Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Off Topic Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
    I can see RD not making the top 3 in favor of Kill Bill, but last? Come on, man. In no universe, parallel or not, does Reservoir Dogs belong lower than Death Proof. Death Proof barely had a cohesive plot. And while I did thoroughly enjoy Django, I just don't see it stacking up to the more "classic Tarantino" style films.

My list probably looks something like:

1. Reservoir Dogs
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Kill Bill
    4. Inglorious Basterds
    5. Django
    6. Jackie Brown
    7. Death Proof
    I'll at least grant you that Reservoir Dogs is probably a BETTER film than Death Proof. And I can't even really tell you why I don't like it. All I can say is that it just gives me a bad feeling for some reason.

But really, I'm not a big fan of Death Proof either and also not a HUGE fan of Django.

As far as I'm concerned, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Basterds and Jackie Brown make up his core catalog for me and those are the films of his that I really like to revisit.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by Éire View Post
    I guess I see what you're saying cause I didn't much like Jackie Brown but. . .
    JackieBrown is a curious one because it's the only QT film based on an existing property. And Quentin has even talked himself about how it's the one film of his that doesn't really feel like "his" film. But I have always enjoyed it. I've seen it many times.

HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU GONNA RATE RESERVOIR DOGS UNDER DEATH PROOF?
    See my reply to Ludo.

EDIT: My newly found neg trigger finger is itching.
    BOL! Uh oh.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    I'll at least grant you that Reservoir Dogs is probably a BETTER film than Death Proof. And I can't even really tell you why I don't like it. All I can say is that it just gives me a bad feeling for some reason.

But really, I'm not a big fan of Death Proof either and also not a HUGE fan of Django.

As far as I'm concerned, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Basterds and Jackie Brown make up his core catalog for me and those are the films of his that I really like to revisit.
    Maybe give it another shot and try to forget that you've seen it before? It's truly a fantastic film, chock full of great acting and phenomenal dialogue, and a great cast for it's time. Harvey Keitel is a grossly underrated actor. I get that it's all about personal preference, it just seems like something went wrong for you while you were watching it, because I've never heard of anyone not liking Reservoir Dogs. I've heard people say they didn't like it as much as "insert QT movie X here", but I've never heard anyone say they flat out didn't like Reservoir Dogs.
    2013: +8.24u(increased unit size on 5/19)
    Favorites: 20-6 + 6.13u
    Underdogs: 10-19 -2.51u
    Ludo's Locks Parlay Project: +1.4u

2012: +20.311u

Maybe give it another shot and try to forget that you've seen it before? It's truly a fantastic film, chock full of great acting and phenomenal dialogue, and a great cast for it's time. Harvey Keitel is a grossly underrated actor. I get that it's all about personal preference, it just seems like something went wrong for you while you were watching it, because I've never heard of anyone not liking Reservoir Dogs. I've heard people say they didn't like it as much as "insert QT movie X here", but I've never heard anyone say they flat out didn't like Reservoir Dogs.
    I've seen it several times, but maybe I'll give it another shot because it's been several years since the last time. Like I said before, I don't think it's a BAD movie. It's just a movie that I don't enjoy watching. There's a difference there.

For a first-time director, it's a phenomenal achievement.
    I heart cock

Biblical shit flies just fine with me. I enjoyed "The Bible" mini series that History channel did. First off, how can you defend a film in which almost every fucking character was blonde haired, blue eyed, with a british accent, and european features?

I'm sorry, but my suspended disbelief only goes so far when they fuck up the easy shit. Steel fucking swords, that weren't even the right shape in some or all of the battle scenes, when they weren't even out of the Bronze age yet. Again, this is easy shit. Casting the Scot from Alien Vs Predator as an Egyptian when he has an accent thicker than Sean Connery's is the worst casting decision since they casted Connery as an Egyptian named Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez.

Spike recently had a mini series, Tut, which was worlds better than Ramses. And it didn't need a made up monkey shit storyline to be better, either.
    First, I'm surprised you liked The Bible. From what I know of you, it doesn't seem like your style. But I also liked it. And I also want to see Tut, so that one's on the list.

