PDA

View Full Version : Gatti's death ruled suicide

Luke
07-30-2009, 02:35 PM
RIO DE JANEIRO -- A Brazilian police investigation has determined that the death of boxer Arturo Gatti was a suicide and a court has ordered the release of his wife, once suspected of killing him, officials said Thursday.

Lead investigator Paulo Alberes told The Associated Press authorities found that Gatti killed himself on July 11 in a seaside resort in northeastern Brazil.

When asked if police had determined the case was a suicide, Alberes said "yes." He offered no other details, but said he would hold a news conference later in the day.

A day after Gatti was found dead, police said that his 23-year-old Brazilian wife, Amanda Rodrigues, had strangled him with her purse strap as he drunkenly slept.

But police began to back off the accusation about a week later after a coroner's report said that Gatti may have killed himself as he was found hanged and suspended. Rodrigues' lawyer said at the time that proved his client's innocence because she could not have physically lifted Gatti.

A spokeswoman for the Pernambuco state court in the city of Recife confirmed that judge Ildete Verissimo de Lima ordered the release of Rodrigues.

The judge wrote in the ruling that police informed the court that "the detention of the suspect was no longer needed" as the investigation "excludes the possibility of murder."

"The victim ... committed suicide by hanging," Lima's ruling read, referring to the police investigation findings.

Rodrigues will walk out of jail Thursday afternoon, said her lawyer, Celio Avelino.

Gatti was found dead in the apartment he was renting with Rodrigues in the resort town of Porto de Galinhas.

The pair, who had a tumultuous marriage, had arrived there a few days before Gatti's death for a second honeymoon. The couple brought their 10-month-old son, who was unhurt and is in the care of Rodrigues' family in Brazil.

The 37-year-old Gatti, who captured two world titles in his 16-year pro career, retired in 2007 with a record of 40-9.

Gatti's family and friends in his adopted hometown of Montreal have denied the accusation the boxer could have killed himself.

"Nobody believes whatsoever that there's even a 1 percent chance of a suicide. He lived life to the fullest," Ivano Scarpa, a close Gatti family friend, said at the boxer's July 20 funeral service in Canada.

But Rodrigues, in a July 15 letter that she handed over to the AP from prison, said: "I'm innocent and I know that this will be proven in a few days."

Luke
07-30-2009, 02:38 PM
This shit just gets crazier and crazier.

Sure seems funny it was ruled a homicide first and now its suicide ,usually its the other way around.How could they even think it was a homicide and then just decide he killed himself ?

This smells fishy to me

Mr. IWS
07-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Gatti may have killed himself as he was found hanged and suspended.

I thought they found him laying in the bed next to his wife?

Luke
07-30-2009, 04:11 PM

Its Brazil give them enough money and they'll say anything

Mr. IWS
07-30-2009, 04:17 PM

Its Brazil give them enough money and they'll say anything

::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao::

They will say his alive pretty soon.

Luke
07-30-2009, 07:12 PM
[/quote]

::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao::

They will say his alive pretty soon.[/quote]

::lmao::

Luke
07-31-2009, 10:16 PM
RIO DE JANEIRO -- Boxer Arturo Gatti's body was exhumed Friday to allow the Quebec coroner's office to perform a new autopsy at his family's request.

The development comes a day after Brazilian police classified Gatti's death as a suicide.

Until Thursday, police in the northeastern Brazil city of Recife considered it a homicide, with his wife as the prime suspect. Now, police say Gatti hanged himself with a handbag strap from a staircase column more than seven feet off the ground.

Gilles Ethier, deputy chief coroner of the western part of the Province of Quebec, said Gatti's family had retained an American pathologist, who will assist with the autopsy Saturday morning at the Montreal morgue.

"Clearly, it's necessary for us to pursue the investigation," Ethier said. "Of course, it's a little more complex for the pathologist because the body has been embalmed."

Gatti's Montreal funeral was July 20.

Many of his friends and family have expressed disbelief at the suicide ruling, and Canadian Foreign Minister Lawrence Cannon said in a statement Friday that government officials will seek more information from Brazilian authorities on the Gatti investigation and its findings.

