PDA

View Full Version : Slate Article Re: Fedor's Absence from the UFC

SPX
08-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Interesting read here. Give it a look. . .

http://www.slate.com/id/2225717/

Mr. IWS
08-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Will the absence of the world's best fighter, Russia's Fedor Emelianenko, halt UFC's ascent to the big leagues?

The UFC is the king of PPV. They are in the big leagues.

Luke
08-20-2009, 11:55 PM
How can anyone blame Fedor? He gets probably just as much money to fight in Strikeforce and face B and C level fighters than going to the UFC signing a lifetime contract and fighting A level fighters. He was getting huge money in Affliciton and I'm sure he's getting a boat load from strikeforce I mean hell they gave Carano 125k thats more than 90% of UFC fighter make. Plus he owns part of M-1 and since they are co promoting with Strikeforce he's probably getting a big chunk of the profits

SPX
08-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Not sure that I can BLAME him, but from info that's been released, I think the UFC offered him tons of cash, just not co-promotion/cut of the profits. But they offered huge base pay and a cut of the PPV profits.

Besides, is money everything? Call me old fashioned, but what about just wanting to face the best in the world? The fact of the matter is that until he faces Lesnar, he's not the undisputed best HW in the world.

Luke
08-21-2009, 12:25 AM
Not sure that I can BLAME him, but from info that's been released, I think the UFC offered him tons of cash, just not co-promotion/cut of the profits. But they offered huge base pay and a cut of the PPV profits.

Besides, is money everything? Call me old fashioned, but what about just wanting to face the best in the world? The fact of the matter is that until he faces Lesnar, he's not the undisputed best HW in the world.

I agree with you ,they should want to face the best in the world but nowadays the ONLY thing any fighter worries about is money. Its worse in boxing I cant tell you how many fighters fight other guys that they know they have zero chance of beating just to get a big paycheck. Competition these days is on the back burner to money.