PDA

View Full Version : Rampage got "Machida Flu"

Mr. IWS
06-01-2009, 02:05 PM
With current No. 1 contender Quinton "Rampage" Jackson electing to face Rashad Evans rather than take an immediate shot at regaining the UFC's light-heavyweight title, Brazilian slugger Mauricio "Shogun" Rua has reportedly agreed to be new champ Lyoto Machida's first title challenger.

While speculation of the potential bout has been widely circulating since the announcement of Jackson and Evans as coaches on "TUF 10," Portuguese-language website SuperLutas reports Rua has signed on for the bout.

Attempts by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com)) to confirm the reports with Machida's camp were unsuccessful.

UFC President Dana White himself began the speculation when he posted the message "Look who's in the office today!!!" on his Twitter account Tuesday afternoon. The message included a photo of White with Rua.

The SuperLutas report claims Rua signed a contract extension and agreed to the Machida fight at that time.

Rua last fought in April, earning a first-round TKO victory over Chuck Liddell. Following the bout, White made it clear he was impressed with the performance.

"I think 'Shogun' proved tonight that all the people that were talking about him – I said this earlier – this kid had ring rust," White said at the UFC 97 post-event press conference. "He had been off for a while. He had two knee surgeries. You just can't sit out that long, I don't care who you are. Muhammad Ali, whoever.

"Anybody who's taken too much time off in the ring, it hurts you. You've got to get back on your horse, get in there and start fighting again. 'Shogun' proved tonight that he's back. He got hit with some big shots from a guy who knocks people out. He took them. He was throwing hard leg kicks form the beginning of the fight."

Machida's official website still lists Jackson as his next opponent, the same claim White made following the Brazilian's title win over Evans at Saturday night's UFC 98.

However, Jackson has since made it known he volunteered for "TUF" coaching duties for a chance to meet Evans and address the rivalry that began with an in-cage showdown following "Rampage's" win at UFC 96 in March.

Should the report hold true, the Machida vs. Rua bout could serve as a potential headliner for the UFC's recently announced Oct. 24 event at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Luke
06-01-2009, 10:23 PM
I seen this and didnt have chance to post it thanks for getting it up here.

I really dont think Rampage is scared of Machida because he has fought and beat better competition than Loyoto imo.

I think he is just looking for more money by coaching and fighting Evans first(two paychecks instead of one) . Rampage should destroy Evans setting up a even bigger pay day again Machida

Luke
06-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Let me also say after Rampage beats Evan he will lose to Machida. Loyoto's style is a horrible fit for Rampage.

Mr. IWS
06-02-2009, 08:32 AM
I think Rampage will kill Evans, but I gotta disagree with you, I think Machida will beat Rampage.

I think the old Shogun Rua, from pride, has a good style to beat Machida, but I dont think he will ever be like that again.

Luke
06-02-2009, 12:38 PM
I think Rampage will kill Evans, but I gotta disagree with you, I think Machida will beat Rampage.

I think the old Shogun Rua, from pride, has a good style to beat Machida, but I dont think he will ever be like that again.

I think Machida will win also against Rampage ,you must have still been sleepy when you read my last post

Mr. IWS
06-02-2009, 01:25 PM

I think Machida will win also against Rampage ,you must have still been sleepy when you read my last post

::lmao:: ::lmao::
::sleep::

Luke
06-02-2009, 06:23 PM
[quote="IWS Zak":2aim3qh3]I think Rampage will kill Evans, but I gotta disagree with you, I think Machida will beat Rampage.

::sleep::[/quote:2aim3qh3]