PDA

View Full Version : 6-18-09

Mr. IWS
06-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Brandon Lang

15 Dime Athletics - Not sure where it came from, but the Athletics went up huge on the MLB-leading Dodgers last night and held off the home team's late rally to nab the win.

I think we're going to see the momentum carry over to tonight, while the Dodgers' offensive doldrums continue against rookie hurler Vin Mazzaro, who makes his fourth career start while the A's send a rookie to the hill for the 14th time in 17 games.

Mazarro, who is 2-1 with a 1.37 ERA on the year, didn’t allow a run over his first 17-2/3 innings. He's been a bright spot in this rookie-laden rotation, and has lived up to the reputation that got him drafted out of high school in Rutherford, New Jersey in the third round in 2005.

I remember reading about this kid a couple of times the past couple of year, during the review of Spring Training, and the young hurlers for each team, and I can tell you it's abundantly clear he's made substantial improvements with his stuff, while refining his command. He's far ahead of where he was two years ago., and should remain a fixture in this rotation for quite some time.

What I like is his confidence and the continued improvement with his secondary stuff. He's steady and willing to throw his junk in precarious situations in the middle of the count, and that's essential against a team like this.

Count on the A's to get it done, as my top play scores again.

5 Dime Reds - Two young hurlers take the mound today, and I'm going to side with Reds southpaw Matt Maloney. He's pitched six innings and allowed six hits in each of his first two starts with the Reds. He didn't factor in the decision in his debut against the Cubs and took the loss against the Royals. Other than being prone to giving up the lone ball, he's looked composed on the hill, and shown a strong sense of maturity. I'm thinking his teammates will get him some runs in this matinee clash in front of the home crowd at Great American Ballpark. The Braves have lost four straight and six of seven, while Cincinnati has won two straight now. The Reds make it three in a row, while Maloney gets his first-ever win.

5 Dime Mariners - Won with the M's yesterday, we take them again in this matinee against one of the worst teams in baseball. San Diego has lost a major league-record 13-games in Interleague play and 10 straight to the Mariners at PETCO Park. The Friars have lost five in a row overall, and 24 of their last 28 games against American League teams. It doesn't matter who takes the hill for either team, but it appears it will be Josh Geer for the Pads, and he's been worthless, at 1-2 with a 6.14 ERA. He's taking Jake Peavy's spot, and comes in after allowing a career-worst seven runs and nine hits over 5-2/3 innings in a 9-1 loss to the Halos this past Saturday, when he also surrendered a career-high four home runs. Geer ranks among the National League leaders (which is actually among the worst) with 14 home runs allowed, while San Diego has lost his last four appearances. Take the M's in this one.

5 Dime Rays - Two of the hottest team in the majors finish their series today in a matinee soiree, and I'll take last year's World Series runner-up over the previous year's runner-up. Colorado had won 11 straight before getting shelled 12-4 on Tuesday, which was the Rays' sixth straight win for the longest run in the majors at the time. Last night Colorado ended that streak, winning 5-3. In deciding this series, I have to side with my boy Matt Garza, one of the best junkballers in the game, as he's going to look to avenge what he has to be thinking was an unsatisfactory outing against the lowly Nationals. He threw 116 pitches over 5-2/3 innings last Friday and walked four while allowing three runs and seven hits. He didn't get the decision, though the Rays won the game. And since he hasn’t been able to last through the sixth inning in his last two starts, and hasn’t won since May 16, look for his best stuff tonight for the road win.

FREE - Royals

Mr. IWS
06-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Root
CC---------------------------St Louis
Mill---------------------------Dodgers