As for Exodus, it seems that most of your complaints are technical: The people aren't dark enough for you, the accents aren't right, the swords are made of steel (this one honestly didn't even begin to occur to me), etc. I didn't concern myself too much with all that. I thought it was an interesting story that was well-told and the movie also had some of the most beautiful visuals I had seen the whole year.

8/10
    I heart cock

JackieBrown is a curious one because it's the only QT film based on an existing property. And Quentin has even talked himself about how it's the one film of his that doesn't really feel like "his" film. But I have always enjoyed it. I've seen it many times.
    Honestly Jackie Brown is one of his weaker works, but that kind of gets made up for by having a stellar cast(think the Oceans 11 remake, but not nearly as bad to begin with). Not that it's a bad film, just that it needed to be redeemed in a way is what drops it on my list. None of the other films above it on my list needed to redeem themselves fundamentally. They were all sound at the core, except for Jackie Brown. But it gets a pass over Death Proof because it at least had that. Death Proof was basically Tarantino's mulligan. Spoiler alert inbound:

He got to do a passion project with a shitty cast of B-grade actresses and a faded star, that, more or less, takes place in a parallel universe where stuntmen just roams around trying to kill women in a plastic case he built into the passenger seat of his hot rod. It was too unbelievable to be taken seriously. Not that much of QT's work is necessarily and wholly "believable", but you know what I mean. It's in the same realm as Superman being way more plausible than Batman. Just too much perfect storm action going on to believe in it.

First, I'm surprised you liked The Bible. From what I know of you, it doesn't seem like your style. But I also liked it. And I also want to see Tut, so that one's on the list.

As for Exodus, it seems that most of your complaints are technical: The people aren't dark enough for you, the accents aren't right, the swords are made of steel (this one honestly didn't even begin to occur to me), etc. I didn't concern myself too much with all that. I thought it was an interesting story that was well-told and the movie also had some of the most beautiful visuals I had seen the whole year.

8/10
    I don't usually demand a full on 100% technically accurate depiction of things. Don't get me wrong. I like a little ironic spoofing in there sometimes. It's just that the little shit was so glaringly wrong right off the bat, and the final product in the grand scheme of things, really didn't impress me at all. It felt like another excuse to show the public how far special effects have come along when you throw $150,000,000 into one production.

To be fair, Noah was much, much worse.

Tut was awesome. They used actual kopesh swords, the people had the right features, everything looked much more historically accurate. And the story didn't need a whole lot of doctoring for dramatic effect. If you liked Ramses, Tut will blow you away, I think.

Honestly Jackie Brown is one of his weaker works, but that kind of gets made up for by having a stellar cast(think the Oceans 11 remake, but not nearly as bad to begin with). Not that it's a bad film, just that it needed to be redeemed in a way is what drops it on my list. None of the other films above it on my list needed to redeem themselves fundamentally. They were all sound at the core, except for Jackie Brown.
    I don't think it has the same flair that his other films do. It's a simpler, more grounded piece of fiction. But I don't really understand why you'd think it needed to be redeemed or that it wasn't sound at its core. I think it's fundamentally solid.

As an aside, I don't smoke weed anymore, but there was a short period of time where I was smoking weed every night and I watched Jackie Brown probably 15 times while blazed. It's a good blazed movie.

But it gets a pass over Death Proof because it at least had that. Death Proof was basically Tarantino's mulligan.
    Well, like I said, I don't think Death Proof is a great movie. It's just okay. I rarely feel the need to rewatch it, though I probably should soon, because it's been quite a while since I last checked it out and it's growing hazy in my memory.
    I heart cock

I don't usually demand a full on 100% technically accurate depiction of things. Don't get me wrong. I like a little ironic spoofing in there sometimes. It's just that the little shit was so glaringly wrong right off the bat, and the final product in the grand scheme of things, really didn't impress me at all. It felt like another excuse to show the public how far special effects have come along when you throw $150,000,000 into one production.
    Did you not at least think Joel Edgerton was great?

To be fair, Noah was much, much worse.
    Noah was an insane movie. Literally insane. The story is just fucking crazy. You know what kind of movie you're watching when the rocket launcher comes out. All bets are off at that point.

