PDA

View Full Version : Nick Diaz trying Boxing again

Mr. IWS
08-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Nick Diaz will apparently dabble in professional boxing again.

Longtime promoter, matchmaker and manager Don Chagrin today announced he has signed the 26-year-old southpaw and that Diaz has received permission from Strikeforce to compete in both sports.

No date or opponent were determined for Diaz, who was recently scratched from this weekend's Strikeforce card and a title fight with Jay Hieron after skipping a mandatory drug test.

Diaz, an admitted marijuana user who holds a medical marijuana card, was ultimately replaced by Jesse Taylor, who now fights Hieron in a non-title fight Saturday at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Chagrin admits the signing of Diaz may be controversial, but only because of the whole "MMA vs. boxing" debate.

"I know the signing of a mixed-martial-arts fighter might be considered controversial by many boxing fans across the world," Chagrin stated in today's release. "When the subject of mixed martial arts vs. boxing arises, it always comes down to the boxer winning a boxing match easily and vice versa for MMA.

"However, after having seen the replays of Diaz's fights over the course of his career, I truly believe that this kid has what it takes to really make for some very entertaining fights within boxing. While some would state that he's merely a slugger possessing a good chin and a heavy work rate, there's something about his [rhythm] and fighting intelligence that really caught my eye."

Diaz boxed once professionally, more than four years ago, when he picked up a four-round unanimous-decision victory over Alfonso Rocha (now 7-4, though his pro debut came against Diaz).

Although known for a slick ground game developed with trainer Cesar Gracie, Diaz also possesses solid stand-up skills. He's used those skills often during his current five-fight win streak, which includes recent wins over Frank Shamrock and striker Scott Smith under the Strikeforce banner. And he's recently worked with notables such as former WBA and WBC world champion Luisito Espinosa and Olympic Boxing Gold Medalist Andre Ward.

Gracie said Diaz, who over the weekend lost a title shot at this Saturday's Showtime-televised Strikeforce event, eventually wants to be a two-sport champion.

"Nick is just one of those guys ready and willing to fight anybody," Gracie stated. "Literally anybody. He just loves to fight. It's been one of his career goals to become a dual-sport world champion, and I think the world is ready to see a fight in which a top MMA guy in his prime takes on a top boxing guy in his prime. It's never been done before, and I think Nick will surprise a lot of people come fight night."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15829/nick-di ... boxing.mma (http://mmajunkie.com/news/15829/nick-diaz-to-try-professional-boxing.mma)

Luke
04-18-2011, 07:39 PM
bump to show how long this BS has been going on