PDA

View Full Version : Couture Vs Vera official

Mr. IWS
09-14-2009, 03:07 PM
I think this is a great opponent for Randy, and I think he will be a fav around -170 range.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Update ... -105-19658 (http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Update-Couture-Vera-Official-for-UFC-105-19658)

UFC hall of famer Randy Couture will meet Brandon Vera in the UFC 105 main event on Nov. 15 at the Manchester Evening News Arena in Manchester, England. The UFC announced the matchup Monday after BloodyElbow.com and The Daily Telegraph had reported it the day before.

The fight will be Couture’s first as a light heavyweight since he lost to Chuck Liddell in February 2006, ending a memorable trilogy that helped carry the UFC into a new era of prominence. The 46-year-old mixed martial arts legend last appeared at UFC 102 in August, when he dropped a unanimous decision to Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira -- the only man to hold the Pride Fighting Championships and UFC heavyweight crowns. Couture has lost his last two fights at heavyweight, leading some to question his place in the division. One of the sport’s most decorated competitors, he holds victories against six former UFC champions, including Liddell, Tito Ortiz and Vitor Belfort (twice).

Vera, who turns 32 in October, has posted back-to-back wins since his split decision loss to Keith Jardine at UFC 89. A skilled muay Thai striker and grappler, he cruised to a unanimous verdict against Krzysztof Soszynski at UFC 102. Seven of his 11 career victories have come by knockout or technical knockout, a 69-second drubbing of former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir included.

Other bouts already confirmed for UFC 105 include a middleweight matchup pairing Michael Bisping with Denis Kang and a pivotal welterweight showdown pitting Dan Hardy against the undefeated Dong Hyun Kim.

UFC 105: Couture vs. Vera
Saturday, Nov. 14
Manchester Evening News Arena
Manchester, England

Randy Couture vs. Brandon Vera
Michael Bisping vs. Denis Kang
Dan Hardy vs. Dong Hyun Kim
Aaron Riley vs. Ross Pearson
Paul Taylor vs. John Hathaway
Matt Riddle vs. Nick Osipczak
Alexander Gustafsson vs. Jared Hamman
Terry Etim vs. Shannon Gugerty

SPX
09-14-2009, 03:28 PM
I think this is a great opponent for Randy, and I think he will be a fav around -170 range.

But let me guess. . . You won't be betting on this one, right?

Mr. IWS
09-14-2009, 03:30 PM

But let me guess. . . You won't be betting on this one, right?

Why does that seem to be a problem for you?

SPX
09-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Why does that seem to be a problem for you?

Ha ha, I'm mostly just giving you shit, although I admit that sometimes I feel a little isolated when I seem to be the only one doing any actual wagering on MMA around here. (Though Luke does ride with me sometimes.)

I mean damn, we need some wagering going on on this here wagering forum!

Mr. IWS
09-14-2009, 03:37 PM
I pick my spots in MMA now. The object for me is to win, and you can click the link below and see that MMA is about the only thing I win at.

http://www.investwithsports.com/topplays.html

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4920&p=34110#p34110 (http://www.investwithsports.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4920&p=34110#p34110)

SPX
09-14-2009, 03:43 PM
I pick my spots in MMA now. The object for me is to win, and you can click the link below and see that MMA is about the only thing I win at.

http://www.investwithsports.com/topplays.html

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4920&p=34110#p34110 (http://www.investwithsports.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4920&p=34110#p34110)

I've noticed that you seem to be extremely cautious. Personally, I prefer to have some action on every card and I figure if you're too cautious then you're definitely passing up some +EV opportunities. Plus, it just adds to the excitement.

I also notice that you seem to bet on EVERYTHING and that you seem to be a lot more liberal in betting on sports other than MMA.

Mr. IWS
09-14-2009, 03:50 PM
I prefer to have some action on every card ......it just adds to the excitement.

Pretty much sums up every other sport for me...LOL

I also notice that you seem to bet on EVERYTHING and that you seem to be a lot more liberal in betting on sports other than MMA.

I cut a lot of my betting down in 2009. I lost over 10grand in 2008 (compared to less than 2grand in the previous two years) and the wife was not happy at all with that.

She doesnt like that I bet, but it keeps me in the house, and out of trouble, so its worth it to her I guess, but I promised her I wouldnt bet 10 games a day anymore.

Up until this month, I was right around Even for the year, so It actually helped me out as far as money management and the like, so I will continue to not bet as much. But these last couple weeks, Ive been getting killed. :burn:

SPX
09-14-2009, 04:28 PM
I cut a lot of my betting down in 2009. I lost over 10grand in 2008 (compared to less than 2grand in the previous two years) and the wife was not happy at all with that.

