PDA

View Full Version : 2-7-09

02-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Burns NCAA

UNDER UCLA/Notre Dame

Game: Notre Dame vs. UCLA Game Time: 2/7/2009 1:00:00 PM Prediction: under Reason: I'm playing on UCLA and Notre Dame to finish UNDER the total. Recent results have given us an extremely generous over/under number here, one which I feel is too high. Yes, the Bruins have seen several consecutive games finish above the number. However, none had a total nearly this high. Their last game, which was vs. USC on 2/4, finished above the total. However, that total was just 130.5 and the teams finished with 136 points. In fact, if we look back at UCLA's last 20 games, we find that NONE of them had an over/under line greater than 144. Granted, the Irish have been playing in some high-scoring games recently. However, this is even a high total for them, as their last two games both had over/under lines in the mid 140s. While the Irish are certainly capable of putting up a lot of points, they've also been limited to less than 65 points in two of their last four games. They'll face a tough UCLA defense this afternoon. Always known for their defense prowess, the Bruins have held seven of their last eight opponents to 66 points or less and they're allowing only 58.7 points per game at home for the season. These teams have played each other three times since 1995. Those games finished with 141, 135 and 140 points. Overall, UCLA has seen the UNDER go 11-4 its last 15 games against teams from the Big East. During the same stretch, Notre Dame has seen the UNDER go a perfect 5-0 vs. teams from the Pac-10. Look for this afternoon's game to prove lower-scoring than most are expecting once again, with the UNDER improving to 60-40 the last 100 UCLA non-conference games which had a total. *Blue Chip
DUQUESNE

Game: Xavier vs. Duquesne Game Time: 2/7/2009 7:00:00 PM Prediction: Duquesne Reason: I'm taking the points with DUQUESNE. Yesterday, I successfully played against Marquette. The Golden Eagles were red hot and had an undefeated record in conference play. Yet, the lightly regarded South Florida Bulls proved to "want it more," and earned the outright upset. I felt that Marquette might become a little complacent and overlook the Bulls and I feel that the same thing may happen with "red hot" Xavier here. While I respect the Musketeers, with every successive victory, they are being asked to lay larger and larger pointspreads. Like Butler recently and Marquette yesterday, I feel that the Musketeers have become over-valued. Like South Florida yesterday, I believe that Duquesne is somewhat underrated. Like the Bulls, the Dukes have a hungry coach, still relatively new (Ron Everhart is in his third year here) with the program, looking for a "signature win." With the best team in the conference coming to town, I feel that Everhart's Dukes will be highly motivated to bring their "A Game." The Dukes are 9-3 their last 12 games. All three losses were by single-digits and two of them came in overtime. The Dukes, who are averaging greater than 83 points per game in conference play, were 13 point underdogs the last time that they hosted the Musketeers (1/31/07) and they scored the outright upset. While I believe that the Dukes, 2-0 ATS off a conference loss, have an excellent shot at another upset here, I also feel that the line is too high and therefore will grab the generous points with the undervalued home underdog. *A-10 GOY
GONZAGA

Game: Memphis vs. Gonzaga Game Time: 2/7/2009 9:00:00 PM Prediction: Gonzaga Reason: I'm laying the points with GONZAGA. These teams are both red hot and both are perfect in their respective conferences. Both teams would love a victory against a "big name" non-conference opponent here in order to keep their winning streak alive and to improve their seeding in conference play. While the Tigers have the higher seed, I feel that Gonzaga will prove to be the stronger team today, particularly with the game being played at Spokane. With all due respect to the Tigers, who are playing very well again this season, Memphis lost an awful lost of talent from last year's team. On the other hand, this is arguably Gonzaga's most talented team ever - and that's saying an awful lot. While the Tigers are 7-9 ATS in February the past couple of years, the Bulldogs have fared well at this time of year, going 11-5 ATS in February. The Bulldogs rarely get to face a top tier non-conference team like this up here in the Pacific Northwest and they'll definitely want to make the most of the opportunity. They lost by a point in overtime to the Tigers here two years ago and lost at Memphis vs. the #1 Tigers last season, the first time in school history that the Tigers got to play on their own court as the top-ranked team. Look for the Bulldogs to make a statement and avenge those losses in convincing fashion. *Personal Favorite
GEORGETOWN