Ellen Haley, a spokeswoman for Main Events, the longtime promoter of Gatti's bouts, said in a statement "we do not believe that he took his own life."

Luke
07-31-2009, 10:16 PM
It looks like some people dont believe it was a suicide

Mr. IWS
08-03-2009, 11:57 AM
man, they really tried to frame this lady:

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Arturo Gatti hanged himself with a handbag strap from a staircase column more than seven feet off the ground, Brazilian police said Friday as they released new details about the boxer's death.

Milena Saraiva, a spokeswoman for police in the northeastern city of Recife, provided more information about Gatti's suicide a day after authorities reversed their stance on the case. Until Thursday, they insisted it was a homicide and the boxer's wife was tagged as the primary suspect.

"This case has been resolved. While the evidence at the scene first led us to think Gatti was murdered, the autopsy results and a detailed crime scene analysis simply pointed to a different outcome," Saraiva said.

On Thursday, a judge ordered the release of Gatti's wife, 23-year-old Amanda Rodrigues, who had been held since July 12 in Recife. She and Gatti arrived with their 10-month-old son a few days before in the resort town of Porto de Galinhas, where they rented a two-level apartment.

Police ultimately concluded that Gatti hanged himself in the apartment early on July 11 from a wooden staircase column that was 7.3 feet off the ground. He stood on a stool and kicked it out from underneath him, police said. The autopsy report said Gatti was suspended for about three hours before his body fell to the floor.

Rodrigues said she was sleeping with the pair's son in an upstairs bedroom. She told police she went downstairs about 6 a.m. to get milk for the boy and saw Gatti's body on the floor, but assumed he was drunkenly sleeping. It was not until she went back downstairs at 9 a.m. that she discovered Gatti was dead and called police. Saraiva said no suicide note was found.

"The first investigators to arrive at the scene only saw his body on the floor and the bloodied strap near his body," Saraiva said. "They assumed his wife strangled him."

Saraiva said 17 witnesses told police that the pair got into a loud fight on a street near the beach in Porto de Galinhas the night before Gatti died. Saraiva said Gatti had seven cans of beer, along with two bottles of wine, over the course of dinner and partying at a bar.

Witnesses told police Gatti at one point picked up Rodrigues, who weighs about 100 pounds, by her chin with his right hand and tossed her to the ground.

Saraiva said at that point a security guard for a local hotel intervened, only to be punched in the face by Gatti. A small crowd that had gathered around the scene grew angry, with some throwing stones and even a bicycle at the boxer, the police spokeswoman said.

One stone hit Gatti in the back of the head, causing a wound that police originally said was caused by a small steak knife that was found near his body -- and which police showed off to reporters the day after Gatti's death.

The fracas eventually broke up, and Gatti and Rodrigues returned to the apartment in separate taxis.

In an telephone interview with the Associated Press as she walked out of jail Thursday, Rodrigues said Gatti may have killed himself because he feared she would leave him after their fight, one of many during a rocky two-year marriage.

"I believe that when we got home and he saw that he hurt me, he thought I would leave him, that I would tell him to just let me go, that I would separate from him," she said. "He did that in a moment of weakness. He was drunk, maybe he didn't know what he was doing, maybe he thought I would leave him the next day."

According to records at the Court of Quebec's criminal and penal division, Gatti was charged on April 16 for violating a restraining order that had been filed against him. Records didn't indicate who filed the restraining order, but Gatti's mother, Ida, confirmed it was Rodrigues who had taken one out against him.

Gatti, a Canadian who captured two world titles in his 16-year pro career, retired in 2007 with a record of 40-9.

Many of his friends and family have expressed disbelief at the suicide ruling, and Canadian Foreign Minister Lawrence Cannon said in a statement Friday that government officials will seek more information from Brazilian authorities on the Gatti investigation and its findings.

Ellen Haley, a spokeswoman for Main Events, the longtime promoter of Gatti's bouts, said in a statement "we do not believe that he took his own life."

She said members of the Gatti family, along with his boxing manager Pat Lynch, will carry out their own investigation. "We believe that once the results of that investigation are revealed, the truth will come to light and justice will be done," Haley said.

Luke
08-03-2009, 01:43 PM
wow thats just crazy