PDA

View Full Version : Velasquez/Carwin off? Lesnar/Carwin set for UFC 106?

SPX
08-20-2009, 12:57 AM
Looks like if either of you guys threw bets down on Carwin they may be getting that money refunded. Guess we'll see how this plays out as more develops. . .

Sources close to the event have confirmed to MMAMadness.com that Brock Lesnar will make his first official title defense against Shane Carwin at UFC 106 on November 21 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, NV.

Shane Carwin had been scheduled to take on AKA fighter Cain Velasquez in October at UFC 104. But the UFC has opted to change course. Velasquez is not hurt and his management, Zinkin Entertainment, has not heard any news regarding the bout being scratched.

Minnesota MMA confirmed our source by tweeting the news Wednesday night.

UFC 106 takes place November 21 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas NV.

Here are other rumored matches for the event:

Tito Ortiz vs. Mark Coleman

Jon Fitch vs. Ricardo Almeida

Source: http://www.mmamadness.com/2009/08/shane ... t-ufc-106/ (http://www.mmamadness.com/2009/08/shane-carwin-gets-title-shot-verses-brock-lesnar-at-ufc-106/)

Mr. IWS
08-20-2009, 08:10 AM
Im glad to see this fight, but I think Cain and Carwin should fight first to see who gets the shot, but I guess whoever wins this one will be the guy that fights Cain next.

SPX
08-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Im glad to see this fight, but I think Cain and Carwin should fight first to see who gets the shot, but I guess whoever wins this one will be the guy that fights Cain next.

I probably agree about Cain and Carwin needing to fight first. It seems only fair to Cain.

Who do you think takes it? Carwin or Lesnar?

Mr. IWS
08-20-2009, 11:26 AM
I like Lesner in that one. But if anyone has a chance, I think its Carwin. I dont think Cain can beat Lesnar.

Luke
08-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Man this pisses me off i was going to unload on Carwain at -150 against Cain.

Cain stands no chace at beating Lesnar imo he would get KO'd in less than a round.

Carwin on the other hand really needs a couple more fights before taking on Lesnar but if I can get good odds (+300 or better ) I will be all over Carwin

SPX
08-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Man this pisses me off i was going to unload on Carwain at -150 against Cain.

Cain stands no chace at beating Lesnar imo he would get KO'd in less than a round.

Carwin on the other hand really needs a couple more fights before taking on Lesnar but if I can get good odds (+300 or better ) I will be all over Carwin

Agreed. If anyone will be Lesnar right now it will be Carwin with his Hands of Death. Seriously, one touch seems to be all it takes to put people out. But I do agree that he's not quite ready yet. He should have to fight Cain first. That was the right course of action.

Oh well. If I can get a good price on Carwin then I'll probably drop something small and hope for the best.

Mr. IWS
08-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Looks like Ben Rothwell will step up and fight Cain. This will be a nice test for Cain, Rothwell is a solid heavyweight.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/rothwe ... quez-19220 (http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/rothwell-agrees-to-fight-velasquez-19220)

Ben Rothwell has verbally agreed to meet Cain Velasquez in a heavyweight bout at UFC 104 on Oct. 24 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, according to sources with knowledge of the negotiations.

It is not yet known whether Velasquez has accepted the fight.

If signed, Rothwell will replace Shane Carwin, who was moved to a heavyweight title bout against Brock Lesnar at UFC 106 on Nov. 21 in Las Vegas.

Rothwell was scheduled to face Chase Gormley on Oct. 24 in a bout first made by Affliction Entertainment for its cancelled Aug. 1 event.

An IFL standout, Rothwell has won 16 out of 18 bouts since 2004, including victories over Roy Nelson, Ricco Rodriguez and Krzysztof Soszynski. The Wisconsin native submitted Chris Guillen with elbows in the first round at Adrenaline MMA 2 last December.

Velasquez, a two-time All-American wrestler for Arizona State, is undefeated in the Octagon. He earned a unanimous decision over Cheick Kongo at UFC 99 on June 13 in Cologne, Germany -- the first time the 27-year-old had been taken the distance. The American Kickboxing Academy student also owns wins from strikes against Denis Stojnic and Jake O’Brien.