PDA

View Full Version : 4-13-09

Mr. IWS
04-13-2009, 12:42 PM
BURNS NBA

Basketball (NBA)

UNDER bulls/pistons

Game: Chicago Bulls vs. Detroit Pistons Game Time: 4/13/2009 7:35:00 PM Prediction: under Reason: I'm playing on the Pistons and Bulls to finish UNDER the total. These teams have met three times this season and all three have finished above the total. However, the most recent of those games (3/24) would have finished below this evening's higher over/under number, as the final combined score came in at 190. Looking back a bit further and we find that five of the last eight meetings have finished with 190 or fewer combined points. Both teams are still jockeying for playoff positioning and I expect that to ensure that we see a solid effort from both defenses. The Bulls have seen six of their last nine road games finish below the total. While the Pistons have seen their last couple of games sneak above the number, they've still seen the UNDER go a profitable 24-14 (63%) the last 38 times that they played a home game where the total ranged between 195 and 199.5 points. The Pistons, who lost last month's meeting at Chicago, have also seen the UNDER go 57-39 the last few years when attempting to avenge an earlier loss. During that stretch, they've also seen the UNDER go 19-13 when coming off a game in which they allowed 105 or more points. I expect those numbers to improve this evening. *Blue Chip
OVER raptors/wizards

please check back for writeup
BUCKS

Game: Orlando Magic vs. Milwaukee Bucks Game Time: 4/13/2009 8:05:00 PM Prediction: Milwaukee Bucks Reason: I'm laying the small number with MILWAUKEE. Even casual fans know that the Magic have had a much better season than the Bucks. On the surface, they've also got more to play for. The Bucks are playing out the string while the Magic are looking to bounce back from back to back losses and looking to build some momentum for the postseason. So, why are the Bucks favored? Well, there are several reasons. For starters, the Bucks are playing at home and this is their final home game of the year. Also, the Magic are already locked into the third seed. Additionally, they're not healthy. While they've had plenty of time to deal with the loss of point guard Jameer Nelson, now they're also expected to be without both Lewis and Turkolu. Making matters even more difficult, they'll also likely see limited minutes from Dwight Howard, who played less than normal in Saturday's loss. The Bucks snapped a four-game losing streak with a convincing 115-98 win over Oklahoma City on Saturday with Richard Jefferson tying a season high with 35 points. That victory showed that they actually do care about finishing up strong. As forward Charlie Villanueva noted: "We're trying to finish the season out strong on a positive note. We're playing to win every game. We're not playing for the lottery, lottery balls, or anything like that." Non-playoff teams with that mindset are fully capable of elevating their play in their final home game. We saw the Raptors do so yesterday against a Philadelphia team which had much to play for and which, like Orlando, was also "looking to get back on track" and to build some playoff momentum. Last month's blowout loss notwithstanding, the Bucks, who play with "triple revenge," are a profitable 17-7 ATS and 19-5 SU the last 24 times that they were a host in this series. I expect them to build off Saturday's victory and to close out the home campaign with a big win and cover. *GOY

Mr. IWS
Burns MLB

Baseball (MLB)

RAYS

Game: New York Yankees vs. Tampa Bay Rays Game Time: 4/13/2009 7:05:00 PM Prediction: Tampa Bay Rays Reason: I'm laying the price with TAMPA BAY. With yesterday's big victory, the Rays managed to split their first six games. Now, they finally get to make their home debut. While all teams tend to get fired up for the home opener, this game being played at St. Petersburg is particularly important, as the Rays were a major league-best 57-24 at home last season. Scott Kazmir gets the call for the home team and he was extremely sharp in this year's first start. That came at Fenway and he limited the Red Sox to a single run through six innings, en route to a 7-2 victory. That gives him a 1-0 record and a 1.50 ERA coming in. Kazmir was dominant here last season. In 14 starts here, he was 8-2 with a 2.90 ERA. The Rays are 14-3 in his last 17 home starts. Unlike most pitchers, Kazmir has also enjoyed plenty of success against New York. In fact, he's got an excellent 2.51 ERA in 12 career appearances against the Yankees. The Rays are 4-1 his last five home starts in the series. Wang goes for the visitors and in his opening start, he showed no signs of being fully recovered from last year's injury. In that outing, he allowed seven runs in just 3 2/3 innings. During that span, he allowed nine hits and three walks, leaving him with an awful 3.27 WHIP. Given Wang's current "iffy" form and Kazmir and the Ray's overall dominance at this venue, I believe that the Rays will have the edge. I expect them to start off their home campaign with a victory. *Annihilator
PIRATES

