PDA

View Full Version : 12-6-08

Mr. IWS
12-06-2008, 08:05 AM
DR.BOB

Cincinnati (-7.5) 26 HAWAII 24
08:30 PM Pacific Time Saturday, Dec-06 - Stats Matchup
Cincinnati has already wrapped up a BCS Bowl game by winning the Big East, so it may be tough for the Bearcats to see this as anything other than a vacation. Teams that play their last regular season game of the season in Hawaii are just 11-22 ATS as favorites in that game, including 2-12 ATS if they played the previous week and Hawaii is a .500 team or better, as is the case this in this game. In addition to the natural tendency to take things easy on the Island, the Bearcats also apply to a very negative 18-77-3 ATS road letdown situation while Hawaii applies to a 189-87-6 ATS home momentum situation. The Warriors have thrived since Greg Alexander took over at quarterback in week 9 against Nevada, going 4-1 straight up in those games. Aside from being better on a yards per pass play basis than the other Hawaii quarterbacks, Alexander also has thrown just 1 interception in those 5 games and has thrown just 3 picks for the season on 164 pass attempts (he threw 2 in the opener against Florida in relief). The other Hawaii quarterbacks have combined to throw 17 interceptions on 240 pass attempts, which is why Hawaii struggled the first half of the season despite being a pretty good team from the line of scrimmage. Hawaii is 0.1 yppl better than average offensively with Alexander at the helm and the Warriors are average defensively. That’s not great, but it’s probably good enough to compete with a less than focused Cincinnati team. The only problem with this game is that my math model favors Cincy by 10 points if they are focused and play their normal game, so I will not make Hawaii a Best Bets even with all the strong technical indicators. I’ll consider Hawaii a Strong Opinion at +7 points or more and I’d take Hawaii in a 2-Star Best Bet at +9 points or more.

Big Twelve Conference
Oklahoma (-16.5) 45 Missouri 35 (at Kansas City)
05:00 PM Pacific Time Saturday, Dec-06 - Stats Matchup
I lost my Best Bet on Oklahoma State as a dog against Oklahoma last week, but I still think it was a pretty good bet. After all, Oklahoma State averaged 7.1 yards per play and scored almost every time they didn’t turn the ball over (they punted just twice, but turned the ball over twice while Oklahoma had zero turnovers) while Oklahoma averaged 6.8 yppl and would have averaged 5.9 yppl if not for a 73 yard TD pass that was initially broken up by the Cowboys before miraculously landing in the hands of an Oklahoma receiver 15 yards down the field with a clear path to the endzone. Now the Sooners are a 16 ½ point favorite over a good Missouri team, which is a line that simply can’t be justified. Oklahoma has an outstanding offense that has averaged 7.2 yppl and 53 points per game against Division 1A opponents and the Sooners rate at 2.2 yppl better than average with quarterback Sam Bradford under center. Missouri’s defense is 0.3 yppl better than average, which is the same as the average of teams that Oklahoma has faced this season, so the Sooners should average around their standard 7.3 yppl in this game. Oklahoma’s defense, however, has been susceptible to good offensive teams this season and Missouri’s offense is the best that they have seen. The Tigers have averaged 7.3 yppl in 11 games against 1A competition (against teams that would allow 5.4 yppl to an average team) and their +1.9 yppl rating is almost as good as Oklahoma’s rating. Oklahoma’s defense, like Missouri’s defense, is 0.3 yppl better than average and the Sooners have allowed an average of 34 points to good offensive teams Texas, Nebraska, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State – and Missouri’s offense is better than all of those teams. The Sooners overall advantage from the line of scrimmage in this game is just 0.3 yppl – which works out to about 2 points with all else being equal. All else is not equal, however, as Oklahoma turns yards into points better than any team in the nation. Part of the reason for that is a +22 turnover margin, which is partly due to skill (Bradford has thrown just 6 interceptions this season) and partly due to luck, as the Soooners have only lost 2 fumbles all season while recovering 14 fumbles in 11 games against division 1 foes. Fumbles are 90% random in college football, so Oklahoma has been pretty fortunate to be +12 in fumble margin, which works out to about 4 points per game. Another reason for Oklahoma’s higher scoring efficiency is their incredibly good success rate on 3rd and 4th downs and the Sooners converted two 4th downs into touchdowns last week rather than settling for two field goals. One area where Oklahoma is not good is in special teams, as the Sooners have allowed 4 kick off return touchdowns this season, which could be a problem against Missouri’s Jeremy Maclin in this game. My math model projects Oklahoma with a 573 yards to 494 yards advantage and a +0.9 turnover advantage, which would result in about a 9 point margin even without factoring in special teams, which favor Missouri. My math model has a tendency to underestimate Oklahoma a bit since they score at a higher efficiency than a normal team would given the same yardage and turnover numbers. With that being the case I decided to run a model based on compensated points and adjusted for random events such as the Sooners’ +12 in fumble margin, and I got Oklahoma by 9 points with a total of 79 ½ points. Even if Oklahoma is their normal +1 in fumble margin that model would still favor the Sooners by only 12 points. Another way to look at the math using only points is to use margin of victory averages and schedule strengths. Oklahoma played a schedule of Division 1A teams that is 7.0 points better than average and they out-scored those teams by 26.1 points per game, which makes them +33.1 points better than average based purely on scoring. Missouri faced a schedule of 1A teams that is 4.1 points better than average and the Tigers out-scored those teams by an average of 17.8 points, which makes them +21.9 points better than average based purely on points. The difference in those point margin ratings is 11.2 points. But, that assumes that Oklahoma will be +2 in turnover margin in this game (since they average +1.9 in turnovers while Missouri averaged -0.2 in TO margin), which is very unlikely since past fumbles don’t correlate very highly with future fumbles and a big part of Oklahoma’s turnover margin is their +1.1 in fumbles. That prediction also assumes that the Sooners will continue to covert visits to the redzone into touchdowns at an 87% rate, which is also unlikely (Missouri has a great offense and they are at 72% touchdown rate in redzone visits, which is outstanding). So, Oklahoma should still only be favored by 11 points in this game even if the Sooners are as fortunate with turnovers and redzone scoring as they’ve been. The line on this game should be 9 points and 16 ½ points is simply way too high regardless of what kind of math you do, so Missouri is clearly the percentage side to take in this game. My only hesitation is a 14-0 ATS situation that I discovered when I was querying how teams that have scored 50 points or more in 3 or more consecutive games tend to do in their next game. The answer is as follows. Teams that have scored 50 points or more in 3 or more consecutive games are 14-0 ATS laying 21 points or less (or getting points) against a conference opponent that played the previous week. That is the only thing keeping me from making Missouri a Best Bet in this game and I’m still close to pulling the trigger on this game even with that trend favoring the Sooners. I’ll consider Missouri a Strong Opinion at +14 ½ points or more based on the line value.