She doesnt like that I bet, but it keeps me in the house, and out of trouble, so its worth it to her I guess, but I promised her I wouldnt bet 10 games a day anymore.

Up until this month, I was right around Even for the year, so It actually helped me out as far as money management and the like, so I will continue to not bet as much. But these last couple weeks, Ive been getting killed. :burn:

Man, that's rough. 10 grand is like over half of my take home pay for a year. I'm 27 and just started back to school after 5 years off. I'm a poor college student again. I work 30 hours a week for $13/hr. Unit size is $20 and that's working off of about a $500 bankroll right now, so even for such a small unit size I am underfunded (but I know going any lower will mean that I basically will just make no money at all). My goal right now is that build up to 2K so I will have a proper bankroll for my unit size and will be able to afford the occasional 5 unit bet.

$50 is a big bet for me. It's enough to put me on the edge of my seat and I'd be totally despondent if I lost it. But I can get pretty emotional with gambling, admittedly. I used to play blackjack (and still do occasionally when I get across the state line to Nevada) and if I would have a good night then it would just be the best feeling ever but if I lost then I didn't want to talk to anyone, didn't want to see anyone, just wanted to be alone. Sucky feeling for sure.

Mr. IWS
09-14-2009, 04:38 PM
I know what your saying. I bet 100 bucks a game, some times 200, but rarely more than that. One of the Mods, RedHott, his unit is 500, but mostly way more than that. he had 5000 (10 units) on Auburn Saturday night.

Its all relatve though, you get the same feeling winning your unit, that I do, and Redhott does. Thats all that really matters.

Mr. IWS
09-14-2009, 04:40 PM
I've noticed that you seem to be extremely cautious.

Another member here, Natural Born Thriller (my neighbor), he is like that, but he is very solid in every sport. He only bets like one or two games per week, 500 bucks a game.

SPX
09-14-2009, 04:49 PM
I know what your saying. I bet 100 bucks a game, some times 200, but rarely more than that. One of the Mods, RedHott, his unit is 500, but mostly way more than that. he had 5000 (10 units) on Auburn Saturday night.

Its all relatve though, you get the same feeling winning your unit, that I do, and Redhott does. Thats all that really matters.

I usually have between $100 and $200 on each event. I'll be glad when I can do that per fight. I've found that I've been slowly increasing my bet size as time goes on, both because my bankroll has been increasing (probably about even as far as betting goes but I've been depositing more and more whenever I've been able to) and also because I'm just eager to build up to an amount where I'll actually be making some legitimate money.

Between UFN 19 and UFC 103 I have about $225 spread out across various fights for this week's events. A lot of that is on guy's who are fairly heavy favorites though so the payouts aren't great. $60 on Griffin, $50 on Cantwell, $50 on Quarry. All to win about $20 a piece.

SPX
09-14-2009, 04:52 PM
I've noticed that you seem to be extremely cautious.

Another member here, Natural Born Thriller (my neighbor), he is like that, but he is very solid in every sport. He only bets like one or two games per week, 500 bucks a game.

I've actually wondered if I should take a more cautious approach. For instance, for UFC 103 instead of making like 4 different bets, should I may just take it all and put it on the guy I'm MOST confident in? Like, $125 on just on Griffin instead of $125 spread out. In general, I usually don't like to have all my eggs in one basket, though. It's great if you're winning, but it seems like even the occasional loss will bring you back to even pretty quickly.

Mr. IWS
09-15-2009, 09:42 AM
should I may just take it all and put it on the guy I'm MOST confident in? Like, $125 on just on Griffin instead of $125 spread out.

Thats what I have been doing this year, and while the action isnt nearly as fun, Im winning, and thats the important part.

Im not saying what I do is the best, its what works for me. If the way your doing it works for you, then dont change it up.

SPX
09-15-2009, 11:05 AM
should I may just take it all and put it on the guy I'm MOST confident in? Like, $125 on just on Griffin instead of $125 spread out.

Thats what I have been doing this year, and while the action isnt nearly as fun, Im winning, and thats the important part.

Im not saying what I do is the best, its what works for me. If the way your doing it works for you, then dont change it up.

It's up and down. I did pretty well at UFC 100 and 101, and had a tiny win at the last WEC, but then gave most of it back at the last Strikeforce and UFC 102.

I think in the end it will be very difficult for me not to bet if I think I see value. I think I see it in the same way that I see card counting: You may not win every hand where you have the advantage based on the count, but you should come out ahead in the "long run" after many, many hands. I guess I'm looking at fights the same way. You may not win any individual fight just because you've identified value and have an edge, but if you do that on enough fights then in the end you should come out ahead.