PDA

View Full Version : 1-3-09

Mr. IWS
01-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Spreitzer Bowl GOY
Take " (262) CONNECTICUT "
I'm laying the points with Connecticut, my Bowl Game of the Year. Five MAC programs made it to a bowl game this season, four from the stronger West division. The first three have already played, and none looked truly qualified offensively to be playing in late December. CMU, WMU, and NIU combined for a grand total of just 45 points in their three losses to FAU, Rice, and Lousiana Tech. Buffalo, from the less difficult East division, draws arguably the toughest physical challenge yet. UConn owns a huge advantage on the defensive side of the football, and the offense gets "just what the doctor ordered" from the Buffalo defense. First of all, the Bulls are here thanks in part to their opponents' miscues. The win over Ball State was about as "phony" as it gets. Buffalo was out-gained by over 200 yards, but BSU couldn't hang onto the football with five turnovers leading to 28 Buffalo points. The Bulls' offense ranks in the second half of the NCAA as far as talent is concerned. They're going to have to line up against a Husky defense that ranks in my top-25 in the nation. UConn allowed just 3.5 yards per carry and just 117 rypg. The D-line, especially DE's Williams and Brown put relentless pressure on opposing signal-callers. The Bulls obviously want to run the ball first with RB Starks, to set up the passing game and QB Willy. But as mentioned above, UConn is quite stingy against the run or pass. In fact, they allowed just 282 typg this season. Offensively, UConn will pound the ball at a small defensive front. The Bulls give up 4.6 yards per carry and the defense ranks in my bottom-third in college football overall. UConn RB Donald Brown ran for over 18-hundred yards this season and should have little trouble running behind his bigger offensive line. As far as the pass defense is concerned, Buffalo has a grand total of just 12 sacks this season. While UConn is not known for their passing game, QB Lorenzen should have plenty of time to pick apart a weak Buffalo secondary when needed. The Bulls allowed a 66% completion rate this season along with 250 pypg and 17 TDs with just 8 picks. It's no wonder the secondary suffered so much. With no pass rush from the front seven, the DBs are going to be under constant pressure. Let's not forget, that despite returning 18 starters from last year's squad, Buffalo began the season just 2-5 SU, which included a 35-yard pass on the final play of the game to inch by Temple. Three other wins in the second half of the season came in overtime, including a 3-point win over hapless Army, a 3-point win over defenseless Akron, and a come-from-behind OT win over mediocre Bowling Green. The Bulls were actually outgained in four of their wins this season. So, while being a big fan of Coach Gill, I must admit, in a sense, his team, with all of those returning starters and a lot of preseason hype, didn't quite meet preseason expectations. That may seem like an unfair statement considering where this program was when Gill took over, but it is the cold, hard fact. Then, during bowl preparations while trying to get focused for a more talented and stronger Big East opponent, the team had to deal with the distraction of their HC interviewing for a few other jobs, including Syracuse, and of course, the fiasco at Auburn. Taking on UConn was already going to be imposing on its own. Having to do so in the environment they have been in makes it even tougher. The Big East has won both meetings with the MAC since the International Bowl's inception two seasons ago, including Rutgers 52-30 thrashing of Ball State a year ago. I believe Buffalo's offense is in a heap of trouble in this one, and their small-ish defense will wear down throughout the contest. I have UConn winning by 17-to-20 points. My Bowl GOY is a play on the Connecticut Huskies on Saturday. Thanks! GL! Scott.

Mr. IWS
01-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Larry Ness

Sat, 01/03/09 - 4:30 PMLarry Ness | NFL Total
triple-dime bet102 ARI / 101 ATL Over 50.5 Betjamaica.com
Analysis:
The very first game of this year's NFL postseason carries two terrific storylines. The Falcons were a franchise in complete turmoil after a 4-12 2007 season (do I really need to explain?). Atlanta began the '08 season with a rookie head coach in Mike Smith, a rookie QB in Matt Ryan and a lead RB (Turner) who had been LT's backup in San Diego (signed as a FA). All the Falcons accomplished in 2008's regular season was to go 11-5 in the NFL's most competitive division (NFC South teams won 40 games, more than any other division), missing out on the NFC's No. 2 seed only when Carolina's John Kasay made a 42-yard FG with 00:01 left in the Panthers' 33-31 win at New Orleans in Week 17. As for the Arizona Cardinals, they ended the longest active playoff drought in the NFL, qualifying for the postseason for the first time since 1998. The Cards won the NFC West at 9-7, giving the franchise its first division crown since 1975 (when in St Louis) and Saturday, the Cards will host their first home playoff game since the 1947 NFL championship game. The Falcons are a very small road favorite in this game and my initial thought was to go with Arizona, which has been a tough 'out' here in the desert. Arizona QB Kurt Warner has led two teams into the Super Bowl (the '99 and '01 St Louis Rams) and has had a resurgent season in 2008, completing 67.1 percent of his passes for 4,583 yards with 30 TDs and 14 INTs. As good a season as Ryan has had (more on that later), this is his first playoff start (on the road, no less) and of course this will be also be Mike Smith's first playoff game as well. However, after careful consideration, I believe going 'over the total,' is the much stronger play in this game, despite the high number. Atlanta is somewhat vulnerable to the run but so what? The Cards rank dead-last in rushing this season, averaging 73.6 YPG (3.5 YPC). Yes, Edgerrin James had 100 yards last week vs Seattle, but let's face it, he's been 'washed up' for years. Arizona will win or lose this game on Warner's arm. Boldin (89 catches / 1,038 yards / 11 TDs) sat out last week but he is expected to play, meaning Warner has three, 1,000-yard receivers for this game. Fitzgerald caught 96 passes this year for 1,431 yards (12 TDs) and Breaston added 77 catches for 1,006 yards (just three TDs). The Atlanta pass D is middle-of-the-pack and Warner and Co. are capable of bringing any defense "to its knees" (or die trying!). We all know Arizona's story this year, the Cards went 0-5 SU (0-4-1 ATS) in Eastern time zone games, going 9-2 (8-3 ATS) in all other games. However, let's also note that the Cards feasted on their pathetic NFC West members, winning all six division games, while going 3-7 outside the division, losing four of seven by 21 points or more. Frankly, the Falcons are a much better team but with a rookie QB and a rookie coach, I'm still a shaky laying points on the road (even one!). That being said, why shouldn't the Falcons be able to score? RB Turner was even "better than advertised," opening the season with a 220-yard game in Week 1 and closing it with a 208-yard effort in week 17. All told, he topped 100-yards in EIGHT of 16 games TY, running for 1,699 yards (4.5 YPC) and 17 TDs. His running has opened things up fro Ryan all year, as the rookie finished by completing 61.1 percent of his throws for 3,440 yards with 16 TDs and 11 INTs (87.7 QB rating). In NINE of 16 games he didn't throw an INT and he'll face a terrible Arizona pass D, which has allowed a league-high 36 TDs with just 13 INTs. The Cards got 31 sacks but just 10 over the season's last eight games. Ryan will have plenty of time to throw to White (88 / 15.7 YPC / 7 TDs) and *******, who had four or more catches in SIX of the team's last six games. Getting back to Arizona, the Cards scored 29 points or more in all but ONE of their eight home games TY, averaging 30.3 PPG. This game has all the makings of a shoot-out and I prefer not to be worried which team gets the ball last. Wild Card Total of the Year 20* Atl/Arz Over.

Mr. IWS
01-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Big Al

At 4:30 pm, our selection is on the Arizona Cardinals and Atlanta Falcons 'under' the total, as the 'under' falls into two playoff totals systems of mine which are 21-7 (including 7-0 when the line is 43+ points), and 71-47. The Atlanta Falcons' offense generated a lot of points at home this season, and scored at least 20 points in all but one of their home games. But on the road, the Falcons only averaged 19 points per game (compared to 30 points at home). Atlanta also went 'under' the total in four of its five games this season vs. opponents which went on to make the playoffs. Arizona's defense also has played MUCH BETTER at home than on the road, as the Cardinals surrendered an average of 31 ppg on the road (compared to just 22 ppg at home). And Arizona's offense averaged less than 23 ppg vs. teams that made the playoffs this season. Finally, dating back to December 29, 2002, Atlanta has played just 14 of its last 52 road games 'over' the total! Take the 'under' on Saturday afternoon.

At 8 pm, our NFL Playoff Total of the Year is on the 'under' in the San Diego/Indianapolis game, as it falls into my best totals system which is 120-67 since 1980. The Chargers scored 52 points last week, but that was against a pathetic Denver defense. The Colts' defense, on the other hand, held San Diego to 20 points in Indy's 23-20 win back on November 23. And the Colts have given up 10.8 points per game over their last five contests! The Chargers went 8-8 this season, but played only five games vs. playoff teams (Carolina, Pittsburgh, Indy, Atlanta, and Miami). In those five games, San Diego averaged just 16 points per game (compared to 32.6 ppg vs. non-playoff teams). Not surprisingly, four of the Chargers' five games vs. playoff teams went 'under' the total (compared to a 7-3-1 mark 'over' the total vs. non-playoff teams). The Colts played four of their six games 'under' the total against teams that went on to make the playoffs, and gave up an average of just 14.8 ppg in those six games, while scoring just 23.3 ppg. The Colts have gone 'under' in five of their last seven playoff games, and the Chargers have gone 'under' in eight of their last 11 in the post-season. Look for another low-scoring contest here.

At 12 Midnight, our selection is on the Hawaii Warriors minus the points over Boise State. Last year, the Broncos defeated Hawaii three times, including 80-74 in the Conference tournament. But with triple revenge, the Warriors fall into a 47-23 ATS system of mine that plays on certain teams to avenge three losses from the previous season. Boise State has played four road games this season, and has been less than impressive. On November 17, Siena drilled Boise 82-52, and on December 10, BYU crushed the Broncos 94-56. Then, on December 20, Boise won its first road game, but barely, with a 66-62 victory over Cal-State Bakersfield. And Boise also won 75-72 at San Diego. Hawaii has won eight of its last nine on the island, and boasts the leading scorer in the WAC so far -- junior Roderick Flemings, who is averaging 17.9 ppg. Flemings is also eighth in rebounding with 7 per game, and ninth in FG percentage (52.5%). Overall, the Warriors are outrebounding foes by 8.1 rebounds per game. Hawaii's strong inside game also leads to a lot of free throws, and the Warriors rank 2nd in the country with 267 free throws made (out of 360 attempts -- a WAC-best 74.2 percent). Hawaii is not a good three-point shooting team, but neither is Boise State. The Broncos lost Reggie Larry (19.4 ppg) and Matt Nelson (15.7 ppg) from the team that went 12-4 last season and shared in the regular season championship, before going on to win the WAC Tournament. Look for Hawaii to get the win tonight. NCAA Roadkill on the Warriors.

At 8 pm, our selection is on the BYU Cougars minus the points over Wake Forest, as BYU falls into a 67-27 ATS system of mine which fades certain teams off 5+ wins (Wake Forest is unbeaten this season). This will be a VERY DIFFICULT game for Dino Gaudio's Demon Deacons to win. BYU has the nation's longest home winning streak (53 games), and is 49-6 SU and 36-19 ATS its last 55 lined games at home vs. non-conference foes (including 24-6 ATS when favored by 15 points or less). And dating back to March 21, 2000, BYU is 99-10 straight-up at home (in games with pointspreads) and 67-39-3 ATS (compared to 56-77-3 ATS away from home in this timeframe). The Cougars are led by Lee Cummard (18.4 ppg) and Jonathan Tavernari (18.3 ppg), and have suffered just one loss this season: 76-75 to Arizona State in Phoenix. But the 14th-ranked Sun Devils are a very strong team, and just handed Stanford its first loss last night, 90-60. So, a 1-point loss to Arizona State is nothing to be ashamed of. Look for BYU to extend its home win streak to 54 games tonight with a blowout win over Wake Forest. Non-Conference Game of the Month on BYU.

Mr. IWS
01-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Ness

7* Daytime Dominator- Alabama

25 Club CBB- BYU

Mr. IWS
01-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Brandon Lang
Saturday winners 30-Dime Colts
5-Dime Buffalo
5-Dime Arizona
FREE - Colts/Chargers OVER (See daily video for your analysis)

Mr. IWS
01-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Ben Burns
NCAAF
5 units Buffalo
NFL
9 units Arizona
6 units SD/Indy under
5 units Atl/AZ under

Mr. IWS
01-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Root
Chairman-San diego
Millionaire GOY-Arizona
Chairman- TCU -6
Millionaire- Bradley +3
No Limit- Wash St -2

Mr. IWS
01-03-2009, 12:06 PM
ppp
5 conn

Mr. IWS
01-03-2009, 12:10 PM
PPP

5%U-Conn
3%Over (Atl.-Ariz.)

Mr. IWS
01-03-2009, 12:33 PM
ppp
4 idaho, unlv
3 md, james madison, cal fullerton, wis gb, mid tenn st

Mr. IWS
01-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Dr Bob strong opinion

Saturday Daytime College Opinion
West Virginia (-8 ½) over SETON HALL
West Virginia is proving to be a very good team this season thanks to a defense that ranks among the nation’s best and the Mountaineers should be well prepared for their Big East opener after getting a full week off. The Mounties apply to a solid 51-25-3 ATS well-rested road favorite situation and good teams are less likely to letdown as a road favorite in their conference opener. Seton Hall has played poorly in recent games without center John Garcia, who is a great rebounder and shot blocker that also has made more than 60% of his shots. Garcia is expected to return for this game, but my ratings still favor West Virginia by 10 points and I’ll lean with the Mountaineers at -10 points or less based on the favorable situation.

Mr. IWS
01-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Dr Bob

Cbb
4 Star Maryland -10 or less

Mr. IWS
01-03-2009, 03:58 PM
dr bob

I’ll take San Diego in a 2-Star Best Bet at -1 or better and for 3-Stars at +1 or more (the Chargers are a strong opinion from -1 ½ to -2 ½).

I’ll consider Arizona a Strong Opinion as an underdog or pick and I’d take the Cardinals in a 2-Star Best Bet at +3 points (at -1.25 odds or better).

I’ll consider Minnesota a Strong Opinion at +3 (at -1.10 odds or better) and I’d take the Vikings in a 2-Star Best Bet at +3 ½ at -1.15 odds or less. I also lean with the Under in this game.

I’d consider Miami a Strong Opinion at +4 points or more.

Mr. IWS
01-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Larry Ness

Las Vegas Insider - NBA

Denver Nuggets