PDA

View Full Version : Fedor Open to UFC Talks

Luke
07-27-2009, 01:18 PM
The cancellation of Affliction “Trilogy” and resulting collapse of Affliction Entertainment as a mixed martial arts promotion, leaves the UFC with perhaps its best chance to date to land former Pride Fighting Championships heavyweight titleholder Fedor Emelianenko.

Still, Vadim Finkelchtein, Emelianenko’s manager and M-1 Global president, clings to the idea that the Russian’s involvement with the UFC will only come through co-promotional efforts.

“This is the moment of truth that the UFC has talked about,” Finkelchtein said in a statement on the M-1 Global Web site. “Fedor and I are here in the states. If they want to come out and fly here, we are ready to conduct negotiations. Of course, it still doesn’t imply we are ready to accept any conditions they’ll throw at us. We want to talk to the UFC about having Fedor compete against some of their fighters, but only within the framework of co-promotional efforts with M-1 Global.”

Unbeaten in his past 27 fights, Emelianenko (30-1, 1 NC) flattened former UFC champions Andrei Arlovski and Tim Sylvia in his most recent outings in the ring. The 32-year-old Russian knocked out Arlovski with one punch 3:14 into their match at Affliction “Day of Reckoning,” as he posted his 10th consecutive victory since a no contest in 2004.

Hard to handle on his feet and on the ground, Emelianenko has finished his last five opponents inside one round and holds victories against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, 2006 Pride Open Weight Grand Prix winner Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic and former UFC heavyweight champions Mark Coleman and Kevin Randleman. He has delivered 23 of his 30 career wins by knockout, technical knockout or submission.

Emelianenko was booked to face Josh Barnett in the Affliction “Trilogy” main event on Aug. 1 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. However, the bout fell through when Barnett tested positive for a banned anabolic agent, causing the entire event to collapse. What move Emelianenko, the world’s top heavyweight, makes from here remains to be seen.

“We are now with Fedor in the US, and we hope to make a decision about his next fight within the next few days,” Finkelchtein said. “There are many business meetings and negotiations planned with all the major promotions.”

Luke
07-27-2009, 01:19 PM
I think he'll go wherever the money is ,I dont think cares if its UFC or whatever he just wants the big money

Mr. IWS
07-27-2009, 01:30 PM
but only within the framework of co-promotional efforts with M-1 Global.”

As long as thats a sticking point, he wont be in the UFC. Dana aint going for that co-promotion shit.

Luke
07-27-2009, 02:21 PM
but only within the framework of co-promotional efforts with M-1 Global.”

As long as thats a sticking point, he wont be in the UFC. Dana aint going for that co-promotion shit.

Is he on contract with M-1 global ?

Mr. IWS
07-27-2009, 02:35 PM
From what Ive read, his agent owns them, so that means Fedor pretty much owns a chunk of them.

Mr. IWS
07-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Although it is nothing more than pure speculation at this point and there has been no official announcement, it appears as though Fedor Emelianenko could possibly be coming to the UFC sooner than many had expected.

According to a recent report by Lance Pugmire of The Los Angeles Times, The UFC is expected to announce an agreement with “The Last Emperor” at a press conference scheduled for this Friday.

The report in The Los Angeles Times quoted a “source with information about the negotiations”, so this thing is far from a done deal.

The man himself, Fedor Emelianenko is set to hold his own press conference this Wednesday, which will be two days prior to the UFC’s.

Mr. IWS
07-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Denying a published report Tuesday by the Los Angeles Times, M-1 Global officials told SI.com that Fedor Emelianenko and the Ultimate Fighting Championship are not close to finalizing a deal that would bring mixed martial arts' top heavyweight in the Octagon.

"I can give you a guarantee it's not accurate," said Apy Echteld of M-1 Global, a St. Petersburg, Russia-based promotion and management company of which Emelianenko is an equity stakeholder.

According to the Times' report -- which referenced an unnamed source unaffiliated with the UFC and "with information about the negotiations" -- UFC president Dana White was set to announce the signing of Emelianenko on Friday. The source also said negotiations between the top MMA promoter and the Russian champion's camp were "very civil," and that both groups were discussing details on the pending public announcement.

Echteld declined to comment on negotiations between M-1 Global and the UFC, which are rumored to be taking place Tuesday in Los Angeles. He pointed to a press conference Wednesday in Anaheim, Calif., for "important" news on Emelianenko's fate.

