PDA

View Full Version : Hershel Walker signs with Strikeforce?

Mr. IWS
09-21-2009, 12:15 PM
This could be Johnny Morton all over again.

The former NFL running back will immediately enter an 8-to-12 week training camp with the American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, Calif.

Strikeforce director of communications Mike Afromowitz said it's too early to speculate when the 47-year-old will make his debut with the organization but it will probably be sometime in 2010.

"This isn't a publicity stunt or a gimmick," Afromowitz said. "Herschel Walker has tremendous athleticism, and he has always shown that off the gridiron. He's accomplished a lot in his life and in the world of sports. His accomplishments speak for themselves, and we hope that his athleticism can transition into a successful MMA career."

Although Walker is known for his football career, he does have a sixth-degree black belt in taekwondo and competed in the 1992 Winter Olympics in the two-man bobsled, finishing seventh.

In November 2007, Walker announced on HDNet's Inside MMA that he would appear on a MMA reality show with Jose Canseco and other former professional athletes, however, the show never made it past the pre-production stages.

In 1999, the former University of Georgia star was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame. An 11-year NFL veteran and two-time Pro Bowl rusher, Walker played for the Dallas Cowboys, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles and New York Giants. On Saturday, Walker's name was included on the Pro Football Hall of Fame's preliminary list of nominees for the 2010 induction class.

Afromowitz said Walker will compete as a heavyweight.

Luke
09-23-2009, 12:23 AM
This will end bad imo

Mr. IWS
09-24-2009, 06:39 PM
LOL, Dana puts his two cents in.

http://mmasportsreport.com/550/dana-whi ... o-try-golf (http://mmasportsreport.com/550/dana-white-on-herschel-walker-he-might-want-to-try-golf)

Dana White spoke with Michael Chiappetta on Inside the Ultimate Fighter about Strikeforce’s signing of former NFL star Herschel Walker. As you can guess, he had some strong opinions against it. White said,

“I think it’s ridiculous. It’s one of those things, people think that we ‘re anti-competition but we’ re anti-dumb competition. You know, Doing stupid things like this like putting a 50 year old guy in the octagon for the first time, and then going out there putting out press releases like it’s a big deal because you sign a 50 year old Herschel Walker. Are you serious?

You want to know something, the guy who runs the business, Scott Croker, he’s the guy that started Strikeforce. Let’s be honest, Strikeforce is a small little regional show. The geniuses over at Showtime, these guys are the most arrogant, pompous, cocky jackasses I’ve never met in my whole life.

… Now they’re going to put in a 50 year-old Herschel Walker who’s never fought a day in his life, it’s disgusting. I want to see which athletic commission is going to let this guy fight… You want to start picking up a sport at 47, it shouldn’t fucking be mixed martial arts. He might want to try golf…

Herschel Walker has never even fought before, it’s completely disrespectful to the sport. You know what’s even better than that? Who the fuck are they going to find to fight Herschel Walker? A guy in a wheelchair?…I wouldn’t even put Herschel Walker on The Ultimate Fighter.”

zY|
09-25-2009, 01:12 AM
Giant who cares.