PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like Cro Cop is hanging it up.

Mr. IWS
09-21-2009, 12:12 PM
One of the all time greats IMO. These kids are just bigger, faster, and stronger now.

“Maybe the ones who have said that I’m done are right. Obviously, I can’t break my mental block in the Octagon. Besides, I’ve been training like a spartan for 20 years now — my body is worn out. The years caught up to me, I’ve been worn out…. [Junior dos Santos] won that fight and would have won it by decision. Simply put, he is younger, more hungry, more aggressive. He wanted to win a lot more…. The mat was slippery like glass. I almost fell down trying to do the left high kick. But I’m not looking for an alibi. This was not the performance the public would pay for. I don’t feel the hunger anymore. I started playing it safe, I’m not ready to take risks. I would like to thank everybody that supported me and stood by me and everyone who helped me to prepare for this fight. I’ve been living a military life for 20 years now. Getting up at 6 a.m. and having physically challenging task up to 8 p.m. I want a normal life. I’m entering a cage and thinking about fishing in Privlaka. You can’t win that way. Maybe I should’ve quit after I won the open weight grand prix.”

Legendary mixed martial arts fighter, Mirko Cro Cop, reflects on his submission (verbal) loss to Junior dos Santos at UFC 103: “Franklin vs. Belfort” from the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas, on Sept. 19. He was beaten to the punch, and pretty much beat up, in what essentially turned out to be a striking match for two-plus rounds. The Croatian waved off the Brazilian in the third after eating a brutal knee to the face that wiped out his vision. It marked his third loss inside the Octagon in five attempts — a far cry from the world beater who was scalping his opponents just three years ago under the Pride FC banner. In fact, he has not defeated a top-level fighter he made Josh Barnett quit at “Final Conflict Absolute,” which earned him the Pride FC 2006 Open Weight Grand Prix Championship. Prior to the loss to dos Santos, Cro Cop signed a multi-fight deal with the UFC, saying he wanted to compete as often as possible and make one final run at heavyweight glory. It’s too early to tell, but could these remarks signal the end of the road of Cro Cop’s long and distinguished professional career, which dates back to the mid 1990s?

SPX
09-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I read about this yesterday.

Isn't he in a contract now, though?

Mr. IWS
09-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Im pretty sure he has a 3 fight deal, but if he retires, the UFC holds his contract until he completes all the fights, like Couture did a couple years ago when he "retired" but couldnt come back and fight Fedor.

SPX
09-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Im pretty sure he has a 3 fight deal, but if he retires, the UFC holds his contract until he completes all the fights, like Couture did a couple years ago when he "retired" but couldnt come back and fight Fedor.

Well if it's 3 fights then that leaves one more. He might as well just get it over with and get paid. Then he can go fishing or whatever it is he wants to do.

Mr. IWS
09-21-2009, 01:32 PM
I dont know if that first one against Al Turk counted on the contract. I think that was a verbal deal they did, which was the problem with Mirko wanting to go to dream.

Im pretty sure this was the first fight on the deal.

Luke
09-23-2009, 12:22 AM
I dont think he's done by any account but I think he's one of those fighters that will never look good in an octagon.Put him back into a ring and I bet he can win some fights.

He was a kickboxer before MMA and has fought 90% of his MMA career in a ring so I just dont think he feels confortable in a octagon.

Of course I maybe completely wrong and he maybe just finished .

I bet if they put someone like Frank Mir or Lesnar in a pride ring they would also look bad. These two are use to holding someone up against a cage and being able to punch,kick ,and put pressure on their opponent something you cant do in a ring

Mr. IWS
09-24-2009, 10:16 AM
http://www.nokaut.com/?id=12&solo_news=4148&lang=e&title=Mirko+%22Cro+Cop%22+Filipovic+Officially+Ret ires+From+MMA
Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, one of the most feared fighters over the last decade, has decided to end his career following his loss to Junior Dos Santos last Saturday at UFC 103. The most famous Croatian cop, has decided to retire immediately, stating another comeback is not an option. Nokaut.com was able to exclusively confirm the news earlier today.
Said Cro Cop; "I have no motivation left and it's time to leave. Thank you all for supporting me."
One of the most severly struck by the news, is Zvonimir Lucic, Mirko's manager and most reliable cornerstone throughout Cro Cop's numerous battles. Following his last conversation with Mirko, Mr. Lucic was instructed to release all Team Cro Cop members from their respective duties, officially ending an era spanning 15 years of blood, sweat and tears at Cro Cop's headquarters.
Today is a sad day for all Cro Cop fans worldwide as one of the most beloved and inspiring icons in combat sports has decided to walk away from competition and hang up his gloves for good.

SPX
09-24-2009, 10:43 AM
RIP Cro Cop

I never really watched PRIDE so I don't have the same attachment to the guy that others do, but I recognize what he's done in the sport and the dominant force he once was.

Mr. IWS
09-24-2009, 10:48 AM
RIP Cro Cop

I never really watched PRIDE so I don't have the same attachment to the guy that others do, but I recognize what he's done in the sport and the dominant force he once was.

Some of my favorites from Mirko in pride:

OWGP vs Wandy Silva and Barnett

Vs Big Nog, he lost, but was a great fight

Vs Aleks Emeliananko. ( I love Aleks, but that was a highlight reel KO)

and I always LOL at his K1 fight vs Bob Sapp. He had that big boy crying on the floor.

Luke
09-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Looks like he's not done yet

Luke
09-28-2009, 12:31 AM
In a week of retirements and semi firings from the UFC, it appears now, Mirko “CroCop” Filipovic has changed his mind about quitting MMA.

The former Pride champion spoke with Croation newspaper Slobodna Dalmacija, and said he thinks he will honor his final two bouts remaining on his current UFC contract, “Often things can get on top of you but I cannot say that I don’t love this sport. It’s hard for me to decide now but I think that I will do these last two fights for UFC. This thing is stronger than me. Sometimes the mind says yes but the heart says no.”

After suffering a third round loss to Junior Dos Santos at UFC 103, by way of verbal submission, it seemed the Croatian fighter was all but done with mixed martial arts. He was quoted after the fight as saying he didn’t have the hunger anymore, and his storied career was apparently coming to end. It was also reported by Nokaut.com that his training partners were to disband because they were no longer needed, and all accounts it looked like Filipovic was done after his third run in the UFC.

But after the interview with the Croatian newspaper it appears the once feared fighter is not ready after all, “Take for example, when a man spends 30 years in prison, you let him out; he robs a store and takes only a pack of cigarettes, just to be returned to prison because they can not live outside. This is my fear. The problem is that my way of life is saturated with this military discipline, which does not allow for such things as Christmas or New Year holidays. Training is never a problem – I think I missed five or six sessions in my entire life and never just because I couldn’t be bothered.”

With the majority of his life being a fighter, it comes as no surprise that Filipovic it not ready to quit yet. He has entertained the thought more than a few times, but has always found his way back to the ring. The way Mirko tells it, it will be his decision alone when he hangs it up, “I thank everyone for their support, for watching and following me, but I hate that I am expected to answer to people,” he said about retirement. “This is my decision. My blood, my sweat, my tears – as such I don’t owe anybody anything. The day I say I won’t do it anymore I’ll stick to my word. But I still haven’t said that and I haven’t decided that this is the end. I know I must rest well and decide.”