It's the kind of movie I'm glad I saw once, but I really suspect I will never watch it again.

Tut was awesome. They used actual kopesh swords, the people had the right features, everything looked much more historically accurate. And the story didn't need a whole lot of doctoring for dramatic effect. If you liked Ramses, Tut will blow you away, I think.
    But is Ben Kingsley really any more authentic than any other Brit?
    I heart cock

I don't think it has the same flair that his other films do. It's a simpler, more grounded piece of fiction. But I don't really understand why you'd think it needed to be redeemed or that it wasn't sound at its core. I think it's fundamentally solid.

As an aside, I don't smoke weed anymore, but there was a short period of time where I was smoking weed every night and I watched Jackie Brown probably 15 times while blazed. It's a good blazed movie.

Well, like I said, I don't think Death Proof is a great movie. It's just okay. I rarely feel the need to rewatch it, though I probably should soon, because it's been quite a while since I last checked it out and it's growing hazy in my memory.
    Never been a huge fan of smoking pot. Haven't done it with any kind of frequency since I was like 13-14. I just didn't feel like Jackie Brown had the same kind of quality that we had been given up to that point, and after that point, by and large, from Tarantio.

Did you not at least think Joel Edgerton was great?

Noah was an insane movie. Literally insane. The story is just fucking crazy. You know what kind of movie you're watching when the rocket launcher comes out. All bets are off at that point.

It's the kind of movie I'm glad I saw once, but I really suspect I will never watch it again.

But is Ben Kingsley really any more authentic than any other Brit?
    Noah was laughable to be honest. While watching it I literally started laughing during certain scenes. Like the fucking Neverending Story-esque rock angels, the rocket launcher, Beowulf stowing away on the Arc, Russel Crowe being a fat, alcoholic looking puffy faced Noah who didn't seem at all tortured by the choices he had to make in following God's will, etc etc etc.

I didn't like Joel as Ramses to be honest. He looked more like Ragnar Lothbrok than Ramses to me. It was just disappointing that they couldn't at least find someone who looked the part a little more. It seemed to me more that they let Christian Bale do most of the heavy lifting where performances were concerned, and you know I'm not a fan of Bale.

Kingsly played his part beautifully, and he has just the right look to play a multitude of parts. The only thing that ever betrays him is the accent, but he tends to put in work that sort of helps you forget he's British. He immerses himself so well.

On this we must disagree. Reservoir Dogs is the only QT movie that I just don't like and never feel the desire to rewatch.

My list:

1. Pulp Fiction
    2. Kill Bill (I consider them a single film)
    3. Inglourious Basterds
    4. Jackie Brown
    5. Django
    6. Death Proof
    7. Reservoir Dogs

Reservoir Dogs is the only QT movie I even like. The rest.......
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

And if I ever come back to this forum with several negs awaiting me again, I'll put this forum in the bottom of the ocean!!!!
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    And if I ever come back to this forum with several negs awaiting me again, I'll put this forum in the bottom of the ocean!!!!
    Which ocean?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    If I could neg you again, I would.
    I heart cock

By the way I can confirm that time travel is real. My Av is actually a picture taken of X in 25 years.

By the way I can confirm that time travel is real. My Av is actually a picture taken of X in 25 years.
    BOFL!!!!'
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

I didn't like Joel as Ramses to be honest. He looked more like Ragnar Lothbrok than Ramses to me.
    Ah, so you've been watching Vikings. In my opinion that is one of the very best shows on TV. In fact, for me it's probably #2 right behind Game of Thrones.

Kingsley played his part beautifully, and he has just the right look to play a multitude of parts. The only thing that ever betrays him is the accent, but he tends to put in work that sort of helps you forget he's British. He immerses himself so well.
    Kingsley has has an interesting career. Despite his talent, he'll be in ANYTHING. You give him money, he'll be in your shit.

One minute he'll be turning in an Oscar-calibur performance in something like Ghandi and the next he'll be slumming it in a straight-to-DVD video game movie like Bloodrayne.
    I heart cock

It's not out of the question.
    I heart cock

It's not out of the question.

Time isnt linear, we just perceive it that way
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP