PDA

View Full Version : Disaster for Affliction

Mr. IWS
07-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Affliction Entertainment and M-1 Global are looking for a new opponent to face Fedor Emelianenko at Affliction “Trilogy” on Aug. 1 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

Multiple sources have told Sherdog.com that the California State Athletic Commission will not license Josh Barnett after a positive test result. Calls to Affliction Entertainment were not immediately returned. The CSAC said a comprehensive statement would be issued Wednesday.

Barnett said he had not been notified of any issues with his eligibility as of Tuesday evening.

“I took my test three weeks ago. I would have thought I would have heard something by now,” Barnett told Sherdog.com.

However, the former UFC heavyweight champion said he had not checked his phone messages recently and later added, “No matter what happens with this, I can assure you I will clear my name. This will not be something that I am defined by.”

Vitor Belfort has agreed in principle to face the world’s No. 1 heavyweight on 11 days’ notice, according to two separate sources close to the negotiations. One source told Sherdog.com that Emelianenko will have the opportunity to choose between Belfort and Bobby Lashley. Lashley has denied knowing anything about replacing Barnett, though.

"I don't know if I would want it right now. Since the last fight, I haven't really been into training again," he said. "That fight is next week. That would be something I would really have to take a look at. To just jump in there probably wouldn't be the smartest thing for me right now. A lot of people would say that might be a money fight. They figure, 'If we give him enough money, will he do it?' That's what people tend to look at. I don't want to get into fighting for the money so much right now.”

Belfort, a former UFC light heavyweight champion, is scheduled to face American Top Team standout Jorge Santiago in a middleweight bout on the Aug. 1 card.

Mr. IWS
07-22-2009, 10:40 AM
First of all, it would be fuckin Murder if they throw lashley in there vs Fedor.

Second, as good as Belfort's boxing is, once Fedor gets his hands on Vitor, you can wrap it up.

This will probably be the last show for Affliction in my opinion.

Mr. IWS
07-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Affliction Entertainment Vice President Tom Atencio confirmed Wednesday to Sherdog.com that Josh Barnett has been pulled from an Aug. 1 matchup against Fedor Emelianenko.

The fight was scheduled to headline Affliction and M-1 Global’s “Trilogy” event at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., but Atencio said that the California State Athletic Commission will not license Barnett because he has tested positive for a banned substance. The CSAC will release a statement Wednesday.

Atencio also said he hopes to secure a replacement Wednesday but would not comment on the new matchup until a deal is signed.

Sherdog.com reported Tuesday that Vitor Belfort has agreed in principle to face Fedor, according to two separate sources close to the negotiations. Bobby Lashley is also being considered, among others, but Tuesday night he denied knowing anything about replacing Barnett.

Mr. IWS
07-22-2009, 03:34 PM
That fuckin blows. I was really looking foward to that fight.

Barnett is a fuckin asshole. This is the second time he got popped for roids. He is a Piece of shit.

Luke
07-22-2009, 10:48 PM
That fuckin blows. I was really looking foward to that fight.

Barnett is a fuckin asshole. This is the second time he got popped for roids. He is a Piece of shit.

I agree Barnett is a f-ing moron for doing this and Belfort is going to lose bad. Lanshely would just get killed like you said

This sucks for Afflicition this might ruin them

Mr. IWS
07-23-2009, 08:22 AM
The should bet Seth Petrizelli like Elite XC did...LOL

Luke
07-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Was Belfort figthinng at 185 or 205 for his fight before he got stuck with Fedor?

Mr. IWS
07-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Was Belfort figthinng at 185 or 205 for his fight before he got stuck with Fedor?

185. he was bitching before the card was announced, that he didnt want to go up to 205 to fight Mosasi or Babalu, but I guess they made him a sweet deal to go up the HW and get the shit beat out of him.

Luke
07-23-2009, 01:16 PM

185. he was bitching before the card was announced, that he didnt want to go up to 205 to fight Mosasi or Babalu, but I guess they made him a sweet deal to go up the HW and get the shit beat out of him.

185? ::jaydrop::

Fedor is going to outweigh him by 50 pounds ::lmao::

Mr. IWS
07-23-2009, 01:27 PM
He probably cuts to 185, so he sould be around 200-205 when he gets in the ring, but Fedor will still be around 230-235. Thats a huge advantage.

Mr. IWS
07-24-2009, 02:01 PM
A week of misfortune turned to disaster for Affliction Entertainment on Friday, as the promotion canceled Affliction “Trilogy,” which had been scheduled for Aug. 1 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

SI.com reported the news Friday morning, and Sherdog.com has confirmed that Affliction is notifying fighters' camps.

The cancellation -- which could spell the end of Affliction's year-long run as a mixed martial arts promotion -- comes on the heels of heavyweight Josh Barnett's failed drug test, which forced him out of the “Trilogy” main event against Fedor Emelianenko on Wednesday. Barnett, 32, tested positive for a banned anabolic steroid and was denied licensure by the California State Athletic Commission.

Promoters scrambled to find a replacement opponent for Emelianenko and reportedly considered middleweight Vitor Belfort, light heavyweight prospect Muhammed Lawal and heavyweights Brett Rogers, Paul Buentello, Jeff Monson and Bobby Lashley.

Mr. IWS
07-24-2009, 02:02 PM
What a disaster. Barnett fucked that whole company.

Think of all the guys on the card that wont be getting paid now. They put all that time in training, and he fucked it up for everyone.

Mr. IWS
07-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Somewhere Dana White is laughing his ass off.

Mr. IWS
07-24-2009, 08:00 PM
This shit just gets more and more wierd.. Now affliction is out of buisness and is sponsering the UFC?

This is like being friends with the guy that fucked your wife.

Later on Friday, Affliction opted to get out of the promoting business and, in a joint statement with the Ultimate Fighting Championship
, announced it would become a sponsor of the UFC. The fate of the fighters under contract with Affliction is not known yet.

Mr. IWS
07-24-2009, 08:01 PM
::lmao::

Luke
07-24-2009, 10:13 PM
::lmao::

Good one Barnett .

I bet everyone will be scrambling to sign his dum ass now