Conference USA Conference
TULSA (-13.0) 36 East Carolina 29
09:00 AM Pacific Time Saturday, Dec-06 - Stats Matchup
Tulsa has one of the best offensive units in the nation even after adjusting for the low level of the defensive they’ve faced, but the Golden Hurricane are not so Golden on the defensive side of the ball and Pirates’ veteran quarterback Patrick Pinkney can take advantage of that unit and keep this game competitive. Tulsa has averaged an incredible 7.8 yards per play and 49.3 points per game against a schedule of teams that would combine to allow 6.0 yppl and 35.4 points per game to an average team, but East Carolina’s defense - although 0.1 yppl worse than average since losing star LB Quentin Cotton in week 3 – is significantly better than what Tulsa is used to facing. Tulsa has faced 4 mediocre defensive teams in their last 5 games (UCF, Arkansas, Houston, Marshall) and were held to an average of 35 points in those games, which should be about what they get here. East Carolina’s offense is 0.5 yppl worse than average thanks to a horrible rushing attack, but Pinkney is an above average passer and Tulsa has allowed 6.9 yards per pass play to quarterbacks that would combine to average just 5.3 yppp against an average team. The Hurricanes are 1.0 yppl worse than average defensively overall and my math model projects 386 yards at 6.0 yppl for the Pirates in this game. My math favors Tulsa by only 10 points in this game and East Carolina is 18-4 ATS as an underdog of 3 points or more under coach Skip Holtz, including two straight up wins this season over Virginia Tech and West Virginia. I’ll consider East Carolina a Strong Opinion at +11 points or more.

