PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Silva Injures Elbow, Out For The Rest Of 2009

Luke
09-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Anderson Silva is going to undergo elbow surgery and won’t fight again this year, according to an ESPN MMA Live Twitter post

Silva was rumored to fight either Dan Henderson or Nate Marquardt who Dana White said were both “in the mix” for a shot at the title.

MMAjunkie.com spoke with Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, but he would not give any details.

This is a huge hindrance to the middleweight division since Silva hasn’t defended his middleweight belt in nearly 5 months. Depending on recovery time it will be at least 3 more months before he can return.

Silva last fought a month ago against Forrest Griffin, skillfully knocking him out in the first round.

This may set up a match between Henderson and Marquardt to find out who the #1 contender is. We will post more details as they come along.

Mr. IWS
09-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Dam, that sucks.

Mr. IWS
09-09-2009, 02:24 PM
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/9/9/1022011/ed-soares-anderson-silva-didnt-get
It came out a few days ago that Anderson Silva informed the UFC of his decision to get elbow surgery, and that he would be out until early 2010. A new report from Kevin Iole casts doubt on this story. In his weekly mailbag, in response to a question about a potential Couture-Silva superfight, Iole dropped this bombshell:
I spoke to Ed Soares, Silva's manager, and contrary to published reports, Silva has not had surgery on his elbow and is not in any way incapable of fighting in November if he's offered a fight. Soares said he hasn't spoken to Silva about fighting Couture yet, and stressed that such a fight has never been discussed with the UFC. But he did say, "Anderson wants to fight the biggest and the best fighters out there and Randy Couture falls into that category. After Anderson saw the way he fought Rodrigo Nogueira, he said he became an even bigger Randy Couture fan."
I assume we'll get the surgery issue cleared up in a few days. Perhaps it was just a case of wrong information, or perhaps Anderson didn't want to fight overseas? I don't know the answer, and even the latter explanation doesn't really make sense. If he really is healthy, I suspect they are saving Anderson for the New Year's show, and can't afford to give away another main event in November.
The prospect of a Randy Couture fight is absolutely frightening and intriguing at the same time, and it may be the kind of big gun they're willing to pull out if Rampage and Rashad are delayed for longer than expected. Couture would be (at least) a +400 underdog, but then again, maybe that's the best way to sell a Randy fight. I heard him on Sherdog radio on Wednesday saying he wants to fight Anderson Silva.
Another interesting theory is they're holding Anderson out to fight on a rumored "unannounced" card that they supposedly intend to put up against Fedor Emelianenko's Strikeforce debut. Is it possible that BJ Penn moving to December 12th had nothing to do with the death of a network deal, and that Anderson will main event the extra rumored show? If Anderson really is healthy it really makes you wonder what is going on.

Luke
09-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Well the biggest fight that came to my mind when I said Randy should go to light heavyweight was him vs Silva so I'm not the only one thinking this.

Of course Anderson could probably beat Couture with one bad elbow. Maybe he'll just tie one arm behind his back

SPX
09-10-2009, 10:58 AM
The plot thickens. . .

Anderson ‘The Spider’ Silva is not injured and would be interested for a fight with former UFC heavyweight champion Randy ‘The Natural’ Couture, according to his manager.

Recent reports that the middleweight champion is having surgery on his elbow and will be out until 2010 are inaccurate, Ed Soares told Yahoo! Sports.

“Anderson wants to fight the biggest and the best fighters out there and Randy Couture falls into that category. After Anderson saw the way he fought Rodrigo Nogueira, he said he became an even bigger Randy Couture fan,” he said.

However, Soares did stress that the UFC has neither offered nor even discussed a Couture fight with Silva, who is coming off a light-heavyweight win over Forrest Griffin at UFC 101.

The middleweight division is displaying a decided paucity of challengers at present, although Dan Henderson and Nate Marquardt are both angling for a second shot at Silva’s title.

As a result, Silva is known to be interested in taking ‘super fights’ at light-heavyweight, a division which Couture looks likely to drop down to following his loss to Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 102.

Soares also told Yahoo! Sports that Silva is ready to fight as soon as November if the UFC offers him the right fight.

Mr. IWS
09-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Coutour vs Silva would be a good fight to watch. I wouldnt mind that as all.

zY|
09-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Coutour vs Silva would be a good fight to watch. I wouldnt mind that as all.

Heh. I don't really want to see it. I think it would end up being kinda sad, like watching Mo vs Mark Kerr.

Mr. IWS
09-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Dont get me wrong, I think Silva wins by KO, but I think IF Couture can get a hold of him, he can take him down and at the very least, keep it competitive.

Easier said than done though.

SPX
09-10-2009, 02:04 PM
I think Couture needs a win. Though not sure who he should fight who would be a legit threat, while also being someone Couture would most likely beat. Maybe Kongo? Though that's probably not a big enough name for Mr. Superfight. I would actually probably give him a good shot against Carwin, too.

Mr. IWS
09-10-2009, 02:07 PM
If Coture really does drop to 205, I would like to see him fight guys a guys like Jardine, Tito, or Coleman.

SPX
09-10-2009, 02:16 PM
If Coture really does drop to 205, I would like to see him fight guys a guys like Jardine, Tito, or Coleman.

Oh yeah, that's right. I wasn't thinking LHW.

I think your suggestions are good.

zY|
09-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Yeah I think he'd beat up Tito again and a Coleman fight would be interesting. Yes, he'd have a chance against Kongo and maybe even Carwin but the thing is it seems like Randy can't take a shot anymore. If Kongo hit Randy with those punches he landed on Cain or the shot Carwin hit Gonzaga with, Randy would be waking up in the hospital.

Mr. IWS
09-10-2009, 02:25 PM
I think SPX said it best on Carwin, that dude has the death touch. He hits you, you go to sleep. LOL