Game: Cincinnati vs. Georgetown Game Time: 2/7/2009 12:00:00 PM Prediction: Georgetown Reason: I'm laying the points with GEORGETOWN. Recent results have given us a very reasonable number on what is now an undervalued Georgetown squad. The Hoyas are now 0-5 ATS their last five games. Last time out, they won by 10 vs. Rutgers, but failed to cover. That snapped a 5-game winless streak and I expect them to build some positive momentum from it. The fact that the Bearcats upset them 65-57 when the teams met at Cincinnati last month, should provide added incentive to deliver a blowout and keep the "pedal to the metal" the entire way. The Bearcats, who won vs. Notre Dame last time out, are just 5-9 ATS the last 14 times that they were coming off a victory over a conference opponent. That victory notwithstanding, Cincinati is certainly susceptible to getting blown out. Including a 71-50 blowout loss on February 1st, their most recent road game, the Bearcats are now an ugly 0-5 ATS the last five times that they were underdogs of greater than eight points. The Bearcats were getting between +8.5 and +11.5 points for all five of those games, yet the losses came by an average of 24.8 points. Last year's meeting here resulted in a 73-53 blowout win for Georgetown. That followed 15 and 19 point Georgetown victories over the Bearcats here in 2006 and 2007. I expect another double-digit victory this afternoon.
OREGON

Game: Arizona vs. Oregon Game Time: 2/7/2009 3:30:00 PM Prediction: Oregon Reason: I'm taking the points with OREGON. The Wildcats managed to win at Oregon State last time out. However, that win came by only three points and they're still just 1-6 on the road for the season. I feel that the recent home wins over Washington and Washington State have caused the Wildcats to be somewhat over-valued and I fully expect them to have their hands full against what should be an extremely motivated Oregon squad, which will be looking to avoid matching its longest losing streak in more than 50 years. Note that the Wildcats, now 4-11 ATS their last 15 games played in February, are just 9-15 ATS the last 24 times that they were coming off a win over a conference opponent in their previous game. While they lost again, the Ducks played a very strong Arizona State squad reasonably tough, as they traded leads with the Sun Devils 10 times in that game. Their previous two games resulted in losses of three and seven points, with the Ducks covering the spread in each, so it's not like they haven't been competitive. The Ducks are back on the road after this game and they know that this will be one of their last good chances to provide the home fans with a conference victory. While their Pac-10 play has certainly been disappointing, keep in mind that Oregon did beat the likes of Kansas State and Alabama in non-conference action, crushing the Tide by a score of 92-69. Playing with revenge from an earlier loss at Arizona, I look for the Ducks to play with desperation, finally putting together a complete game and earning their first victory in Pac-10 play. *Best Bet

02-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Big Al's Early Afternoon College High Roller:

Play Is On Vanderbilt -6.5 (1:00 Start) Playing Ole Miss

02-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Wayne Root

Chairman- Washington St GOM
Millionaire- UNLV
MoneyMaker- Clemson
No Limit- Oregon State
Insiders- Nebraska
Billionaire- Wright St

Mr. IWS
02-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Spreitzer's 25* Early Morning Massacre:

Play Is On Georgetown -10.5 (12:00 Start) Playing Cincinnati

Mr. IWS
02-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Dr. Bob -

Saturday Daytime Opinions/Possible Best Bets
GEORGE WASHINGTON (-13 ½) over Fordham
Rotation #530 – 10 am Pacific
George Washington has lost 11 consecutive games but is favored by double-digits - which tells you how bad Fordham is. Fordham did win a couple of games back with an upset at St. Bonaventure, but the Rams are just 21-43-2 ATS as an underdog of more than 2 points away from home under coach Dereck Whittenburg, including 9-36 ATS if they are not coming off 2 or more consecutive losses (0-3 ATS this season). Most of George Washington’s recent losses (8 of 11) have been away from home, but the Colonials are 40-19-1 ATS in their last 60 lined home games under coach Karl Hobbs, including 2-1-1 this season. My ratings favor George Washington by 15 ½ points and there is no way the Colonials are going to letdown given their long losing streak. I’ll lean with GW at -14 or less and I’d take George Washington in a 2-Star Best Bet at -12 points or less.

