PDA

View Full Version : amputee Kyle Maynard to make MMA debut

Luke
03-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Kyle Maynard, born with his arms at his elbows and his legs at his knees, will make his MMA debut on April 25 in Auburn, Alambama.

The amateur fight will happen at "Auburn Fight Night" at the Auburn Covered Center.

The 22-year-old Maynard in 2004 won the ESPN ESPY award Best Athlete With A Disability.

Maynard was previously denied a license to fight MMA by the Georgia Athletic & Entertainment Commission.

http://www.mmafighting.com/news/2009/03/20/congenital-amputee-kyle-maynard-make-mma-debut

Luke
03-24-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm all for inspirational stories but in my mind this is just crazy.If he gets put on his back how is he going to defend against punches? I have seen amputees wrestler before but this is far more dangerous. I cant believe they are letting this go on

Mr. IWS
03-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Can you kick him? Thats what I want to know.

I know you cant kick a downed opponent, but he is always gonna be down.

I cannot wait to see the vid of this shit. You cant really arm bar/knee bar/heel hook etc. But this guy wont be able to stop a guillitine or rear naked at all with those short ass arms.

YOur right though. Insparational stories are great, but this kid could get fucked up.

Luke
03-24-2009, 04:27 PM
I want to know how he is going to stop punches.I dont think his arms(whats left of them) will cover his face.

But you are right about the kicks on the ground how in the world is that going to go??

Mr. IWS
03-24-2009, 04:30 PM
This is just fuckin redicoulous. I dont know how the fuck a promoter can let this kid fight for real, unless this is just some worked fight and he ends up winning.

Mr. IWS
03-24-2009, 04:31 PM
This is like a Dog fighting a human, and the dog cant bite.

Luke
03-24-2009, 04:40 PM
This is like a Dog fighting a human, and the dog cant bite.

I agree I was shocked when I seen this .I want to see how it turn out

Mr. IWS
04-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Fight is on for Saturday....

After 23 years, Kyle Maynard has learned to tune out the naysayers.

A congenital amputee -- the condition left him with no hands, two rounded stumps at the elbows and two short appendages with deformed feet at the knees -- Maynard will make his amateur mixed martial arts debut at an Auburn Fight Night show this Saturday at the Auburn Covered Arena in Auburn, Ala.

Maynard had designs on debuting in his native Georgia in 2007, but the Georgia Athletic and Entertainment Commission refused to sanction him. Alabama has no governing body to oversee MMA competition, which cleared the way for his entry into the cage.

“Part of me is disappointed we had to go this route,” Maynard said. “I can understand the athletic commission’s point of view. They have a lot to lose and little to gain in sanctioning me, but I’m not talking about going out there and competing against the top 135-pounders in the world. On an even playing field in amateur competition, I should be able to compete.”

David Oblas, who also runs the Wild Bill’s Fight Night promotion in Georgia, put together the Auburn Fight Night event. Maynard’s opponent will not be revealed until the weigh-in on Friday in an attempt to short circuit any negative reaction or pressure he might encounter.

“We do have an opponent,” Oblas said. “We do have a backup. The opponent will not be released until the weigh-ins. It’s someone who’s fought before. We’re trying to keep the focus on Kyle. The person who gets in there and punches him in the face is going to make his dream come true.”

Defying the Odds

Without the benefit of full arms and legs, Maynard won more than 100 wrestling matches -- 36 as a senior -- at Collins Hill High School in Suwanee, Ga. His accomplishments drew national media attention, as he was featured on HBO’s “Real Sports” and won the 2004 ESPY Award for Best Athlete with a Disability.

Maynard -- who has also tested his limitations in power lifting competitions (he set a world record for the modified bench press with a lift of 360 pounds at the Arnold Fitness Classic in 2005) and organized football -- trains full-time under UFC veteran and Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Paul Creighton.

A Renzo Gracie protégé who once fought B.J. Penn inside the UFC Octagon, Creighton supports Maynard’s decision to test himself inside the cage.