FLORIDA INTL. (-7.0) 28 Western Kentucky 16
04:00 PM Pacific Time Saturday, Dec-06 - Stats Matchup
Western Kentucky is 0-9 straight up against Division 1A teams this season and Florida International continues to be underrated. The Panthers lost by 7 points in overtime as a 4 point dog last week against Florida Atlantic, and they are 6-3-1 ATS in their other 10 games this season. FIU has a horrible rushing attack (3.7 yards per rushing play), but quarterback Paul McCall and WR T.Y. Hilton (969 yards at 24.8 ypc) are a big play tandem that should come up with a game changing play or two in this game. Overall, Florida International is average throwing the ball (which is good for a Sun Belt team) and 0.6 yards per play worse than average offensively, but the Panthers are 0.1 yppl better than average defensively, allowing just 5.2 yppl to teams that would combine to average 5.3 yppl against an average team. That unit should control a Western Kentucky offense that has averaged just 4.7 yppl and 13.3 points per game in 9 games against Division 1A opponents that would allow 5.6 yppl and 27.6 points to an average offensive unit. The Hilltoppers aren’t horrible on defense (0.4 yppl worse than average), but Florida International should score enough points to win this game by 7 points or more. My math model projects the Panthers as a 56.5% play at -7 points and I’ll consider Florida International a Strong Opinion at -7 points or less.

Pittsburgh 24 CONNECTICUT (-3.0) 21
09:00 AM Pacific Time Saturday, Dec-06 - Stats Matchup
Connecticut has just one win over a good team this season, a 40-16 home win over Cincinnati that was mostly the result of a +6 in turnover margin. Pittsburgh, meanwhile, has beaten Iowa, won at South Florida, and upset West Virginia last week. The Huskies do have a good defense (4.8 yards per play allowed to teams that would combine to average 5.4 yppl against an average team) and a good rushing attack (5.4 yards per rushing play), but Pitt defends the run well (4.4 yprp allowed to teams that would combine to average 5.0 yprp) and U Conn quarterback Tyler Lorenzen isn’t good enough to beat the Panthers through the air (just 5.0 yards per pass play against teams that would combine to allow 6.1 yppp to an average QB). Overall, Pitt’s defense rates at 0.4 yppl better than average and the Panthers have a more balanced attack that is average running the ball and a bit better than average throwing it with Bill Stull at quarterback. My math model favors Pitt by 1 ½ points in this game and the Panthers apply to a solid 96-40-1 ATS last game revenge situation. I’ll consider Pittsburgh a Strong Opinion at +1 or more.

Mr. IWS
12-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Larry Ness' Las Vegas Insider (Army/Navy)

Larry and his "unmatched" contacts are going 'patriotic' with their final Las Vegas Insider of CFB's regular season. Larry has a HUGE final weekend planned with a 10* and 9* on tap plus one of his classic Superstar Triple Plays (see bio), including Ala/Fla! However, the weekend opens with Larry's Las Vegas Insider on Army/Navy. Want in?

Navy

Larry's 10* Conf Champ GOY (12-5 Nov run)

Nov was a 'money' month for Larry in FB, as his high-end releases (9 and 10*s) went 12-5 (70.6%) in CFB and the NFL, combined. He has every intention of carrying his Nov 'mojo' into Dec and it begins Saturday with his 10* Conf Champ GOY. If you are playing just one conference championship game this weekend, "this should be it!"

Tulsa

Larry Ness' Sun Belt Conf 9* (12-5 Nov run)

"Better late than never," especially when there is a "diamond in the rough," waiting. Enough with the cliches! Larry has yet to play a SBC game all year but he's not about to pass up this opportunity. Join this 25-yr vet as he looks to extend his 12-5 Nov run with 'high-end' FB plays into the month of Dec with this SBC 9*. Get it now

Troy

Larry's Superstar Triple Play

Larry's bio provides a history of his Superstar Triple Play. Want a current update? His Superstar Triple Play on 11/22 went 3-0 with Purdue, Utah and Okla winning by the combined scores of 175-55! LW, he switched to the NFL and won again, led by easy wins on Car/GB over and Min. Don't miss Saturday's 3-in-1 report, including Ala/Fla!

Revenge Game of the Month 15* West Va.

Underdog Shocker 15* Hawaii.

SEC Championship Game Showdown 15* Alabama.

Larry Ness Hoops

[b]
Larry Ness' 7* Daytime Dominator: 68.8% run[/B

Larry got things started last Saturday with George Mason taking care of Ohio U. That Daytime Dominator win sparked a 3-0 CBB Saturday, all part of his current 22-10-1 run in college hoops since Nov 20. "The winning continues" this afternoon with Larry's latest Daytime Dominator, a game with "blowout written all over it!"