Mr. IWS
07-29-2009, 11:50 AM
lol, right back where they started.

Luke
07-29-2009, 02:35 PM
lol, right back where they started.

I figured it was going to take a ton of money to get him signed

Mr. IWS
07-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Fedor is having a press conference today, hopefully he says he is ufc bound.

Luke
07-29-2009, 04:30 PM

Post it when you find out what happened

Mr. IWS
07-29-2009, 06:16 PM

Post it when you find out what happened

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Fedor Emelianenko, the top-ranked heavyweight in the world, will not fight in the UFC unless Dana White and company agree to co-promote with Emelianenko’s partners at M-1 Global.

M-1 Global CEO Vadim Finkelstein made that clear Wednesday at a news conference. Finkelstein confirmed that M-1 Global had negotiated with UFC officials as recently as Tuesday.

“We are open,” Finkelstein said. “We do want to work with the UFC. We do want to work with other promotions.”

Finkelstein said the UFC made a new offer to Emelianenko, and M-1 Global made a counteroffer. However, Finkelstein said Emeliananko would not proceed without a co-promotional effort between M-1 and the UFC where they shared expenses and profits.

Finkelstein also communicated that the UFC's representation in the media of his negotiations with the organization has not been accurate. He said Emelianenko has been made completely aware of any deals, past and present, that have been offered.

“I have 100 percent faith in Vadim and M-1 Global," Emelianenko said.

M-1 Global also pressured the UFC by saying they are in talks with other shows, including Strikeforce.

“We're not going to wait,” Finkelstein said. “We have to move forward. It might be that very soon we will be able to announce a deal with another promotion. I'm going to tell you that we're only going to work under co-promotion conditions.”

Luke
07-29-2009, 06:34 PM
give it 8 -12 months .When all the Lesnar hype goes away and they need a big headliner to fight him these two sides will start talking .

I remember when Lewis was with HBO and Tyson was with showtime and they thought they were never going to make that fight becuase they had to co promote it. They got those two together so I'm sure they can get Lesnar and Fedor in the ring.

When theres a ton of money to be made they'll make the fight eventually

Mr. IWS
07-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Looks like the UFC did show them the money. I got this from Sherdog.com

So we all know the deal with M-1 and what they are saying about co-promotion. I'm not here to say who's right and wrong in this deal, but I can tell you some of the specifics that were offered to Fedor.....

- The UFC offered Fedor a 6 fight, 30 million dollar contract. That's 5 mil a fight

- The UFC offered Fedor an immediate title shot

- Lesnar/Fedor would be the biggest PPV in MMA history (we assume), and the UFC offered M-1 Global a cut of the PPV on top of Fedor's purse.

- Fedor was free to wear as many M-1 logoed items as he wished.

- The UFC also relented on allowing Fedor to compete in combat sambo.

Apparently, for good or bad, M-1 refuses to sign a deal unless the UFC agrees to co-promote.

I can tell you right now, the boys at ZUFFA will never, EVER agree to that. So if M-1 doesnt relent on that item alone, the Fedor to UFC talks are dead. Look for Team Emelianenko to turn to Strikeforce next. With co-promotions already in the books with Affliction, that shouldnt be a stopping point.

Luke
07-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Well at least UFC tried to show Fedor the money but its looks like M-1 wanted more of the profits.

If I was Fedor I would have took 6 fights for 30 million in a heart beat

Mr. IWS
07-30-2009, 01:42 PM

Ill fight a fuckin 6 Lions for that money.

Luke
07-30-2009, 02:15 PM

Ill fight a fuckin 6 Lions for that money.

::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao::

Luke
07-30-2009, 07:20 PM
M-1: Fedor Not Offered $30 Million

M-1 Global is denying a report that Fedor Emelianenko turned down a six-fight $30-million deal this week to join the UFC’s heavyweight ranks.

CBS Radio host Carmichael Dave reported Wednesday that Emelianenko had turned down an agreement that would have paid him $5 million per fight. However, Joost Raimond, CEO for M-1 Global, called the report “completely ludicrous” and said negotiations never even reached the point where the number of fights contracted for Emelianenko was decided.

“I can say that the guaranteed -- and the word ‘guaranteed’ is of great importance here -- the guaranteed offer made by the UFC is less than what Fedor made before,” Raimond said. “The five-million (per fight) is way, way, way out of range. Half of that is even way out of range of what they offered.”

