PDA

View Full Version : Cro Cop decides to leave UFC after todays fight

Luke
06-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Notebook: Cro Cop leaves UFC
By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports
2 hours, 10 minutes ago

COLOGNE, Germany – Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic’s return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship was a short one.

Not long after stopping Mostapha Al-Turk in the first round of UFC 99 on Saturday at Lanxess Arena in his first fight in the UFC since back-to-back losses in 2007, Filipovic informed UFC president Dana White that he had signed a three-fight contract with the Japan-based DREAM.

White had signed Filipovic less than a month ago to a one-fight deal, the first time in more than nine years that he’d done that. He had worked out terms on two additional fights, but said he’d only put pen to paper for Saturday’s bout.

He brought Filipovic back because he knew the Croat is still very popular and Filipovic insisted he wanted to make a run for the title.

That proved not to be the truth. After turning down much tougher opposition, including Cain Velasquez, who defeated Cheick Kongo later on the card, he wound up with the lightly regarded Al-Turk.
But instead of getting a shot at big names like Randy Couture or Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and fighting his way into title contention, Filipovic opted to bolt for Japan.

“Isn’t that a dirty [expletive] thing to do?” White asked rhetorically after being queried about Filipovic’s deal with DREAM. “He [expletived] me. The first time in the history of the company I do one over the phone. He promised me a three-fight deal and he [expletived] me.”

Filipovic looked unsteady and hardly impressive in defeating Al-Turk, who is winless in the UFC. He never landed one of his vaunted kicks and the fight ended not from a punch but when he poked Al-Turk in the eye with his finger.

Referee Dan Miragliotta didn’t see the poke, so it was regarded as a clean blow and Filipovic won by stoppage.

Filipovic was fighting five months to the day after knee surgery, one of several injuries he said kept him from performing at his best in his first stint in the UFC. Before the fight, he called his 1-2 UFC record “the black spot” on his career.

While speaking with reporters on a prefight conference call, Filipovic enthused about his return and said he was gunning for a title shot. All the while, he apparently knew he was in it for a one-fight deal.

He texted White on White’s cellular phone and told him he wanted to return. White said Filipovic declined numerous opponents.
Apparently, Filipovic, who is from Croatia, wanted to fight in Germany and use the UFC bout as a tuneup. He did and is now Dream bound, but he’ll almost certainly never fight in the UFC again.

“He didn’t keep his word,” White said, who said he’d had a two-hour talk with Filipovic on the day Filipovic texted and asked to be able to return. “He talked about honor and all this other [expletive] and he [expletived] me.

“He fed me this bull [expletive] about wanting to take a run for the title, and what I think he did was, he went out and did this. He turned down every other [expletive] fighter I offered him, because I needed him to fight Cain. He didn’t just poke Al-Turk; he poked me, too.”

As is his custom, Filipovic skipped the postfight news conference and could not be reached to comment on the DREAM deal.

Luke
06-13-2009, 10:33 PM
::lmao::

Hows it feel to get set up and screwed over Dana?

Sounds like Cro Cop had this planned out for quite a while

Mr. IWS
07-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Now he is back...LOL Money talks I guess:

The on-again-off-again relationship between Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic and the UFC may be on-again.

In a Tuesday report on graciemag.com, up-and-comer Junior Dos Santos says it is, by way of a fight with the Croatian MMA star at UFC 103. The bout would headline the Sept. 19 event hosted by the American Airlines Center in Dallas.

Dos Santos was originally scheduled to face Justin McCully at UFC 102 before being removed from the card.

“To me it’s incredible,” said the Brazilian. “When they asked me if they could change the fight date I was a bit bothered, because I wanted to fight right away. I’ve been away for some time now. But the Fertitta brothers asked me and I accepted. After that I found out it would be against Cro Cop and was overjoyed. It’ll be a big opportunity in my career. Lots of good things have happened in my life and this is one more. I’m going to make the most of it.”

Following a controversial win over Mustapha Al-Turk at UFC 99, Cro Cop made headlines by reportedly snubbing a two-fight UFC deal for a contract with Dream. The feared striker subsequently told Croatian news outlets that the snafu had been a misunderstanding and his decision to stray was based on the UFC’s offered timetable for future fights.

Late last week, Croatian website Index.hr reported that Lorenzo Fertitta flew to Cro Cop’s Zagreb home to re-establish contact and offer a new deal for his UFC return. The deal was reportedly “an offer he couldn’t refuse.”

According to MMAWeekly.com’s sources, Cro Cop has dropped out of an announced fight with Siala “Mighty Mo” Siliga at Dream 10 on July 20.

Though it’s conceivable that Cro Cop could make both fights, it appears he has chosen to remain inside the Octagon.

In the build-up to UFC 99, Cro Cop said a UFC title was in his sights.

“I just want to return to the top,” he said. ” I just want to prove to everyone that they were wrong.”

# For all the latest MMA news, go to MMAWeekly.com

Luke
07-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Make up your mind Cro Cop or I'll send Gabriel Gonzaga on your ass again

Mr. IWS
07-10-2009, 07:09 AM

Dana White is a fuckin hipocrite. He got all pissed that Cro Cop backed out of a verbal deal, but it was cool for Cro Cop to back out of the fight he had scheduled on July 20th in Japan.

Luke
07-10-2009, 10:23 AM

Dana White is a fuckin hipocrite. He got all pissed that Cro Cop backed out of a verbal deal, but it was cool for Cro Cop to back out of the fight he had scheduled on July 20th in Japan.

It was money in his pocket in Cro Cop backed out of Dream and came back to the UFC so he didnt care. I have never liked Dana White one bit

Mr. IWS
07-10-2009, 10:51 AM
I love what Dana does for the sport for the most part, but he is a fuckin asshole bully sometimes with shit.

Luke
07-10-2009, 11:53 AM
I love what Dana does for the sport for the most part, but he is a fuckin asshole bully sometimes with shit.

Yeah I love the UFC and what he has done but I hate him for the fact he doesnt pay the fighters shit and is now trying to sign most of them to lifetime contracts