags work around here? They don't seem to. Anyone know a solution to that problem?
    Just put spoiler and put it way below:

like this.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

^^^ We really need spoiler tags. They're so useful.
    I heart cock

How do I post a video I saw on facebook on here?
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Who here has seen M. Night Shyamalan's "Signs" recently? Or can remember it from back in the day? I just recently ran across this fan theory regarding the alien creatures. Pretty thought-provoking shit.

When I first saw this film, I didn't realize that it wasn't about aliens at all. It's about the return of demons. Notice it's all about a priest's resurgence of belief, and a preordained moment of redemption-if-dared-and-attempted. There is no alien technology or weaponry or clothing of any kind, only a clawed, naked beast creature and lights in the sky.

Furthermore: The running joke throughout the movie is that people see these "invaders" in a way that's related to their particular frame of mind: The cop sees them as prankster kids, the bookstore owners see them as "a hoax to sell commercials," the Army recruitment officer sees them as invading military, the kids see them as UFOs... and the Priest sees them as test of faith. This understanding of the film removed my hatred of the "You've got to be kidding me; they were killed by WATER!" concept. In fact, the priest's daughter had been referred to as "holy" (as revealed during Mel's key monologue)–recognized by all who saw her at her birth as "an Angel;" and her quite particular relationship to water is shown to be very special and spiritual: In other words, she has placed vials of what are, essentially, HOLY WATER all around the house. (And the creature's reaction when coming in contact with this blessed liquid is EXACTLY like monsters/vampires being splashed by spiritual "acid.")

This view of the movie also explains the creature's actions: They act like superior tricksters, are not able to break in through closed doors, can be trapped behind simple wooden latches –all mythological elements of demons and vampire-like creatures of lore. It also explains the news over the radio at the end of the movie that an ancient method of killing the creatures has been found "in three small cities in the Middle East" - one would suspect the religious "hubs" of the three main Abrahamic traditions, each discovering the "mystic methods" of protection-and-dispatch that I’ve noted earlier.

Note also: All the Christian iconography throughout the movie, the references to "Signs and Wonders" (the true meaning of the title), the crucifix shapes hinted-at everywhere (check out the overhead shot, looking down on the street driving into town) and the ultimate fact that the entire movie is built around a Priest rediscovering he is not abandoned to a random, Godless, scientifically-oriented Universe but, rather, is part of a predicted and dreamed-of plan.

Now –these creatures may for all intents and purposes be some sort of extraterrestrial or inter-dimensional "aliens" –but the point of the movie seems to be that they are, in the ACTUALITY OF THE FILM WORLD, the dark stuff from which all the character’s tales of devils and night-creatures were born.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    How do I post a video I saw on facebook on here?
    No clue.
    I heart cock

Who here has seen M. Night Shyamalan's "Signs" recently? Or can remember it from back in the day? I just recently ran across this fan theory regarding the alien creatures. Pretty thought-provoking shit.
    I remember the movie, and that's some interesting shit about it, but damn.......it would have been nice to know this like a decade ago
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

^^^ We really need spoiler tags. They're so useful.
    I'm not even sure what you're talking about
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I remember the movie, and that's some interesting shit about it, but damn.......it would have been nice to know this like a decade ago
    Well it's just a fan theory. I guess the question is: Do you think they're onto something?
    I heart cock

I'm not even sure what you're talking about
    Spoiler tags are available on most forums now. Basically it's just a tag where it conceals everything inside the tags and the reader has to click a button to see it.
    I heart cock

I maintain that Signs is M Knight's best work to date as far as movies go. Did anyone check out Wayward Pines last year? I liked it a lot, aside from one key scene.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    I maintain that Signs is M Knight's best work to date as far as movies go. Did anyone check out Wayward Pines last year? I liked it a lot, aside from one key scene.
    I think Signs is really good, but I actually think The Village is his best. I understand I'm in the minority with that viewpoint, but I really do think it's a masterwork that is underappreciated and misunderstood. An excellent concept, excellent direction, excellent performances, an excellent score and absolutely gorgeous cinematography on the part of Roger Deakins.

M. Night himself is an underrated director. He's had some missteps, and sadly it seems like his best days may be behind him (though I always keep the door open for a resurgence), but The Village, Signs, The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are all great movies.

I have not yet seen Wayward Pines. For whatever reason the trailer just doesn't do much for me and I have never been a Matt Dillon fan. But since it's M. Night, I do intend to check it out eventually.
    I heart cock

MISSING:

Zak.jpg

If anyone has seen this man, PM SPX
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

^^^ BOL! Look at that motherfucker!
    I heart cock

That's an interesting theory, but, like most fan theories, it seems to be looking a lot deeper than was probably intended and looking for a theme where there is none. Basically I'm saying the movie still sucks.
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

BTW sup dorks
    Triple-six killers in this motherfucker runnin shit

Quote Originally Posted by zY| View Post
    BTW sup dorks
    Holy fucking shit, zY's in the house.

Can you believe we're even doing this shit?
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by zY| View Post
    That's an interesting theory, but, like most fan theories, it seems to be looking a lot deeper than was probably intended and looking for a theme where there is none. Basically I'm saying the movie still sucks.
    Really, you think Signs sucks? I wholly disagree, but that's another subject really.

As for the theory, you could be right. It's interesting how people can build these sorts of grand theories that, like you say, may have nothing to do with reality. If you want to see the ultimate example of this, watch Room 237 if you haven't already.

But then again, on the other hand, I think the dude makes a lot of interesting points and Shyamalan's work has always tended to have a religious tinge to it so it wouldn't shock me to learn that there's some actual truth here.
    I heart cock

Thought Signs was decent when I saw it, but I was like 20 years old. Haven't seen it since, I don't think

Speaking of movies, really haven't seen many good ones in the last 1-2 years
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Speaking of movies, really haven't seen many good ones in the last 1-2 years

I think 2015 has been pretty damn weak in terms of movies. But 2014 was good.

In 2014 we got Gone Girl, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Birdman, Boyhood, Edge of Tomorrow, Nightcrawler, just to name a few that come to mind.

And I'd like to give special attention to this bad boy:

I heart cock

The only one of the movies that I though was good is Nightcrawler. The rest..........
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP