PDA

View Full Version : Helio Gracie Dead

Luke
01-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Helio Gracie, the father of Gracie jiu-jitsu, is dead at the age of 95. Gracie passed in his sleep early Thursday in Itaipaiva, Rio de Janeiro, after he had been admitted to a local hospital a few days prior for stomach problems.

“He passed the way he always wanted to –- quick and fast,” said an immediate relative, who asked not to be identified. The relative said Gracie’s body would be buried on Thursday.

The youngest of Cesalina and Gastao Gracie’s eight children, he learned traditional jiu-jitsu by watching his brother, Carlos, teach it, but his small frame made it difficult for him to execute the moves. As a result, he adapted techniques to fit his limited physical ability and gave rise to modern-day Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

Gracie was involved in two legendary fights. He lost to Masahiko Kimura -- a man who outweighed him by some 80 pounds -- in 1951 when Carlos threw in the towel after Kimura broke Gracie’s arm with the shoulder lock that now bears his name. Four years later, Gracie fought former student Valdemar Santana for nearly four hours before losing.

His impact on the sport of mixed martial arts was profound. His son, Rorion, was credited with developing the concept that became the Ultimate Fighting Championship, and another of his sons, Royce, won the first two UFC tournaments in 1993 and 1994. Two other sons, Rickson and Royler, also competed in MMA.

Gracie is survived by his wife Vera; his sons Rickson, Royler, Rolker, Royce, Relson, Robin and Rorion; his daughters Rerika and Ricci, as well as numerous siblings, nieces, nephews, and grandchildren.

Luke
07-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Bump for SPX

SPX
07-27-2010, 08:17 PM
LOL

When's that shit dated?

MMA_scientist
07-27-2010, 08:17 PM
lol

Had I been here then, I would have posted in this thread...

Luke
07-27-2010, 09:28 PM
LOL

When's that shit dated?

Jan 2009 lol

Back then it was just me and Zak rocking the MMA forum

SPX
07-27-2010, 09:34 PM
^^^ Okay, well I confess, I didn't realize the old man had died. Who the fuck's the family patriarch now? Rorion?

MMA_scientist
07-27-2010, 09:46 PM
No, everyone hates Whorian. He sued his own family for teh rights to Gracie JJ (R)

Its all fractured now. Relson, Royce, Rickson and Royler are the next generation that is relevant. There were a bunch of of others (Helio had like 60 kids, and would impregnate the maids and stuff to grow his clan). Rickson is actually the son of a maid, that is why he is so genetically superior to the others.
Helio had 2 families that did not know about each other. Rickson did not meet Royce, Royler, etc until they were teens. The secret came out.

Personally, I think almost everyone respects Relson and his association.

But there is no leader anymore.

SPX
07-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Interesting.

I wasn't aware of any of that. Sounds like lots of drama. So the Gracie family isn't really the "Gracie family" anymore. . .

And what's up with Helio? Wasn't he Catholic or something and only supposed to fuck his own wife?

zY|
07-27-2010, 09:54 PM
^^^ Okay, well I confess, I didn't realize the old man had died. Who the fuck's the family patriarch now? Rorion?

Did you really not know he died?

Hell, UFC 94 opened up with "In memory of Helio Gracie" right there on the screen of the PPV.

SPX
07-27-2010, 09:58 PM

No, I'm not being sarcastic or anything.

zY|
07-27-2010, 10:00 PM

No, I'm not being sarcastic or anything.

LOL

I fucking hate you.

SPX
07-27-2010, 10:04 PM
LOL

I fucking hate you.

Dude, I don't regularly follow the exploits of the Gracie family. And besides, it was just last year. It's not like he died in '74.

zY|
07-27-2010, 10:05 PM
LOL

I fucking hate you.

Dude, I don't regularly follow the exploits of the Gracie family. And besides, it was just last year. It's not like he died in '74.

See now I don't even know if you're trolling me or not.

Well played imo.

Here you can have this.
::middles::

MMA_scientist
07-27-2010, 10:07 PM
The Gracie family tree is like a greek drama.

My favorite: Rolls Gracie was actually the family champion before he died and was actually said to be better than Rickson (the Gracies always had a champion that would fight challlenge matches, who was supposed to be the best Gracie; Rolls and later Rickson became champion). Rorion was always an average player. Rorion was Helio's favorite son though, and Rorion and Rolls had a rivalry. Helio was always disappointed that Rolls was so much better then Rorion (Rorion was the son of Helio's 2nd wife Vera while Rolls was Helio's nephew). Helio couldn't hack that none his progeny could not beat Rolls. When Rolls died in 1982, Helio had an outburst and screamed out that Rolls was not a real champion because he never had to fight anyone good. Helio had raised Rolls and supposedly loved him like a son, but he just coun't stand that his blood couldn't beat him, not even the mighty Rickson, who was quiet a bit younger.

Rolls was an innovator. He cross trained with Bob Anderson in wrestling and brought all of the freestyle wrestling stuff into their technique.

SPX
07-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Well played imo.

Here you can have this.

LOL

You have me cracking up over here.

The truth: I really, truly, did not know that the motherfucker had died.

zY|
07-27-2010, 10:11 PM
The Gracie family tree is like a greek drama.

My favorite: Rolls Gracie was actually the family champion before he died and was actually said to be better than Rickson (the Gracies always had a champion that would fight challlenge matches, who was supposed to be the best Gracie; Rolls and later Rickson became champion). Rorion was always an average player. Rorion was Helio's favorite son though, and Rorion and Rolls had a rivalry. Helio was always disappointed that Rolls was so much better then Rorion (Rorion was the son of Helio's 2nd wife Vera while Rolls was Helio's nephew). Helio couldn't hack that none his progeny could not beat Rolls. When Rolls died in 1982, Helio had an outburst and screamed out that Rolls was not a real champion because he never had to fight anyone good. Helio had raised Rolls and supposedly loved him like a son, but he just coun't stand that his blood couldn't beat him, not even the mighty Rickson, who was quiet a bit younger.

Rolls was an innovator. He cross trained with Bob Anderson in wrestling and brought all of the freestyle wrestling stuff into their technique.

Didn't Rolls fly a hang-glider into a mountain or something crazy like that?

And also what's up with Helio's name? Every single other Gracie is R something, pronounced with H, yet boss man said fuck the dumb shit I'm rolling with H.

zY|
07-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Well played imo.

Here you can have this.

LOL

You have me cracking up over here.

The truth: I really, truly, did not know that the motherfucker had died.

LOL ok.

Well it was kind of a big deal last year. Like Ron Burgundy.

SPX
07-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Scientist:

Just from what you say, it sounds like Helio was actually something of a dickhead. He cheats on his wives and shits on his nephew? What's that all about? And why is he in your avatar?

SPX
07-27-2010, 10:13 PM
And also what's up with Helio's name? Every single other Gracie is R something, pronounced with H, yet boss man said fuck the dumb shit I'm rolling with H.

LOL

Even Helio knew that real English was better.

SPX
07-27-2010, 10:14 PM
LOL ok.

Well it was kind of a big deal last year. Like Ron Burgundy.

I guess I wasn't paying attention.

I probably actually saw something about it, but for some reason, the Gracie family hasn't seemed relevant to me for a long time.

MMA_scientist
07-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Scientist:

Just from what you say, it sounds like Helio was actually something of a dickhead. He cheats on his wives and shits on his nephew? What's that all about? And why is he in your avatar?

He was somewhat of a cocksmack. He didn't cheat on his wife though. He and Carlson were open about there desire to create a clan and spread their seeds. I think his wices knew about it. As for Rolls, he regretted immediately, supposedly. It was a different time, Rickson was born in 1958... and it was Brazil.
When he was a yong man he went to prison for a few years for jumping a guy and cracking his skull. He really does seem like he was kind of shithead tbh in his younger days.

But most historical figures are crazy as hell.

I rep him in my AV because we were talking about the redbelt a few weeks back... and he is pretty much the founder of BJJ, so that carries some weight.

I am going to swap him out for Rolls now though.

MMA_scientist
07-27-2010, 10:28 PM
I probably actually saw something about it, but for some reason, the Gracie family hasn't seemed relevant to me for a long time.

They aren't really relevant in MMA, except to the extent that most fighters train in bjj, and every legit bjj trainer traces his lineage to either Helio or Carlson.

But in sport grappling, gi or no gi, the Gracie family is still totally relevant. I mean, there isn't much else.

Luke
07-27-2010, 10:32 PM

Hell, UFC 94 opened up with "In memory of Helio Gracie" right there on the screen of the PPV.

You think Kimo is dead so why is it so far fetched SPX didnt know Helio was dead? I mean this is SPX so...

SPX
07-27-2010, 10:32 PM
I mean this is SPX so...

What?

Luke
07-27-2010, 10:37 PM
What?

what ? what?

zY|
07-27-2010, 10:38 PM
You think Kimo is dead

LOL

So trolled.

Svino
07-27-2010, 11:00 PM
They aren't really relevant in MMA, except to the extent that most fighters train in bjj, and every legit bjj trainer traces his lineage to either Helio or Carlson.

Do you happen to know anything about the "Victor Gracie" saga? I know Vitor started fighting under the Gracie name, but stopped after it caused controversy with the rest of the Gracies. One rumor I heard was that they didn't want Vitor associated with the Gracie name, because he did too much striking and therefore wouldn't be a good representative for BJJ. I don't know if that version is true, but I would find it funny if the Gracie family chased away their shot at having a great MMA fighter under their name for that reason.

MMA_scientist
07-27-2010, 11:05 PM
^^ Never heard that. But Vitor still considers himself a bjj fighter for some reason. Even after he Ko'd Linland (I think it was linldand), he ran around the ring shouting "jiu jitsu!"

But I have never heard of a totally unrelated guy using the Gracie name. Roger's real last name is Gomes, but his mom is a Gracie, so he is related.

Is Vitor related?

SPX
07-27-2010, 11:06 PM
Do you happen to know anything about the "Victor Gracie" saga? I know Vitor started fighting under the Gracie name, but stopped after it caused controversy with the rest of the Gracies. One rumor I heard was that they didn't want Vitor associated with the Gracie name, because he did too much striking and therefore wouldn't be a good representative for BJJ. I don't know if that version is true, but I would find it funny if the Gracie family chased away their shot at having a great MMA fighter under their name for that reason.

Seems I might have heard something about that. My question would be why Vitor wouldn't want to fight under his own name.

SPX
07-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Even after he Ko'd Linland (I think it was linldand), he ran around the ring shouting "jiu jitsu!"

LOL

Didn't he do that shit after he (sort of) TKOd Wanderlei way back in the day?

I should go choke someone out and run around shouting "taekwondo! taekwondo!"

Svino
07-27-2010, 11:33 PM
Is Vitor related?

I don't think so. Supposedly, the discussion was about Carlson "adopting" Vitor.