Miami-Florida (+14) over DUKE
Rotation #533 – 10:30 am Pacific
Duke is coming off a humiliating 47-74 loss at Clemson while Miami is coming off an impressive 79-52 upset win over highly ranked Wake Forest. Miami applies to a 181-90-3 ATS big road underdog momentum situation today while Duke’s loss sets them up in a negative 41-89-4 ATS situation. Duke is only 29-41 ATS in conference games after a conference loss over the years, so there is certainly no evidence that they’ll have an easy time bouncing back from their loss at Clemson. Miami, meanwhile, is 20-11-2 ATS as a conference dog of 2 points or more away from home, including 13-1-1 ATS against a team coming off a loss. Unfortunately, my ratings favor Duke by 15 points, so the line isn’t high enough to make this game a Best Bet. I’d take Miami-Florida in a 2-Star Best Bet at +15 points or more.

Mr. IWS
02-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Larry Ness
REASON FOR PICK: It's quite a "second act" for Butler head coach Brad Stevens, who won 30 games last year, in his first season at the school. Butler lost stellar guards Green (14.6-6.5-5.1) and Graves (13.6) off last year's team, along with the 6-7 Campbell (11.7), the 6-6 Betko (4.9-2.4) and the 6-8 Streicher (4.0-2.7). Amazingly, the Bulldogs have hardly "missed a beat." The 6-7 Howard (13.1-7.0) is back for his sophomore year and is joined up front by 6-8 freshman Hayward (13.8-6.3). In the backcourt, freshmen Mack (12.7-3.8 APG) and Nored (3.3-3.1-2.6) are joined by 6-3 junior Veasley (8.7-4.0). While that trio hasn't matched the production of Green and Graves, one can't ignore Butler's 20-2 mark. The 6-8 Jukes (3.6-2.4) and guard Vanzant (3.8) are the team's top reserves. Butler's dominated its Horizon League foes going back to last year, winning 22 of their last 23 conference games. However, Butler's first conference loss this year came this past Monday, when the Bulldogs lost at Wisconsin-Green Bay, 75-66. Butler's in a tough stretch right now, as a week ago Friday, the Bulldogs beat Valpo at home 59-51, not coming close to covering as 18.5-point favorites. Then came Monday night's loss and Thursday Butler played at Detroit, winning 66-61 but not covering as 10.5-point favorites. Tonight's game at Wright St will be the team's FOURTH in eight days and its THIRD straight on the road. What's more, Butler's lost its last three visits to Wright St's home court, the Nutter Center. Brad Brownell's team got off to a dreadful start TY, losing its first SIX games. Worse yet, the team's best player, guard Vaughn Duggins (13.8 PPG last season) was lost for the entire season after four games. However, Duggins' backcourt partner Brown (10.0-5.2) has made the perimeter game work joined by Gardner (8.7), Tabler (6.6), Evans (6.3) and Graham (5.5). Grote (3.5), a 6-6 transfer from Duquesne has been a disappointment but 6-7 CC transfer Cooperwood (9.2-5.3) has been excellent. So what's happened to WSU since that 0-6 beginning? All the Raiders have done is go 14-3 SU and 11-4 ATS and will take the nation's second-best scoring defense (55.2 PPG) into this game. After losing its first two games at the Nutter Center, WSU has won seven in a row, holding opponents to a measly 47.9 PPG. Considering Butler's tough travel schedule this week, the way WSU has been playing and that WSU has beaten Butler the last three times here in the Nutter Center, a fourth straight win seems likely. Even better, the linemakers are giving us a couple of points. Oddsmaker's Error on Wright St (8*).