“Kyle has had obstacles his whole life,” said Creighton, who plans to corner Maynard on Saturday. “He’s not doing this for anyone other than himself. He’s a grown man and should be able to decide what he wants to do.”

Schooled by a variety of instructors, Maynard has also worked with Palace Fighting Championship featherweight titleholder Diego Saraiva and “The Ultimate Fighter 3” alum Rory Singer. He made a smooth transition from amateur wrestling to submission grappling and claims to have medaled in every competition he has entered. Maynard believes his credentials strengthen his case.

“I was one win away from being a high school All-American,” Maynard said. “I’ve set power lifting world records. People don’t take the time to do five minutes of research. If you look at my track record, in every competition -- whether it’s football, wrestling, power lifting or jiu-jitsu -- I’ve had success. I think I can compete and do pretty well.”

Met with a groundswell of negative public reaction when he made known his intention to enter MMA back in 2007, Maynard has steered clear of the blog sites and underground forums that were once part of his daily routine. He used to use that sentiment as motivation, but no more.

“It did motivate me back in 2007 after the commission’s denial,” Maynard said. “I see the MMA community as an extension of my family, and hearing that kind of negative sentiment was tough. I’ve had to completely remove myself from that, from the underground forums and all the blog sites. It’s not important. I want to prove I can compete for myself, not anyone else.

“It’s a tough call,” he added. “When I look at it from the standpoint of an MMA fan, me going into any kind of pugilistic sport is going to bring about the kind of feelings that fuel the fire of the media and uneducated fans.”

Still, many question whether or not Maynard should be deemed physically fit for battle. Some claim the prospect of his being injured in MMA competition might tarnish the sport, which remains in the early stages of its development.

“Why should I be allowed to fight? Because I’m a human being, and I have inalienable rights, same as anyone else,” Maynard said. “I think it’s fear-mongering for people to say they think I’m going to send the sport back to the dark ages.”

Creighton agrees.

“I don’t know how people can be so negative,” he said. “To me, it’s from people who hide their faces. People should learn from it. It’s easy for most people to lay down and quit when they hit obstacles.”

Oblas, who befriended Maynard several years ago and has seen him train and spar, has no qualms about sending him into the cage under his watch.

“I have no concerns for Kyle in the cage,” he said. “My main concern is the public perception of him. So far, some of it has been positive, some negative.”

“Kyle’s not new to the sport,” Oblas continued. “He’s not a fly-by-night fighter. He’s proven to me there’s no reason to be concerned with his safety. There are a lot of people around him who love him and who have his best interests at heart. He’s more prepared than a lot of fighters with arms and legs. I feel more confident putting Kyle Maynard in there than I do putting some 0-0 amateur fighters in there. You see so many who don’t belong in the ring. If he gets injured, he gets injured.”

The Third Man

Cam McHargue, one of the most seasoned referees in the southeast, will officiate the bout. The 39-year-old has eight professional bouts under his belt, as well, including a 2001 defeat to EliteXC veteran Muhsin Corbbrey.

“It’s just another fight to me and all the same principles will be in play,” McHargue said via e-mail. “The main thing that people seem to be worried about with this fight is that they are under the impression Kyle will not be able to defend himself because he can’t block punches. There are fighters out there with fully developed arms and legs that find themselves in positions where they are taking some shots and the fights get stopped. A lot of times, even when fighters are blocking the shots with their arms, the fights get stopped because they fail to improve position. I think that is going to be the factor here with Kyle.”

He thinks Maynard will surprise those who aim to deny him a spot in the cage.

“The fact is Kyle can use his arms to block punches to a great degree, so that really isn’t an issue,” McHargue said. “The thing that separates Kyle from the majority is his ability to improve his position. It’s very hard to hold Kyle down in a fixed position for any amount of time without him escaping or improving. He is constantly moving.”

The fight will be contested under traditional amateur rules, which do not allow knees or kicks to the head of a grounded opponent. Since Maynard will always be considered grounded, punches to the head and all strikes to the body will be permitted.