Raimond was not present at the meeting that took place between UFC and M-1 management in Los Angeles earlier this week, but he said he was debriefed shortly afterward. M-1 and UFC officials, including president Dana White, reconvened the next day via teleconference call, where M-1 presented a counteroffer that included co-promotion. No written contact was ever presented.

M-1 President Vadim Finkelstein and Emelianenko were en route to Russia Thursday and could not be reached for comment. UFC officials told Sherdog.com that White is also traveling and their earliest comment would come Friday during a media conference call.

Raimond confirmed that M-1 Global had been presented with the possibility to receive a cut of pay-per-view profits in addition to Emelianenko’s guaranteed pay, but he said no other profit-sharing incentives were presented.

“And there were a number of provisions attached to that offer that made it very much less interesting,” Raimond said.

Many of those provisions involved the branding of M-1 within the UFC organization, according to Raimond.

“We made it clear that Fedor, now and forever is part, even part owner, of M-1 and those two cannot be separated,” Raimond said. “If the rest of M-1 is excluded from any kind of deal, it makes the deal difficult.”

Raimond said a title shot against heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar –- in Emelianenko’s first fight or otherwise -- was not specified during the talks. (UFC President Dana White has publicly stated the Russian would challenge for the title in his first bout with the promotion, though.) Raimond also confirmed that the UFC conceded to allow Emelianenko to continue to compete in sambo, of which he is a national champion and spokesman, and noted during the meeting that the fighter was free to wear M-1 clothing.

“That’s like telling someone they’re allowed to eat,” said Raimond, suggesting it wasn’t a significant concession.

Raimond noted that the M-1 team was disheartened to learn that “unsubstantiated rumors” had been disseminated, and that Internet readers were willing to believe them at face value.

“Sometimes the fans don’t realize that there is a business to run and all these statements, ‘These M-1 idiots, why don’t they just give Fedor to the UFC because they’ve offered him the best money?’ This is a completely unsubstantiated rumor that the UFC has offered the best money for Fedor ever. This is just not the case.”

Raimond emphasized that negotiations with the UFC had been fruitful, even though the fundamental disagreement over co-promotion between the two organizations remains.

“We had a very professional, productive and respectful meeting with the UFC,” Raimond said. “I think both parties walked away (knowing) even though a deal wasn’t made, that a very decent meeting was had.”

Mr. IWS
07-31-2009, 09:46 AM
This shit is a soap opera now.

Luke
07-31-2009, 01:12 PM
This shit is a soap opera now.

no kidding ::lmao::

Luke
07-31-2009, 01:22 PM
In the interview with Fedor sherdog found out he has 3 fights left on his contract with M-1 Global after those 3 fights he can go anywhere he wants

Mr. IWS
07-31-2009, 01:26 PM
In the interview with Fedor sherdog found out he has 3 fights left on his contract with M-1 Global after those 3 fights he can go anywhere he wants

Thats at least another year to year and a half away. He aint getting any younger. I wish they would just get this done.

Mr. IWS
07-31-2009, 02:00 PM
Vice president of M1 Jerry Millen is a fuckin moron.

Ray Hui: If the UFC deal doesn't happen do you think Fedor is being sacrificed for the sake of the sport?

Fedor's not being sacrificed because Fedor is going to fight. I think wherever Fedor fights, it's gonna be whatever's best for the sport of MMA. At the end of the day those fans [that are complaining now] are going to say "Fedor made the right choice," because he did what was best for the sport and what was best for MMA. Maybe he will be in the UFC, but it's gotta be a co-promotion. We're not asking for anything that's crazy, we're willing to take half the risk. We're willing to take half the profit or half the loss.

Going back to co-promotion, so you're saying co-promotion for M-1 means a 50/50 investment between the two parties?

Yeah, yeah. You sit down with the hard numbers. What's the fight purses? What's the venue? What's the advertising budget? Travel, food, throw it all in a pot, split it down the middle, and at the end of the event if the ink is black and there's a profit, split the profit, and if the ink is red, then just split the loss.

Mr. IWS
07-31-2009, 06:11 PM
::fight::

Luke
07-31-2009, 10:09 PM
::fight::

::lmao:: ::lmao::

LMAO that shits hilarious

Mr. IWS
08-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Dana litteraly throwing money at Fedor. LOL

Luke
08-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Dana litteraly throwing money at Fedor. LOL

The second one is good but that first one with Dana chasing him around the ring cracks me up everytime I watch it