Larry Ness
REASON FOR PICK: It's quite a "second act" for Butler head coach Brad Stevens, who won 30 games last year, in his first season at the school. Butler lost stellar guards Green (14.6-6.5-5.1) and Graves (13.6) off last year's team, along with the 6-7 Campbell (11.7), the 6-6 Betko (4.9-2.4) and the 6-8 Streicher (4.0-2.7). Amazingly, the Bulldogs have hardly "missed a beat." The 6-7 Howard (13.1-7.0) is back for his sophomore year and is joined up front by 6-8 freshman Hayward (13.8-6.3). In the backcourt, freshmen Mack (12.7-3.8 APG) and Nored (3.3-3.1-2.6) are joined by 6-3 junior Veasley (8.7-4.0). While that trio hasn't matched the production of Green and Graves, one can't ignore Butler's 20-2 mark. The 6-8 Jukes (3.6-2.4) and guard Vanzant (3.8) are the team's top reserves. Butler's dominated its Horizon League foes going back to last year, winning 22 of their last 23 conference games. However, Butler's first conference loss this year came this past Monday, when the Bulldogs lost at Wisconsin-Green Bay, 75-66. Butler's in a tough stretch right now, as a week ago Friday, the Bulldogs beat Valpo at home 59-51, not coming close to covering as 18.5-point favorites. Then came Monday night's loss and Thursday Butler played at Detroit, winning 66-61 but not covering as 10.5-point favorites. Tonight's game at Wright St will be the team's FOURTH in eight days and its THIRD straight on the road. What's more, Butler's lost its last three visits to Wright St's home court, the Nutter Center. Brad Brownell's team got off to a dreadful start TY, losing its first SIX games. Worse yet, the team's best player, guard Vaughn Duggins (13.8 PPG last season) was lost for the entire season after four games. However, Duggins' backcourt partner Brown (10.0-5.2) has made the perimeter game work joined by Gardner (8.7), Tabler (6.6), Evans (6.3) and Graham (5.5). Grote (3.5), a 6-6 transfer from Duquesne has been a disappointment but 6-7 CC transfer Cooperwood (9.2-5.3) has been excellent. So what's happened to WSU since that 0-6 beginning? All the Raiders have done is go 14-3 SU and 11-4 ATS and will take the nation's second-best scoring defense (55.2 PPG) into this game. After losing its first two games at the Nutter Center, WSU has won seven in a row, holding opponents to a measly 47.9 PPG. Considering Butler's tough travel schedule this week, the way WSU has been playing and that WSU has beaten Butler the last three times here in the Nutter Center, a fourth straight win seems likely. Even better, the linemakers are giving us a couple of points. Oddsmaker's Error on Wright St (8*).