Georgia Tech

Larry Ness' 7* Rivalry Rout-CBB (68.8% run)

Larry's on a 22-10-1 (68.8%) run in CBB s/Nov 20 and there's more winning on tap today. He had great success LY on CBB Saturdays, which makes sense. It's always a big card and this 25-year vet gets to 'cherry-pick' his spots. Larry went 3-0 last Saturday and looks for a "repeat performance," today. Don't miss this one, his 7* Rivalry Rout!

BYU Cougars

Mr. IWS
12-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Brandon Lang

30 Dime Alabama - Analysis on these two winners by 7 p.m. Friday night

10 Dime 6-Point Teaser Army, Arizona and Troy -

Mr. IWS
12-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Joe Gavazzi (PPP)

CAT OF THE WEEK

ARIZONA (-11) over Arizona State (11:30 pm ESPN)

Joe Gavazzi (PPP)

BIG EAST GAME OF THE WEEK

Pittsburgh (+3) over CONNETICUT (Noon ESPN)

Joe Gavazzi (PPP)

BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP
GORILLA OF THE WEEK

Oklahoma (-16) over Missouri (8:00 ABC)

Mr. IWS
12-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Larry's Superstar Triple Play

Larry's bio provides a history of his Superstar Triple Play. Want a current update? His Superstar Triple Play on 11/22 went 3-0 with Purdue, Utah and Okla winning by the combined scores of 175-55! LW, he switched to the NFL and won again, led by easy wins on Car/GB over and Min. Don't miss Saturday's 3-in-1 report, including Ala/Fla!

Revenge Game of the Month 15* West Va.

Underdog Shocker 15* Hawaii.

SEC Championship Game Showdown 15* Alabama.

Mr. IWS
12-06-2008, 10:44 AM
BEN BURNS

I'm taking the points with MISSOURI. Naturally, this is a huge game for both teams. The Sooners are out to prove that they deserve to be here and are hoping a big win will lead to a date in the national title game. The Tigers are out to get themselves a better bowl game and to earn some payback after Oklahoma handed them their only two losses last season and kept them from playing for the national title. Its true that the Sooners come in as the hotter team and that they've been extremely impressive in recent weeks. Those results have caused this line to be extremely high though and I feel that its become too high. Missouri is an extremely dangerous team. Keep in mind that the Tigers were considered a national title contender for a good part of the season. While Oklahoma's Sam Bradford has been excellent, Missouri's Chase Daniel is no slouch either. Indeed, Daniel was a Heisman frontrunner for much of the season. Indeed, Daniel has completed an awesome 75.1 percent of his passes for 3,880 yards and 34 touchdowns. Overall, the Tigers are averaging 45 points and 509.4 yards per game. Those numbers aren't quite as impressive as Oklahoma's 53.4 ppg and 556.7 ypg but they're not that far off either. Speaking of Bradford, he's currently not 100% and is expected to be playing with a soft cast. Last week, the injury caused him to fumble two snaps. Stoops said of his star quarterback: "He actually tore ligaments in his non-throwing hand in the third series. In all likelihood, he'll have surgery on it after the Big 12 Championship game." The Tigers are 5-3 ATS the last eight times they were coming off a conference loss and 5-2 ATS the last seven times that they played on a neutral field. During the same stretch, the Sooners have gone just 2-5 ATS when playing on a neutral field. The Sooners were only laying three points when these teams met at the Alamodome last season. Now, they're being asked to lay roughly an extra two touchdowns here at Arrowhead. I feel that is asking too much and believe that we'll see a highly motivated Missouri team trade punches with them the entire way. *Conference Championship GOY

