PDA

View Full Version : Official Admits Mistake in Pittsburgh

spuddy999
11-17-2008, 12:00 PM
This just in... from the Pitssburgh Post-Gazette... http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08322/928592-66.stm

Steelers Notebook: Official admits mistake on play

"The Steelers won yesterday but those fans who bet on them not only lost, they were cheated out of their money.
Referee Scott Green admitted after the game that his crew not only blew a call that cost Troy Polamalu a touchdown on the final play, but they confirmed it by using instant replay...
After discussions and a replay review, the officials ruled there was an illegal forward pass and it had hit the turf and therefore the play was dead. A confused Green admitted afterward to a pool reporter that they were wrong.

'We should have let the play go through in the end, yes,'' Green said."

SUPER! So, why don't I feel any better? ::puke::

At least the Steelers got the win!

When my GIANTS were robbed by a blown call at the end of the 2002-03 Wildcard game in SF, our season was over!
Hold on, I gotta puke again... ::puke::

For those of you who don't remember, here's the offical statement that the Giants received from the NFL regarding that play (a 41 yd field goal attempt on third down, bad snap, incomplete pass attempted by the holder to an eligible downfield lineman)-

"Tam Hopkins, number 65, of the Giants lined up as the left guard and was illegally downfield on the pass attempt. The three flags thrown on this play were for this penalty.
Guard Rich Seubert, number 69, was an eligible receiver on Giants field goal attempts. This was reported to the officiating crew prior to the game as is routinely done prior to every game.
49ers defensive end Chike Okeafor interfered with Seubert downfield when he was attempting to catch Giants holder Matt Allen’s pass. This defensive pass interference penalty against the 49ers was not called.
If defensive pass interference had been called, there would have been offsetting penalties (ineligible receiver against the Giants and pass interference against the 49ers) with the down replayed at the original line of scrimmage, the San Francisco 23-yard line. Although time had expired, a game cannot end with offsetting penalties. Thus, the game would have been extended by one untimed down."

Yeah, still bitter about that one...

Perhaps THE FIX was in on that one, too...

WHY DOEN'T THIS SHIT GET REVIEWED UPSTAIRS (as we are promised it does in the last 2 min) BEFORE THE REF'S SAY 'BALLGAME OVER' ???

It really doesn't do anything but PISS PEOPLE OFF even more when this shit comes after the game!

Mr. IWS
11-17-2008, 01:23 PM
All you can do is hope your on the right side when they are fixing the game. That was some bullshit yesterday.

Mr. IWS
11-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Where was Tim Donaghy when all this went down?

LOL

Cusedenny
11-17-2008, 01:41 PM
I was watching that game as most of you were as well.

Fucking unbelievable is all i can say.

Im glad i had no $$ on that game. I feel bad for the ones that got screwed.

Its been a big discussion this am on ESPN First Take. Skip Bayless is very adamant about calling the NFL out on this error. I agree with him, there has to be an explanation.

Luke
11-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Where was Tim Donaghy when all this went down?

LOL

Didn't you know someone he was related to was on the refs staff in that game?

dtrain119
11-17-2008, 02:27 PM
The way I understand it is the play was called a legal TD on the field and they reversed it upstairs in the replay booth. That is the worst part of this deal that they did look at it on replay and reversed an obvious TD. It stinks to high heaven. Whatever that means.

All we can do is try and get it back tonight. Good luck everyone.

dtrain119
11-17-2008, 05:15 PM
By the way, interesting that penalties were 13 for Pittsburgh and 1 for San Diego. :burn:

timbob
11-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Shit happens. Personally I think it was an boneheaded honest mistake done in a rush to get the game over. I may be wrong.

spuddy999
11-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks, TImbob!

THAT'S THE POINT! Why the fuck are the ref's in such a rush to scream 'GAME OVER'?

Oh...I forgot about THE FIX...

I never used to believe - this one's changed my mind for good!

Too bad that insight won't help pick when it's gonna be on...OR Is it ALWAYS ON?

GoBlue
11-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Did not post as I was out of town, but lost when I thought I won

-1100 on the play!