Game: Houston Astros vs. Pittsburgh Pirates Game Time: 4/13/2009 1:35:00 PM Prediction: Pittsburgh Pirates Reason: I'm laying the price with PITTSBURGH. I successfully played against the Pirates yesterday. While the defense managed to turn their first triple-play in 16 years, the offense (which scored 10 runs the previous day) couldn't score any runs and the Pirates fell by a score of 2-0. That was on the road though and it came vs. a highly motivated Aaron Harang. This afternoon, in addition to playing their home opener, the Pirates have a much more favorable matchup on the mound and they also face an opponent which is really struggling. The Astros were just swept by St. Louis, getting outscored 19-5 in the process. They're off to a 1-5 start and rank 29th in the majors in runs, with just 16. While the Astros offense is better than it has shown, this is a difficult matchup. Duke is coming off a great opening start which saw him allow one earned run in 6 1-3 innings, en route to a 7-4 Pittsburgh win. Duke was quoted as saying: "I just feel like I'm in control of what I??m doing this year. Every pitch that I'm about to throw, I feel like I know where it's going to go. My pitches are crisp. Whenever you feel like you're in command, it definitely helps the confidence out." Note that Duke has allowed two earned runs or less in four straight starts vs. the Astros, recording a stellar 2.45 ERA during that stretch. In his last two home starts vs. Houston, Duke allowed just three runs in 14 2/3 innings. Not surprisingly, the Pirates won both. Moehler goes for the Astros and he allowed seven runs in just 1 2/3 innings in his opening start. Note that he had an ugly 9.39 ERA in four starts against Pittsburgh last season. In his last game at Pittsburgh, Moehler allowed five runs in just a single inning. The Pirates won that game by a score of 6-4. Including the 9/20 victory over Moehler, the Pirates have gone 9-6 (+2.8) the last 15 times that they were a host in this series. It's also worth noting that the Pirates were 15-8 (+3.8) the past couple of years when listed as home favorites in the -125 to -150 range. Playing their home opener, look for the Pirates to build on those stats as the Astros' struggles continue for another day. *Personal Favorite

Mr. IWS
Brandon Lang
Monday ...

10 Dime Pacers - Analysis due back by 1 p.m. eastern

10 Dime Rockets -

10 Dime Warriors -

5 Dime Rockies -

5 Dime Phillies -

FREE - Pistons (See daily video for your analysis

Mr. IWS
Ness MLB

Phi
*15 TB
Red Sox

Mr. IWS
04-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Burns
NBA Game of the Year MILWAUKEE
NBA Blue Chip UNDER RAPTORS/WIZARDS
UNDER bulls/pistons

Mr. IWS
04-13-2009, 04:43 PM
ROOT

Chairman----------------Minn Twins
Millionaire---------------Indiana Pacers
Insiders------------------Kansas City Royals

Mr. IWS
04-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Al

At 8:05pm our selection is on the Cincinnati Reds and Milwaukee Brewers 'under' the total.

Mr. IWS
04-13-2009, 06:21 PM
drbob have 1 Monday NBA Best Bet and you can get my Best Bet analysis for
here's drbob's opinion

Monday NBA Opinion/Possible Best Bet
HOUSTON (-8) over New Orleans
New Orleans has been an inconsistent team and they aren’t likely to play their best tonight on the road against a good team after winning last night. The Hornets are just 16-23 ATS on the road this season and only 13-22 ATS after covering the spread in their last game (4-13 ATS on the road). New Orleans is also just 4-12 ATS this season as an underdog of more than 2 points and the Hornets are 0-6 ATS on the road without rest when visiting one of the other 7 Western Conference playoff teams. Houston, meanwhile, applies to a 40-8 ATS subset of a 121-69-3 ATS final week angle and the Rockets are 27-12 ATS this season after a point spread loss (they failed to cover at Golden State on Friday). My ratings favor Houston by 7.7 points, so I’m not getting the line value I was looking for, but I’ll lean with the Rockets at -8 and I’d take Houston in a 2-Star Best Bet at -7 ½ or less.