“Do I believe Kyle is going to get hit? Absolutely, but he’s not going to get hit any more than any other fighters, and if Kyle winds up in a position where he cannot defend or is taking damage, then I will stop the fight just like I would with any other fighter,” McHargue said. “Something that many people don’t understand is that Kyle is arguably more qualified and able to step in that cage than 90 percent of the amateurs out there fighting MMA in the U.S. today.”

A Promoter Under Fire

Oblas himself has faced public ridicule for promoting the fight. The event will be carried on Internet pay-per-view at www.KyleMaynardFight.com (http://www.KyleMaynardFight.com) for $14.95.

“I’ve always wanted to promote fights that mean something,” Oblas said. “I’ve always tried to put on good fights. I just want this to happen for him. Only a few people in your life change your life. He’s one of those people. Kyle and I are friends. We’ll be friends before the fight, and we’ll be friends after the fight. I don’t have a chain around his neck. I don’t have a gun to his head. It all came about because Kyle called me on the phone and told me he wanted to fight.”

Maynard -- who opened the No Excuses Athletics CrossFit Gym in his hometown back in December -- finds the criticism toward Oblas misguided.

“If there’s one thing that really upsets me about this, it’s that people attacked him,” Maynard said. “He’s been a friend of mine for years and the only one to stand behind me. He’s legitimized this. He’s doing everything he’d do in a commissioned state. The fact that people have called out David on this is pretty pathetic. I came to him.”

Maynard -- who has appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show, Larry King Live, ABC’s 20/20 and Good Morning America in the past -- does not see the bout as a publicity grab on his end, either.

“People say I’m doing this to get attention. Give me a break,” he said. “Honestly, I’d rather do this in some back alley away from all the cameras and media just to test myself.”

Luke
04-24-2009, 08:16 PM
I still think this is crazy but let him do it if he wants to

Luke
04-27-2009, 12:38 AM
Maynard Loses, Leaves Cage Unscathed

AUBURN, Ala. -- Knighted by some and demonized by others, Kyle Maynard completed his almost two-year-long journey into the cage on Saturday at the Auburn Covered Arena. He left it unscathed, save for the defeat on his amateur mixed martial arts record.

The 23-year-old congenital amputee dropped a three-round decision to Bryan Fry in the main event of an Auburn Fight Night show and received five standing ovations for his efforts. Fears centered on the possibility of his being injured lingered overhead, but Maynard proved capable of defending himself. All three judges scored it 30-27 in Fry’s favor.

Maynard’s dogged pursuit of a takedown never paid off, as Fry kept him at bay with jabs, open-handed hooks and the occasional uppercut. The Wisconsin native maintained a standing position for the duration of the bout, and though Maynard was often the aggressor, he failed to score with anything of substance.

“I think it’s a tough gameplan to prepare for,” Maynard said. “I felt like I gave 100 percent. He didn’t want to go to the ground, and I wasn’t going to win a boxing match with him.”

Piggybacked to the cage by longtime friend Ben Davis, Maynard was confronted by a cold reality soon after he entered it.

“When I walked in the cage, and when [Fry] was first able to initiate contact, I realized this was the most serious thing I’d ever gotten myself into, and I loved it,” he said. “I think my ear is still buzzing from that first shot.”

Fry -- whose mother cares for mentally and physically handicapped patients and whose son suffers from sickle cell anemia -- claimed he accepted the fight with Maynard in good faith to help the Georgian show others afflicted with disability that dreams are reachable.

“It was important for me to come down here,” said Fry, who won for the first time in three amateur appearances. “If my son sees this guy get in the ring, it lets him know.”

Fry credited Maynard for the courage he showed.

“I was pretty damned amazed,” he said. “I didn’t expect him to be that quick. He’s got bigger balls than a lot of the guys I know.”

The setting was far from ideal. Partially enclosed by a steel skeleton, the “arena” came complete with a dirt floor peppered with straw, a wooden press box and bleachers, a hot dog stand, a row of portable toilets and a live band. Sexual enhancement fliers were passed out to the crowd before the first fist flew, and cigarette smoke choked the air, as Maynard and Fry -- the ninth and final bout on the card -- competed in a square cage of black chain-link.

