PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Silva vs Vitor Belfort set for UFC 108

Luke
09-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Bone spurs be damned, the UFC is looking for Anderson Silva to be ready for its first card in 2010. UFC president Dana White told Lance Pugmire of the L.A. Times that Silva will defend his UFC middleweight title belt against Vitor Belfort on Jan. 2 at UFC 108 in Las Vegas. There's been a little back and forth between the UFC and the Silva on whether he was getting bone spurs removed from his elbow. White would like to see him get it done as soon as possible, while Silva and his manager Ed Soares appear to be dragging their feet on a decision.

The timing of the White announcement is interesting considering the fact that middleweight contender Dan Henderson was in Las Vegas this week working on his next contract. A sticking point in the deal was thought to be when Hendo would get his shot at a Silva rematch. Now rumors are flying that Henderson will face Nate Marquardt on this same card in a title eliminator.

Henderson was under the impression that his fight against Michael Bisping at UFC 100 was a title eliminator. Henderson crushed Bisping with a devastating knockout. All summer he's been saying that the only fight he wants is that match against Silva. Two weeks ago, Belfort returned to the UFC after a near five years layoff, and beat former middleweight champ Rich Franklin in less than four minutes. Both Henderson and Marquardt lost title shots against Silva. It's clear the promotion wants a fresh face to step in there against "The Spider."

With Quinton Jackson's hissy fit/retirement, rumors are also swirling that Rashad Evans, who was supposed to fight Rampage on Dec. 12, may now fight Thiago Silva at UFC 108.

Mr. IWS
09-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Will be a great fight!

SPX
09-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Belfort crushed both Lindland and Franklin. Could be possibly be the guy to dethrone Silva? I think it's an intriguing possibility.

As for Nate/Hendo and Rashad/Silva, I'll put money on Nate if I can get some good odds on him. I expect he'll at least be a small underdog. And I'll put money on Rashad against Silva all day long.

Mr. IWS
09-26-2009, 07:22 PM
That nate/hendo fight is a toss up to me, but I would get on Silva against Rashad.

SPX
09-26-2009, 07:27 PM
That nate/hendo fight is a toss up to me, but I would get on Silva against Rashad.

Silva just does not really impress me. Not sure why. I mean, he is undefeated other than his loss to Machida, and I get that, but he seems sloppy to me and who has he really beat? His only big win in my mind is Jardine and Jardine is known for having big problems with aggressive brawlers. I'd probably see value in Rashad at -170 or better. He's fast as hell and hits hard.

Mr. IWS
09-26-2009, 07:35 PM
I gotta see what the line would be. I get the same feeling you have in Silva, about Rashad. Ive bet against him in 4 of his last 5 fights, and Im actually down money betting against him. (Still pissed at Tito for grabbing the cage)

SPX
09-26-2009, 08:36 PM
I gotta see what the line would be. I get the same feeling you have in Silva, about Rashad. Ive bet against him in 4 of his last 5 fights, and Im actually down money betting against him. (Still pissed at Tito for grabbing the cage)

I used to think that way about Rashad. I was always like, "Okay, just wait until he faces a REAL fighter." But after he KOd Chuck, I was like Hmm, well he apparently has some damn power. Then he beat Forrest, which I thought was a very solid win, and I accepted that he's a very solid fighter. I actually he has improved a ton and his time with Greg Jackson and GSP has done him well.

zY|
09-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Silva over Belfort all day, should be an entertaining fight though. Rashad T. Silva all day too. Thiago is so overrated.

Mr. IWS
11-02-2009, 10:52 AM
In whats becoming a common theme lately, this one is off too.

Anderson Silva out of UFC 108 vs Belfort.

"The latest is he's not fighting Jan. 2. That's not going to happen. He won't be ready."

As for when Silva will be ready to fight again, Soares said nothing is yet certain.

"We have to wait and see. Anderson went back to Brazil, and he's continuing his physical therapy there. But there's no set date yet."

But Soares insisted the progress was ahead-of-schedule, and Silva fans have no cause for concern.

"Anderson's recovery is going really, really well," Soares said. "He's coming back, and his recovery is doing really good. His physical therapy is going really well. He's getting better range of motion. He'll be back 100 percent for sure."

While he's not sure exactly when Silva will again step into the octagon, Soares assumes Belfort will still be the opponent on the opposite side of cage.

"I think it's going to be Vitor when Anderson comes back. That's what I'm assuming."

And though Soares has openly questioned the UFC's decision to grant Belfort a middleweight title shot despite the fact that he has yet to fight in the organization at 185 pounds, Silva's manager said he and his fighter are now looking forward to the test.

"At the end of the day, it's going to be a great fight. Like I said before, I don't think [Belfort] deserves a title shot, but that's over with now. It is what it is.

"Whoever the UFC puts in front of us, we'll fight. We've never picked our opponents."

SPX
11-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Stupid.

Although Belfort did say that he doesn't feel that he's ready for Anderson yet, so maybe it's for the best.