EXPERT: Larry Ness
REASON FOR PICK: Blaine Taylor is in his eighth season at ODU and his teams have finished no worse than fourth the last five season in the CAA. Prior to LY's 18-16 year (11-7 in CAA), his Monarchs had won 28, 24 and 24 games the previous three seasons. Four starters returned this year and the team's 14-8 overall mark (7-5 in the CAA has them tied for 5th) is somewhat of a disappointment. The 6-10 Lee (14.8-5.5) and 6-5 sophomore guard Finney (10.8-6.5) are the team's only two double digit scorers and while the Monarchs own some fairly decent depth, the team's 63.4 percent mark from the FT line really hurts. Bruiser Flint's Drexel team got off to a dreadful 2-6 start but has since rebounded to go 10-3 post-Christmas Day. The Dragons have a very deep backcourt with Rodgers (13.6-4.6), Colds (9.0), Hawthorne (8.8) and Harris (7.8). They don't have anyone as big or as good as Lee in the frontcourt but the 6-8 Neisler (8.2-7.5), the 6-8 Spencer (6.2-4.4), 6-5 Givens (5.9-6.9) and the 6-9 Tribbet (3.0-2.9) are a solid group. Drexel plays a swarming defense and it's effective, holding opponents to just 62.5 PPG and 40.2 percent on FGs. Drexel's seven-game winning streak (also 7-0 ATS) was just snapped in its last outing (a 73-70 loss in OT at Delaware on Feb 4) but here at home, expect the Dragons to surround ODU's Lee inside, forcing the rest of the team to make plays. Last year's 12-win team took ODU to two OT's in Norfolk before losing, so here in Philly, expect a Drexel team which has 'jelled,' to have little trouble with the Monarchs. CAA 10* on Drexel
Larry Ness
REASON FOR PICK: Marty Simmons struggled in his first season at Evansville, as the Purple Aces went 9-21 overall and 3-15 in the MVC. However, the Purple Aces returned all five starters this year and while no one expected Evansville to contend for the MVC title, improvement was expected. It's also been delivered. Ely, the team's 6-4 small forward averages a team-high 17.5 PPG and 6.6 RPG. The 6-5 Garner (10.1-6.0) joins him in the starting frontcourt with the 6-11 van Tongeren (5.0-2.8). Holsinger (11.2) returns at guard and two freshman have joined these four vets to form the core of this team. The freshman are guard Williams (5.9-4.5 APG) and the 6-7 Haarsma (5.7-4.4). Evansville is 14-8 overall and a respectable 6-6 in MVC play. Wichita St comes in with FIVE wins in its last six games but the Shockers are just 11-12 overall and 5-7 in MVC play. Both guards are new this year, as Murry (11.6) is a freshman and Hannah (10.5-4.5 APG) is a JUCO. Up front, the 7-0 Stutz (5.0-3.0) is no more effective than van Tongeren of Evansville and while the 6-7 Durley (7.7-4.4) and the 6-6 Clemente (7.1-7.8) may be slightly bigger than their Evansville counterparts, they aren't better players. FOUR of Wichita's recent five wins have come at home, as the team's Feb 4 win at Indiana St (64-58), marked the Shockers' first road win of the year. Let's note that Ind St is 4-19 overall (2-10 in the MVC) and that Wichita St had lost all seven of its previous road games TY, including going 0-5 SU (1-4 ATS) on the MVC road. As for Evansville, the Purple Aces are 12-2 SU at home, losing only to MVC powers Northern Iowa and Creighton. Evansville just barely lost 51-50 at Wichita back on Jan 25, as the team made just 36.0 percent of its shots, plus the Shockers had 28 FT attempts to the Purple Aces' 15. Expect Evansville to shoot a MUCH better percentage here at home and for those FT attempts to also be "adjusted." Weekend Wipeout Winner on Evansville (7.5*).
Larry Ness
REASON FOR PICK: The Pistons grabbed a much-needed win Wednesday night, as they beat the Heat 93-90. Detroit had lost NINE of its previous 12 games entering its game with Miami and while the Pistons did blow a 13-point third-quarter lead and missed a number of FTs in the game's final 30 seconds, it was their first win over a team with a winning record since beating Denver on Jan 9. Milwaukee has been a 'whipping boy' for Detroit the last few seasons, as the Pistons have won EIGHT of the last nine meetings between the two teams, covering SIX of last seven in the series (Detroit is already 2-0 SU and ATS this year). Guard Michael Redd (21.2) has been "done for the year" for some time now but more bad news came Milwaukee's way with the recent announcement that center C Andrew Bogut (11.7-10.2) would miss at least eight weeks due to continuing back problems. The Bucks are 0-5 SU playing without Bogut and Redd this season plus PG Ridnour (10.7-5.7 APG) is also out tonight with a finger injury. Detroit averages only 92.9 PPG (2nd-worst in the league) but through all its problems, the Pistons can still play D (93.1 PPG allowed ranks 3rd). The guard trio of Iverson, Hamilton and Stuckey has just not worked as well as first-year head coach Curry had hoped but the Pistons can beat the Bucks "from memory alone." With Redd and Bogut both out (not to mention Ridnour), the Pistons will win in a rout! Weekend Wipeout Winner Det Pistons (7.5*).