Mr. IWS
BEN BURNS

I'm taking the points with UCLA. Obviously, with a pointspread in the 30s, USC is the stronger team. That being said, I feel that this is far too many points for them to be laying for a road game against a hated rival. I played on the Bruins in 2006, the last time they hosted the Trojans, and they won that game outright. While the Bruins' admittedly weak offense makes another outright upset unlikely, their stingy defense gives them a much better chance of keeping competitive than most think. The Bruins have had a disappointing season and they were blown out 34-6 last week. However, a closer look at the stats from that game show that the Bruins actually played much better on defense than the score indicates. In fact, the Sun Devils' defense scored all four of their team's touchdowns and the ASU offense managed only two field goals and a mere 122 total yards. Pete Carroll said of that performance: "DeWayne Walker is a really good football coach. He has had tremendous success. You can't tell by the score, but the defense played like crazy (at ASU). They looked loaded up, fired-up, well-schooled, great intensity and all that. That's what gives any team a chance to beat somebody." Including a cover at USC last season, the Bruins are 3-1 ATS their last four December games. During the same stretch, the Trojans were 0-2 ATS in December. Looking back further and we find them at just 2-7 ATS their last nine December games. While the Trojans need a win to secure the Pac 10, they still have a much bigger bowl game on deck. On the other hand, this is the final game of the year for the Bruins and I expect them to go out by giving their best effort. As coach Neuheisel said: "Since this will be our last game, there is no reason to leave anything on the shelf." Look for an inspired effort as the defense keeps the Bruins, 10-2 ATS the last 12 times they were coming off a conference loss, in it much longer than most are expecting. *Pac 10 GOM

Mr. IWS
BEN BURNS

I'm laying the points with UCONN. I've had some success with the Panthers this season and I successfully played on them in last week's win over West Virginia. I also successfully played against the Huskies in their last game, a four point loss at South Florida. However, this afternoon, its the Huskies who have both homefield and a scheduling advantage. While the Panthers are off their hard fought emotional win over the Mountaineers last weekend, the Huskies haven't played since the Nov. 23rd loss at South Florida. Note that they're 4-2 ATS the last six times they were coming off a bye and a profitable 7-2 ATS the last nine times they were coming off a conference loss. The Huskies are a perfect 5-0 ATS the last five times that they were favored by four points or less. They're also a profitable 14-5 ATS the last 19 times that they were favored overall. The Huskies are 3-1 SU/ATS against the Panthers the past four years, including 2-0 SU/ATS the last two. This is the final home game for the Huskies' seniors and I look for them to give a huge effort and defeat the Panthers for the third year in a row. *annihilator

Mr. IWS
12-06-2008, 10:45 AM
BEN BURNS

I'm taking the points with HAWAII. One could easily argue that this game isn't that important to either team. The Bearcats have already won the Big East and clinched a BCS berth while the Warriors have already accepted an invitation to play in the Hawaii Bowl. That being said, I feel that the Warriors will have an easier time getting up for tonight's game. Yes, the Bearcats have been playing very well and want to keep the positive momentum rolling. However, having just achieved such a major accomplishment and with the biggest game in the history of these kids' lives coming up on deck, I feel it will be easy to get caught looking ahead and also to be distracted by all that Hawaii has to offer. Note that Cincinnati has played six road games this season and only one of them (at Marshall) resulted in a win of greater than eight points. While the Bearcats, who are 0-3 ATS the last three times they were road favorites in the -7.5 to -10 range, just had to make the long trip, the Warriors are playing their third straight game here. Coach Greg McMackin made the following comment about his team's motivation level: "This is our BCS game on Saturday. We want to redeem ourselves against a good team." The Warriors are 3-0 ATS the last three times that they were underdogs and 11-7 ATS the last 18 times that that they were underdogs of eight points or less. Look for an inspired effort, leading to (at least) a pointspread victory. *non-conf. Main Event

Mr. IWS
12-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Larry Ness's GOY (Game of the Year) is T-U-L-S-A!

Mr. IWS
12-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Wayne Root

Chairman- Va Tech
Millionaire- So Florida
Money Maker- Army
No Limit- UConn
Billionaire- Missouri

CBB
Money Maker- Boise St
No Limit- UNLV

Mr. IWS
12-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Big Al-
NBA

3* charlotte

CBB

3* Michigan

3* Va Commonwealth

3* Hofstra

3* Evansville

CFB

1* Va tech

1* Alabama

1* Missouri

Mr. IWS
12-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Ness adding:

Larry's Las Vegas Insider-CBB (22-10-1)

Cal State Fullerton

Mr. IWS
12-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Dr. Bob

Vanderbilt (+5 1/2) 2-Stars at +5 or more, 3-Stars at +6.
Southern Illinois (-6) 2-Stars at -6 or less.
Northwestern (-6 1/2) 3-Stars at -7 or less, 2-Stars up to -8.
Washington State (-2 1/2) 3-Stars at -4 or less, 2-Stars up to -5.