Still, the venue served its purpose for Maynard, who was denied an MMA license by the Georgia Athletic and Entertainment Commission in 2007.

He tempered the disappointment of defeat with optimism and perspective.

“I wanted to win so bad, but it was still one of the best moments of my life,” Maynard said. “A lot of people didn’t think I would last 30 seconds. If you want something bad enough, you’ve got to step in there and do it. I love the sport so much. It would have been so tough to love something so much and never get the chance to taste it.”

Maynard did not compete with gloves, as perspiration -- temperatures hovered in the 80s for much of the night -- caused them to come loose during a warm-up session.

“I couldn’t keep them on,” Maynard said. “I had to tell [Fry] around the seventh or eighth fight. He’s a tough fighter. A lot of guys wouldn’t have taken the fight. A lot of guys [when confronted] at the last minute with this, would have been like, ‘Whoa, whoa, whoa. What about gloves?’”

His thirst for competition far from fully quenched, Maynard plans to compete again in amateur MMA and still holds out hope he will be allowed to do so in a regulated state, perhaps even his native Georgia.

“I want to go in [before the commission] with as much proof as I can,” he said. “I still have the opportunity to go do that. I don’t know if I’ve built my case yet. I don’t know what I have to do to fight in a commissioned state.”

Cornered by UFC veteran Paul Creighton, a Renzo Gracie black belt with whom he now trains full-time, Maynard plans to return to his Duluth, Ga., gym soon.

“I didn’t win tonight,” Maynard said. “I have to get back on the horse and perfect things. This has given me a taste. I want to get back in there and do it again. I’m only 23 years old. I’ve got a lot of time left athletically.”

Luke
04-27-2009, 12:39 AM
Thank god he didnt get hurt or it would have made MMA look bad

I hope he doesnt try this again

Mr. IWS
04-27-2009, 09:13 AM
I saw a clip online, ill find the vid later. I looked like a man figthing a dog. He was fast as shit on all fours though.

Mr. IWS
04-27-2009, 11:49 AM
I dont know whether to laugh or just stare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkvwgL0G ... annel_page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkvwgL0GiWI&feature=channel_page)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFGoN4Ua ... annel_page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFGoN4UaWu0&feature=channel_page)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O09y--0m ... annel_page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O09y--0m0Wg&feature=channel_page)

Luke
04-27-2009, 01:57 PM
I dont know whether to laugh or just stare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkvwgL0G ... annel_page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkvwgL0GiWI&feature=channel_page)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFGoN4Ua ... annel_page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFGoN4UaWu0&feature=channel_page)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O09y--0m ... annel_page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O09y--0m0Wg&feature=channel_page)

I was laughing a lot, not really making fun of him but he looks like a damn mouse running across the floor.

From watching that I think he had a 0% chance of winning he was never going to get close enough for a taken down and the other guy had a good strategy

I wonder if they can set up a fight where someone with no arms takes on someone with no legs and he can fight the winner

Mr. IWS
04-27-2009, 02:46 PM
I was laughing a lot, not really making fun of him but he looks like a damn mouse running across the floor.

From watching that I think he had a 0% chance of winning he was never going to get close enough for a taken down and the other guy had a good strategy

I wonder if they can set up a fight where someone with no arms takes on someone with no legs and he can fight the winner

::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao::

Mr. IWS
04-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Here is what I want to know:

Lets say the kid gets a takedown, then what does he do? He cant punch, cant pull a submission.

I love that the kid has a great attitude, and is doing what he wants, but he can only get hurt doing this, but like you said, to each his own. but this is going to hurt the sport in the long run.

Next you will have these down syndrome kids with the freakish strength fighting in these things.

Luke
04-27-2009, 04:54 PM
I agree this will only hurt the sport. I'm thinking this was just a big publicity stunt so he can sell his story and make money.I showed the video to my lady and she said he has already been on Opera so maybe it was a one time thing and he is just hoping to cash in on it.Lets hope so.

Now if he did take the guy I think he might be able to choke the guy out or maybe mount him and delivery strikes to his face.
I only think he might be able to do this because I found this video on him from when he was wrestling but who knows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5R75GGUovg