Larry Ness
REASON FOR PICK: No. 14 Memphis has won 13 straight and No. 18 Gonzaga has won nine straight, while assuming control of the West Coast Conference (especially with Mills out for St Mary's). Memphis hasn't much worried about its C-USA schedule, as the Tigers own 50 consecutive C-USA wins, including tournament play. Memphis is a rare national power to visit Spokane to play the Bulldogs. Gonazaga has made 10 straight NCAA appearances (nine straight under Few) and few if any major programs want to visit Spokane. In fact, even this game will NOT be played in Gonzaga's on-campus McCarthey Athletic Center, but rather in the Spokane Arena. Memphis averages 77.0 PPG and allows 61.5, while Gonzaga averages 78.8 PPG, while allowing 62.4. Memphis famously collapsed in the final minutes of last year's national title to Kansas (eventually lost in OT) and Rose, Douglas-Roberts and Dorsey are all gone from that team. The 6-9 Dozier (11.9-6.9) is back, as is 6-6 swingman Anderson (10.5-4.9), the 6-10 Taggert (10.0-7.0) and guard Mack (9.5). However, the team's best player is freshman guard Evans, who averages 16.8-5.4-3.9. I'm not sold on the Memphis bench. For that matter, Gonzaga isn't very deep either but this is a veteran team. WCC p-o-y Pargo (9.9-3.8-5.4) is again running the team with a trio of big guards. Bouldin (13.7-3.8) and Gray (10.4-3.4) are 6-5 and Downs (8.3-4.5) is 6-7. Heytvelt (14.4-6.7) and Daye (13.8-7.4) are both 6-11 or 6-10 and both have played extremely well TY. This is a HUGE game for Gonzaga, as a win would do wonders to bolster the Bulldogs' stock (meaning seeding) for the upcoming NCAA tournament. Memphis can be had, as shown when this year's team lost THREE times in five games (from 11/23-12/20), to Xavier (neutral game) plus now slumping teams like Georgetown (on the road) and Syracuse (at home). Gonzaga owns the nation's best defensive FG percentage at 36.4 and back on Dec 20, gave now-No. 1 U Conn all it wanted before losing 88-83 in OT at Seattle's Key Arena. This game may not be on campus but it is in Spokane and the 'Zags and their fans will be ready TV Game of the Week on Gonzaga (6*).

Larry Ness
REASON FOR PICK: St Mary's jumped out to a halftime lead at Gonzaga on Jan 29 but couldn't hold the lead without guard Paddy Mills. Mills injured his hand (wrist) late in the first half and Gonzaga came back to to win 69-62, ending St Mary's 15-game winning streak. The Gaels followed that game by getting 'rocked' at Portland but were able to win in their last game, over a mediocre San Francisco team. Here however, the Gaels must play a red-hot Santa Clara team, which almost beat them back in Moraga on Jan 9. Mills (who had 31 points), made a three-pointer with 2.6 seconds to play, allowing St Mary's to 'escape.' The Gaels were also able to hold Santa Clara's 6-11 Bryant (17.3-13.7) to just nine points and eight boards, something that isn't likely to happen again. St Mary's does have quite a duo in the 6-11 Samhan (14.0-9.5) and the 6-7 Simpson (13.6-11.0) but without Mills, Hughes (8.2), McConnell (4.7) and Hunter (4.6) will not be able to handle Santa Clara's vastly improved perimeter game. Foster (13.4) is a freshman who just keeps getting better, while Rahon (11.5) and Petty (7.5) round out a very nice trio. Santa Clara has won five in a row entering this game with the first four coming at home where the Broncos are 9-2 TY). The latest win came at San Diego, 64-62 in OT. Santa Clara has allowed only 56.6 PPG during its five-game win streak and St Mary's (sans Mills) is in for a LONG night. Bailout Blowout on St Mary's (7*).

Mr. IWS
02-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Dr Bob

2 Saturday Daytime Best Bets.

Rotation #531 Colorado (+21) 3-Stars at +20 or more, 2-Stars down to +19.
Rotation #565 Virginia (+24 1/2) 2-Stars at +24 or more, 3-Stars at +25

Mr. IWS
02-07-2009, 01:01 PM
spreitzer
25* heat

Mr. IWS
02-07-2009, 01:49 PM
BRANDON LANG
from another "site"
15 south carolina

Mr. IWS
02-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Big Al's Early Afternoon College High Roller:

Play Is On Vanderbilt -6.5

Mr. IWS
02-07-2009, 04:03 PM
big Al.

All 3 unit plays. No nba.

Vandy
Duke
Wyoming
Virginia
Georgia
Iowa St
Gonzaga

Mr. IWS
02-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Dr Bob

4 Saturday night Best Bets.

Rotation #588 Drexel (-2) 2-Stars at -3 or less.
Rotation #599 Troy (-1) 2-Stars at -1 or better.
Rotation #640 Tulsa (-4) 2-Stars at -4 or less.
Rotation #693 Tenn-Martin (-7) 3-Stars at -8 or less, 2-Stars up to -9.

