PDA

View Full Version : Mayweather fight yields 1 million buys

Luke
09-25-2009, 01:07 PM
The return of welterweight Floyd Mayweather Jr., who easily outpointed Juan Manuel Marquez after 21 months in retirement last Saturday at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, generated an astonishing 1 million pay-per-view buys, HBO announced Friday.

Despite a fight many viewed as a mismatch between the bigger and faster Mayweather and the smaller and slower lightweight champion Marquez moving up in weight, the fight was a giant success on pay-per-view -- especially considering it went head-to-head with a UFC pay-per-view card. Many industry experts had expected a pay-per-view buy rate in the 600,000 to 700,000 range.

The fight generated $52 million in domestic pay-per-view revenue and is only the fifth time in boxing PPV history that a non-heavyweight event has reached seven figures.

Luke
09-25-2009, 01:11 PM
No numbers on UFC 103 but I saw this:

Days after the Floyd Mayweather Jr-Juan Manuel Marquez fight went head-to-head with UFC 103 on pay-per-view, Golden Boy Promotions is declaring that boxing scored a knockout victory over MMA, with four or five times as many buys as the UFC

I expected 650-700k in buys from the Mayweather fight but it did alot better than that. I also expected 400-500k from the UFC and it didnt sound like it did .

They did say that UFC 100 out did the mayweather fight

SPX
09-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Well no surprise here really. You can't really expect a huge boxing event--which is fairly rare--to outdo a relatively minor UFC, especially when you get UFCs every month.

Luke
09-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Well no surprise here really. You can't really expect a huge boxing event--which is fairly rare--to outdo a relatively minor UFC, especially when you get UFCs every month.

I expected it to do more buys but not that many more