Writeups

2 Star Selection
**DREXEL (-2) over Old Dominion
04:00 PM Pacific - Rotation 588
Drexel won and covered in 7 consecutive games before falling by 3 points on the road at Delaware on Wednesday. I expect the Dragons to get back on track tonight against and Old Dominion team that plays considerably worse after a victory than they do after a loss. The Monarchs are just 17-41-1 ATS in conference games following a conference victory in 8 seasons under coach Blaine Taylor, including 11-36-1 ATS when not getting more than 3 points (0-10 ATS recently). Drexel is 8-1 ATS as a favorite this season and my ratings favor the Dragons by 4 ½ points in this game. I’ll take Drexel in a 2-Star Best Bet at -3 points or less.

2 Star Selection
**Troy State (-1) over FLORIDA ATLANTIC
04:00 PM Pacific - Rotation 599
Florida Atlantic has lost 18 of their last 20 games and the Owls are 1-11 straight up in conference play. Troy has won 7 consecutive games and is 9-3 in Sun Belt games, so asking the Trojans to simply win this game straight up is not asking much. Florida Atlantic has only lost 2 of their conference games by double-digits, so they’ve generally been competitive, but the Owls have a tough time closing out games without their two best offensive players Carlos Monroe and Xavier Perkins, who have both missed the last 9 games and are out for the season. Monroe and Perkins combined to make 50% of their shots and both averaged over 12 points per game, but the rest of the Owls combine to make only 41% of their shots and leading scorer Paul Graham is not the answer late in games when a bucket is needed to win a game (he makes just 37.7% from the field). This may be another close game, but the Trojans of Troy are likely to come out on top, as my ratings favor Troy by 2 points and Florida Atlantic applies to a negative 6-32-1 ATS situation. Florida Atlantic has been good as a medium to big dog this season because they play so many close games, but the Owls are just 1-9 ATS this season when not getting at least 5 points. I’ll take Troy in a 2-Star Best Bet at -1 or better.

2 Star Selection
**TULSA (-4) over Utep
05:00 PM Pacific - Rotation 640
Tulsa won 78-70 in El Paso two weeks ago and the Golden Hurricane apply to a very good 33-3-2 ATS subset of a 101-45-4 ATS sweep angle tonight. My ratings favor Tulsa by 3 ½ points using all games and by 6 points using conference games only, so a line of 4 points is fair. I’ll take Tulsa in a 2-Star Best Bet at -4 points or less and for 3-Stars at -3.

3 Star Selection
***Tennessee-Martin (-7) over TENNESSEE STATE
05:50 PM Pacific - Rotation 693
Tennessee Martin started the season 2-5 straight up, but the Skyhawks took flight when efficient big man Olahide Hay (64% FG) became eligible to play in mid-December. UT Martin has gone 13-1 since Hay joined the lineup (9-3 ATS) and the Skyhawks remain a bit underrated (my rating favor them by 9 points in this game). Tennessee State is on a 7 game spread losing streak and the head coach lost his job because of it. I suppose a new coach could get Tennessee State to give more effort, but the Tigers simply aren’t talented enough and they don’t have much of a home court advantage (just 14-27 ATS at home). Tennessee-Martin applies to a very good 147-62-5 ATS big road favorite situation and a 50-20-3 ATS road favorite momentum situation and I’ll take Tennessee-Martin in a 3-Star Best Bet at -8 points or less and for 2-Stars at -8 ½ or -9 points.

Saturday Night Opinion
EASTERN WASHINGTON (-1 ½) over Northern Arizona
Rotation #704 – 7 pm Pacific
Northern Arizona is 37-18 ATS with 2 or more days off to prepare for an opponent, but the Lumberjacks are only 14-25 ATS when they have 1 or fewer days to prepare (1-3 ATS this season), including 6-16 ATS on the road. Northern Arizona also applies to a negative 34-76-3 ATS situation that is based on having just 1 day off, but that situation is not strong enough to make Eastern Washington a Best Bet. My ratings do favor the Eagles by 2 points, so the line is fair, and I’ll lean with Eastern Washington at -2 or better